1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UCSF Question(Supplemental)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by shaq786, Aug 2, 2006.

1. shaq786

shaq786 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok I'm reading the supplemental application, but this one seems to be the hardest:

What insight into the human condition will you bring to your studies at UCSF?

So my question is what are they asking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pharmd4me@510

[email protected] druggist_2_be
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was having problems with this question too. I guess you could use your personal experience. That's what I did. For example, diabetes, high blood pressure, high chloresterol, erectile disfunction, etc :D . I talked with my prehealth counselor and he advised me that there is no right or wrong answer. They just want to get to know more about you as person.

4. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

First - remember who your target audience is. UCSF is a widely known teaching & research facility with worldwide alumni in diverse practice settings. They want to not only know you, but know if you can translate their educational opportunity to a broader realm of humanity than just your own corner drugstore.

Look up what human condition is. In its strictest sense, it is just the experience of being human & living human lives. However, medicine (in the broad sense) has changed both. The pharmacy part of medicine has enormously changed the human condition - we have completely wiped out some diseases (smallpox for example), are making great strides in anticipating infectious disease outbreaks so we no longer will have pandemics (influenza), & should have worked much harder to eradicate diseases in disadvantaged areas (malaria) but didn't because they have not been right under our nose until now with more global travel.

Contraception was one of the largest pharmaceutical impacts on the human condition (each of us has our own moral beliefs, I'm bringing this from a purely pharrmaceutical perspective only). Not only could men & women decide when to reproduce, it reduced infant & mother mortality since women could control their reproduction when they were most physically able to deliver healthy babies. In spite of this, in some third world nations, this opportunity is still not available & infant/mother mortality is still high (certainly there are other factors involved - I'm not meaning to be simplistic).

So...from a broad world wide perspective.....what can you see yourself doing to improve the human condition? It can be as global as becoming involved in the malaria project which has recently been funded by the Bill Gates Foundation or as small as being a drug educator to a senior interest group in your community. But....what can you give back after you've been given this astounding opportunity to be educated at UCSF?

I hope this helps!