• pre med

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • pre dent

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

munchmunchyum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I got admitted into Muir College in UCSD as a freshman, and I will major in Human Biology. I am interested both in pre med and pre dental, but I am concerned for a few things. I'm not good at physics and neutral in chem, and I'm not a big fan of research(prefer clinical experience like shadowing and volunteering) so I thought pre dent might be the choice. Still, I really like anatomy and physiology. I know it's early but I want to think about my future because the prep paths for pre dent and pre med seem different. As an international student, I've considered how the verbal section of MCAT can be detrimental... could anyone give me any suggestions? If there's any UCSD alumni or current student, could you please share your studying experience in UCSD? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I got admitted into Muir College in UCSD as a freshman, and I will major in Human Biology. I am interested both in pre med and pre dental, but I am concerned for a few things. I'm not good at physics and neutral in chem, and I'm not a big fan of research(prefer clinical experience like shadowing and volunteering) so I thought pre dent might be the choice. Still, I really like anatomy and physiology. I know it's early but I want to think about my future because the prep paths for pre dent and pre med seem different. As an international student, I've considered how the verbal section of MCAT can be detrimental... could anyone give me any suggestions? If there's any UCSD alumni or current student, could you please share your studying experience in UCSD? Thank you so much!
1. Don't count out med because you think you aren't good in physics/chem, as you have only taken them at the high school level.
2. Don't count out med because you don't like research, as research is not required to get into med school.
3. You don't have to decide yet - I'm sure the courses you would take as a freshman are similar. Keep your mind open and explore both by shadowing, volunteering, etc.
4. Don't worry about the MCAT yet. Learn how to critically read articles for the time being if you want to slowly build your skills.
5. It is way too early for you to be worrying about all of this already.

TL;DR - Don't get worked up about all of this stuff before you even start college. Keep your mind open to both fields.

UCSD alum c/o 2015 here. If you are going premed, get a car and apply to palomar ASAP. Don't bother with frats, but try the clubs on campus like active minds, and the other hmp3 clubs.Go abroad if you can because our school is painfully privileged...Take your mcat after your third year, and make sure you take mamm phys lab with Dr. Armour seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Don't count out med because you think you aren't good in physics/chem, as you have only taken them at the high school level.
2. Don't count out med because you don't like research, as research is not required to get into med school.
3. You don't have to decide yet - I'm sure the courses you would take as a freshman are similar. Keep your mind open and explore both by shadowing, volunteering, etc.
4. Don't worry about the MCAT yet. Learn how to critically read articles for the time being if you want to slowly build your skills.
5. It is way too early for you to be worrying about all of this already.

TL;DR - Don't get worked up about all of this stuff before you even start college. Keep your mind open to both fields.
Thank you very much!

UCSD alum c/o 2015 here. If you are going premed, get a car and apply to palomar ASAP. Don't bother with frats, but try the clubs on campus like active minds, and the other hmp3 clubs.Go abroad if you can because our school is painfully privileged...Take your mcat after your third year, and make sure you take mamm phys lab with Dr. Armour seriously.
Thank you so much!

Don't bother with Palomar Pathmaker Intern - waste of time. You work similar to a CNA without the pay. I did it for eighty hours before quitting.

There are plenty of hospitals closer to campus you can volunteer at (walking/bus distance). Consider non-clinical volunteering as well. Try to be out of your comfort zone. Get to know some of your professors, TA for them if you can (junior year and on)--you'll get a stronger letter from a professor who has known you in different capacities. Involve yourself in research if possible... although you don't have to do research to be a doctor, understanding its process and methods is important (can be any field here, I'm not talking a 1000 hours, but maybe a quarter or two to see if you like it).

Don't feel too rushed in all of this... steadily work up your commitment toward ECs while maintaining good grades. Keep up with your hobbies (or find some). You don't have to save the world as a freshman. Quality in experiences means more than quantity. Take your mcat when you're ready--if you need a gap year to prepare, take it. There's no rush. Now, most importantly, try to have a good time. The years go by faster than you think.

What's the reasoning for this statement? Are you saying specifically for UCSD? Being in a fraternity can lend a lot of opportunities and leadership opportunities while also aiding in the social aspect of college. I'll never really get all of the "frat hate" that goes on here.

Last edited:
Also UCSD alum here. go tritons