UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Car or no car? Not to drive to and from school, but just in general. Is parking bad?

I'd say car, but here are some things to consider.

If you care about the aesthetics and external bodywork of your car, don't bring it. People who can't parallel park or have visual-spatial deficits will run into your bumper, scratch your bumper, take off your bumper (happened to my friend on Irving), hit and run your car (and honestly, probably not even know 3/4 of the time), etc.

That being said, I have a car and I'm glad I do. I can commute freely to work. I can go to the market whenever I want (avoid crowds at the 24 hour Safeways) and bring back lots of groceries. I'm able to help out friends in need (transportation, moving, etc.) and the like. Not to mention convenience in emergency situations.

However, you can get by just fine without a car. Maybe I'm just lazy...

Members don't see this ad.

Campus housing is very popular, as mentioned above. You can apply for on-campus but don't rely on it. The FB group is a good way to meet other students looking for housing; you can work something out and meet others willing to share or rent together.

It's unlikely you'll be in SF without a place to stay, just be sure to plan ahead and have a backup plan.

It sounds like the housing situation is less than ideal. Campus housing is hard to come by and as someone else mentioned, there aren't that many apartment complexes nearby... so...

What are current pharmacy students' opinions of Mission Bay housing? When would I have to move in to secure a spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
You just need a friends with a car. :p I'm bringing a car because my husband needs one to commute to work so anyone who needs a ride to the grocery store can tag along with me when I go. I bet there will be plenty of people who bring a car, so if you don't have one it won't be a big deal if you need a ride someplace close. My husband's parents live in Davis, so if anyone lives in Sac and needs a ride home for holidays we could carpool.

Does UCSF communicate mostly via emails now once you get the acceptance letter? I've gotten several emails from Joel upon confirmation of my acceptance, and I'm just wondering whether I should expect anything snail mail wise.

I'm not sure about the snail mail vs. email. i would think from now on it'll be all email. I'm probably not going to bring my car. I live in east bay so all I need is the N line to bart station and I'm back home :) plus I'm going to make my family members/ boyfriend bring supply of weekly food and gallons of water for me :D

i have a question in regards to fin aid. I did my fafsa... now what? wasnt there like a website that ucsf gave us on our interview day that we're supposed to log into... i couldnt find that paper... help anyone?

I'm not sure about the snail mail vs. email. i would think from now on it'll be all email. I'm probably not going to bring my car. I live in east bay so all I need is the N line to bart station and I'm back home :) plus I'm going to make my family members/ boyfriend bring supply of weekly food and gallons of water for me :D

i have a question in regards to fin aid. I did my fafsa... now what? wasnt there like a website that ucsf gave us on our interview day that we're supposed to log into... i couldnt find that paper... help anyone?
There was a financial aid letter sent out to everyone who attended the interviews. The website is: https://netpartner.ucsf.edu/NetPartnerStudent/logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=/NetPartnerStudent/PgHome.aspx and your username and pw should have been included in that letter. I think you'll have to complete the collegeboard profile thing for financial aid info as well.

I'm worried about getting the letter from OAR.. I turned in my statement of legal res and deposit back in mid-March but I haven't received anything regarding my student ID/account yet. Anyone else?

There was a financial aid letter sent out to everyone who attended the interviews. The website is: https://netpartner.ucsf.edu/NetPartnerStudent/logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=/NetPartnerStudent/PgHome.aspx and your username and pw should have been included in that letter. I think you'll have to complete the collegeboard profile thing for financial aid info as well.

I'm worried about getting the letter from OAR.. I turned in my statement of legal res and deposit back in mid-March but I haven't received anything regarding my student ID/account yet. Anyone else?

I just sent in mine this week, so I don't expect to hear back for a while, but I'm thinking that the office was busy all of March finalizing decisions on acceptances and rejections, and maybe now, they're busy processing the acceptances so they haven't gotten to the later steps yet?? I dunno, total wild uneducated guess, lol.

CSS profile on Collegeboard. Unfortunately, it is not free, and costs $25. It is also a huge pain in the ass to fill out, and some of the questions are very vague and confusing. You also gotta send in some of your tax documents to IDOC, which you'll get directions to once you finish the CSS profile.

I hope we get our financial aid information soon. >____<! That's the only thing holding me back right now.

I also sent my deposit and statement of legal residence in in mid-March. I know that my check was cashed, and I am assuming my statement of legal residence was received, as I mailed them the same day. Let me know if/when you hear something, as I am curious too!

CSS profile on Collegeboard. Unfortunately, it is not free, and costs $25. It is also a huge pain in the ass to fill out, and some of the questions are very vague and confusing. You also gotta send in some of your tax documents to IDOC, which you'll get directions to once you finish the CSS profile.

I hope we get our financial aid information soon. >____<! That's the only thing holding me back right now.

Can someone give me a link to the CSS profile on Collegeboard? I didn't see anything like that on the Financial Aid System when I logged in there. And I didn't see where I had to pay $25. Did you apply for full or basic funding? I'm thinking maybe you have to fill out CSS profile only if you are applying for full funding, but I'm doing just basic one. I'm not sure about this. Please help me out with this. Thanks a lot.

Can someone give me a link to the CSS profile on Collegeboard? I didn't see anything like that on the Financial Aid System when I logged in there. And I didn't see where I had to pay $25. Did you apply for full or basic funding? I'm thinking maybe you have to fill out CSS profile only if you are applying for full funding, but I'm doing just basic one. I'm not sure about this. Please help me out with this. Thanks a lot.

https://profileonline.collegeboard.com is how to get to the profile, once you complete all the steps of the profile they'll ask you for your credit card information. you pay the 25 to collegeboard, not ucsf.

https://profileonline.collegeboard.com is how to get to the profile, once you complete all the steps of the profile they'll ask you for your credit card information. you pay the 25 to collegeboard, not ucsf.

How do you know we have to complete CSS profile? I'm sorry but this is my first time applying for financial aid. I went to a state school for undergrad, and it wasn't that expensive so I didn't have to take any loans. When I called the Financial Aid office today, they told me to follow the links when I sign in to the Financial Aid system. I only have four links there: FAFSA, MPN Federal Direct Loan - Stafford, Entrance Counseling - Direct Loans, and Financial Aid Application. I'm not sure if I have to fill out CSS profile too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll call the Fin Aid office again tomorrow to double check. Thanks for your responses.
They mentioned it during the financial aid session at the interview. To get the best loans you should fill out the CSS profile which includes your parental information. If you're over 30 (or something similar?) you don't need to. There's a sheet in the folder they gave us at the interview that has answers to FAQ about financial aid.

For the wait listers: we were ranked when we received our decision letters last year. I was #4 on the wait list and was admitted in late August...we had another student join us in the middle of Orientation (he was #7).

Hmm, well, your best source is asking the financial aid office directly. I've called them a couple times, and they are very helpful.

But in terms of what I think: I *think* the CSS profile is for full funding only, so you wouldn't have to fill it out. However, I would not go by what is listed on the financial aid site - the CSS profile is not listed as one of my requirements either. Instead, I have parent's tax return form listed, which is sent via IDOC via CSS profile.

They mentioned it during the financial aid session at the interview. To get the best loans you should fill out the CSS profile which includes your parental information. If you're over 30 (or something similar?) you don't need to. There's a sheet in the folder they gave us at the interview that has answers to FAQ about financial aid.

Thanks for mentioning the sheet given to us at the interview. I'll go and take a look at it.

Hmm, well, your best source is asking the financial aid office directly. I've called them a couple times, and they are very helpful.

But in terms of what I think: I *think* the CSS profile is for full funding only, so you wouldn't have to fill it out. However, I would not go by what is listed on the financial aid site - the CSS profile is not listed as one of my requirements either. Instead, I have parent's tax return form listed, which is sent via IDOC via CSS profile.

You are right, it's better to call them and ask. I don't have my parent's tax return form listed.
Thank you.

dont quote me but i am pretty sure i read somewhere that if you dont seek the full funding (only basic) then the collegeboard thing is not required. problem is i cant remember where i read that from. I'm doing the full funding cuz I want to see if i can get university grant, scholarship etc so i just spent two hours on that collegeboard plugging in numbers and other information from mine and my parent's tax return. what a fun friday night :mad:

Hi everyone,

I will be attending UCSF this fall, I am from the Los Angeles area. If anyone is interested in chatting, sharing ideas, and etc. please send me a message..

I'll be driving back and forth to LA on the weekends a lot, so if anyone wants to be my ride buddy, let me know.:highfive:

What's the best place to live, Mission Bay or Parnassus?

I'm thinking about a single bedroom apartment and I would like it to be a little spacious.....nothing like the small hotels rooms in downtown (talk about being in a tight place).

Also, if I decide to not live on campus housing, what area's should I avoid moving to?

Thanks

What's the best place to live, Mission Bay or Parnassus?

I'm thinking about a single bedroom apartment and I would like it to be a little spacious.....nothing like the small hotels rooms in downtown (talk about being in a tight place).

Also, if I decide to not live on campus housing, what area's should I avoid moving to?

Thanks

If you don't want to commute, Parnassus campus housing would be the best option. If you don't mind the 20 minute commute, Mission Bay.
Inner Sunset is the neighborhood that's walking distance from the Parnassus campus. So, if you are looking for an off campus housing, look for an apartment in Inner Sunset. Good luck!

If you don't want to commute, Parnassus campus housing would be the best option. If you don't mind the 20 minute commute, Mission Bay.
Inner Sunset is the neighborhood that's walking distance from the Parnassus campus. So, if you are looking for an off campus housing, look for an apartment in Inner Sunset. Good luck!

Thanks.... are you from San Fran. or close by? Do you have any suggestions on what areas to avoid moving in?

Thanks.... are you from San Fran. or close by? Do you have any suggestions on what areas to avoid moving in?

No, I'm out of state as well. I'm just sharing what I found out so far since I'm also in the same shoes as you. :)

Hi everyone,

I will be attending UCSF this fall, I am from the Los Angeles area. If anyone is interested in chatting, sharing ideas, and etc. please send me a message..

I'll be driving back and forth to LA on the weekends a lot, so if anyone wants to be my ride buddy, let me know.:highfive:
That's a lot of time on the road!

dont quote me but i am pretty sure i read somewhere that if you dont seek the full funding (only basic) then the collegeboard thing is not required. problem is i cant remember where i read that from. I'm doing the full funding cuz I want to see if i can get university grant, scholarship etc so i just spent two hours on that collegeboard plugging in numbers and other information from mine and my parent's tax return. what a fun friday night :mad:

I asked the financial aid office and that's exactly what they said. If you apply for basic funding you can still get minimal grants, but when they say minimal, it is probably very minimal.

anyone who finished their profile on collegeboard, can you give me some help with the dependent family member page? I am stuck there and it wont let me submit. So I have 4 ppl in my household, parents, sis and moi. So i put my sis' information in family member 1 and tried to submit. it wont let me. it kept on asking for family member 2-4 information. At the top of the page it specifically said "Give information for all family members entered in question SD-135 and/or PH-100 except the student and the student's parent(s). If you have more than eight total family members, including the student and parent(s), first list those who will be in school or college at least half-time. List the others in Section ES. If a financial question does not apply, enter "0" (zero). If a non-financial question (e.g. name of school) does not apply, you may leave it blank"

except student (me) n parents.... so who am I supposed to fill out for family member 2-4?? it wont let me submit.. i just wanna finish this!!

anyone who finished their profile on collegeboard, can you give me some help with the dependent family member page? I am stuck there and it wont let me submit. So I have 4 ppl in my household, parents, sis and moi. So i put my sis' information in family member 1 and tried to submit. it wont let me. it kept on asking for family member 2-4 information. At the top of the page it specifically said "Give information for all family members entered in question SD-135 and/or PH-100 except the student and the student's parent(s). If you have more than eight total family members, including the student and parent(s), first list those who will be in school or college at least half-time. List the others in Section ES. If a financial question does not apply, enter "0" (zero). If a non-financial question (e.g. name of school) does not apply, you may leave it blank"

except student (me) n parents.... so who am I supposed to fill out for family member 2-4?? it wont let me submit.. i just wanna finish this!!

I had the same problem. I think your mistake was probably entering "4" people in your household. However, YOUR household is different from your PARENTS' household. So if you just change it to 1 person in your household and leave your parents' data the way it is, it should work. If you click the little purple question mark on the side, it will tell you that your household includes anyone who is dependent on you (so, your sister probably doesn't fall in that category). Hope that helps! :)

That's a lot of time on the road!

LOL.....I agree, I am married and my husband can not relocate. Therefore, I'll need to make frequent drives back and forth to LA. It sucks, but hey, I have to make the best out of the situation. :cool:

LOL.....I agree, I am married and my husband can not relocate. Therefore, I'll need to make frequent drives back and forth to LA. It sucks, but hey, I have to make the best out of the situation. :cool:

Hey,

Did you by any chance interview at Pacific of Oregon? I remember talking to a lady who was in a very similar situation as you.

I looked into those permits, but from what I read on the website, it looks like they are all only for staff, faculty, etc, rather than students. There might be a limited number of permits available for students, but there's a waiting list for them or they are only for afternoons and weekends. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Most likely, if I choose to drive to UCSF, I'll have to spend a lot of time trying to find street parking or park somewhere further away from the school and then take public transportation :(

The one on 55 Laguna is open to everybody. There is literally a 10 year wait for permits over on Parnassus for staff, so don't even bother.

The good thing about buying a permit for 55 Laguna is that you can park at the parking garages on Parnassus and the Mission Bay garage near UCSF Bakar gym for free between 4:45 PM-7:45 (?) AM Monday to Friday and all weekend from Friday night to Monday morning

The one on 55 Laguna is open to everybody. There is literally a 10 year wait for permits over on Parnassus for staff, so don't even bother.

The good thing about buying a permit for 55 Laguna is that you can park at the parking garages on Parnassus and the Mission Bay garage near UCSF Bakar gym for free between 4:45 PM-7:45 (?) AM Monday to Friday and all weekend from Friday night to Monday morning

Thanks stkyrice. I'm still trying to figure out which way of getting to school will work better. I'll try both ways over the summer and then decide. But thanks for the info again. :thumbup:

Hey,

Did you by any chance interview at Pacific of Oregon? I remember talking to a lady who was in a very similar situation as you.

Yup, I interviewed in Oregon..... Did you have on a shiny suit?

Yup, I interviewed in Oregon..... Did you have on a shiny suit?

HAHA~! Yes, I did wear my "flare" suit!! :D Good to talk to you again and I hope you get accepted at USC. Congrats on your acceptance to UCSF! :thumbup:

For the wait listers: we were ranked when we received our decision letters last year. I was #4 on the wait list and was admitted in late August...we had another student join us in the middle of Orientation (he was #7).

Thanks. That doesn't give too much hope. Even being ranked high might mean last minute openings, which just might not work for me coming from NJ. I'll probably be attending Buffalo at that time and will be moved in already. I kind of doubt I'll drop everything and go to UCSF if I hear anything when I'm already attending classes. :lame:

Waitlisters: perhaps we should start our own thread for any waitlist info.

HAHA~! Yes, I did wear my "flare" suit!! :D Good to talk to you again and I hope you get accepted at USC. Congrats on your acceptance to UCSF! :thumbup:

LOL.... yeah your suit was pretty darn unique. A conversation starter for sure :clap:

That's great that you got into UCSF. What happened to UCSD, I thought you wanted to go there?

I see you have a sense of humor, thanks for the laugh:claps:
Will you be attending UCSF as well?

Heh. I will apply this coming cycle and hope to attend UCSF! Meanwhile, I'm just crashing this thread that is both nervousness-inducing and inspirational. :)

Congrats to you (and everyone else) that got in for C/O '14!

Heh. I will apply this coming cycle and hope to attend UCSF! Meanwhile, I'm just crashing this thread that is both nervousness-inducing and inspirational. :)

Congrats to you (and everyone else) that got in for C/O '14!

That's good your familiarizing yourself with all the 411, but don't let the info. scare you....It's to early for that. Just make sure you apply early and good luck to you :xf:

Question for any current UCSfers... So Im not gonna be able to file my taxes for this year till June ( long story) but I was just wondering if any of you guys were able to fill out the css profile sometime in june (of last year) and if whether or not u guys were able to recieve full funding for your first year at UCSF? Also, when should we expect to get our financial aid packages? and when do we start getting our disbursements when school starts in Sept??? Gracias! :D

LOL.... yeah your suit was pretty darn unique. A conversation starter for sure :clap:

That's great that you got into UCSF. What happened to UCSD, I thought you wanted to go there?

UCSF was my first choice and USC my second. UCSD was my third. ;)

UCSF was my first choice and USC my second. UCSD was my third. ;)

I heard that.....well, I'm glad your attending UCSF, I know I'll get plenty of jokes out of you. You never know, we may just end up being the class clowns. Nevertheless, just make sure you dress casual on the first day of class :D

I heard that.....well, I'm glad your attending UCSF, I know I'll get plenty of jokes out of you. You never know, we may just end up being the class clowns. Nevertheless, just make sure you dress casual on the first day of class :D

I tend to swing between metrosexual look and complete grungy guy who just crawled out of a cave look. The latter is the preferred style when I study. So don't be surprised to see me in a workout outfit borderlining pajamas EVERYDAY. :D. Maybe I should get some polo shirts and khaki pants.

Last edited:
Question for any current UCSfers... So Im not gonna be able to file my taxes for this year till June ( long story) but I was just wondering if any of you guys were able to fill out the css profile sometime in june (of last year) and if whether or not u guys were able to recieve full funding for your first year at UCSF? Also, when should we expect to get our financial aid packages? and when do we start getting our disbursements when school starts in Sept??? Gracias! :D

I was able to receive full funding and I waited till July/August to do my FAFSA (long story)--and then I had to deal with other crap because of my dissolution of my domestic partnership, but I got my disbursement at the same time as everybody else. As long as you follow all the deadlines that UCSF stipulates, you should be fine.

If you have any questions, make sure to contact the financial aid office through their website first to know when disbursements happen, and if you have any other questions, call them or e-mail them directly. They're extremely nice and helpful.

I tend to swing between metrosexual look and complete grungy guy who just crawled out of a cave look. The latter is the preferred style when I study. So don't be surprised to see me in a workout outfit borderlining pajamas EVERYDAY. :D. Maybe I should get some polo shirts and khaki pants.

This is offtopic, but I swear we, pharm students, get the dirtiest looks from med students when we are in our scruffy finals attire. It's understandble though - they have 1 final to worry about, we have 5.:)

Just felt like bringing this thread back to life...
Does anyone know when we receive our email addresses? I'm excited to get my email and join the UCSF network :).

Just felt like bringing this thread back to life...
Does anyone know when we receive our email addresses? I'm excited to get my email and join the UCSF network :).

Not sure when .... also, has anyone had their background check completed? It's been about 2 weeks now since I submitted the info for their background check. They said it'd normally take about 3 days to process... should I be nervous??? :scared:

And an update on financial aid, I called and asked, and they said that they would probably start processing packages mid-May.

Not sure when .... also, has anyone had their background check completed? It's been about 2 weeks now since I submitted the info for their background check. They said it'd normally take about 3 days to process... should I be nervous??? :scared:

And an update on financial aid, I called and asked, and they said that they would probably start processing packages mid-May.

I had it completed for UCSD before I heard from UCSF and I heard that if you already got it done before, CertiPhi sends your information to other schools so I never actually received an email from UCSF. But when I did it a few weeks ago it did only take about 3 days for them to process it and to view my report. Since it's been so long I think you should check up on that. Or check your spam mail in case it ended up there.