UCSF people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanyas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions for those at UCSF or planning to attend: for those accepted ang going in fall, where are you planning to live? Also, does ayone knows by how much the tuition will be raised for next year? For those that are students already, does the UC system give any grants/sholarships to cover anything? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

TanyaS, Dean Koda-Kimble sent us letters detailing the budget crisis and how it impacts funding for the School of Pharmacy. Basically, student fees are going up by another $5K. This year it costs in-state residents around $12K for tuition, so when you start we are gonna pay $17K. I don't know how much out-of-states have to pay, but it's probably be gonna $20-$25K.

that's a hell of increase...do you guys get any grants since it's uc system?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on what kind of financial aid you apply for, your financial situation, and your previous academic performance as well as your extracurrics, grants are available. I think some of my friends got anywhere from $1K-$3K in grants. Yeah, it sucks that we got the brunt of the budget deficit, but UCSF is still cheaper than the private schools, and the investment will be well worth with once you get your PharmD.

hey neonam, i am planning to bring my car up there. How do you guys deal with parking situation. I heard its like a war zone

pharmacy111,
where are you planning to live?

Pharmacy111, deciding whether to bring your car really depends where you are going to live and what kind of lifestyle you would like to maintain. First, if you decide to live at Turk, the apartment owned by UCSF and ruled by the pharm students, then parking is available, as well as the single-unit housing units at Aldea Housing. If you decide to live near campus and live at one of the Avenue Houses, parking is harder to find although you are allowed to apply for a permit which allows you to park on the streets from 3rd to 10th or 11th Avenue (I forget) for the entire day instead of the usual 2 hours. You can also rent space in someones garage, the asking rate going anywhere from $100-$300/month or more, I suspect.

I live further away from campus in a private flat, so I usually can park on the streets when space is not available in our garage. However, I am moving closer to campus come next fall, so I am thinking about giving up my car. This leads me to the next topic. If you are the type that loves to drive and go discover new places around the Bay Area--the Peninsula, Marin, Napa, Oakland, etc.--then a car is a must unless you find some awesome friends who will drive you around. For me, I like hanging out in the city, and the city's rail system, Muni, takes me where I want to go.

I live at Turk apartments, and also have my car. Turk does have a garage, but only has enough spaces for about 10 cars (mine not being one of those). I park my car on the steet - finding a spot really isn't bad at all - you need to get a residential permit which allows you to park on the street except during street cleaning (once a week for two hours, depending on the side of the street...). I am moving to the avenue housing this spring (my own room, yes!!), where parking is the same situation, but a little harder to find (and no garage).
Also, I pay out of state tuition this year, and it comes to a little over $24,000.
-jason

I sent in my housing app immediately last week...how likely is it to get housing in the first place? I live out of state, so I know it will be a massive pain to fly out and find a place. How hard is it to establish residency after a year at UCSF? I only moved to AZ to basically apply to school,. I'm sure it is a tough process. Any suggs?

Originally posted by Oneday_9
I sent in my housing app immediately last week...how likely is it to get housing in the first place? I live out of state, so I know it will be a massive pain to fly out and find a place. How hard is it to establish residency after a year at UCSF? I only moved to AZ to basically apply to school,. I'm sure it is a tough process. Any suggs?

It's based on a lottery system from what it says on the website: http://www.housing.ucsf.edu/cho/OC_single_student.html Any first years want to room with me on On-Campus housing? I prefer someone who doesn't snore =P PM me

Dunno how hard it is to get student housing. I always thought it was pretty easy. I think Jason got a place at Turk near the beginning of fall quarter. I think most med and dental students opt to live off-campus, so the competition decreases dramatically.

As for establishing residency, it's pretty easy as well from what my classmates tell me. Basically you can't go home for the summer and work in your home-state. This means that it's very important for you to find a summer internship ahead of time so you won't be stuck out here without any funds. To show that you intend to live in Cali, you gotta do some of the following: register for a driver's license (if you drive) or California identification card, establish a bank account, register to vote, etc.

Originally posted by Oneday_9

when did you get the housing app? i replied dto the provisional acceptance in the beginning of march and still have not received any additional packets. do i have to call ucsf to get the housing app?

needpharmd, you are listed in karma's list going to UCSD. CHange of plans?

IF you just go to the UCSF housing website, you can download the app and submit it to them. I just browsed and saw I could do it now, they also have a section to find roomamates for off campus housing. Pretty cool.