UCSF (OOS) vs. VCU (OOS) vs. Maryland (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apanano

Reaction score
Hi! I’m feeling really grateful to have been accepted to a few schools, and I’m hoping to get some help narrowing it down.

I’m not a resident of any of the states where these schools are located, and my family lives nowhere near any of these schools. I also liked all three locations. I’m not exactly sure which one is the cheapest, but I know that for VCU, you can’t claim residency if you start as OOS.

Which school should I go to?

I got into:
  • UCSF
  • VCU
  • Maryland
Any insight is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I’m feeling really grateful to have been accepted to a few schools, and I’m hoping to get some help narrowing it down.

I’m not a resident of any of the states where these schools are located, and my family lives nowhere near any of these schools. I also liked all three locations. I’m not exactly sure which one is the cheapest, but I know that for VCU, you can’t claim residency if you start as OOS.

I got into:
  • UCSF
  • VCU
  • Maryland

UCSF you can get residency after 1 year

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can get in-state with Maryland after 1 year. Since we're comparing all public schools, please go to the cheapest. There is no difference at all other than cost in consideration. So, that eliminates VCU, since you can't get in-state ever. I'd pick UCSF if cost is not more than 10k-30k vs. Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

I got into:
  • UCSF
  • VCU
  • Maryland

I would go to Maryland if I could.

If you are looking for the cheapest school, according to SDN's dental school ranking, it is
Cheapest: VCU, Middle: Maryland, Most expensive: UCSF

These are all resident tuitions. I don't know what is OOS tuition for VCU.

스크린샷 2018-12-04 오후 11.01.11.png

I don't know what that means, but it is easier to get into a specialization in certain schools than others.
So like it's not only about the money

It means that the schools that have high specialization rates (UCSF, UConn, Harvard, UPenn, Columbia) accept a lot of students with high stats that know they want to specialize coming into dental school. If you have more than half the class that wants to specialize then odds are the specialization rate will be high. Sure the name only gives you a slight edge or a med school based curriculum might help you on the CBSE.

Anyways looks like UCSF will be the cheapest and has a high specialization rate so what a win

Holy crap VCU has gone up a lot in 10yrs. I thought my class was getting raped. Guess that’s true at all the schools tho. You really have to come out of school swinging now to make it work.

Reactions: 1 user
$100k/year OOS. That is bats**t crazy. I am honestly not sure whether to celebrate with you guys as your hard work in undergrad starts to pay off with well-earned acceptance letters this week, or commiserate with you about all the debt you are about to take on.

Celebrate, I guess... it's not your fault that the schools have lost any sense of restraint. Sincere congrats on the multiple offers at fine schools -- now for the love of god, go to the cheapest one and don't look back.

Yes you can get in-state with Maryland after 1 year. Since we're comparing all public schools, please go to the cheapest. There is no difference at all other than cost in consideration. So, that eliminates VCU, since you can't get in-state ever. I'd pick UCSF if cost is not more than 10k-30k vs. Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hmm... what about rent? 1300-1500 for your part in a 2 bedroom or to share with other D1's in a larger apartment.

Maryland has LOT of fees that add up to the tuition so it may not be so cheap even with instate tuition. I saw that OOS is expected to need 120,000 per year and in-state need about 92,000 per year - including the expected living expenses (saw this from recently interviewed friend's financial aid packet). Make sure to add up all the fees that they are hiding :/