ucsf curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomrocks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is mainly for current UCSF students.

I'm attending the pharmacy school this fall and I'm starting to prepare for various things like housing and financial aid. One thing I'm concerned about is the curriculum at UCSF. I have a disability and have always taken a few less units than normal during undergrad at Berkeley. I'm planning to visit the Disabled Students Program at UCSF to talk about how I would go about handling the classes at UCSF but I'm considering just taking all the normal courses and seeing how I can handle the load. I just wanted to ask current students what a typical day of school is like, what the stress level is, and if anyone is in DSP, how the program is at UCSF. Also, I applied to student housing at Mission Bay, does anyone know how long it takes for me to hear back from them? How are the financial aid packages? I know its kind of early to be thinking about this but I'm just trying to prepare myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, see if you can pass out of any classes. It will be very very helpful if you can.

Fall
Biostats- You can pass out if you've taken a class in biostats.
P-Chem- This time you need to take a waiver exam, I believe a 70% is a pass

Winter
Kinetics- Take a waiver exam
Biochem- Need to have taken a class, and need to pass a waiver exam, I believe 80% in order to pass out
Advanced O-Chem- Just need to have taken a grad level class in advanced ochem
Histology- Taken a class and pass a waiver exam

Spring
Anatomy- Taken a class and pass a waiver exam.

Trust me you want to pass out of these classes, it helps a whole lot!!

I applied to Mission Bay housing, too. I contacted housing services and they said that since Mission Bay is new, they won't be mailing out housing offers until 1-2 months. I was assured that chances for getting into Mission Bay are very good although I might not get what I requested in terms of roommates and type of room.

Regarding passing out of classes, would this affect my status as a full-time student? Hypothetically, if I waiver out of everything except cp112 and cp115 for winter quarter, is there something else for me to take? How detailed are the exams? For example, do I need to remember everything from cadaver lab for the anat exam? Also, is the material in the waived classes on the comprehensive exam in the 3rd year?
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Regarding passing out of classes, would this affect my status as a full-time student? Hypothetically, if I waiver out of everything except cp112 and cp115 for winter quarter, is there something else for me to take?

>>If you waive out of all the available courses, you are in very good shape to take courses (some core and some elective) that are 2nd and 3rd year level. You'll have to talk with OSACA to see if you qualify to take these upper level courses.

How detailed are the exams? For example, do I need to remember everything from cadaver lab for the anat exam?

>>Usually students study the old examinations for the exemptions. How detailed the material is depends on the course instructor giving the exam.
Also, is the material in the waived classes on the comprehensive exam in the 3rd year?

>>The materials you learned from waiving out of these classes will not be reflected in the comprehensive examination (unless there is a UCSF faculty reading this post as this very second and decides to change the test on us). The third years I talked said that the comprehensive focuses a lot on pharmacology which you will be learning during your 2nd and 3rd year and a hodge podge of other subjects. Good luck!