UCONN (OOS) vs. Stony Brook (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnmddl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently committed to UCONN but I recently was accepted to Stony Brook's dental school. I am New York State resident so I would be paying state tuition for Stony all 4 years and in-state tuition for UCONN for 3 years and out-of-state tuition for the first year.

However, after calculating costs of attendance for both schools they were more or less the same (UCONN: $323k and Stony: $327k.

What merits do each school have over each other? I know both class sizes are similar and curriculums are integrated with the med school for the first 1-2 years.

Anyone who was previously in my position, please let me know which school you ended up attending.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to cheapest.

UConn is still cheaper because you would lose the deposit and pay another deposit if you go somewhere else

Go to cheapest.

UConn is still cheaper because you would lose the deposit and pay another deposit if you go somewhere else

That deposit is a drop in a bucket compared to what OP will pay whether going to Stony or UCONN. Both programs are very similar: integrated med school curriculum, small class size, suburban area. At this point I'd recommend considering where you'd be most happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Biased opinion: UConn is the best so go there! :nod:
Non-biased opinion: Go to the one that you liked the most. Both schools are great options. You really can’t go wrong with either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about UConn. I agree with NewEngland though, with how similar the costs are, pick the one you see yourself happier at.

some big differences I forgot to mention is that UConn does team based learning and has newly renovated facilities (if that’s important to you). They’re both great programs so you can’t make a wrong decision. Maybe it’ll come down to this: where do you want to practice after school? Do you want to be in a new environment or stay in NY which I assume is closer to your family?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

UConn is a better school, they also have a tremendous record of getting graduates into residency programs. Save some cash, get a better education.

It seems like some people like to say “cheapest” just to say it. Ofc, tuition and student loans is a big factor.

In this case however, it’s not relevant because for all intents and purposes it’s the same price. (You can cut down a drop and pay $322k and even less for Stony Brook if you so choose - it’s really a drop in the bucket like NewEngland123 said).

It would make zero sense not to go to stony brook if you wanted to because you may lose your deposit at UConn...

In regards to residency programs, I believe stony brook matched every (or nearly every) student to the residency of his/her choosing. So UConn doesn’t necessarily have upper hand in that.

It really comes down to location and the actual school. Where would you be closer to friends & family? Is that important to you? Which has better facilities? Which school impressed you more on interview day? Those are the things to think about.

UConn is a better school, they also have a tremendous record of getting graduates into residency programs. Save some cash, get a better education.

Stony has been matching more into specialties than Uconn the past few years?..... how can you say they are the better school based off of that. We matched 5 into OS and 6 into ortho this year.