This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNADNA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waitlisted at Emory, and I know that basically means rejected, but I want to make this decision in the lightning strike chance it happens.

A bit about me and my aims professionally:

1. I enjoy research (my main strength of my apps) but I am open to the idea of closing that chapter of my life depending on how much medicine pulls me in. That said my primary research interests are in developmental neuroscience, and neuropathology.
  2. I deeply look forward to seeing everything that medicine has to offer, but I am currently most interested in general surgery, neurology, IM, and EM, as far as current residencies of interest. Neuro more than the others.
  3. I enjoy spending time both indoors and out. I like hiking, swimming, running, and biking, but I also like movies, playing video games, and in general relaxing in air conditioning.

UCSD
Pros:

1. Slightly cheaper, while the tuition is notably cheaper for UCSD, the housing after I leave the subsidized housing doesn’t make the difference that much.
  2. A new adventure: I’ve never really moved from the east coast, I think this would be a fantastic opportunity for personal growth.
  3. Put some roots down on the west coast if I decide I want to end up there
  4. More diverse patient population.
  5. Seems like a solid research environment, and I could further bolster my network.
  6. I can really focus on school as I won’t be near my old crowds.
  7. Weather is unique.

Cons:

1. Far away from my support group.
  2. I like having seasons.
  3. Expensive housing.

Emory (WAITLISTED):

Pros:

1. Support group (Friends and Family)
  2. Established life, both professionally and personally. My research network is well developed here. I’ve already got numerous manuscripts in the pipeline, and it wouldn’t require much effort to passively accrue more publications through intellectual contributions I could make without as much time commitment (although I doubt middle author publications matter for residency)
  3. Grady hospital would be an incredible place to train.
  4. Refugee center would offer a unique patient population.
  5. Discovery period (free semester) would allow me to comfortably pursue research without sacrificing too much of my medical focus.
  6. I really wish to serve this community, the city really feels like home to me.
  7. I actually really like the weather (I like seasons: I need periods of cold, periods of hot, and the nice in between).

Cons:

1. The “safe?” option? I feel like if I go to school here, and then do residency here that would probably mean I am going to spending most of my life in this city.
  2. A bit more expensive.
  3. Maybe get distracted by being so close to friends/family? Wasn’t a problem for my MCAT, but still.

They mostly seem the same as far as instruction goes, with the difference in that Emory gives you a semester or so to do whatever, and UCSD melds research into the curriculum.

I also have offers from MCG, Mercer and Morehouse, but I’m not sure, even with considerable scholarships, I should pick any of those over Emory/UCSD, so any insight for those options would also be lovely.

TLDR:

Emory=Home, but also safety, and maybe running from opportunities of growth.

UCSD=Adventure; but the challenges that come with leaving your comfort zone.

Other questions:

1. Also is there really any difference in prestige of these schools? Or is it probably more of a “better name on its coast” type situation?

1. Would middle author publications even mean anything during residency applications?

1. If anyone has a richer opinion of UCSD I would love to hear it. The interview went really well, everyone was friendly, but when I asked multiple faculty and students what their favorite part of UCSD was/What brought them there, they literally all said, “The weather!” Which is cool and all, but I want to know how the community there would really help me professionally.

1. Or if anyone had any particular opinions about Emory.

Members don't see this ad.

They're both great schools with about a similar ranking (if I remember correctly). I think it depends on your interests. For example, if global health or public health is your thing then I would say Emory hands down. I've heard nothing bad about Emory and also interviewed there and liked it.

They're both great schools with about a similar ranking (if I remember correctly). I think it depends on your interests. For example, if global health or public health is your thing then I would say Emory hands down. I've heard nothing bad about Emory and also interviewed there and liked it.

I am certainly leaning toward neurology, with not a terribly large focus on global/public health, so I think UCSD would have a bit of an edge due to the Salk Institute, but I honestly have no idea!

And yeah I loved my interview there too, everyone just seemed so passionate about medicine, not just how nice the weather was haha

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD because you haven't been accepted into Emory technically...

Congratulations on all of your acceptances!

I am also in a similar position debating whether to stay close to home. Choosing to do so would mean that I would live in the same city for most of my life as I went to college near where I grew up and will likely want to do residency/ live where I go to med school since I will likely be starting a family of my own. I do wonder if this will limit me in any way or prevent growth. Yet I am comfortable here so I am not sure that is a bad thing. Or is it? I am curious to hear other perspectives on this issue that OP explained.

I am also in a similar position debating whether to stay close to home. Choosing to do so would mean that I would live in the same city for most of my life as I went to college near where I grew up and will likely want to do residency/ live where I go to med school since I will likely be starting a family of my own. I do wonder if this will limit me in any way or prevent growth. Yet I am comfortable here so I am not sure that is a bad thing. Or is it? I am curious to hear other perspectives on this issue that OP explained.

It is this situation exactly. I value novel experience, and while I could always "come back" to Atlanta for residency, there is no guarantee of that, and maybe I won't want to when the time comes. It comes down to comfort versus novelty I suppose, but I wonder if I should aim for the support of family for medical school, or for residency?