Ucsd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my decision this morning too, around 9:06 am. I interviewed 1/14 also! Rejection unfortunately, but hope this helps with the speculation about how the admissions letters are sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratz to all of you who got accepted. Did any of you who got accepted have prerequisites still in progress? Maybe they are reviewing those who are done with all their prerequisites first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 1/28 interview day got a rejection letter? Or are they turning down people in order of date interviewed?

Congratz to all of you who got accepted. Did any of you who got accepted have prerequisites still in progress? Maybe they are reviewing those who are done with all their prerequisites first?

Nope, I graduated last year with a B.S. in Biochem.

Congratz on your acceptance! You seem have several choices huh ? Which one is your first choice?

Thanks!!!! My first choices were UCSF and USC, but I was rejected from UCSF even before an interview. Heh. Crossing my fingers for USC, but if not, that heading to SD! :D

Thank you so much! Actually I was really surprised that I received the email today, because I interviewed on the last day, 1/28.

Stats: GPA 3.6, several yrs exposure in various healthcare and non-healthcare settings (research, shadowing doctors and pharmacists, volunteering, and leadership positions)

Hang in there!!

If you don't mind me asking, do you have all your pre-reqs completed and a bachelors degree? Or are you still in the process?
By the way, congratz! :) I too interviewed on the last day and am anxiously awaiting a response...

I also interviewed 1/14 and I haven't heard back yet. I can't believe they've already sent out acceptances! I'm going to be checking my email in anticipation everyday now. It's going to be so hard to focus on school :lame:

I'm still working on my prerequisites n getting my BS this semester. I remember the Dean explaining the process that they make three piles for applicants (one for students they definitely want, one for maybes, one for no unfortunately) I hope this helps. Also I think the admissions committee meets at least once a week

If you don't mind me asking, do you have all your pre-reqs completed and a bachelors degree? Or are you still in the process?
By the way, congratz! :) I too interviewed on the last day and am anxiously awaiting a response...

Thanks! To answer your questions, yes, I have completed all my pre-reqs and have my bachelors. Perhaps those who have completed these are given priority in terms of granting interviews and reviewing for acceptances (?) At least for interviews, I noticed that for the schools where I have completed my pre-reqs, I received offers earlier. I hope this helps to calm your anxiety a bit. I completely empathize. I've been sleep-deprived and worried, too, for the past month. Just hang in there! I hope you hear back soon too!! :)

I'm still working on my prerequisites n getting my BS this semester. I remember the Dean explaining the process that they make three piles for applicants (one for students they definitely want, one for maybes, one for no unfortunately) I hope this helps. Also I think the admissions committee meets at least once a week
Do they make those piles before interviews then? How could they make those piles when they do not review all applicants in one day? That is really weird. The dean never mentioned anything about this on my interview day. Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news from 1/28 interview groups?
Do they send out letter to let you know yout status if you are on waited list ?
The waiting game is killing me!:confused:

Thanks!!!! My first choices were UCSF and USC, but I was rejected from UCSF even before an interview. Heh. Crossing my fingers for USC, but if not, that heading to SD! :D

Same here! But my USC interview is on Feb 25!

Any news from 1/28 interview groups?
Do they send out letter to let you know yout status if you are on waited list ?
The waiting game is killing me!:confused:
I was in the 1/28 interview group (the one at 12 pm) and nothing here. I am really anxious to know my status. I thought they will be reviewing applicants by the order they were interviewed but now the decision can come at anytime :confused:

I interviewed on the 28th as well (8 am ) and haven't heard anything via e-mail or snail mail. The 13th, 14th, and 27th people were notified via e-mail last Thursday or Friday. Maybe the admissions committee sends out decisions at the end of each business week? Perhaps we'll hear something in a few days!

I was in the 14th group and have heard nothing. People on my day have received acceptances and rejections. My theory is either some decision has been made whereby I would be on an informal wait list not to get my hopes up since the entering class is so small. My alternative theory is that maybe the different groups of faculty and student interviewers have only been able to meet a limited period of time. Both are plausible at this point. What do you think?

I was in the 14th group and have heard nothing. People on my day have received acceptances and rejections. My theory is either some decision has been made whereby I would be on an informal wait list not to get my hopes up since the entering class is so small. My alternative theory is that maybe the different groups of faculty and student interviewers have only been able to meet a limited period of time. Both are plausible at this point. What do you think?

Same here, I interviewed on 1/14 and I haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully they will let us know soon.

Same here, I interviewed on 1/14 and I haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully they will let us know soon.
I interviewed 1/14 as well. no news yet, but as far as I'm concerned no news is good news. I'd rather be on the waiting list than get a rejection :/ Interesting theories... who knows what their system is?

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully we'll hear something soon

I interviewed 1/14 as well. no news yet, but as far as I'm concerned no news is good news. I'd rather be on the waiting list than get a rejection :/ Interesting theories... who knows what their system is?

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully we'll hear something soon

I interviewed on the 14th as well and have not heard anything yet. Maybe they review files by interviewers?

I interviewed on 1/27 (12pm), and have not yet heard anything back.....I am really anxious because I have to respond to an acceptance from Touro by the 24th (with a $2000 deposit!!!), and I don't want to do that if I get accepted to UCSD!

I interviewed on 1/27 and haven't received any word either :(

Interviewd on 1/28 (12pm) and received my rejection letter at 9:30am. Good luck to the rest of you :)

OMG!!! I GOT ACCEPTED! i received my email at 9:45am. definitley going to ucsd!!!! interviewed the 28th, 12pm section also.. i thought i was gonna do so bad .... i mean... for that essay regarding the novel you wanted to live in...i just said gossip girls.

??

You said you got accepted on 2/3/2012 (one page back). How do you get accepted twice...

Interviewd on 1/14 and got my acceptance letter today.

Does anyone know if there is a deposit for UCSD? I didn't see anything about it..but just wanted to ask around to make sure.

i interviewed on 1/28 at 8AM, and i got my acceptance email this morning. i definitely plan to attend ucsd this fall, unless i get accepted to ucsf...

Last edited:
Interviewed on 1/14 at 8am and received my acceptance yesterday in the afternoon (eastern time). Good luck to those who are still waiting!

is everyone getting their news via email? can we also have a rejection roll call. I'm interested in seeing the diversity in those accepted and not. i know everyone was highly qualified.

is everyone getting their news via email? can we also have a rejection roll call. I'm interested in seeing the diversity in those accepted and not. i know everyone was highly qualified.
I received my rejection via email. I think they are notifying everybody via email at least that's what they said during my interview. Good luck

What do you think influenced your consideration, PharmM? I have a feeling i botched the written portion. I used the two hours writing an essay. I didn't know they wanted something concise just to tell if we plagiarized our applications. I thought they wanted to see us write an essay on the whim, and i did. Little did I know that was a recipe for disaster.

My interview was on the 13th. I still haven't heard from them. I wonder if we're on the waitlist...

What do you think influenced your consideration, PharmM? I have a feeling i botched the written portion. I used the two hours writing an essay. I didn't know they wanted something concise just to tell if we plagiarized our applications. I thought they wanted to see us write an essay on the whim, and i did. Little did I know that was a recipe for disaster.
I would probably say it is my interviewing skills. My interview experience was not conversational. But that's how all my interviews went. The problem I have is that I like to be asked questions and I would answer. It is not my thing to be left to say whatever I want to say about myself. I know my way of interview is not preferred by many schools but I am working on it. I know it is not about my grades or anything else because my experiences and grades are average as everyone else.
I do not think your writing sample weighs too much.. I mean if you are good in everything else, then I do not think your writing sample will stop you from being accepted.
Good luck and I hope you will hear good news very soon.

Me too. I was on the 13th at the very earliest time slot and I haven't heard anything either. I'm gonna go with the wait list hypothesis as well.

I looked thru last yr's thread and they still made acceptances/rejections until early march. Hopefully we get news by then. :/

Got rejected this week! Anybody know if there's anybody from the school I can contact that will let me know where my application was weak? Might help me for future upcoming interviews.

3.9 GPA, 94 PCAT, I think my extracurriculars are sort of lacking: some undergrad research, hospital volunteering, but no pharm experience, no leadership positions in clubs or anything. Interviewer kept asking me about my hobbies which in my opinion are sort of irrelevant to pharmacy school.

Got rejected this week! Anybody know if there's anybody from the school I can contact that will let me know where my application was weak? Might help me for future upcoming interviews.

3.9 GPA, 94 PCAT, I think my extracurriculars are sort of lacking: some undergrad research, hospital volunteering, but no pharm experience. Interviewer kept asking me about my hobbies which in my opinion are sort of irrelevant to pharmacy school.

wow, your stats are impressive. I don't want to sound like a snob, but for constructive criticism, they obviously know that you're a great academic student. I think they wanted to know you as a person...especially since you said that your EC's were lacking. They probably wanted to see how you will fit in socially, since you would obviously excel academically.

can someone post their rejection email? or what did they say in the rejection email? i'm interested in knowing how they respond. thanks!

can someone post their rejection email? or what did they say in the rejection email? i'm interested in knowing how they respond. thanks!

I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a position in the Class of 2016 of the UCSD
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. As you know, we received more than
1200 applications, and interviewed over 280 applicants for our limited number of positions. Many
of the applicants that we interviewed were deserving of admission. However, we are only able to
matriculate 60 into this class. Selecting the successful applicants from among this very large pool
of highly qualified applicants is very difficult for the Admissions Committee.
I expect that you may have already been offered admission to one of the other schools of
pharmacy. If you decide not to enter pharmacy school this year and are considering reapplication
next year, we would urge you to apply to our program. Applications may be entered into
PharmCAS beginning in June 2012.
I wish you the best of luck and success in your future studies.

3.9 GPA, 94 PCAT, I think my extracurriculars are sort of lacking: some undergrad research, hospital volunteering, but no pharm experience, no leadership positions in clubs or anything. Interviewer kept asking me about my hobbies which in my opinion are sort of irrelevant to pharmacy school.

Is it just me or are schools extra-suspicious of people with very strong academic backgrounds? The repeated hobby questions you got almost suggests that they think having a high GPA is indicative of some social shortcoming. If so, that's completely unfair. If anything, a strong GPA should be a benefit, not a liability. UCSF brags about regularly rejecting 4.0 students for "lacking experience," and it sounds like UCSD is following that trend. :mad:

Asking the admissions committee for an explanation for your rejection sounds like a good idea. I don't know who specifically you would talk to, but e-mailing the dean would probably work. If he's not the right person, he should be able to forward your inquiry to the appropriate party.

Is it just me or are schools extra-suspicious of people with very strong academic backgrounds? The repeated hobby questions you got almost suggests that they think having a high GPA is indicative of some social shortcoming. If so, that's completely unfair. If anything, a strong GPA should be a benefit, not a liability. UCSF brags about regularly rejecting 4.0 students for "lacking experience," and it sounds like UCSD is following that trend. :mad:

Asking the admissions committee for an explanation for your rejection sounds like a good idea. I don't know who specifically you would talk to, but e-mailing the dean would probably work. If he's not the right person, he should be able to forward your inquiry to the appropriate party.

lol, imo, this is the way of USA schools. They rather accept an all round student rather than a bookworm. There are tons of bookworm that only knows how to study in their little corner without going out and socialize. Don't get me wrong, i am not against studying, i agree studying should be worth more, but that's not how USA works. thats how Asia works

lol, imo, this is the way of USA schools. They rather accept an all round student rather than a bookworm. There are tons of bookworm that only knows how to study in their little corner without going out and socialize. Don't get me wrong, i am not against studying, i agree studying should be worth more, but that's not how USA works. thats how Asia works
I don't know "how Asia works," not being from there, and I'm not claiming that EC's shouldn't be considered in the application process.

My concern is that high-GPA candidates are being held to a higher standard for hobbies and ECs because admissions committees inaccurately assume, like the above poster, that a high GPA automatically equals no social life. The applicant who got rejected with a 3.9 clearly didn't study in a little corner - he/she volunteered in a hospital and conducted research. Judging high-GPA candidates more harshly than candidates with lower GPAs is unfair because everyone should be held to the same standard.

If admissions committees really are using a double standard, I'd like to know about it, which is why I'm encouraging the applicant to contact the school to find out why they were rejected.

With all respect to your opinion, but I strongly believe that schools should appreciate the diversity of the applicants and they should consider all types of students. I mean rejecting a person because he is not an all around student is really unfair. Definitely a person who has done nothing in his/her life except studying and have no life at all will impose a problem in the future, but what about those who could achieve a high GPA and did volunteer and research? Does not this count as socializing? At least it means that the applicant did not spend all his/her life just studying.

With all respect to your opinion, but I strongly believe that schools should appreciate the diversity of the applicants and they should consider all types of students. I mean rejecting a person because he is not an all around student is really unfair. Definitely a person who has done nothing in his/her life except studying and have no life at all will impose a problem in the future, but what about those who could achieve a high GPA and did volunteer and research? Does not this count as socializing? At least it means that the applicant did not spend all his/her life just studying.

completely agree with you.

though i have to add that the above poster have no pharm experience. there must have been a question about why he pick pharmacy over med because he did have hospital experience. many schools i talked to also didnt care about research because its just irrelevent to public communciation