UCSD and other California Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FilosandZ

Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first time posting here and I really need some advice. I wanted to know my shot at getting into a California post-bacc with a low GPA and low ECs, or should I take another year off to gain experience? Here's my background:

I went to community college for 3 years after high school and got a 3.196 cGPA and 2.97 sGPA. I transferred to UCSD as BS Biochem/Chem (minored in Gen. Bio) and got a 3.4 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA. If I calculated that right, I have an overall 3.289 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA after 5 years in undergrad. During my undergrad, I worked many part-time jobs, a 1 year internship at a place that teaches science to children and 1 year protein lab research (presented at a symposium). The most consistent thing I've done is work in specialty coffee (a super side hobby, I know I am a snob) for 3 years.

I took a year off because my dad got a heart attack, and honestly, I also didn't know what I was doing. I am currently taking anatomy and stats right now and will be earning my clinical medical assistant by June and hopefully get a job asap. Should I attempt to apply next year for 2021-2022 cycle for UCSD post bacc (my #1 choice) or any CA post bacc, or am I not competitive because of my low EC's and GPA?

I know this was long but THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to read and help me through this!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if I can help much as I am starting now as well just to figure out the post bacc process . As far as California goes they have quite a bit of schools to choose from . I requested an appt to speak to the adviser and a few did call back and are quite helpful(some of the advisers are students waiting to apply to med )

They did say GPA's were not a main criteria but they wanted a well rounded candidate . Fees does run up to 35k though

I am yet to reach out to CNU ( i do see it has a bad rep at SDN ) but am going to talk to them anyways .

California Northstate University (CNU)MPS to MD (2 + 4)-Combined ProgramsMPS to MD (2+4)-PathwaysAhmed El-Shamy
P: 6465451958
E: [email protected]
California State University, East Bay
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Professional
Health Academic ProgramPre-Professional Health Academic Program | California State University, East BayPHAP
P: 5108854764
Chapman UniversityPre-Health Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Health Post Baccalaureate ProgramErika Orejola
P: 7145327791
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Enhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-MedicineEnhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Medicine | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Post Bacc Team
P:
Loyola Marymount University-Los AngelesLMU Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate Program - Loyola Marymount UniversityCourtney Klipp, MS
P: 3103387704
San Francisco State UniversityPre-Health Professions Certificate Programhttp://prehealth.sfsu.eduAdmissions Coordinators
P: 4153382410
Scripps CollegePost-Baccalaureate Premedical Program- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical ProgramDeEttra Mulay
P: 9096218764
UC Berkeley ExtensionPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions Certificate ProgramPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions ProgramTiffani Quan, Ph.D.
P: 5106436901
UC Davis School of MedicinePostbaccalaureate ProgramPostbaccalaureate Program | UC Davis Office of Student and Resident DiversityMary Rose Saint-Cyr Program Coordinator
P: 9167342615
UC Irvine School of MedicineUC Irvine School of Medicine Postbaccalaureate Programhttp://www.meded.uci.edu/admissions/postbaccalaureate.aspSarah Scali
P: 9498245388
UC San DiegoUC San Diego Post Baccalaureate Premedical Programhttp://postbacpremed.ucsd.edu/Amie Becker
P: 8585349265
UCLA ExtensionPre-Medical and General Science Studies Certificatehttp://health.uclaextension.edu/premedcert/Sid Sreekaram
P: 3108257093
University of California, IrvineUCI School Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programhttp://postbacc.bio.uci.eduJenna Bague-Sampson
P: 9498240326

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure if I can help much as I am starting now as well just to figure out the post bacc process . As far as California goes they have quite a bit of schools to choose from . I requested an appt to speak to the adviser and a few did call back and are quite helpful(some of the advisers are students waiting to apply to med )

They did say GPA's were not a main criteria but they wanted a well rounded candidate . Fees does run up to 35k though

I am yet to reach out to CNU ( i do see it has a bad rep at SDN ) but am going to talk to them anyways .

California Northstate University (CNU)MPS to MD (2 + 4)-Combined ProgramsMPS to MD (2+4)-PathwaysAhmed El-Shamy
P: 6465451958
California State University, East Bay
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Professional
Health Academic ProgramPre-Professional Health Academic Program | California State University, East BayPHAP
P: 5108854764
Chapman UniversityPre-Health Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Health Post Baccalaureate ProgramErika Orejola
P: 7145327791
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Enhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-MedicineEnhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Medicine | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Post Bacc Team
P:
Loyola Marymount University-Los AngelesLMU Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate Program - Loyola Marymount UniversityCourtney Klipp, MS
P: 3103387704
San Francisco State UniversityPre-Health Professions Certificate Programhttp://prehealth.sfsu.eduAdmissions Coordinators
P: 4153382410
Scripps CollegePost-Baccalaureate Premedical Program- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical ProgramDeEttra Mulay
P: 9096218764
UC Berkeley ExtensionPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions Certificate ProgramPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions ProgramTiffani Quan, Ph.D.
P: 5106436901
UC Davis School of MedicinePostbaccalaureate ProgramPostbaccalaureate Program | UC Davis Office of Student and Resident DiversityMary Rose Saint-Cyr Program Coordinator
P: 9167342615
UC Irvine School of MedicineUC Irvine School of Medicine Postbaccalaureate ProgramPostbaccalaureate Program | Medical Education | School of Medicine | University of California, IrvineSarah Scali
P: 9498245388
UC San DiegoUC San Diego Post Baccalaureate Premedical ProgramUC San Diego Extension | Continuing Education | UC San Diego ExtensionAmie Becker
P: 8585349265
UCLA ExtensionPre-Medical and General Science Studies CertificatePre-Medical & General Science Studies Certificate | Health SciencesSid Sreekaram
P: 3108257093
University of California, IrvineUCI School Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programhttp://postbacc.bio.uci.eduJenna Bague-Sampson
P: 9498240326
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Did you apply any of them ?