UF VetMed Hopefuls C/O 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm not sure what the normal circumstances are but they were more than willing to do one for me when I was injured and I know they had several scheduled for OOS people who couldn't afford to travel
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
They Skype for extenuating circumstances such as injuries or inclement weather. Never because you just want to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure how much the list will move because its's changed so much year to year, but just in case I'm glad they're accommodating!
 
This was asked earlier in the thread, but I don't think it was really answered. Does anyone know who to contact about file reviews, or if they're doing them this year? The rejection email I got just said "In the event that you are interested in improving your packet for a future application date, we have some recommendations for increasing your competitiveness," and went on to list some generic recommendations (do well in your pre-reqs and other science courses, have competitive GPAs/GRE scores, get a variety of experience). I'd like some more specific feedback if they're offering it.

From my understanding, reviews are only done to those that got interviews and didnt get in (coming from what I remember the previous animal science advisor at UF, now assisant dean the vet school). Those are done with the dean.
I'd contact the admissions office.
 
Last edited:
From my understanding, reviews are only done to those that got interviews and didnt get in (coming from what I remember the previous animal science advisor at UF, not assisant dean the vet school). Those are done with the dean.
I'd contact the admissions office.
Well, I was outright rejected and got a review. It wasn't with the dean, but I still got one. Maybe the dean reviews applicants that got closer than I did?
 
For those of you that have flown down to UF before, where did you fly into? There's no direct flights from anywhere in My IS to Gainesville or Jacksonville, and normally I wouldn't mind layovers, but these options are taking a 2.5 hour flight and turning it into an 8 or even 11 hour ordeal-no thanks haha. Orlando isn't a terrible drive from Gainesville and there's tons of direct flights to there, but I was wondering if any of y'all had other ideas. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
eek this is actually my first post ever... but I go to UF for undergrad and will be interviewing!

Orlando and Jacksonville are both good options and are about equidistant from Gainesville (1.5-2 hours)
But personally, I usually like doing the connecting flight if it means landing at the Gainesville Airport, its just really convenient, about 10 minutes from the campus area
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you that have flown down to UF before, where did you fly into? There's no direct flights from anywhere in Texas to Gainesville or Jacksonville, and normally I wouldn't mind layovers, but these options are taking a 2.5 hour flight and turning it into an 8 or even 11 hour ordeal-no thanks haha. Orlando isn't a terrible drive from Gainesville and there's tons of direct flights to there, but I was wondering if any of y'all had other ideas. Thanks!

I'm taking a SW flight from Houston to Tampa, which I think is a little further away than Orlando, but that's bc there is family there to borrow a car from lol
 
Well, all decisions are received except for Florida's (interview THIS Saturday!!!) and it looks like it comes down to this one 45 minute interview as to whether I get into vet school this cycle or not... unless I get called off of the wait list from OSU or WesternU, but you all know those odds. NO PRESSURE! EEK! :depressed: Good luck to all this weekend and next!!!
 
Does anyone know what time the tours and panels (if they're for sure at 1 and 6) will be at or can someone who is interviewing this weekend post the times? I'm just trying to get an idea of what the day will look like next weekend. Thanks!
 
Hello! I have been viewing SDN for quite some time now, but I thought it would be a good idea join and get to know some of my fellow hopeful classmates. Both my twin sister and I received interviews for February 7th! Congratulations to all those who got interviews and I look forward to meeting everyone!
 
Does anyone know what time the tours and panels (if they're for sure at 1 and 6) will be at or can someone who is interviewing this weekend post the times? I'm just trying to get an idea of what the day will look like next weekend. Thanks!

I think they're holding panels at 10am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm, but don't quote me on that, they may have changed times. Tours will be held throughout the day after each set of interviews, so you won't have to wait too long to go on one of those.

Best of luck to everyone coming this weekend! I'll be giving tours and helping out, so I'm sure I'll see some of you - feel free to say hi 🙂
 
Well, have had my last interview now and have decided that I'm going to commit to Florida. Looking forward to hearing who else will be there with me! 😀

What were your thoughts as far as comparison of schools and comparison of their interviews?
 
I only had one other interview- but there was NO comparison in theirs versus floridas. I thought Florida did a way better job making me feel welcome at their school and relaxed about the interview process. One of the reasons I'm choosing to go there!
 
For those still deciding where to fly into, definitely choose GNV as opposed to other options. The airport here is close to campus (15 munutes) and there is a bus route that you can take to and from campus. There is also a Taxi service. Fly into Atlanta and take the Delta flights into Gainesville. You can choose two different flights and pay for then separately, just remember to check in before your second flight.

Orlando, Jax, and Tampa are all at least an hour and a half (bank on 2-2 and a half) from Gainesville, but there will be traffic and you dont want to get stuck on the highway.
 
For those still deciding where to fly into, definitely choose GNV as opposed to other options. The airport here is close to campus (15 munutes) and there is a bus route that you can take to and from campus. There is also a Taxi service. Fly into Atlanta and take the Delta flights into Gainesville. You can choose two different flights and pay for then separately, just remember to check in before your second flight.

Orlando, Jax, and Tampa are all at least an hour and a half (bank on 2-2 and a half) from Gainesville, but there will be traffic and you dont want to get stuck on the highway.
Can you give me more info on the bus route? A website to plan my route? A cab is estimated to cost me $40 each way.....
 
Can you give me more info on the bus route? A website to plan my route? A cab is estimated to cost me $40 each way.....

Fyi we do have Uber in Gainesville which will be slightly cheaper than a cab company if you're not using it during a peak hour (my phone tells me its 20-30$ depending on traffic). The bus will certainly be cheaper, though I'm not too familiar with it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
Fyi we do have Uber in Gainesville which will be slightly cheaper than a cab company if you're not using it during a peak hour (my phone tells me its 20-30$ depending on traffic). The bus will certainly be cheaper, though I'm not too familiar with it.


Uber is no longer allowed at the airport as they do not have proper licenses.

The bus is 3 dollars a day and only runs directly to the center of campus then you have to play jumping jacks to get anywhere near the actual vet school. Cabs will be less frustration. Can you rent a car? That can be WAY cheaper.
 
Can you give me more info on the bus route? A website to plan my route? A cab is estimated to cost me $40 each way.....

Download the Transloc app on your phone (its free) and click on University of Florida.. I think route 24A and 25A go to the airport.. Just make sure you take one that takes you around campus.. There is one that stops Rawlings parking garage (On Newells drive).. Thats dead center of campus, the Vet School is about a mile south of there, and the Reitz Union (where there is a hotel) is just a short walk away.

You can also look up RTS bus routes, should pop up on google.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had my interview at 10am this morning! Amazing experience!!! I looked over the questions from previous years and general interview questions and was well prepared. They definitely had a "good cop/bad cop" thing going on, but all in all, it was a positive experience. Hoping that I impressed them. Will hear soon! Good luck to all who still have to interview!!!
 
I hope everyone had a great experience that interviewed today! I really enjoyed it 😛. And good luck to 2/14 interviewees! :luck:
 
Had my interview at 10am this morning! Amazing experience!!! I looked over the questions from previous years and general interview questions and was well prepared. They definitely had a "good cop/bad cop" thing going on, but all in all, it was a positive experience. Hoping that I impressed them. Will hear soon! Good luck to all who still have to interview!!!

Glad everyone had a good interview day! I interview on the 14th! Kind of nerve wrecking to hear the good cop bad cop! Lol

Did they say when they would announce decisions?
 
That was the most fun interview I've had! I found it very enjoyable. I was told by three or so people that I had the best set of interviewers, and I believe that. We laughed a lot and it really was more like a personal conversation than a strict interview. They asked some of the suggested questions, but they really adapted the session around what I had said and what they had seen about me. If you interview next Saturday, don't stress about this! You got this!
 
I agree with the above post. It was a fun interview but also the most random, crazy interview ever! We went over the alloted time and some of the stuff talked about was off the wall! Lots of laughs during the interview too!
 
Congrats to everyone that got an interview. Any suggestions before my interview on the 14th?
 
Don't stress. The interviews are fun and laid back. Relax. Laugh. Be yourself. Ya know, the typical stuff.

They told me it is closed file, if that helps you at all.
 
Do y'all have any suggestions of things to do or see in Gainesville? Or places to eat at? I can't wait to see Gainesville and the school!
 
Do y'all have any suggestions of things to do or see in Gainesville? Or places to eat at? I can't wait to see Gainesville and the school!

I'm curious about that too b/c you know...Valentine's Day and all! Lol. The bf and I will be in town but staying in Gainesville for the night of the 14th.
 
There is so much to do here! If you're looking for great food, The Fat Tuscan is my favorite. It's some of the best food I have ever eaten and very charming and romantic. There are also the Florida Museum of Natural History and the Harn Museum of Art if you're looking for some culture. The butterfly exhibit at the natural history museum is awesome. If you want to get out in nature, there are too many nature trails and state parks for me to list. My favorite is San Felasco State Park, as that's where I like to ride my horse, bike, and hike. Just send me a message if you're looking for something in particular! I love to spread the love for Gainesville.
 
I went to a place called Leonardo's for pizza and it was amazing! It's not very romantic for Valentine's Day though lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apparently there's a chuy's there? I'm not sure if it's the same Chuy's tex mex as in Texas, but if it is I will continue to eat my weight in their creamy jalapeño dip.

There is a Chuy's! 😍

A couple other of my favorites are
La Tienda--casual, pretty authentic, Mexican that is way too good..I like the chimichanga, its awesome. and near the vet school!
Boca Fiesta--also Mexican, and also great, less authentic and less casual. I aalso think they have some unique things like gator meat
Satchels--famous in Gainesville, its a funky pizza place, and they make their own soda
Dragonfly--kind of a trendy sushi place, a little on the expensive side, the dragon roll is awesome
The Gelato Company--A. awesome gelato B. a really good place for lunch, they have good sandwiches etc
Mi Apa--casual cuban, can sit down or they have a drive-thru
Civilization--go for brunch
The Flying Biscuit--amazing breakfast
Piesano's--pizza
Blaze--this is brand new, you can pick the pizza toppings and they make it right in front of you, it takes like 5 minutes because of the thin crust

A couple more that are either chains (at least in Florida) or are quick and more for a quick bite
Bento--asian
The coop--fried chicken/chicken tenders
Burrito bros--self explanatory
Designer greens--salads and sandwiches

I can't think of anymore right now..but as you can tell, I love the food in Gainesville🙂
 
There is a Chuy's! 😍

A couple other of my favorites are
La Tienda--casual, pretty authentic, Mexican that is way too good..I like the chimichanga, its awesome. and near the vet school!
Boca Fiesta--also Mexican, and also great, less authentic and less casual. I aalso think they have some unique things like gator meat
Satchels--famous in Gainesville, its a funky pizza place, and they make their own soda
Dragonfly--kind of a trendy sushi place, a little on the expensive side, the dragon roll is awesome
The Gelato Company--A. awesome gelato B. a really good place for lunch, they have good sandwiches etc
Mi Apa--casual cuban, can sit down or they have a drive-thru
Civilization--go for brunch
The Flying Biscuit--amazing breakfast
Piesano's--pizza
Blaze--this is brand new, you can pick the pizza toppings and they make it right in front of you, it takes like 5 minutes because of the thin crust

A couple more that are either chains (at least in Florida) or are quick and more for a quick bite
Bento--asian
The coop--fried chicken/chicken tenders
Burrito bros--self explanatory
Designer greens--salads and sandwiches

I can't think of anymore right now..but as you can tell, I love the food in Gainesville🙂
So 2/3 schools I applied to have chuy's in their town. I think my stomach made a subconscious requirement for where I applied. And thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll be eating a lot while I'm in town haha!