UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, with your stats and volunteer work, I would guess you will hear by end of April at the latest, and I wouldn't be surprised if you hear by end of March...and I should know:idea::xf:

Anyway, I forgot to mention...is one of your recommendations from a pharmacist? I think that is a big help too. I am assuming that if you volunteered in a pharmacy, that you got a pharmacist to write you a recommendation. But, it sounds like your volunteer experience wasn't so helpful.

Actually, I never really got to work with a pharmacist so I just one from my Volunteer Supervisor and my Organic Chem professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry! In addition to the two years of pediatrics experience:

breakdown: verbal- 73
biology- 94
chemistry - 85
reading comp - 77
quanitative - 94
COMPOSITE: 91

GPA: science: 3.54
math: 4.00
overall: 3.69

and i submitted my supplemental january 31st, bc i was so busy studying for the jan pcat

I don't think its hugely important that you have pharmacy experience..or even a lot of volunteer experience. It can't hurt to have it, but it isn't required.

I never had any pharmacy experience, and during college I had a job that took up a majority of my free time, which meant I had little time to volunteer.

From what the advisor told me when I was applying last year, they mainly tend to look at how you balance your time. If you've been working and still maintaining good grades and competitive PCAT scores, which by the looks of it you have, you should be perfectly fine.

I don't think its hugely important that you have pharmacy experience..or even a lot of volunteer experience. It can't hurt to have it, but it isn't required.

I never had any pharmacy experience, and during college I had a job that took up a majority of my free time, which meant I had little time to volunteer.

From what the advisor told me when I was applying last year, they mainly tend to look at how you balance your time. If you've been working and still maintaining good grades and competitive PCAT scores, which by the looks of it you have, you should be perfectly fine.

That's a relief to hear! I guess now it's just a waiting game! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
How important is it to have pharmacy experience? Is healthcare experience okay instead? I've been working with a pediatrician for two years, but I have my reasons as to why it led me to pharmacy explained in my personal statement. I'm just getting worried..:(

Some may disagree with me, but I would say that your stats are just as important as having pharmacy experience for some schools, while other schools may not put as much weight on your pharmacy experience. So it boils down to which schools you are applying to. IMO, as long as you explain in your PS specifically why your healthcare experience led you to pursue a career in pharmacy, then I think you will be fine (putting stats aside).

Some may disagree with me, but I would say that your stats are just as important as having pharmacy experience for some schools, while other schools may not put as much weight on your pharmacy experience. So it boils down to which schools you are applying to. IMO, as long as you explain in your PS specifically why your healthcare experience led you to pursue a career in pharmacy, then I think you will be fine (putting stats aside).

I definitely think some schools weigh more heavily on health care/pharmacy experience. Of course all schools are going to prefer high stats and pharmacy experience such as volunteering, or an actual job as a tech, but I definitely think for some schools it matters a lot. Nova seems to really weigh experience heavily when considering applicants. I know a few people, some of them personally since I live down here, who have a ton of experience as a tech or volunteering, etc and they were accepted to Nova over students with what most would consider pretty high stats who had no experience at all. I think even if you have a little it's okay, but if you don't have any then it is harder to get into a school like Nova. I don't really know about UF since I don't know many people who went there recently, but it seems like the supplemental asked a lot of questions about volunteering, community service, and then it asked specific pharmacy related questions, so basically it seems like they can sift out who has an extensive knowledge of the career and who may not be as familiar with it.

For those of you who have an interview tomorrow at the Orlando Campus, good luck :)

I and other current students will be there to answer any questions you have before and after your interviews.

Remember - just relax...it's a pretty short interview. Advice given to me for my interview was "tell the truth." Some of the questions may seem pretty dumb, but don't try to make up answers. Just be yourself. Be honest. And you'll do perfectly fine.

For those of you who have an interview tomorrow at the Orlando Campus, good luck :)

I and other current students will be there to answer any questions you have before and after your interviews.

Remember - just relax...it's a pretty short interview. Advice given to me for my interview was "tell the truth." Some of the questions may seem pretty dumb, but don't try to make up answers. Just be yourself. Be honest. And you'll do perfectly fine.

Thanks for the advice! I look forward to the interview tomorrow. I think the anticipation has lead to a great deal of nerves, but tomorrow the wait is over! :xf:

For all those still waiting for interviews at the St. Petersburg campus.....I just found out today I have an interview for the April 12th slot. Yay! Good luck to everybody......

I just got my invite for the Gainesville campus!! :) IM SO EXCITED!! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on the invites! The only advice I wish I had before the interview would be to RELAX.. the interview is pretty chill.

I was notified on Friday, 3/19/2010 that I have an interview at the Orlando campus on 4/9/2010.

For those that haven't gotten interviews yet, the committee meets twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but the e-mails offering interviews have been sent on Fridays and Mondays that I know of (from reading all 8 pages of this forum.) I can't say for sure if interview invitations may go out on Mon, Tues, or Wed or not. I got my e-mail at 4 pm, which is several hours after the first person got their e-mail today.

If you haven't heard yet, don't fret. Interviews continue until June 4th. As time passes, UF starts considering people with lower and lower PCAT composites and GPA's until the classes fill up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was notified on Friday, 3/19/2010 that I have an interview at the Orlando campus on 4/9/2010.

For those that haven't gotten interviews yet, the committee meets twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but the e-mails offering interviews have been sent on Fridays and Mondays that I know of (from reading all 8 pages of this forum.) I can't say for sure if interview invitations may go out on Mon, Tues, or Wed or not. I got my e-mail at 4 pm, which is several hours after the first person got their e-mail today.

If you haven't heard yet, don't fret. Interviews continue until June 4th. As time passes, UF starts considering people with lower and lower PCAT composites and GPA's until the classes fill up.

I must have been confused. The first person to post that they got an e-mail offering them an interview was after 4 pm on 3/19/2010.

I am trying to find a pattern so people don't have to check their e-mail every ten minutes of every weekday like I did. I can tell you that the lady who sends the e-mails ends her workday at 4:30 pm, so at least you don't have to check your e-mail after 4:30 pm or on weekends.

Best of luck to everyone. One final thought, if your GPA was good enough and your PCAT scores were low...worst case, if you don't get in this year, you can retake the PCAT and improve your scores. The Dr. Collins review class is PHENOMINAL!!! Best $515 I ever spent. It meets on four Saturdays from 8 am - 4 pm in south FL. I drove from central Florida on Friday evening and spent the night at a friend's house, then went to the class, then came home. I probably spent $300 on gas...but in the long term, it is a small price to pay.

http://www.pcatprepclass.com/index.html

If you can't go to the classes, he sells a self study guide for $325 with all of the material. It is geared exclusively to the PCAT and more importantly than just telling you what to study, it tells you what you don't need to study, so you know where to focus your efforts.

I must have been confused. The first person to post that they got an e-mail offering them an interview was after 4 pm on 3/19/2010.

I am trying to find a pattern so people don't have to check their e-mail every ten minutes of every weekday like I did. I can tell you that the lady who sends the e-mails ends her workday at 4:30 pm, so at least you don't have to check your e-mail after 4:30 pm or on weekends.

Best of luck to everyone. One final thought, if your GPA was good enough and your PCAT scores were low...worst case, if you don't get in this year, you can retake the PCAT and improve your scores. The Dr. Collins review class is PHENOMINAL!!! Best $515 I ever spent. It meets on four Saturdays from 8 am - 4 pm in south FL. I drove from central Florida on Friday evening and spent the night at a friend's house, then went to the class, then came home. I probably spent $300 on gas...but in the long term, it is a small price to pay.

http://www.pcatprepclass.com/index.html

If you can't go to the classes, he sells a self study guide for $325 with all of the material. It is geared exclusively to the PCAT and more importantly than just telling you what to study, it tells you what you don't need to study, so you know where to focus your efforts.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Unfortunately, I was unable to make the live classes but I purchased the study guide and let me tell you... that thing did WONDERS! I only studied for 2 weeks and scored in the 82nd percentile. I know its not great, but it's in the competitive range and pretty darn good for only studying for 2 weeks if you ask me!! I would've done much better had I taken a different study approach in the sense that I never actually sat down and took a mock exam, section-by-section, for 3.5 or so hours (Not to mention I got a 24 in RC, which absolutely killed my composite :(). I just nailed each section in my head until I knew how to do all of his practice exams frontwards and back, inside and out. So, if you are looking to re-take the PCAT or are taking it for the first time, Dr. Collin's study guide is by far the best source of PCAT preparation on the market (IMO).

Thanks for the advice! I look forward to the interview tomorrow. I think the anticipation has lead to a great deal of nerves, but tomorrow the wait is over! :xf:

How'd it go?? My interview is on Monday and the anticipation is killing me.

How'd it go?? My interview is on Monday and the anticipation is killing me.

It was quick and painless...mostly ;).

It is so funny, I compared it to planning a wedding...you prepare for days. weeks, months for this one moment and it is over in the blink of an eye, almost before you even know what is going on!

Good Luck Monday!:luck: You will do great!

For all those still waiting for interviews at the St. Petersburg campus.....I just found out today I have an interview for the April 12th slot. Yay! Good luck to everybody......

Hi, I'm waiting for a response from the ST. Pete campus too. Would you mind to share you statistics? I have 3.9 GPA and a 71 on Jan. PCAT, but I"ve heard anything from them yet.

Hi, I'm waiting for a response from the ST. Pete campus too. Would you mind to share you statistics? I have 3.9 GPA and a 71 on Jan. PCAT, but I"ve heard anything from them yet.[/I]

I am an unusual applicant. I have been a college professor for the past 7 years and decided that I didn't enjoy it anymore. I needed to make changes, so I am switching to pharmacy.

My graduate gpa was 3.5 (Organic Chemistry, Ph.D.)
My undergraduate gpa was 3.0 (Chemical Engineering, B.S.)

PCAT: 97th percentile (mainly because of the chemistry section).

Hope that helps!

For those that are still waiting for an interview, I e-mailed Penny to see why some of haven't received a decision and this is what she said:

"Yes you are competitive, however, we are still currently reviewing applicants with 3.2-4.0 science gpa and 75-99 PCAT score. Yes there are still spots available at all four campuses. You will receive an email from us once your application has been reviewed and a decision has been made."

Don't lose hope! :)

For the person with the 3.9 GPA and the 71 PCAT, the requirements are the same for all campuses. The above was posted on 3/15/2010.

Since 3.9 GPA is clearly Rock Star status, you will probably get in. I would say 70 PCAT is the bottom ... but I hear that this year's (and last year's) applicants have lower stats than usual, so they may go below 70 for the lowest PCAT's they consider??? Pharmacy experience and volunteer community work help. Just a waiting game until they start to look at 71 PCAT scores...

Good luck everyone interviewing tomorrow at St. Pete. I am in the morning slot so hope to see you there.

For the person with the 3.9 GPA and the 71 PCAT, the requirements are the same for all campuses. The above was posted on 3/15/2010.

Since 3.9 GPA is clearly Rock Star status, you will probably get in. I would say 70 PCAT is the bottom ... but I hear that this year's (and last year's) applicants have lower stats than usual, so they may go below 70 for the lowest PCAT's they consider??? Pharmacy experience and volunteer community work help. Just a waiting game until they start to look at 71 PCAT scores...

Thanks. It makes me feel better. I also started to work in a pharmacy since last October. However, Will they send out invitations through the mail or email? The next interview in ST. Pete will be on Apr. 12th, so I think we should get our invitations by now (if they accept us).

Hi, I'm waiting for a response from the ST. Pete campus too. Would you mind to share you statistics? I have 3.9 GPA and a 71 on Jan. PCAT, but I"ve heard anything from them yet.[/I]

I am an unusual applicant. I have been a college professor for the past 7 years and decided that I didn't enjoy it anymore. I needed to make changes, so I am switching to pharmacy.

My graduate gpa was 3.5 (Organic Chemistry, Ph.D.)
My undergraduate gpa was 3.0 (Chemical Engineering, B.S.)

PCAT: 97th percentile (mainly because of the chemistry section).

Hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing. Did you say you had received your invitation in the mail? But according to Penny ( I don't really know who he/she is), they would send us emails once they make their decisions. I'm confused.

For those that have been accepted/interviewed, did you guys have some withdrawn classes? If so, what were they... if you don't mind sharing. :)

For those that have been accepted/interviewed, did you guys have some withdrawn classes? If so, what were they... if you don't mind sharing. :)
I withdrew from one class in 4 years (statistics) and retook it for an A. I had already got an A in trig, calc, and physics II when I took stats so I treated it as a joke 1st time around and withdrew when I realized an A was no longer attainable. I didn't know withdrawals were viewed very negatively at the time though.

I withdrew from one class in 4 years (statistics) and retook it for an A. I had already got an A in trig, calc, and physics II when I took stats so I treated it as a joke 1st time around and withdrew when I realized an A was no longer attainable. I didn't know withdrawals were viewed very negatively at the time though.

I'm dropped Organic I but I ended up with an A but now I'm taking a healthcare class and I'm not doing so well in it and I was thinking about dropping it. Do you think UF will look down on that withdrawal even though it's not a required class?

I'm dropped Organic I but I ended up with an A but now I'm taking a healthcare class and I'm not doing so well in it and I was thinking about dropping it. Do you think UF will look down on that withdrawal even though it's not a required class?
I have no idea how they select who they do. I don't think they place much emphasis on pharmacy experience or extracurriculars, probably just a basic gpa/pcat formula for deciding who gets an interview. Of course, all schools rate withdrawals negatively.

I'm just speculating, but in my personal opinion W's on your transcripts need to be looked up manually whereas the C's and worse affect your GPA number which is something all schools see first. If this isn't like your 5th W, get out the class if you suspect worse than a B.

I have one, Physics 1, it was not a grade issue, a schedule issue, I thought I would have enough time to get between campuses but I was wrong, was late and stressed out often so I withdrew.

I remember reading on the UF info that it is better to get a W than to get a low grade since they don't do grade forgiveness. I think it was on the GPA portion of the requirements.

And for the record, I have been interviewed but not yet accepted or rejected.

I had a W for Organic Chem 1 and retook it and got an A. W's don't count towards the GPA whereas if you get an F and retake it then both the F and the new grade count. So, W is by far the way to go. There is an essay question on the supplemental application asking you to explain any W's you have.

They do view a W negatively (obviously) but surely, it is far better than an F or a D which will lower your GPA. For people's posts, plenty of people have gotten interviews (I have) with a W. I wouldn't worry about 2 of them. If you are applying for 2010, then a W this semester is a nonissue. They won't even see your grades. So, keep that in mind.

Thanks. It makes me feel better. I also started to work in a pharmacy since last October. However, Will they send out invitations through the mail or email? The next interview in ST. Pete will be on Apr. 12th, so I think we should get our invitations by now (if they accept us).

I read all 8 pages of posts for this blog. One person got an invitation for an interview 5 days before the interview date.

You will be notified by e-mail for an interview, not by mail. Penny is the person who works at UF in the Pharmacy dept who sends out the interview invitations. You can call her if you have any quesitons. She has tons of "confirmed legitimate" info about getting into UF Pharm. Her direct number is (352) 273-6215. Obviously, she is busy so don't bother her too much. If you get some info from her, post it here so other people don't have to call her with the same ques. She is SUPER nice!!! If you call the number on the UF Pharm website, she will probably answer the phone from that number as well.

I would guess (and this is a total guess based on absolutely no legitimate information) that less than half of the people who will be offered interviews for April 12th have been notified yet. The Committee meets every Tues and Thurs and decides to offer interviews little by little.

There are plenty of Tues and Thurs between now and April 12th...just a waiting game...

Hi, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone heard of someone that was outright rejected? I retook my PCAT in January and haven't heard anything yet. My overall GPA is 3.73, math is 3.8, and science is 3.62. My PCAT was 84. I am getting a little nervous.

Hi, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone heard of someone that was outright rejected? I retook my PCAT in January and haven't heard anything yet. My overall GPA is 3.73, math is 3.8, and science is 3.62. My PCAT was 84. I am getting a little nervous.

You are fine. I was just offered an interview Fri, 3/19. I took the PCAT for the first time in Jan and got 94 composite and 3.61 science GPA. I have not heard of anyone being rejected. I am guessing they don't reject anyone until after the class is full in June. They don't have rolling admissions. I expect you will get in...just a very painful waiting game.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hate the waiting game, but anything worth doing, is worth waiting for, right? The thing that really bothers me though, is that I don't have any pharmacy experience, although my Organic Chemistry professor wrote a killer letter of recommendation for me.

Let me say the following (and I guarantee everyone will feel much better about their chances):

I have 3 W's on my transcript: Bio 2, Gen Chem 2, Organic Chem 2

All taken at UF. The second time around, I ended up with a C+ in Bio 2, a "B" in CHM 2, and an "A" in Orgo 2

I have ~ 6 C/C+'s on my transcript.

I have experience shadowing a pharmacist for 3 months.

However, my avg. GPA over my last 5 semesters was a 3.92. Overall = 3.55

Interviewed this morning, I think the interview went well, but obv. no decision.

Keep your heads up!

Let me say the following (and I guarantee everyone will feel much better about their chances):

I have 3 W's on my transcript: Bio 2, Gen Chem 2, Organic Chem 2

All taken at UF. The second time around, I ended up with a C+ in Bio 2, a "B" in CHM 2, and an "A" in Orgo 2

I have ~ 6 C/C+'s on my transcript.

I have experience shadowing a pharmacist for 3 months.

However, my avg. GPA over my last 5 semesters was a 3.92. Overall = 3.55

Interviewed this morning, I think the interview went well, but obv. no decision.

Keep your heads up!

Thanks for Sharing. How's the interview? How long did it last and which campus. I also got a call from LECOM today, Interview on Thurday. However, they only accept about 30% of the interviewees.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hate the waiting game, but anything worth doing, is worth waiting for, right? The thing that really bothers me though, is that I don't have any pharmacy experience, although my Organic Chemistry professor wrote a killer letter of recommendation for me.

Pharmacy experience is helpful, but not required. I really think that your GPA and PCAT scores are both high enough such that you will have no problem getting in based solely on that even without the "help" of pharmacy experience.

Thanks for Sharing. How's the interview? How long did it last and which campus. I also got a call from LECOM today, Interview on Thurday. However, they only accept about 30% of the interviewees.

I interviewed at the St. Pete campus. The interview is short, 10-15 minutes. Not too bad. I too got a call from LECOM today for an interview on the same day, but I have 3 interviews this week so Thursday is completely out of the question. Are you going?

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I only ask because I am 43 myself (44 by Aug/2010). I was offered an interview in Orlando for April 9th. I know that you were offered an interview in St. Petersburg, so if we both get in, we will be at different campuses.

I saw that the oldest person accepted last year and the year before were just under 50, so UF typically does accept people that old...but I would imagine that there are very few people applying who are over 40, so I am curious if you are one of them.

If we both get in, maybe we should keep in touch. Sort of a support group for people who have to rely more on their wisdom acquired from life's experiences versus their youthful stamina.

I interviewed at the St. Pete campus. The interview is short, 10-15 minutes. Not too bad. I too got a call from LECOM today for an interview on the same day, but I have 3 interviews this week so Thursday is completely out of the question. Are you going?

yeah, I'll be there at 7:45 on Thursday. I'll see you there.

I was interviewed in St. Pete yesterday too, good luck!!!!!!!!! Go gators !!!!

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I only ask because I am 43 myself (44 by Aug/2010). I was offered an interview in Orlando for April 9th. I know that you were offered an interview in St. Petersburg, so if we both get in, we will be at different campuses.

I saw that the oldest person accepted last year and the year before were just under 50, so UF typically does accept people that old...but I would imagine that there are very few people applying who are over 40, so I am curious if you are one of them.

If we both get in, maybe we should keep in touch. Sort of a support group for people who have to rely more on their wisdom acquired from life's experiences versus their youthful stamina.

I will be 36 years old in August when classes start.......

I was interviewed in St. Pete yesterday too, good luck!!!!!!!!! Go gators !!!!

I was trying to figure out who wrote this, but now I remember seeing you there yesterday. Good luck to you too! I am confident that we will get in :xf:

I couldn't believe I was the only gator grad there. But yes, GO GATORS!!

I was just invited today to interview at the St. Petersburg campus on April 12th! :D Anyone else interviewing there that date?

Also, are the interviews/questions the same at all campuses?

I was just invited today to interview at the St. Petersburg campus on April 12th! :D Anyone else interviewing there that date?

You got the invite on a Wednesday? I thought invites went out on Mondays and Fridays? Just wanted to say Good Luck, I am still waiting to see if I get an invite.

You got the invite on a Wednesday? I thought invites went out on Mondays and Fridays? Just wanted to say Good Luck, I am still waiting to see if I get an invite.

yup, received an e-mail from Penny this morning. thanks, you too

Not sure if this will mess with your theory at all but I recieved my interview invite on Tuesday February 2nd... So I am guessing it isn't a particular day. It is just based on what needs to be sent out.

Congratulations! What was your PCAT & GPA?