UCSF School of Pharmacy Accreditation with Probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazinglycrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why UCSF's PharmD program is placed on probation status? o_O

It says on their website, https://pharmd.ucsf.edu/:

University of California San Francisco School of Pharmacy’s Doctor of Pharmacy program has been given the status of Accreditation with Probation by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, 135 South LaSalle Street, Suite 4100, Chicago, IL 60603, 312/664-3575; FAX, 312/664-4652, web site www.acpe-accredit.org, for partial or non-compliance with Standard 14: Curricular Core – Pharmacy Practice Experiences. For an explanation of the program’s Accreditation with Probation status, consult the Office of the Dean or ACPE.

Members don't see this ad.

Goes to show us all - US News and Rankings system is highly flawed. My hopeful attempt at an answer to your question: not enough hours and rotation sites for the countless students in the California region. I am surprised ACPE did not attempt to sweep this issue under the rug...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Goes to show us all - US News and Rankings system is highly flawed. My hopeful attempt at an answer to your question: not enough hours and rotation sites for the countless students in the California region. I am surprised ACPE did not attempt to sweep this issue under the rug...

ucsf now on probation? i'm shocked honestly. the us news is flawed in many ways but the pedigree at ucsf is pretty high. the students there are professional, smart and would mostly make good pharmacists.

that's an interesting theory, idk much about the bay area so i can't comment but that explanation could make sense. maybe there were issues with preceptors? harassment? idk. though honestly it's nothing to panic about. ucsf has it's own medical center itself a practice site which is world renowned. and it's a big economic engine in that area. there's too much money involved and the pharmacy profession would be impacted by losing a school that contributed so much to pharmacy and healthcare in general it wouldn't make sense to get rid of accreditation. it's also against ACPE interest to knock of accreditation and it's pretty hard to lose if not impossible. it's likely more just a "look please do better and clean it up" plus ucsf has the resources to remedy the problem as well. if worse comes to worse they have the endowment to pay for a more rotation sites or whatever the issue is.

schools like unc, upitt, u mich, ucsf, ucsd, are like your s&p 500 companies, they'll never go away, they're huge, stable companies with a lot of exposures and less risk. your private schools newly opened questionable practices are more your small-mid cap higher risk international companies. if im a student at ucsf, i wouldn't even sweat.

why is ucsd suspended though?

ucsf now on probation? i'm shocked honestly. the us news is flawed in many ways but the pedigree at ucsf is pretty high. the students there are professional, smart and would mostly make good pharmacists.

that's an interesting theory, idk much about the bay area so i can't comment but that explanation could make sense. maybe there were issues with preceptors? harassment? idk. though honestly it's nothing to panic about. ucsf has it's own medical center itself a practice site which is world renowned. and it's a big economic engine in that area. there's too much money involved and the pharmacy profession would be impacted by losing a school that contributed so much to pharmacy and healthcare in general it wouldn't make sense to get rid of accreditation. it's also against ACPE interest to knock of accreditation and it's pretty hard to lose if not impossible. it's likely more just a "look please do better and clean it up" plus ucsf has the resources to remedy the problem as well. if worse comes to worse they have the endowment to pay for a more rotation sites or whatever the issue is.

schools like unc, upitt, u mich, ucsf, ucsd, are like your s&p 500 companies, they'll never go away, they're huge, stable companies with a lot of exposures and less risk. your private schools newly opened questionable practices are more your small-mid cap higher risk international companies. if im a student at ucsf, i wouldn't even sweat.

why is ucsd suspended though?

I have just looked it up and figured that UCSD is not on probation anymore. I remember they used to be about a year ago.

my conspiracy theory senses tell me that ACPE is placing these top schools on probation to intimidate the poorer quality, newly opened schools into meeting standards by saying, "Look the best schools aren't meeting standards and we for once will do our job to actually have schools meet standards so they are whipping the top schools as an example to make newer schools meet those standards" they wouldn't punish new schools as they know it'd make them look bad and have poor judgment and ruin their image further.

i hope that isn't true but you never know.

I know/have known numerous UCSD students and pharmacists. Their probation was due to rotation site issues. I was told that the issues were relatively minor and that they would be fixed. The school's probationary status was removed some time ago. My experience with graduates has been very positive. Two inpatient pharmacists at my hospital graduated from there and they are excellent.

Very surprised about UCSF, my guess is rotation sites, but that is only my personal opinion, not based on any inside information. Thank you for sharing the above link.

I just got an email today from UCSF saying their probationary status has been lifted and they have been granted full accreditation status:

"At the June 25-27, 2015 meeting of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the Board voted to recognize the School as fully accredited and compliant with all standards. Accreditation for the Doctor of Pharmacy program is extended through June 30, 2022."

I just got an email today from UCSF saying their probationary status has been lifted and they have been granted full accreditation status:

"At the June 25-27, 2015 meeting of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the Board voted to recognize the School as fully accredited and compliant with all standards. Accreditation for the Doctor of Pharmacy program is extended through June 30, 2022."

did the email state why UCSF pharmacy was put on probation in 2015?

Isn't there some quote like, the bigger the light the bigger the shadow?