UCSF - Nearby Hotels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snailman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a hotel that is relatively cheap and convenient to UCSF? I am aware of the listings on the UCSF visitor information page, but I was hoping some of you might have an experience-based recommendation. Thanks and good luck to everyone with interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

snailman said:
Can anyone recommend a hotel that is relatively cheap and convenient to UCSF? I am aware of the listings on the UCSF visitor information page, but I was hoping some of you might have an experience-based recommendation. Thanks and good luck to everyone with interviews!

You can try the Carl Hotel, that is nearby UCSF and has reasonable rates. You also may want to check out Japantown, they have the Radisson Miyako and Best Western. Downtown is pretty much uphill from there, but sometimes there's deals. If you want really cheap, there's the Vagabond Inn on Van Ness... but I'm not sure if they finished renovating that place.

We were in SF a few months ago and stayed at the Metro Hotel, a neat little place at Divisadero and Haight, which is a few minute (not far) cab ride from UCSF. Very cheap (about $60/night) but no frills. It was clean, though, and the restaraunt next door is good. Although anything in San Francisco proper is going to be just a short cab ride away...

We also stayed a Hilton over near the airport that was NOT cheap, but it was very nice. Any of the chain hotels near the airport can have you at UCSF in a short cab ride.

But if you want to stay in the city, and want CHEAP, I can recommend the Metro. We stayed there about 4 days, and I would stay there again. :thumbup:

I wanted to second the recommendation for the Carl Hotel (it's also listed on the UCSF visitors page mentioned). It's on Carl and Stanyan St. They have inexpensive rates (and they used to have discounts for UCSF affiliates, possibly still in existence). It is WALKING distance (yes, even in my heels...really depends though, on your level of fitness & comfort) to campus. It's small and not posh, no frills, but there was a fridge and TV, and choice of private or shared bath (small price difference)...it fulfilled my needs for the interview weekend.