Quantcast

UCSF Interview

USF TCOP - Virtual Information Sessions
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I have an interview at UCSF next week and I'm so nervous. Has anyone had an interview there? I was hoping to get an idea of the types of questions I would be asked and what the essay is like. Please help me; I'm so nervous!!! :eek:
 

jky007

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
81
Reaction score
4
i had an interview there last week. i would look at the interview fdbk for the school.. they asked a lot of the same questions.. don't be nervous!
 

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
jky007 said:
i had an interview there last week. i would look at the interview fdbk for the school.. they asked a lot of the same questions.. don't be nervous!

Thanks! Are you referring to the interview link that they send you where they list "Questions to Ask Yourself" or is there an interview feedback page somewhere else?
 

snailman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
From the SDN home page, click on "Pharmacy School Interview Feeback" on the left sidebar. Then click the "Browse Feedback" button and choose your school. There are seventeen people who have had UCSF interviews, and post a fairly detailed description of the process and types of questions asked. Here's a diret link to that page.

I have an interview there next weekend as well. Best of luck!
 

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
snailman said:
From the SDN home page, click on "Pharmacy School Interview Feeback" on the left sidebar. Then click the "Browse Feedback" button and choose your school. There are seventeen people who have had UCSF interviews, and post a fairly detailed description of the process and types of questions asked. Here's a diret link to that page.

I have an interview there next weekend as well. Best of luck!

Best of Luck to you as well and thank you! That page is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm new to this website so I had not found it. One question for you: I was planning on wearing my business suit (i'm a female) to the interview but have heard that business casual is best. What are your thoughts on that?
 

snailman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
MuraRX said:
Best of Luck to you as well and thank you! That page is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm new to this website so I had not found it. One question for you: I was planning on wearing my business suit (i'm a female) to the interview but have heard that business casual is best. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm male, and I'm planning to wear a business suit, shirt, and tie. At the interviews I've been to so far, most men were in formal business attire. Women were wearing suit-type things, but I can't really say exactly how formal they were--I'm no expert in women's fashion. When in doubt, better too dressy than not dressy enough, right?
 

blizz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Wow, I didn't think the interview went so well. My interviewers seemed devoid of any friendliness and it seemed like my answers weren't adequate enough. Oh well. I was so nervous! How did you all do? :)
 

blizz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Wow, I didn't think the interview went so well. My interviewers seemed devoid of any friendliness and it seemed like my answers weren't adequate enough. Oh well. I was so nervous? How did you all do? :)
 

aya01

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
MuraRX said:
Best of Luck to you as well and thank you! That page is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm new to this website so I had not found it. One question for you: I was planning on wearing my business suit (i'm a female) to the interview but have heard that business casual is best. What are your thoughts on that?


There have been several threads on this topic, and in general, while business casual may be acceptable, a business suit is what most of the female users on this forum have worn for interviews. Just wear whatever you feel the most comfortable in as long as it is acceptable. :thumbup:

Good luck!
 

gimpsd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
133
Reaction score
0
blizz said:
Wow, I didn't think the interview went so well. My interviewers seemed devoid of any friendliness and it seemed like my answers weren't adequate enough. Oh well. I was so nervous! How did you all do? :)

I misread the stupid question and started writing about something completely unrealted to the topic. Realized my mistake about a 1/4 of the way through and had to restart the paper. I was so frazzeled after this goof that I barely remember what I wrote and I'm sure it's unintelligible to anyone reading it. Oh well, atleast I got into UOP so I can still be a pharmacist. Sure would have been nice to go to San Fran for school. I just love the city.
 

cheesygal

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
blizz said:
Wow, I didn't think the interview went so well. My interviewers seemed devoid of any friendliness and it seemed like my answers weren't adequate enough. Oh well. I was so nervous! How did you all do? :)

I was very excited to be there, but I was also VERY nervous. SO nervous that I forgot my interview questions several times and asked them to repeat it. I couldn't tell if the interviewers liked me or not. =( And now thinking about some of the questions they asked and what my answers were, I think my answers sucked. :scared:
 

DC1120

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Hi, for those who went to their interviews, what kind of questions did they ask you to write during the essay portion?

Also, what kind of questions did you guys ask them interviewers? about how many questions did they ask?

Thank you!!!!!
 

sweetemo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2003
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
i went to to an interview on 1/27. hope some of my notes can be helpful to you guys going to ucsf soon!

everyone, men and women wore suits for their interview. there is a student chat room and informal tours, so go early to your interview and you will get lots of pointers and ideas for your interview from current ucsf students, you can even practice with them. also you can stay after your interview. i got most of my information about the school and life at UCSF at this chat room.

they give you three essay choices and 45minutes for an essay, plenty of time. make sure you just write an outline, give an intro stating what your essay is about and stick with 2-3 ideas with plenty of examples/qualifications, and conclude. you know how to write a good essay i am sure, just make sure it is complete. i overheard current students reviewing some essays at the end of the day and some people were really ragging on some of the essays for poor grammar and not answering the questions. they give you a small space to answer the essay question so don't get too involved or deep, just stick with a few good ideas and explain it well, use all your transitions, intros/conclusion statements. the questions were all some kind of moral or ethical dilemma, may or may not be pharm related. they gave three choices, and seriously it doesn't matter what side you take as long as you answer the questions, and present both sides and argue your case. i chose one question to answer that was about how Americans pick up new technology so quickly, talk about why this may be negative and is there anything that can be done about it.

the interview was with a faculty and a third year student about 35minutes long, hopefully longer for you if you are really charming and there's lots to talk about =). they have your Form B so they may ask you about some of your experiences. they asked "why pharmacy" and also a lot of self-assessment questions. what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses, what good things would your classmates say about you after you graduate, what bad things would people say about you, what do you expect to be your favorite/least favorite thing about your future career, what are your career goals, what is one ethical dilemma you have faced and how did you deal with it, what would you do about something you saw someone doing morally wrong etc. they have a 8x11 booklet of questions that they pick questions out of, so they may have a field day with you. i think if you are earnest, and review your application, your resume, your motivation for pharmacy, and think about a few of your weaknesses and strengths and be honest and loving towards yourself in your assessment you will do great :). When they asked me what questions I would like to ask I just asked about who my interviewers were and how they felt about UCSF, etc. just a natural conversation that grew out naturally from me asking about who they were. This was actually quite a bit of the interview and more informative to me about their attitude towards the school.

All the students at UCSF are very happy people and really nice and will help you.

Good luck to everyone!
 

gimpsd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
133
Reaction score
0
Has anyone gotten an accpetance letter from UCSF yet? Do they wait until after all students have completed their interviews?
 

chichan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
At least for last year, the first acceptance letters were mailed out on the first week of march. I think they will conclude all the interviews before they make the final decision because they are not in a rolling basis. Good luck everyone! :luck:
 

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I had my interview this past Saturday. I ended up wearing the business suit (thanks everyone for your input :) ). I think the interview itself went well overall. They mostly asked questions about why pharmacy, what do I think makes me unique above others, what do I do at work and what is my favorite part about it, etc. They basically just want to get to know you a little bit. The essay portion was fine; they just want to see if you can get your ideas across in an organized manner.

I have a question though. Has anyone had a really bad pre-requisite evaluation? That was the most disappointing part of my interview day. They are not accepting my Physics II because it wasn't calculus-based, they say I need another Bio class--I was a BIO major!!!---and they are not taking my public speaking class. Also, I am completing Anatomy & Physiology I this semester and they said I have to take part II. I'm so frustrated! It's gonna be really hard to get all these classes over 1 summer!! :(
 

chichan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Did u go over your pre-reqs with James? I think Physics doesn't have to be calculus-based because I don't have it and it seems fine. I wonder if you are missing the general biology class because if you are a bio major, you should have that covered...
I would double check that because if you have to take the courses over the summer, it will be very stressful. Good luck!
 

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I spoke with James briefly but he asked me to email him Monday, which I did. I reiterated in the email that I took both Physics I & II with labs (only phys I was calc-based). I have a B.A. in Bio so i don't understand what the missing bio class is all about. He still hasn't gotten back to me. I hope that he does soon, with good news. This has me very upset and frustrated :scared: :(
 

chichan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
MuraRX said:
I spoke with James briefly but he asked me to email him Monday, which I did. I reiterated in the email that I took both Physics I & II with labs (only phys I was calc-based). I have a B.A. in Bio so i don't understand what the missing bio class is all about. He still hasn't gotten back to me. I hope that he does soon, with good news. This has me very upset and frustrated :scared: :(

I just remembered that last year, I switched from calculus-based Phy to a non-calc-based Phy and I discussed that with James on my interview date. He told me to get him a course description and fax it to him. So maybe you can do that and let him look through the course. Be sure you get a detailed description, which sometimes is not available on the web. I had to go to my school physics department to request that. I'm pretty sure physics doesnt have to be calculus-based otherwise I'll be doomed! :scared:
I hope this helps!
 

CalGrl05

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
hey can anyone give me the contact info of the person in charge of all the prereq stuff? Im an idiot and i left my interview enveloppe there with all my stuff in it. :rolleyes: thanks~!
 

tomrocks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
CalGrl05 said:
hey can anyone give me the contact info of the person in charge of all the prereq stuff? Im an idiot and i left my interview enveloppe there with all my stuff in it. :rolleyes: thanks~!

i'm assuming you mean james betbeze:

James Betbeze
Admissions Coordinator
UCSF Pharmacy
415/476.2733
[email protected]
 

CalGrl05

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
tomrocks said:
i'm assuming you mean james betbeze:

James Betbeze
Admissions Coordinator
UCSF Pharmacy
415/476.2733
[email protected]


THanks!! hey, does anyone know how much weight the faculty's feedback has over the student's? or do both interviewers decide together ?
 

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
chichan said:
I just remembered that last year, I switched from calculus-based Phy to a non-calc-based Phy and I discussed that with James on my interview date. He told me to get him a course description and fax it to him. So maybe you can do that and let him look through the course. Be sure you get a detailed description, which sometimes is not available on the web. I had to go to my school physics department to request that. I'm pretty sure physics doesnt have to be calculus-based otherwise I'll be doomed! :scared:
I hope this helps!

Where did you do your undergrad? Are you in CA? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I emailed james and explained that I took both Physics I and II. He reiterated that it is not calculus-based, therefore not acceptable. Also, although I have a ton of biology classes (bio major) he said the only ones they accept to fill their requirements are 2200 (Cell Biology) and 2400 (Genes, Organisms, Populations). This makes no sense to me since I also took General Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Botany, Genetics, Microbiology, Advanced Microbiology, and a Senior Seminar Biology Research class!!! I'm so frustrated!

I wonder if it will make a difference if I tell him about other people who have gotten in without having calculus-based physics or if that will just make him mad?
 

DHG

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
568
Reaction score
1
MuraRX said:
Also, although I have a ton of biology classes (bio major) he said the only ones they accept to fill their requirements are 2200 (Cell Biology) and 2400 (Genes, Organisms, Populations). This makes no sense to me since I also took General Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Botany, Genetics, Microbiology, Advanced Microbiology, and a Senior Seminar Biology Research class!!! I'm so frustrated!
Okay, that just sucks. So your Ecology and Genetics doesn't cover "Genes, Organisms, and Populations"? or whatever they call it? And your General Bio and 2 Micros don't cover their "Cell Biology"??? That's ******ed. I wonder is there someone else you could talk to about this and clarify that the statement you recieved from that guy is correct. That sounds unreasonable to me (but what do I know.) :thumbdown:

I wouldn't mention knowing other people that got in with deficiencies because that will make you sound like a whiner, or like you are trying to cut corners. You need to compare the curriculum in these 2 bio classes to the bio classes you already had, and make a case that you have covered the required material. Is there any way you can get a description of the courses they require and then get someone (the registrar, maybe? or dean of the Bio department?) at your school to go over your courses with you and make a letter stating that they are equivalent? You could do the letter yourself, but having it on university letterhead from an official at your school will make it sound more "official."

If they accept your Bio classes that just leaves you with Physics and speech.. totally do-able in the summer.

Just curious, did you do the BA at community college or at a university?
 

starsweet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
1
UCSF is anal about prereqs. I found this out when I sent them my transcripts last year when I was thinking about applying. They would not take my English 101 class which was credit only because the credit was through an SAT II exam. Also when they sent a list of approved courses for my school they couldn't "find" any classes at my school for physiology and some other prereqs, and I went to a science school!! So I didn't even apply there. Too bad, it would have been nice to go there.
 

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
DHG said:
Okay, that just sucks. So your Ecology and Genetics doesn't cover "Genes, Organisms, and Populations"? or whatever they call it? And your General Bio and 2 Micros don't cover their "Cell Biology"??? That's ******ed. I wonder is there someone else you could talk to about this and clarify that the statement you recieved from that guy is correct. That sounds unreasonable to me (but what do I know.) :thumbdown:

I wouldn't mention knowing other people that got in with deficiencies because that will make you sound like a whiner, or like you are trying to cut corners. You need to compare the curriculum in these 2 bio classes to the bio classes you already had, and make a case that you have covered the required material. Is there any way you can get a description of the courses they require and then get someone (the registrar, maybe? or dean of the Bio department?) at your school to go over your courses with you and make a letter stating that they are equivalent? You could do the letter yourself, but having it on university letterhead from an official at your school will make it sound more "official."

If they accept your Bio classes that just leaves you with Physics and speech.. totally do-able in the summer.

Just curious, did you do the BA at community college or at a university?

Thanks for the support :) Actually, i wasn't clear--I did take Cell Biology. The one bio they're saying that I don't meet the requirement for is the "Genes, Organisms and Populations" which I totally agree with you; my Genetics and Ecology should cover these. Especially since they are more advanced classes than the one they're asking for!
I thought about trying to speak to someone else, but I have a feeling that might make things worse. It would be like "going over his head" wouldn't it?
However, your idea about having a letter made up by the dean of the Biology department is great! I'm gonna call and see if I can get an appt. with her.
Thanks for your ideas! I'll keep everyone updated :)

ps..i went to Kean University in NJ. They have an awesome biology program, which is why this makes no sense :(
 
Top