Ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaminofpharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my supp app for UCSF and having some trouble. Can anyone help me out? The Candidate's Statement asks you to discuss the personal charactersitics that make you stand out as an individual. "Instead of specifically describing skills or accomplishments," ot should reflect who you are and what is meaningful to you.

I'm totally lost in terms of trying to find where to even begin this essay. How can I address what's special about me without specifically addressing my skills or accomplishments. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I can cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets. I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four-course meals using only a Mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prize-winning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to pharmacy school.

anyone with suggestions that will actually help me to write my essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Zpack's post was funny. :)

What do you value? What is it, in your opinion, that makes you stand out as a person? Think about how screwed up the world is and identify what it is that differentiates you from the dysfunction.

There's no wrong answer to that question. They just want to see that you can give thought to things like that. It's one of the marks of a professional.

ehhh.. they are asking for not what you did but what you value in your life..

It's not.. I played golf and shot 75 today...rather being out on the golf course walking on freshly mowed grass inspires me.

it's not... I took a biochem exam and got a 96...rather learning about the biochemical process in human which will allow me to further learn and contribute to humanity is my purpose in life...

it's not... I volunteered at a pharmacy...rather watching a pharmacist interact and helping patients reaffirmed my desire to become a pharmacist...

get it???

ehhh.. they are asking for not what you did but what you value in your life..

It's not.. I played golf and shot 75 today...rather being out on the golf course walking on freshly mowed grass inspires me.

it's not... I took a biochem exam and got a 96...rather learning about the biochemical process in human which will allow me to further learn and contribute to humanity is my purpose in life...

it's not... I volunteered at a pharmacy...rather watching a pharmacist interact and helping patients reaffirmed my desire to become a pharmacist...

get it???

I personally liked your first post better! :thumbup:

anyone with suggestions that will actually help me to write my essay?

Did you get what Zpack was trying to tell you???? Say so if not....

He can get obtuse (that whole wooing women with trombones & orgasms.....,oooops - origami!)

But..did you understand what he was trying to get across to you?

They want to know who you are & what motivates you - the WHY of who & what you are - not the what have you accomplished. The potential is greater than the past.....

you can pm me if you have questions....

I didn't say orgasm... you did...

LOL...

Wonder why you misread....

that essay did get the writer into medical school i heard (it was written for med, not pharm).

No...that essay was for NYU Undergrad. The author got in...

Zpacks essay? Did he plagerize it?

I can't believe you didn't give proper citations!!!!!

Zpacks essay? Did he plagerize it?

I can't believe you didn't give proper citations!!!!!

That essay is an urban legend...it's been circulating online for over 10 years...
You can't be serious... you've never read that before???

Google Outlaw in Peru... or Expert in Stucco.

No...that essay was for NYU Undergrad. The author got in...
whoops, my bad. the first time i read the essay, it was linked to a med student's blog, so i assumed. thanks for the clarification! =)

That essay is an urban legend...it's been circulating online for over 10 years...
You can't be serious... you've never read that before???

Google Outlaw in Peru... or Expert in Stucco.

sorry - I've been busy the last 10 years or so...and here you had me thinking you could play the trombone & do origami.

Man - am I disappointed now!

sorry - I've been busy the last 10 years or so...and here you had me thinking you could play the trombone & do origami.

Man - am I disappointed now!

I can actually woo women and some men with my piano and guitar (not at the same time) playing...and can fold mean origami.