UCSD and other California Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FilosandZ

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! This is my first time posting here and I really need some advice. I wanted to know my shot at getting into a California post-bacc with a low GPA and low ECs, or should I take another year off to gain experience? Here's my background:

I went to community college for 3 years after high school and got a 3.196 cGPA and 2.97 sGPA. I transferred to UCSD as BS Biochem/Chem (minored in Gen. Bio) and got a 3.4 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA. If I calculated that right, I have an overall 3.289 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA after 5 years in undergrad. During my undergrad, I worked many part-time jobs, a 1 year internship at a place that teaches science to children and 1 year protein lab research (presented at a symposium). The most consistent thing I've done is work in specialty coffee (a super side hobby, I know I am a snob) for 3 years.

I took a year off because my dad got a heart attack, and honestly, I also didn't know what I was doing. I am currently taking anatomy and stats right now and will be earning my clinical medical assistant by June and hopefully get a job asap. Should I attempt to apply next year for 2021-2022 cycle for UCSD post bacc (my #1 choice) or any CA post bacc, or am I not competitive because of my low EC's and GPA?

I know this was long but THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to read and help me through this!!
 
I am not sure if I can help much as I am starting now as well just to figure out the post bacc process . As far as California goes they have quite a bit of schools to choose from . I requested an appt to speak to the adviser and a few did call back and are quite helpful(some of the advisers are students waiting to apply to med )

They did say GPA's were not a main criteria but they wanted a well rounded candidate . Fees does run up to 35k though

I am yet to reach out to CNU ( i do see it has a bad rep at SDN ) but am going to talk to them anyways .



California Northstate University (CNU)MPS to MD (2 + 4)-Combined ProgramsMPS to MD (2+4)-PathwaysAhmed El-Shamy
P: 6465451958
E: [email protected]
California State University, East Bay
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Professional
Health Academic ProgramPre-Professional Health Academic Program | California State University, East BayPHAP
P: 5108854764
E: [email protected]
Chapman UniversityPre-Health Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Health Post Baccalaureate ProgramErika Orejola
P: 7145327791
E: [email protected]
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Enhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-MedicineEnhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Medicine | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Post Bacc Team
P:
E: [email protected]
Loyola Marymount University-Los AngelesLMU Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate Program - Loyola Marymount UniversityCourtney Klipp, MS
P: 3103387704
E: [email protected]
San Francisco State UniversityPre-Health Professions Certificate Programhttp://prehealth.sfsu.eduAdmissions Coordinators
P: 4153382410
E: [email protected]
Scripps CollegePost-Baccalaureate Premedical Program- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical ProgramDeEttra Mulay
P: 9096218764
E: [email protected]
UC Berkeley ExtensionPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions Certificate ProgramPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions ProgramTiffani Quan, Ph.D.
P: 5106436901
E: [email protected]
UC Davis School of MedicinePostbaccalaureate ProgramPostbaccalaureate Program | UC Davis Office of Student and Resident DiversityMary Rose Saint-Cyr Program Coordinator
P: 9167342615
E: [email protected]
UC Irvine School of MedicineUC Irvine School of Medicine Postbaccalaureate Programhttp://www.meded.uci.edu/admissions/postbaccalaureate.aspSarah Scali
P: 9498245388
E: [email protected]
UC San DiegoUC San Diego Post Baccalaureate Premedical Programhttp://postbacpremed.ucsd.edu/Amie Becker
P: 8585349265
E: [email protected]
UCLA ExtensionPre-Medical and General Science Studies Certificatehttp://health.uclaextension.edu/premedcert/Sid Sreekaram
P: 3108257093
E: [email protected]
University of California, IrvineUCI School Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programhttp://postbacc.bio.uci.eduJenna Bague-Sampson
P: 9498240326
E: [email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not sure if I can help much as I am starting now as well just to figure out the post bacc process . As far as California goes they have quite a bit of schools to choose from . I requested an appt to speak to the adviser and a few did call back and are quite helpful(some of the advisers are students waiting to apply to med )

They did say GPA's were not a main criteria but they wanted a well rounded candidate . Fees does run up to 35k though

I am yet to reach out to CNU ( i do see it has a bad rep at SDN ) but am going to talk to them anyways .



California Northstate University (CNU)MPS to MD (2 + 4)-Combined ProgramsMPS to MD (2+4)-PathwaysAhmed El-Shamy
P: 6465451958
E: [email protected]
California State University, East Bay
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Professional
Health Academic ProgramPre-Professional Health Academic Program | California State University, East BayPHAP
P: 5108854764
E: [email protected]
Chapman UniversityPre-Health Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Health Post Baccalaureate ProgramErika Orejola
P: 7145327791
E: [email protected]
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Enhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-MedicineEnhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Medicine | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCDU Post Bacc Team
P:
E: [email protected]
Loyola Marymount University-Los AngelesLMU Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate ProgramPre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate Program - Loyola Marymount UniversityCourtney Klipp, MS
P: 3103387704
E: [email protected]
San Francisco State UniversityPre-Health Professions Certificate Programhttp://prehealth.sfsu.eduAdmissions Coordinators
P: 4153382410
E: [email protected]
Scripps CollegePost-Baccalaureate Premedical Program- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical ProgramDeEttra Mulay
P: 9096218764
E: [email protected]
UC Berkeley ExtensionPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions Certificate ProgramPost-Baccalaureate Health Professions ProgramTiffani Quan, Ph.D.
P: 5106436901
E: [email protected]
UC Davis School of MedicinePostbaccalaureate ProgramPostbaccalaureate Program | UC Davis Office of Student and Resident DiversityMary Rose Saint-Cyr Program Coordinator
P: 9167342615
E: [email protected]
UC Irvine School of MedicineUC Irvine School of Medicine Postbaccalaureate ProgramPostbaccalaureate Program | Medical Education | School of Medicine | University of California, IrvineSarah Scali
P: 9498245388
E: [email protected]
UC San DiegoUC San Diego Post Baccalaureate Premedical ProgramUC San Diego Extension | Continuing Education | UC San Diego ExtensionAmie Becker
P: 8585349265
E: [email protected]
UCLA ExtensionPre-Medical and General Science Studies CertificatePre-Medical & General Science Studies Certificate | Health SciencesSid Sreekaram
P: 3108257093
E: [email protected]
University of California, IrvineUCI School Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programhttp://postbacc.bio.uci.eduJenna Bague-Sampson
P: 9498240326
E: [email protected]
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Did you apply any of them ?