UCSF Reloaded-- Anyone excited? Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am hoping that we all get in off of HP instead of being put on lower half of waitlist. UCSF is my number one and I think like the rest of you, I will be extremely dissapointed if all of this waiting results in a rejection or lower half of the waitlist. :(

time to go wait some more.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, the results of a little mdapps search from last year. No mention of the HP in the 2005 or 2004 cycle. Maybe it's a new word for them.

High priority --> accept
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3980

High priority --> lower half of waitlist
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5044
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5150
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4694

I know, it doesn't mean much to me either, but after I searched, I thought I'd share...

If you do a search for last year's thread, you'll find that many people were put on the upper waitlist as well. In fact, the waitlist was created from High Priority applicants. There is no separate waitlist from non-high priority applicants.

Prior years' threads have also included thie high priority term. I think they've been doing it for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the good wishes bhbh48 and ltrain. Nothing for me yesterday; you still high and dry too, photo_girl?

I'm actually off tonight camping (my wife is a teacher on spring break) on Angel Island, so no mail check until late tomorrow night. My wife thought it would be nice to take my mind off things. Ironically, you can see UCSF up on the hill from our campsite on the water.

If you do a search for last year's thread, you'll find that many people were put on the upper waitlist as well. In fact, the waitlist was created from High Priority applicants. There is no separate waitlist from non-high priority applicants.

Prior years' threads have also included thie high priority term. I think they've been doing it for a while.

Yeah, I was just sharing what was reported on mdapps.

Here's the thread I think you're talking about:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=280327&highlight=ucsf+2006

Doesn't look like anyone reported acceptances at the beginning of May, only upper WL, lower WL, and rejects. WL began to move 5/20.

I wonder if there will be a mid-April batch of acceptances, like previous months. It seems like they should still have more positions to offer if they accept ~250.

So, if we are lucky enough to be in the top half, then we will hear acceptance news at the end of May. So def no second look for us WL ppl then. Oh geez. I'm not gonna make it to the end of May...

Warning: Random Rant:

I am REALLY REALLY F***ING SICK and TIRED of F***ING WAITING!!! ARGGH!!!!! ARGHH!!!!!!! :mad: Its April.. I just want 1 acceptance. :(

Ok, I'm done. Sorry. (apparently 4 cups of coffee is a wee bit much for me) :oops:

So, if we are lucky enough to be in the top half, then we will hear acceptance news at the end of May. So def no second look for us WL ppl then. Oh geez. I'm not gonna make it to the end of May...

I am REALLY REALLY F***ING SICK and TIRED of F***ING WAITING!!! ARGGH!!!!! ARGHH!!!!!!! :mad: Its April.. I just want 1 acceptance. :(

Ok, I'm done. Sorry. (apparently 4 cups of coffee is a wee bit much for me) :oops:

Right there with you Karakiz!!!!! We can make it to the end of the month! I have my fingers crossed!

Hang in there, KaraKiz :( I'm sure an acceptance is coming any day now!

As I think I posted before, if Dr Wofsy was right about the numbers he gave when I interviewed (30 accepts/month for Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar), there should still be a large chunk of acceptances left to give out. Maybe they'll review the HPs and send out one more round in mid-April. Let's hope for that ;)

I thought someone reading this might have the UCSF match list, which I can't seem to find anywhere. Thanks!

I thought someone reading this might have the UCSF match list, which I can't seem to find anywhere. Thanks!

They post it near the student lounge. Feel free to come and see that in Medical Science building. :D

NDY- Have fun at camping at Angel's Island.

No news today....maybe tommorrow, or sometime this millenium :)

Good Luck everyone :luck: :luck: :luck:

After talking with Tom Novantry, I am so excited about UCSF!!!! Here is to withdrawing form the other schools. UCSF is amazing for International health!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in international health, too. What did you learn?

UCSF is definitely the best public school in international health. I received my masters in international health, so it was really important to me in picking UCSF as a school. Just go to the Global Health page off of the website, it gives a pretty good overview.

3+ monthes later, I final got some communication from UCSF. I am accepted!!!!! Yessssssss! Superexcited now that I can join such an amazing group of students. Can't wait to meet you all at 2nd Look.

And for everyone on HP, good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

NDY- any news?

I am so excited!!!!!!!!!1 :love: :) :laugh:

Congratulations!!!! How exciting! Sorry we won't be seeing you at UCLA (that's most likely where I'll be come August)..... Enjoy SF!! :)

3+ monthes later, I final got some communication from UCSF. I am accepted!!!!! Yessssssss! Superexcited now that I can join such an amazing group of students. Can't wait to meet you all at 2nd Look.

NDY- any news?

OMG, I've only been away from this thread for a few days & look all that's happened! I'm really glad no one was injured in the car accident (back a couple of pages). Congratulations Photo_girl! You've given me some much needed hope. Were you HP'd before today as well?

P.S. How did UCSF contact U to give U the good news?

NDY- any news?

YAY!!! Congrats!!! Maybe that means good news for NDY, too!

OMG, I've only been away from this thread for a few days & look all that's happened! I'm really glad no one was injured in the car accident (back a couple of pages). Congratulations Photo_girl! You've given me some much needed hope. Were you HP'd before today as well?

P.S. How did UCSF contact U to give U the good news?

This is the first decision made...I was not HP. It just took them over UCSF over 3 monthes :) I got a big envelope in the mail (my parents opened it :)

NDY- I'm rooting for you. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Photogirl- you bring us some much needed sunshine to this thread! Congrats- I'm so happy for you. You've got some decisions to make, girl! Of course everyone knows that NorCal is so much superior to SoCal... :D

SF

3+ monthes later, I final got some communication from UCSF. I am accepted!!!!! Yessssssss!
Big hearty congratulations, photo_girl! That's great news. Looks like they haven't run out of the "You're In" stationary yet. Well done...

NDY- any news?
Nothing in today's mail. I called and asked and was given the "you'll hear something in 1 to 2 weeks..." Ah well...

Again, nicely done. Hope you celebrate your well deserved acceptance properly...

Huge congrats photogirl! Best of luck notdeadyet and the rest of those waiting. The class of 2007 is going to be awesome!

Hey guys,
Thought this would be a good time to ask this question given Photogirl's acceptance at UCSF. Why go to UCSF over UCLA? I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to both schools and have been struggling with this issue for a long time. I liked UCLA better and think I would have more fun there, but UCSF has a better reputation and I don't want to hinder my chances at getting a competitive residency. Besides reputation and prestige, why do you guys like UCSF over UCLA? Food for thought - if the rankings were reversed, would you go to UCLA over UCSF? Thanks for the input guys.

NDY- any news?

:D :D CONGRATULATIONS PG, YOU DESERVE IT----:D :D

NDY- any news?

Congrats PG-

Finally you got in. Now to decide between SF and UCLA.:D

NDY- any news?

CONGRATS photogirl!!! so exciting!!

I am accepted!!!!! Yessssssss! :luck: :luck: :luck:

You should be excited. Congratulations! I bet all that waiting seems worth it now, doesn't it?

:luck: :luck: Come on HP decisions!!!:luck: :luck:

I :love: you guys :)

Yes, the waiting was unbearable...but it was worth it :D .

For all the HP folks, I hope the acceptances come rolling so that we can really get this party started :laugh:

Ahhh, what a day! :p

Congrats PG!!! Not a very frequent poster in this thread, but I've been rooting for you! way to go, NDY, hopefully youre next! then.... Cmon HP decisions!

I :love: you guys :)

Yes, the waiting was unbearable...but it was worth it :D .

For all the HP folks, I hope the acceptances come rolling so that we can really get this party started :laugh:

Ahhh, what a day! :p

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I was in you guys' class...

w00t for Photo girl!!

Questions, how are we going to identify each other at 2nd look weekend?

first, HUGE congrats to PG. I think our class is going to be incredible (you're coming, right PG?).

As for the UCLA vs. UCSF question, I think if you want a residency in CA, do well at either and you'll be fine. I think if you like socal and LA better than SF, go to LA. I don't think the reputations are that disparate. That said, why would you want the traffic of LA over the rolling hills of SF? haha, I'm biased :).

As for the UCLA vs. UCSF question, I think if you want a residency in CA, do well at either and you'll be fine.
I'd agree with PeripateticMD on this one, ryanpahler. I would say that both have pretty comparable reputations for residencies in California.
I think if you like socal and LA better than SF, go to LA.
Agree again. SF and LA could not be more different. It is very hard to love both. If you are more a southern california type, go to UCLA. If you are more a northern california type, go to UCSF. Northern California is actually a lot more like the Pacific Northwest than it is like southern California.
That said, why would you want the traffic of LA over the rolling hills of SF? haha, I'm biased :).
Traffic in the Bay Area isn't as bad as LA, but it's not too far off. The joy of SF to me isn't that it's easier to drive, but that you don't have to. Great public transport system (though we complain about it a lot).

Ignore the rankings on the schools and go with your gut. UCSF vs. UCLA is a lot easier a decision than most, because the two environments couldn't be more different. These are good choices to have to make, btw...

Congrats PG!!!! :thumbup: I hope the incredibly long wait was worth it :) Here's to hoping for some movement on the WL and for a big white packet to arrive in NDY's mailbox... :luck:

Congrats PG!!!! :thumbup: I hope the incredibly long wait was worth it :) Here's to hoping for some movement on the WL and for a big white packet to arrive in NDY's mailbox... :luck:

I'm with you on this- Here is to happy decisions for all :) NDY- good luck :luck:

To identify, you can use my avatar (just kidding :)

I'm with you on this- Here is to happy decisions for all :) NDY- good luck :luck:

To identify, you can use my avatar (just kidding :)

You actually could identify me from my avatar - I'll be the one wearing the Jack Daniel's shirt with a Killians in my hand.. :D I'll probably also be the only person in San Francisco wearing a Redskins hat.

first, HUGE congrats to PG. I think our class is going to be incredible (you're coming, right PG?).

As for the UCLA vs. UCSF question, I think if you want a residency in CA, do well at either and you'll be fine. I think if you like socal and LA better than SF, go to LA. I don't think the reputations are that disparate. That said, why would you want the traffic of LA over the rolling hills of SF? haha, I'm biased :).

Right now It's between UCSF and UCLA. I will be going to both Second Looks to get a feel for the atmosphere, students, and faculty. It's will be a hard decision. But I feel incredibly lucky to be able to stay in CA and get a UC education. :)

In the end, I will go with my gut (where I feel most happy)

And thanks again to everyone for being so amazing. It's so great to have a community of people to celebrate with. And I the celebrating is just beginning :love:

Congrats PG!!!!

I hope to get off the wailist and join you all in San Fran.:D

We need a gang sign... or a secret handshake...

How bout we wink with our left eye and pull our right ear simultaneously. not only will we be able to identify each other, but everyone else will think we're crazy... um, well... here's another idea! if people who want to identify themselves to this group of acceptees - just PM me with your real name and email address and I'll put a list together and send it out tomorrow (to give everyone time to deliberate). If HP want this too, just do the same. that way we can un-anonymous-ize ourselves, but not on the public forum...

Congrats Photo_girl. That's a big achievement to get into both LA and SF. :thumbup: Hope to see you at 2nd look weekend.

If I hear anytime before second look weekend, I will search for you all. I really hope that there is some HP movement for us folk. :D :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

btw . . . I love both San Francisco and Los Angeles but I grew up in LA and would welcome being able to walk and take public transportation instead of always driving.

so far i've had a few PMs trickle in for our pre-second look intro to each other. i think we're pretty good looking thus far... just name, where you're coming from, email and something interesting :).

PeripateticMD, you are a genius. Good idea.

Hello Everyone! I've lurked on this thread for a while and anxiously waited for news from UCSF. I just received the big white envelope in LA. I wish everyone good luck and hope to meet all of you at second look weekend.

congratulations, chemist. Nicely done!