Ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recieved an interview letter from UCSF today! Omg, waiting for this letter was the most scariest thing in my life! I was convinced I was going to recieve a rejection letter because it's so late in the month. So good luck to everyone! They're still sending interviews out!

My interview is on Feb 9. It says on the letter that they sent it on January 3, 2006. I live in South California, an hour away from San Diego if that helps anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

fidelio said:
I recieved an acceptance letter from UCSF today! Omg, waiting for this letter was the most scariest thing in my life! I was convinced I was going to recieve a rejection letter because it's so late in the month. So good luck to everyone! They're still sending interviews out!

My interview is on Feb 9. It says on the letter that they sent it on January 3, 2006. I live in South California, an hour away from San Diego if that helps anyone.

You already received an acceptance? Congrats!

FutureRxGal said:
You already received an acceptance? Congrats!

I don't mean acceptance letter. I meant acceptance for interview. Haha. Yea. Sorry about that. I guess I was just overly excited about getting an interview. I need to stop and pay attention to my sentences.

Anyway, I'm only halfway there. I'm so worried.

Plus I don't think they send out acceptance letters until April or May.

Members don't see this ad :)
nghs2002 said:
guess what? it's friday and in the mailbox..NOTHING!! Holy crap!! The wait is ridiculous now..maybe I'm just being paranoid and freaking out but to those who are still waiting...you know the feeling, right? UCSF told me that they sent my letter out on the 2nd. and considering the post office was closed on the 2nd...that means jan. 3rd is when the mail should start to send out, right? so estimating that they sent it out (hopefully 1st class--it'll take 2 or 3 days..) which means today..the 6th, i should have gotten a letter by now at the latest, invite or no invite..i just want to know where I stand.

and to blizz, i'm from the rocky mountain state so no excuses to CA 'cause I'm not THAT far away. and yes, the lady on the phone was very nice to me when i spoke to her. just make sure you don't sound like ur going crazy waiting for the mail. another reason i decided to call was that i was afraid that my letter might have been lost in the mail..yikes!!

I got mine last Thursday and it was dated for last Thursday's date, 1/5/06. You should be getting yours soon! Where are you located? I am in the San Diego area so it is possible that if our letters went out the same time and you are out of state then you should be getting it today or tomorrow. I wish you the best!! And I really want you to get an interview!! You made me feel I wasn't alone out there waiting for a letter!

fidelio said:
I don't mean acceptance letter. I meant acceptance for interview. Haha. Yea. Sorry about that. I guess I was just overly excited about getting an interview. I need to stop and pay attention to my sentences.

Anyway, I'm only halfway there. I'm so worried.

Plus I don't think they send out acceptance letters until April or May.

That's okay. Congrats on getting an interview! :)

Oh my gosh!! I'm freaking out. I am currently out of town so today, I figured that I would try my luck and call UCSF to see if they would fax my letter to my hotel room. I just wanted to get closure and see if I got the interview or not. ANYWAYS, remember that I told you guys that I talked to a lady on the phone and she told me that my letter was mailed out on Jan. 2nd. Well it turns out that from a lady that I talked to on the phone today, she said that my application is UNREVIEWED. I was like, "what the heck??" I thought it should have been reviewed by now. I also thought that UCSF was done reviewing applications!! Why is my application not even touched yet? So I told the lady on the phone that I spoke to an admissions person at UCSF the other week and she said that my letter was mailed out Jan. 2nd and on the phone, she was like "well, your status on our computer screen says that it's still UNREVIEWED." What the freak is going on now??? Being UNREVIEWED is worse than being rejected..oh my gosh, now I really want to get this over with!! shheessh! :mad: :scared: :( ...they are my 3 current emotions.

nghs2002 said:
Oh my gosh!! I'm freaking out. I am currently out of town so today, I figured that I would try my luck and call UCSF to see if they would fax my letter to my hotel room. I just wanted to get closure and see if I got the interview or not. ANYWAYS, remember that I told you guys that I talked to a lady on the phone and she told me that my letter was mailed out on Jan. 2nd. Well it turns out that from a lady that I talked to on the phone today, she said that my application is UNREVIEWED. I was like, "what the heck??" I thought it should have been reviewed by now. I also thought that UCSF was done reviewing applications!! Why is my application not even touched yet? So I told the lady on the phone that I spoke to an admissions person at UCSF the other week and she said that my letter was mailed out Jan. 2nd and on the phone, she was like "well, your status on our computer screen says that it's still UNREVIEWED." What the freak is going on now??? Being UNREVIEWED is worse than being rejected..oh my gosh, now I really want to get this over with!! shheessh! :mad: :scared: :( ...they are my 3 current emotions.

Man, I can't believe that!! I'm lead to believe that's what is happening to me too. I called on Monday morning and the lady who I spoke to said that they would be send out a letter that day. But since you got conflicting responses, who knows. I think you should contact Stacy Smit or James Betbeze instead of calling the main number, maybe they might give you clarification. I might call again at the end of the week if I still don't get anything.

nghs2002 said:
shheessh! :mad: :scared: :( ...they are my 3 current emotions.

That is depressing. :confused: Did you ask the lady what would happen now? Yea, I agree with Blizz. Talk to someone else and give them a handful.

fidelio said:
That is depressing. :confused: Did you ask the lady what would happen now? Yea, I agree with Blizz. Talk to someone else and give them a handful.

Ok, so here is another story. I called UCSF today and a different lady picked up (in fact, I think it was the same lady that told me that my letter was mailed Jan. 2nd). I decided to play "dumb" and ask the lady if a letter was mailed to my home address. She said YES and that it was mailed on Jan. 2nd. And then I told her that I talked to someone different on the phone Monday and she told me that my application was UNREVIEWED and the lady on the phone told me "uhm..I dunno where you got that information but it says on the screen that your letter was mailed on Jan. 2nd. That information seems pretty ambiguous to me." Oh my gosh, could UCSF reject me already so I can move on w/ my life? Luckily, I got the lady's name this time (the one who told me that my letter was mailed Jan. 2nd). So, we'll see how it goes. I don't even knonw what kind of emotion I have anymore.

nghs2002 said:
Ok, so here is another story. I called UCSF today and a different lady picked up (in fact, I think it was the same lady that told me that my letter was mailed Jan. 2nd). I decided to play "dumb" and ask the lady if a letter was mailed to my home address. She said YES and that it was mailed on Jan. 2nd. And then I told her that I talked to someone different on the phone Monday and she told me that my application was UNREVIEWED and the lady on the phone told me "uhm..I dunno where you got that information but it says on the screen that your letter was mailed on Jan. 2nd. That information seems pretty ambiguous to me." Oh my gosh, could UCSF reject me already so I can move on w/ my life? Luckily, I got the lady's name this time (the one who told me that my letter was mailed Jan. 2nd). So, we'll see how it goes. I don't even knonw what kind of emotion I have anymore.

I have some good news for those who are waiting for something. I emailed Stacy Smit and I asked her about interview letters and she said they still are mailing them out. The last batch will be sent out this Friday. So we will know for sure that we should be hearing something within the next 1-2 weeks.

I got emails this week from UCSD & UCSF this week kicking me in the ass. They mailed my interview invitation in late December and are wondering why I haven't accepted and should they cancel my app? I was afraid this was gonna happen because I left school (in PA) Dec 19th and had a feeling they would mail it to my school address instead of my home address. I wrote the wrong date on my PharmCAS application but I edited it (kinda late) and PharmCAS was suppose to mail the changes to them. Of course, I emailed them back saying that I am very interested. Both told me I had til the 13th of Jan to accept and I am so glad I checked my email!

My UCSD interview is scheduled for the 21st of Jan so I get to go back to school late (YAY). They ended up emailing the letter to me as email attachments (they're so nice). I'm waiting for UCSF to email the date as well. I am very happy I made it thus far-- the fact that both schools invited me is very assuring but I dont wanna get my hopes up. Both of these schools are ideal to me- on a scale of 1-10 UCSF is 10 and UCSD is 9.9. Best of luck to all.

nghs2002 said:

Well, if it's mailed on Jan 2, and and it's already the 12th of Jan, aren't they suppose to fax your letter if you haven't recieve it?

Does anyone know if UCSF interview dates are random or if the people who got the last round of interivews during mid Feburary pretty much don't have chance compared to those who gets their interviews in mid January? Is it set up like those who have a higher chance of getting in (EX: A very high GPA) get an earlier interview date and those who are on the bottom of the list gets the later interview date?
Also, how much is the interview worth?

Members don't see this ad :)
DC1120 said:
Does anyone know if UCSF interview dates are random or if the people who got the last round of interivews during mid Feburary pretty much don't have chance compared to those who gets their interviews in mid January? Is it set up like those who have a higher chance of getting in (EX: A very high GPA) get an earlier interview date and those who are on the bottom of the list gets the later interview date?

i'm not positive, but i tihnk interview dates has something to do with your location. they give more time for people who are out of state, etc. or maybe they do it by when they look at your app. i really don't think it matters if your interview is later or earlier.
the interview counts for a lot. i think its probably about half of what they look at. i tihnk once you go into your interview, everyone is almost on a even playing field and you make it or break it. good luck.

tom

DC1120 said:

I don't think so. I think it's completely random. I'm in the last round of interviews but I live in Ca an hour away from San Diego. My GPA is the average GPA, 3.6. So if anything, I should have been somewhere in the middle, but I'm not. But yea, does anyone know how much the interview is worth?

Interview dates have been in the past based on location.
One day for out of stater's one for S. Cal, one for N. Cal, one for S.D. central valley, etc.

I'm not exactly sure as to how much the interview is "worth". But the impression I have always got was that once you have reached the interview stage, all things are equal among applicants. UCSF interviews I believe 250 for 122 spots, and they also have a waiting list, that for the last 2 years has gone pretty deep into the list. So basically you have a one in two chance of getting in once you have gotten an interview. So... go and kick ass!! Can't wait to meet you all.

(my advice are opinions of my own and not the opinions of the OSACA staff or the actually UCSF school of pharmacy)

hi guys,
i was just wondering if anyone knew how much we should know about current events ? I guess I dont really know how to "study" for the interview besides looking over my application. Any advice on how to prepare for it would be much appreciated. THanks!

nghs2002, did you hear anything yet? i didn't get anything in the mail today, i'm starting to forget that i'm actually waiting for something.

For those who have experiences with interviewing at UCSF, how much current issues do we need to know about? Are they going to ask us a specific topic that we might not know about or just something broad and ask us if we know any current issues that we like to share? Also, how difficult is the writing portion?
Also, how long do people usually practice for their interviews? I read from another thread that there was this person that practiced for two months!

Thanks

DC1120 said:
For those who have experiences with interviewing at UCSF, how much current issues do we need to know about? Are they going to ask us a specific topic that we might not know about or just something broad and ask us if we know any current issues that we like to share? Also, how difficult is the writing portion?
Also, how long do people usually practice for their interviews? I read from another thread that there was this person that practiced for two months!

Thanks

Ya know, I don't recall a specific question about current events. How one discusses the overall profession or speaks to their aspirations can lead to these type of discussions. I wouldn't expect a question, but you may want to use current events to maybe explain what you think of pharmacy, why you want to be a pharmacist, so insert some of this knowledge through your experience, As far as I know, each faculty member could have their own style. This coems into play when the student interviewing has gotten past all the give away questions and you start to converse. The questions I was asked tended to be specific to my application. My sister has a disability, a rare chromosomal disorder, and my faculty member actually looked it up so he knew something about it. I was quite taken aback after interviews at both U of Arizona and UCSD were not as in depth. Basically, i would know why you want to be a pharmacist, ask yourself what you bring to the profession, the school, how have you prepared, why are you certain of this decision, what has been the most difficult thing to happen to you and how did you overcome it, what pathway you may want to take here at UCSF, and what area of pharmacy do you think you would like to be in. I wrote up all the answers to these questions and read over them. I printed out all sorts of info on the university, knew their accomplishments, about the program, where I saw myself fitting in, and what makes me special compared to all the other qualified applicants. This seemed to have worked well.

The essay was a bit more abstract than what I expected. It had three options, you were given only a large box (about a page) in which you are allowed to write (so it's not very long), and about an hour for the essay. It had some pharmacy issue but it wasn't a current event. It had something to do with technology in science or something. It had another which had something to do with linking a childhood story or mythological story to your life, and the last, was a quote and asked to speak about what you thought it meant. It was different from UCSD (which historically is pretty laid back, where would you take a friend visiting to your home) and U of Arizona (which was pretty hardcore).

As far as practice. I had the fortune of practicing at two other interviews before UCSF! So that was some pretty good practice. Two months prep is absolutely insane; but be thinking about what you may want to say. That reminds me of my fellow classmates, they would do something like that! I practiced about a week and a half, had my notes done about 2 weeks before.

Hope that helps.

since oneday_9 helped me out so much with my interview, i'll shar my experiences also.

basically, i thought my interview pretty much sucked. they give about 45 minutes per interview and mine lasted only 25. i basically thought they knew i wasn't qualified and decided to cut it short. but i guess i was wrong because i was accepted.

anyhow, here are some tips:

1) think before you speak. do not just give an answer immediately after the question is asked. think about the whole question and what you're going to say and how you're going to say it. i learned my lesson when they asked me the most off the wall question: "describe a time when you used a creative solution after you made a decision as a leader and other people disagreed." ok. so i immediately went into this class i coordinated at college and was talking about how a lot of people disagreed with a lot of my decisions. but i totally forgot the first part of the question and had to ask what the question was again. that was really embarassing. if you don't understand the question, ask them to repeat it before answering it. pause a little, think about the question, and then answer.

2) practice with friends. don't memorize what you're going to say word for word, but memorize important points you want to convey with the important questions. why pharmacy, why ucsf, etc etc. practice with friends and be sure to choose someone who will be critical.

3) know your application. it doesn't look good when they ask you something about your application and you don't know what they're talking about.

4) know about the program, know about current events, and know about your goals. you have to convey why ucsf is the school for you and its better to know what ucsf has that other schools don't. the current events questions never came across in my interview but if you get asked or work current events into an answer, it shows that you're actually interested in pharmacy. and know what you want to do with pharmacy. if you're not sure, then be honest. but it'll help if you had goals.

5) make sure each answer is personal to you. there are some questions that you have to give a generic answer but its not so generic if you put in a personal experience or something you're really passionate about.

6) be prepared to be tested about your passion for pharmacy. i was bombarded left and right about why i didn't choose other professions besides pharmacy. i was a double major in econ and bio and focused a lot of my extracurriculars on public health. i was asked three times: why not medicine, why not economics, and why not public health. and if they ask you questions like this, also put in how you other interests can help you in the field of pharamcy.

7) come prepared with questions to ask the interviewers. it shows that you have interest in the school and want to learn more.

8) DO NOT wear crazy socks to your interview. my stupid self thought there would be a desk between me and the interviewers and decided to wear these wild socks. my shirt and tie combo were both patterened so basically, it was pattern oerload. it was really embarassing sitting in front of a dean with those socks. i actually caught the student interviewer looking at my socks at the beginning of the interview.

good luck everyone. don't stress. hope to see you guys in the fall.

tom

TomRocks' post is very accurate and thorough. Be urself. Answer honestly. Have confidence. You've made it this far...your chances are very good!

yea, player0917 is rite. just be confident and know what you put on your app well. good luck and i'll see some of you this thursday!

see you guys tomorrow at the interview! good luck!!!

good luck, everyone!

I got an interview for UCSF! Feb 4th, I'm so excited!! :) Good luck everyone!

blizz said:
I got an interview for UCSF! Feb 4th, I'm so excited!! :) Good luck everyone!

Yay!

Hey how was everyone's interview?

blizz said:
Hey how was everyone's interview?

Mine was mediocre. Do you know when they'll send out rejection/acceptance letters by any chance?

fidelio said:
Mine was mediocre. Do you know when they'll send out rejection/acceptance letters by any chance?

They told me mid March-April.

I interviewed on Jan 27 and the interviewers were very nice to me. I don't remember being asked any scenario, but mainly talked about my background, my motivations and aspirations as a future pharmacist. The interview was just flowing smoothly and they reacted positively to my answers (always smiling, nodding with their heads and even putting a sad face when I was talking about my hardships :p). Overall, it was a good experience but it's hard to tell if I did well because I assume they are nice to all applicants.
Now... the wait...

i had my interview on the 4th. it went relatively smooth, but i think my answers sucked A**. I felt like i was too scripted. For those how still haven't attended their interviews, be yourself and DON'T memorize what you're going to say. just know the key points to mention. I talked to this one guy who had an interview last year, and after they rejected him, he called and asked why. They told him he sounded to scripted and nervous. so...DON'T APPEAR to look nervous. They are pretty friendly. I don't remember any scenario questions, most of the questions were taken from my file. What they have posted on their website about only have your background essays...bull....they have you're entire file. So know everything and be prepared to answer any questions pertain to everything you put on there. Also, why pharm...they will definitely ask you this. I've only had 2 interviews so far, and they both ask me... Good luck to everyone...hopefully march will bring luck to us...just remember..50/50 chance of getting in!

hiya, if you had a feb 4th interview, lost your packet before the tour, your first name starts with a "Q", and kicked it with a short hair girl while waiting for your ride...email me or reply. Sorry, I forgot to ask for your contact info before I left.

Hi everyone, anyone who got interviews for ucsf felt like they could've done a lot better or felt less confident after the interview, in both the essay part and the interview?

DC1120 said:
Hi everyone, anyone who got interviews for ucsf felt like they could've done a lot better or felt less confident after the interview, in both the essay part and the interview?

Right here! I was super nervous (I bet they took points off for that). :eek: ARGH. But think about it this way... at THAT moment in time, you did your best!

DC1120 said:

YES. It sucked... A**
Especially my essay. It was so choppy and short.

swtSDgrl said:
hiya, if you had a feb 4th interview, lost your packet before the tour, your first name starts with a "Q", and kicked it with a short hair girl while waiting for your ride...email me or reply. Sorry, I forgot to ask for your contact info before I left.

LOL omg!! heyyy!! its MEE, how are ya girl??? haha i thought u only read on sdn and didnt have a sn... anyways, hit me up, i cant wait to hear how you're doing and how your other interviews went! :)

Im still waiting for an acceptance/rejection letter, at this time, should i fill out FAFSA and put down UCSF? I filled FAFSA for USC, but I don't know if I have to fill one out for UCSF, for those who are in the same situation, let me know what you did in terms of your financial aid. Thanks!

yeh i would indicate all the schools that you applied to.. can't hurt! ucsf does require a fafsa too if you want any aid... at least that's what i did

jky007 said:
yeh i would indicate all the schools that you applied to.. can't hurt! ucsf does require a fafsa too if you want any aid... at least that's what i did

Yeah, I did the same thing. I put down all the schools that I applied to, all of which are possible schools that I may be attending next fall.