Ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jun99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all the interviews for UCSF are over?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people on the forums said they have one this Thursday, 2/15. That sounds like the last one though.

yea 2/15 is the last one. after that, they'll make decisions to be sent out late march.

Members don't see this ad :)
so nervous....:eek:

Anyone, what should I ask to the interviewer for UCSF? I have interview tomorrow. I have been searching throught their website. Anyone can help? Please.

Anyone, what should I ask to the interviewer for UCSF? I have interview tomorrow. I have been searching throught their website. Anyone can help? Please.

what i did was ask about the curriculum. ask the interviewers what their curriculums were and why they chose that? and htings like that. it doesn't have to be "formal" questions. we talked about basketball and how UCSF dental schools have better ballers than the pharmacy schools. it's anything you want.

Someone in another forum posted that they already got an acceptance to UCSF, dated Feb 13.....how weird that they would start sending them out before the last interview even took place (I thought schools without rolling admissions didn't do that?)

Someone in another forum posted that they already got an acceptance to UCSF, dated Feb 13.....how weird that they would start sending them out before the last interview even took place (I thought schools without rolling admissions didn't do that?)

that's around 3 weeks from 1/26. maybe he really impressed them. maybe looking at his paper app, they already wanted him and his interview just made sure of that.

again, when people say interviews you start out fresh. i don't believe that. they know if they want u or not w/ your paper apps, the interview just confirms that or not. if it does, you're in. and maybe he was a tremendous applicant. and we're all jealous :laugh:

I agree in that they already have an idea of which candidates are stronger than others on paper. The interview will probably either: 1) confirm and exceed expectations of a strong applicant (making it easy to admit them without having to look at the pool), 2) surprise the committee because a less-strong applicant on paper is fantastic in person, 3) reveal that someone in person is not as great as they are on paper, or 4) just tell you that the person is normal, a good person, yet nothing that stands out.

In these cases, I think it's easy to admit #1 (which the person who got admitted probably is), with #2 and #4's falling right behind. At first, I thought final admission decisions were from scratch and only based on interviews, but I think they look at the total package and what you have to offer based on both impressions they got (in-person and on-paper).

I agree in that they already have an idea of which candidates are stronger than others on paper. The interview will probably either: 1) confirm and exceed expectations of a strong applicant (making it easy to admit them without having to look at the pool), 2) surprise the committee because a less-strong applicant on paper is fantastic in person, 3) reveal that someone in person is not as great as they are on paper, or 4) just tell you that the person is normal, a good person, yet nothing that stands out.

In these cases, I think it's easy to admit #1 (which the person who got admitted probably is), with #2 following close behind. #4's are probably those who fall right behind this. At first, I thought final admission decisions were from scratch and only based on interviews, but I think they look at the total package and what you have to offer based on both impressions they got (in-person and on-paper).

yea. b/c many people will have at least good interviews, w/ a few extremely phenomenal while a few really bad. so that's where the paper apps come in.

now they relook at your file and see your GPA, ECs, experience, workload, letters, now add communication from interviews and make the final decisions.

so you're right.

i just don't agree w/ interviews give u a "fresh start"

I forgot to add, I remember I talked to someone a while back who got admitted to UCSF. If I remember correctly, he was previously waitlisted/rejected (I don't remember, but if he was waitlisted, he didn't make the cut) and asked the office about his application. I think the reason they gave him for not getting accepted was the lack of pharmacy experience or extracurriculars. He probably was a great communicator, wrote a decent essay with proper grammar, but in the end it was his experience. Moral of the story? They do look at everything. You would think they wouldn't have even given him an interview if he lacked the experience because that is something they could find on paper, but it probably came down to others who performed just as well and had a summer stint at a local pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to add, I remember I talked to someone a while back who got admitted to UCSF. If I remember correctly, he was previously waitlisted/rejected (I don't remember, but if he was waitlisted, he didn't make the cut) and asked the office about his application. I think the reason they gave him for not getting accepted was the lack of pharmacy experience or extracurriculars. He probably was a great communicator, wrote a decent essay with proper grammar, but in the end it was his experience. Moral of the story? They do look at everything. You would think they wouldn't have even given him an interview if he lacked the experience because that is something they could find on paper, but it probably came down to others who performed just as well and had a summer stint at a local pharmacy.

i think the reason they gave him an interview was besides his experience and ECs, he had something different from the rest, most likely his GPA or courseload...

b/c when i went into my interview, the interviewer did have my grades and everything so they know what kind of student you are.

but man, i'm so nervous. 3 weeks from my interview date is early march.

but man, the guy who got accepted should tell us something about him. he must have been tremendous.

i think the reason they gave him an interview was besides his experience and ECs, he had something different from the rest, most likely his GPA or courseload...

b/c when i went into my interview, the interviewer did have my grades and everything so they know what kind of student you are.

but man, the guy who got accepted should tell us something about him. he must have been tremendous.

Actually, James Betbeze told us that the only thing the interviewers would have during the interview is the biographical info, supplemental essays and pharmcas essay. He specifically said they will not have your grades. This is understandable and applies for most interviews bc having grades prior to interviewing can create some sort of bias. The purpose of interviews are to get to know the person outside of academics because these are things that cannot be assessed through paper alone. After the interview they would go back and review everything, including grades, as a whole.

Or maybe the GIRL who got accepted should tell us something about HER. SHE must have been tremendous...:D

Actually, James Betbeze told us that the only thing the interviewers would have during the interview is the biographical info, supplemental essays and pharmcas essay. He specifically said they will not have your grades. This is understandable and applies for most interviews bc having grades prior to interviewing can create some sort of bias. The purpose of interviews are to get to know the person outside of academics because these are things that cannot be assessed through paper alone. After the interview they would go back and review everything, including grades, as a whole.

i said that b/c my interviewer started out saying something like you're good academically already. so that's why i said that. or maybe he says that b/c all interviewees had good grades so that's why they were invited.

Or maybe the GIRL who got accepted should tell us something about HER. SHE must have been tremendous...:D

LOL, of course :laugh: And here's a BIG congratulation on such an important accomplishment!!!

It's funny because we can only guess what gender someone is (unless it's obvious by the screenname or something). Although I was surprised someone thought I was a guy because I wouldn't think a guy would have "bee" in their sn. But ANYWAYS, congrats Zwigglez, you go GIRL ;)

Thanks!! I'm still worried it's a mistake :D I think I'll feel better when I hear that someone else has received a letter too...

Thanks!! I'm still worried it's a mistake :D I think I'll feel better when I hear that someone else has received a letter too...

lol. but yea, maybe you're the BEST applicant. i hope you would enlighten us w/ your credentials.

Honestly, nothing too spectacular:

B.S. Physiology from SFSU (I did a lot of my pre-reqs at a CC...)
GPA: 3.76
no PCAT
3 years research, 1 year pharmacy volunteer

I feel like I had a very strong supplemental app, I worked my tail off on it all through Sept/Oct. And my interview went smoothly as well, my faculty member was totally chill and it was very conversational. I guess a lot of it is luck :luck: I'm just so grateful, it has been a spectacular V-day!

Honestly, nothing too spectacular:

B.S. Physiology from SFSU (I did a lot of my pre-reqs at a CC...)
GPA: 3.76
no PCAT
3 years research, 1 year pharmacy volunteer

I feel like I had a very strong supplemental app, I worked my tail off on it all through Sept/Oct. And my interview went smoothly as well, my faculty member was totally chill and it was very conversational. I guess a lot of it is luck :luck: I'm just so grateful, it has been a spectacular V-day!

do u have a bf? did this beat his present? :laugh:

I think I posted in another thread - congratulations!

I got my acceptance to UCSF on Valentine's Day a long, long time ago & its one I'll never forget.

For those waiting to be interviewed....just a tip: be ready to think about what YOU can offer the profession. UCSF has a long tradition of leadership within the profession. Altho there are those who just complacently go to a job & lick & stick.....many of us go to our jobs - in all facets of pharmacy & become involved beyond the licking & sticking.

What have you demonstrated...or what can you postulate in your essay that you might be able or might want to accomplish if you're given one of the greatest educational offers within the field?

Good luck & congrats again!