UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in SD, and I still haven't gotten a letter, should I call them?
or should I be patient as Joel said in his blog?

That's a tough one ... since you're so close, I'd have expected you to get one. Maybe wait till Wednesday, and if you haven't gotten anything by then, call? After all, that's a week after April 1, and you definitely should hear from then.

I think I'm 90% decided on UCSF. I just can't say no! I really wish our financial aid packages were available. It would help make the decision, as I don't wanna commit to a program and find out I get zero funding for it. Unlikely, but still.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm kinda new to SDN, but I recently received a letter on sat. saying that I'm waitlisted (im from LA area)...this is my first time applying to UCSF so I'm not sure how many people SF took people from the waitlist last/or past years....any help would be great as I am still waiting to be ranked (that'll come out mid-may they say)
so if any of you, especially those who applied the second time and got in this time around, have any inside info (in terms of waitlist numbers) or how to improve the second time around that would be much appreciated....thanks a lot :)
I'm preparing for the worst case scenario....sigh

Hi guys,

I just got my acceptance letter! It was post marked 30th, 31st, but I live in a small midwest city, so I got it later than east coast people.. :scared: I look forward to meet everyone, and good luck to those of you who are still waiting for the letter and waitlisted!

Accepted! My parents got my letter Saturday! :love:

Congrats! Don't forget to join the class Facebook page. :)

Did they cash your check or acknowledge your deposit yet?

They haven't acknowledged my deposit but they did cash the check. I think I'm not expecting to hear anything until like May. Has anyone finished the whole financial aid application process yet?

They haven't acknowledged my deposit but they did cash the check. I think I'm not expecting to hear anything until like May. Has anyone finished the whole financial aid application process yet?

I have! I finished back in March. I called the financial aid office today, and they said that they'd probably get the packages out in May if your information is in.

Where do people think they'll live? I'm looking into on-campus housing. Much less of a hassle in trying to find someplace.

for the IDOC thing, what all do you have to mail in? Just a copy whichever variant of the 1040 or your W2 also?

Hi everyone, I'm kinda new to SDN, but I recently received a letter on sat. saying that I'm waitlisted (im from LA area)...this is my first time applying to UCSF so I'm not sure how many people SF took people from the waitlist last/or past years....any help would be great as I am still waiting to be ranked (that'll come out mid-may they say)
so if any of you, especially those who applied the second time and got in this time around, have any inside info (in terms of waitlist numbers) or how to improve the second time around that would be much appreciated....thanks a lot :)

It sounds like not that many people were waitlisted this year (at least on SDN). Based on previous year's thread, we can expect those ranked in the -teens have a pretty good chance of getting in. Hopefully we find out our rankings soon...I'm really hoping to get in. :xf:

for the IDOC thing, what all do you have to mail in? Just a copy whichever variant of the 1040 or your W2 also?

Well, on the IDOC website, they list their requirements. I'm not sure if they differ person from person. I just needed to mail in my and my parents' 1040s so that's what I did. It didn't say anything about W2s, so I didn't include them.

Hi,

There is last year's official UCSF waitlisted thread. According to the thread, only the top 4 waitlisted people got in last year. But, numbers vary a lot by year, so keep your hopes up and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah looks like i'm on the waitlist too. mid-may.. not too bad. here's hoping we both make it EtOH! :D

Well, on the IDOC website, they list their requirements. I'm not sure if they differ person from person. I just needed to mail in my and my parents' 1040s so that's what I did. It didn't say anything about W2s, so I didn't include them.

Ok thanks
thats what mine said too, but on the cover sheet it had W2's listed. But it also has a bunch of other "schedule _" forms too..

Hi,

There is last year's official UCSF waitlisted thread. According to the thread, only the top 4 waitlisted people got in last year. But, numbers vary a lot by year, so keep your hopes up and good luck!

Hi! One of my friends was waitlisted top 5 last year. He didn't even get invited until mid-September to go to the orientation. I think it's likely you'll be bumped up the waitlist during summer.

I'd say wait another day or two? The deadline for both UCSF and UCSD is April 9th. Adcom must let all applicants know BEFORE April 9, and allow them to make an informed decision by April 9.

Second time is a charm!!! ACCEPTED :love:

In sd, my roommate opened the letter and called me on Saturday.

So a question for current students: is housing guaranteed at all? Like, what happens if we apply for a room and it's all filled up? Do they give you a different room, or can they fill up completed and be like, opps, sorry there's no room! ... and you're stuck in SF without a place to stay....? Possible scenario at all? Because I was on the housing site and I noticed that they said people who move in earlier and given priority, but I didn't want to move until a month before school started, so I'm worried that there'll be nothing left. How popular is on campus housing?

So a question for current students: is housing guaranteed at all? Like, what happens if we apply for a room and it's all filled up? Do they give you a different room, or can they fill up completed and be like, opps, sorry there's no room! ... and you're stuck in SF without a place to stay....? Possible scenario at all? Because I was on the housing site and I noticed that they said people who move in earlier and given priority, but I didn't want to move until a month before school started, so I'm worried that there'll be nothing left. How popular is on campus housing?

Housing is NOT guaranteed. If everything is filled up, you have to find housing through other methods (i.e. craigslist or any other housing listing sites). One way or another, you will find something of interest. It is preferred that you do move in earlier. Potentially you could find someone to sublet your place temporarily by posting on craigslist. In any case, you are responsible for finding your own place to attend school here. Welcome to the real world.

It's extremely popular in short, especially closest to school in the avenues. That housing is already very limited, and it's also open to students from all schools - dentisty, medicine, nursing, etc. IMHO, very doubtful you'll find anything that late especially close to school, you'll be lucky to get a spot at Mission Bay at that time.

There aren't even that many non-housing options that are close to school, because the avenues are saturated with residential housing, not just apartment complexes, so most people are moved in August are stuck living by the ocean, further away. Within a short 5-10 minute walk away from school, there are maybe a handful of apartment complexes. Realistically, I found that while there are plenty of apartments listed on CL every week - there may be only 1-2 a week that are within a normal price range and look decent.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, I just hard the hardest of times finding a decent apartment to live in myself, so I want to provide a realistic picture. Housing search will be difficult.

Last edited:
It's extremely popular in short, especially closest to school in the avenues. That housing is already very limited, and it's also open to students from all schools - dentisty, medicine, nursing, etc. IMHO, very doubtful you'll find anything that late especially close to school, you'll be lucky to get a spot at Mission Bay at that time.

There aren't even that many non-housing options that are close to school, because the avenues are saturated with residential housing, not just apartment complexes, so most people are moved in August are stuck living by the ocean, further away. Within a short 5-10 minute walk away from school, there are maybe a handful of apartment complexes. Realistically, I found that while there are plenty of apartments listed on CL every week - there may be only 1-2 a week that are within a normal price range and look decent.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, I just hard the hardest of times finding a decent apartment to live in myself, so I want to provide a realistic picture. Housing search will be difficult.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I appreciate the "cold hard reality" - it's better to learn now and plan ahead instead of suffer later! This housing situation is pretty tricky though ...

I did skim through Craigslist this week, and I found some places with some really outrageous prices...!

Hi,

Do any P1's here know approximately the number of students accepted off the waitlist? According to last year's thread, I think around 15 people unofficially "declined" their acceptances, which would theoretically move the waitlist up 15 spots...but during the duration of the thread, only 4 people were accepted. I'm going nutso reading past threads! :(:( I bet Fr0gg3r is too :laugh:.

Do any P1's here know approximately the number of students accepted off the waitlist? According to last year's thread, I think around 15 people unofficially "declined" their acceptances, which would theoretically move the waitlist up 15 spots...but during the duration of the thread, only 4 people were accepted. I'm going nutso reading past threads! :(:( I bet Fr0gg3r is too :laugh:.

I read somewhere that UCSF overshoots the acceptances so even if 15 people decline their spot it doesn't make the waitlist move up by 15 spots (I could be wrong though). I spoke to someone on the waitlist last year and she said that by the time it closed she had only moved 10 spots. Joel's blog says that in previous years it's moved by as much as 40-something spots. Don't lose hope! Hopefully you get a high rank :luck:.

Hey Leopard, dont give up hope yet. i was exactly where you are last year. I applied, interviewed and waitlisted and this year i got in. I know a few students who are current p1's who is the same exact way.

pm me if you have any question specifically. and to busyizzy, i'm in the same boat as you. i dont want to move in early but if i have to, i probably will. just because I wanna make sure i dont live out there near the ocean :p

Hey Leopard, dont give up hope yet. i was exactly where you are last year. I applied, interviewed and waitlisted and this year i got in. I know a few students who are current p1's who is the same exact way.

pm me if you have any question specifically. and to busyizzy, i'm in the same boat as you. i dont want to move in early but if i have to, i probably will. just because I wanna make sure i dont live out there near the ocean :p

Thanks for the encouragement guys...I'm kind of confused right now as to what to do...I'm hoping for the best, but then again, the reality sets in that I would have to start preparing NOW for the next application cycle...and asking for the letters of rec again is a pain :( It would be great if anyone can give me a heads up of what you guys did during this waiting period...b/c sadly I don't have any schools right now that I got accepted in...I'm waitlisted for both USC and UCSF and both are really good schools so the chances of me getting taken from the waitlist is kinda slim

Thanks for the encouragement guys...I'm kind of confused right now as to what to do...I'm hoping for the best, but then again, the reality sets in that I would have to start preparing NOW for the next application cycle...and asking for the letters of rec again is a pain :( It would be great if anyone can give me a heads up of what you guys did during this waiting period...b/c sadly I don't have any schools right now that I got accepted in...I'm waitlisted for both USC and UCSF and both are really good schools so the chances of me getting taken from the waitlist is kinda slim

Do you mean you're on AC for USC? Or did they put you on an official waitlist thing?

I don't know the exact number accepted off the waitlist. But I know there was not a lot of waitlist movement this year. I think it was somewhere between 7-9 people off the waitlist (it could be more if people on the waitlist declined because they were already attending other schools since UCSF starts so late). We had someone come off the waitlist the last day of orientation right before school started so don't lose hope.

Do you mean you're on AC for USC? Or did they put you on an official waitlist thing?
Hi, sorry i meant the AC...so ya, I'm still waiting for the official waitlist too, hopefully that comes out the end of this week :xf:

Has anyone completed the interview feedback survey? It would be helpful for other future prospects. I know it helped me a lot.

Waitlisted - Argh! I guess that's what I get for joking that the waiting period for acceptance/rejection letters should be extended a few more months. Essentially that's what is going to happen to me. I won't know where I rank until mid-May, which is only a start to the whole process. I hope that I rank real high, but if not then hopefully real low. I need to be able to make up my mind where I'm going and a permanent move to CA at the last minute will not be easy. Oh well.

All the other waitlisted ppl - good luck and post any stats you come across

Waitlisted - Argh! I guess that's what I get for joking that the waiting period for acceptance/rejection letters should be extended a few more months. Essentially that's what is going to happen to me. I won't know where I rank until mid-May, which is only a start to the whole process. I hope that I rank real high, but if not then hopefully real low. I need to be able to make up my mind where I'm going and a permanent move to CA at the last minute will not be easy. Oh well.

All the other waitlisted ppl - good luck and post any stats you come across

Good luck to you! I hope you get in!

Car or no car? Not to drive to and from school, but just in general. Is parking bad?

Car or no car? Not to drive to and from school, but just in general. Is parking bad?

My close friend is doing his anesthesiology residency at UCSF and he pays $200 a month to rent a garage near where he lives. Another option is to buy a city parking permit ($60/yr or something) and park on the street, but finding a spot is pretty difficult he says. He lives in North Beach area. I don't know about the UCSF parking situation. I think they have a parking structure, but I'm sure it's pretty expensive to park there every day.

I'm bringing my SUV.

Definitely no car for me. I'm leaving my car at my mom's. Parking is terrible and costly anywhere you go in SF. Public transport comes out cheaper I think.

Definitely no car for me. I'm leaving my car at my mom's. Parking is terrible and costly anywhere you go in SF. Public transport comes out cheaper I think.

The few times that I visited SF, the public transit was fantastic. I didn't need a rental car.

When I went for the interview, public trans was great. Theres even a website that plans out routes for you via public trans.
Its a little dumb, but I'm thinking about when I go to the grocery store and stuff lol. I have family in a town south of Sac too, and it would be nice to be able to go see them. I don't want to pay huge amounts to park though.

To apartments/ places to rent usually have parking?

How early would you recommend us moving in? I filled out my housing application for Mission Bay and stated that I could move in July 1st. Would that be too early or too late? Thanks for all the help! :)

When I went for the interview, public trans was great. Theres even a website that plans out routes for you via public trans.
Its a little dumb, but I'm thinking about when I go to the grocery store and stuff lol. I have family in a town south of Sac too, and it would be nice to be able to go see them. I don't want to pay huge amounts to park though.

To apartments/ places to rent usually have parking?

Some apts have their own spaces but may charge extra on top of rent. If it's street parking, the city technically owns it, so you gotta pay for a parking permit to the city.

I totally get you about the shopping thing. LOL. During my undergrad, I hated carrying water (a gallon or two). It's so heavy!

Some apts have their own spaces but may charge extra on top of rent. If it's street parking, the city technically owns it, so you gotta pay for a parking permit to the city.

I totally get you about the shopping thing. LOL. During my undergrad, I hated carrying water (a gallon or two). It's so heavy!

EXACTLY! or a case of bottled water

I guess i better start working out....

Haha! Now, think of it as your upper arm and shoulder work out!! You are gonna have some guns by the time you graduate!! :D

Use water filters. LOL. Good for the environment and for you

How early would you recommend us moving in? I filled out my housing application for Mission Bay and stated that I could move in July 1st. Would that be too early or too late? Thanks for all the help! :)

It can't be "too late".... you can't move in earlier than July 1, is what it says on the website.

I am not bringing my car. I have the worst luck with parking tickets, and I don't want to deal with that! Plus, I hate driving in any city, so it wouldn't make sense for me. If you're worried about groceries, just bring a backpack! Worked fine for me in college, though I'm not sure about gallons of water though, lol.

Doesn't UCSF provides shuttles for people to go shopping? It says so on the housing site.

It definitely depends. If you live in most parts of SF, you'll have to buy a parking permit which is now $96/year. Here's the website for San Francisco Department of Parking and Transportation, which takes care of parking permits. However, if you live in the Sunset past about 10th-11th Avenue, which is about 7-8 blocks west of campus, no parking permit is needed; however, you will need to pay attention to street cleaning, which happens twice a month.

There are other options available if you want a car. UCSF encourages City Car Share where you can rent a car as needed (and insurance and gas are paid for!), and (if I remember correctly) the annual fees are waived for UCSF students--at least they were for us this year. It works mostly as a pay as you go, with a bill given to you monthly.

If you do public transportation, I highly recommend getting the Translink card, which is a card you can use for most of the public transportation in the Bay Area. You have the option of using it as a SF Muni monthly Fast Pass, or use it as a rolling debit card.

There also are free shuttles that connects most of UCSF's campuses from Mission Bay to Parnassus and Laurel Heights (which are the three main campuses you'll go to as students), as well as Mount Zion (in Pacific Heights), SF General Hospital (Potrero Hill) and Mission Center Building (in the Mission).

Finally, you can buy a permit at various UCSF parking garages all over the City. The cheapest one by far is at 55 Laguna (near Hayes Valley and the Castro) which is $47/month, and the Lime shuttle goes directly to Parnassus.

Hope this helps. :)

$96/year? Now that is not bad at all. Maybe I'll have a car.

Thanks Stkyrice :thumbup:

Is it possible though to survive without car in SF? I am from LA and for me it is impossible. However, i will be happy to sell my car and use public transportation. SO what is better in SF?

Finally, you can buy a permit at various UCSF parking garages all over the City. The cheapest one by far is at 55 Laguna (near Hayes Valley and the Castro) which is $47/month, and the Lime shuttle goes directly to Parnassus.

Hope this helps. :)

I looked into those permits, but from what I read on the website, it looks like they are all only for staff, faculty, etc, rather than students. There might be a limited number of permits available for students, but there's a waiting list for them or they are only for afternoons and weekends. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Most likely, if I choose to drive to UCSF, I'll have to spend a lot of time trying to find street parking or park somewhere further away from the school and then take public transportation :(

Campus housing is very popular, as mentioned above. You can apply for on-campus but don't rely on it. The FB group is a good way to meet other students looking for housing; you can work something out and meet others willing to share or rent together.

It's unlikely you'll be in SF without a place to stay, just be sure to plan ahead and have a backup plan.