You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UF VetMed Hopefuls C/O 2019
Started by QuirkyDoc19
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm here! I'm very nervous. This is my last interview, so I'm excited to be done and also dreading the wait. I'd hate to have come this far without being successful, but I'm doing my best to not be negative as usual!! I hope everyone makes it here safely!
I just realized that we never got an itinerary other than to show up 15-20 minutes before your interview. For those of you who have already interviewed, how was the day structured? I interview at 3...I feel like I'd miss the tours and panels if I just showed up at 2:30.
Edit: Found the email that said a panel will be at 6, but do the tours really run all day?
Edit: Found the email that said a panel will be at 6, but do the tours really run all day?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They will take all of the 3 pm interviews into a big waiting room at 230 and do a PowerPoint about the school. Low key. Then everyone is taken to their interviews. After your interview they escort you to a debriefing room. Also low key. Then they organize everyone for a tour, followed by a really casual Q&A panel. You won't miss anything. Enjoy your interview. I had a great time!
They will take all of the 3 pm interviews into a big waiting room at 230 and do a PowerPoint about the school. Low key. Then everyone is taken to their interviews. After your interview they escort you to a debriefing room. Also low key. Then they organize everyone for a tour, followed by a really casual Q&A panel. You won't miss anything. Enjoy your interview. I had a great time!
Thanks! I didn't know that they had it structured like that!
Done! Now the waiting game....
MY INTERVIEW WAS AMAZING. The interviewers were very, very friendly and it was such a nice experience. Plus, one of them was particularly vocal about how impressed he was with my application and how I interviewed. I'm not sure if it was to make me feel better.....but it worked.
A friend of mine told me about Dragonfly.. I'll definitely be going there if I get accepted 😀There is a Chuy's! 😍
A couple other of my favorites are
La Tienda--casual, pretty authentic, Mexican that is way too good..I like the chimichanga, its awesome. and near the vet school!
Boca Fiesta--also Mexican, and also great, less authentic and less casual. I aalso think they have some unique things like gator meat
Satchels--famous in Gainesville, its a funky pizza place, and they make their own soda
Dragonfly--kind of a trendy sushi place, a little on the expensive side, the dragon roll is awesome
The Gelato Company--A. awesome gelato B. a really good place for lunch, they have good sandwiches etc
Mi Apa--casual cuban, can sit down or they have a drive-thru
Civilization--go for brunch
The Flying Biscuit--amazing breakfast
Piesano's--pizza
Blaze--this is brand new, you can pick the pizza toppings and they make it right in front of you, it takes like 5 minutes because of the thin crust
A couple more that are either chains (at least in Florida) or are quick and more for a quick bite
Bento--asian
The coop--fried chicken/chicken tenders
Burrito bros--self explanatory
Designer greens--salads and sandwiches
I can't think of anymore right now..but as you can tell, I love the food in Gainesville🙂
Never heard of it but that jalapeno dip sounds great xDApparently there's a chuy's there? I'm not sure if it's the same Chuy's tex mex as in Texas, but if it is I will continue to eat my weight in their creamy jalapeño dip.
Never heard of it but that jalapeno dip sounds great xD
So I'm not a jalapeño person, but just ask for the creamy jalapeño dip for your chips. It's free and I'd be perfectly fine if eating only that for the rest of my life.
Also as far as thank you notes go, does anyone know where to get the contact information to send them?
Well me and my fiance love jalapenos lol so I'm assuming were going to like it 😛 and I found their emails by googling their names and sent them an email. Not traditional, but meh.So I'm not a jalapeño person, but just ask for the creamy jalapeño dip for your chips. It's free and I'd be perfectly fine if eating only that for the rest of my life.
Also as far as thank you notes go, does anyone know where to get the contact information to send them?
Can't wait to find out! I'm going crazy with anxiety!
Can't wait to find out! I'm going crazy with anxiety!
I'm not sure if they gave you an estimated timeline at your interview, but they told us (2/14 interviewees) they will be working really hard to have decisions sent by email by the end of the month, early March at the latest. Looking back at last year's thread, if I remember correctly, the last interview day was 2/8 and they found out on 2/24. But, I think someone posted earlier on this thread that one class was told they would find out within days of the last interview date. I would just plan for the end of the month and feast on that creamy jalapeño dip in the meantime
Did anyone else think their interviews didn't go so well??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought everything was going great until I got a TNR question and my only male interviewer started debating with me lol and it stinks bc im interested in shelter med so im scared I blew it..Did anyone else think their interviews didn't go so well??
That's exactly what happened! My male interviewer was debating with me over research! I wonder if it was the same guy?
Hmm could be, but I though each room had a different controversial question. I met someone else who had my same interviewers and felt the same way with the TNR question and his approach with it so I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the same impression but stilllll it freaked me out enough 🙁That's exactly what happened! My male interviewer was debating with me over research! I wonder if it was the same guy?
Well either way I'm glad I'm not alone!
Most schools have someone you can contact if you felt that the interview was truly unfair. I haven't looked on the website in a long time, but you may want to look or ask how much the interview is worth in the admissions process. Plus if the debate was based off of one question, hopefully it won't affect you that much, since it was a 45 minute long interview and multiple questions were asked. Also remember there were three interviewers, so the scores/opinions from each could balance out. Keep your heads up, just remember whether it's the interview (and I'm sure no one felt like they gave a perfect interview) or something on an application, etc. I think everyone has things they would like to improve to get in. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, so the admissions committee takes all of them into account even if they are weighted differently. You tried your best (I know it sounds cliche, but it's appropriate here) and getting an interview is a feat in itself, so just keep pushing forward even though it's hard.
Hm....I didn't really get any "controversial" questions. They did ask a lot about my zoo stuff, and we talked about Blackfish and captivity. They weren't grilling me on it, they were genuinely curious about how I handled these topics with zoo guests.
I think my interview went really, really well. I'm sorry you guys feel differently, but I bet you did way better than you think. My interviewers said they really just want to see your train of thought when they ask you something.
I think my interview went really, really well. I'm sorry you guys feel differently, but I bet you did way better than you think. My interviewers said they really just want to see your train of thought when they ask you something.
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
I didn't realize it was only 24...lol. could be less I suppose.I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that their interview didn't go so well. I'm really anxious to find out if I got in especially since they only accept 24 OOS students. I really hope I get in!
I was also asked about Blackfish, which was great...because I worked for Seaworld 😀Hm....I didn't really get any "controversial" questions. They did ask a lot about my zoo stuff, and we talked about Blackfish and captivity. They were grilling me on it, they were genuinely curious about how I handled these topics with zoo guests.
I think my interview went really, really well. I'm sorry you guys feel differently, but I bet you did way better than you think. My interviewers said they really just want to see your train of thought when they ask you something.
I am dying waiting....
I'm addicted to refreshing my emailI am dying waiting....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have never been to a Chuy's... I have now decided this must be the first thing I do upon arriving in Gainesville.
If you like spicy get the southwestern enchilada. I order it without the scrambled egg on top, because that's too weird for me. But mmmmm it's so delicious.
I'm feeling your pain.I am dying waiting....
I was feeling hopeful and completed my FAFSA today... ugh! the waiting!!!
.
Last edited:
Hopefully its this week x.x can't wait to find out.Hello guys,
I was in your shoes last year, and remember how the wait felt, like your entire life was on hold it was all I could think about :/ sorry you all have to wait so long. News is coming, I'm not sure when this year but I'll try to ask around. If anyone has questions about first year or anything feel free to ask me🙂 If you don't get in this year, as devastating as it may feel please don't lose hope, some of my favorite classmates had to apply multiple times.
Good luck to all
Hey guys,
I got an email from Lynn Chaparro this morning with information on the MPH/DVM combined degree program. It totally freaked me out, I thought it was my decision email. I wonder if this means I haven't been accepted and I should try my luck into another applicant pool or what not. I was just wondering who else got this email?
I got an email from Lynn Chaparro this morning with information on the MPH/DVM combined degree program. It totally freaked me out, I thought it was my decision email. I wonder if this means I haven't been accepted and I should try my luck into another applicant pool or what not. I was just wondering who else got this email?
I got that too. I'm wondering if they just mailed it to everyone who applied (it says the application deadline for that program is March 1st). Either way, I hope we get decision emails soon.
I didn't get that email...what was it about?
Applying for the dual degree DVM/MPH program.
I'm not applying and they didn't send it to me. Hope thats not a bad thing lolI got that too. I'm wondering if they just mailed it to everyone who applied (it says the application deadline for that program is March 1st). Either way, I hope we get decision emails soon.
Did you both apply for it?
I didn't get that email either...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No I didn't apply for it. Here's most of the email:
Dear Applicant,
As you consider your academic training, we would like to bring an exciting opportunity at the University of Florida to your attention. There is a nationally recognized need for veterinarians trained to address issues of public health significance such as food safety and security, emerging infectious diseases, and disaster preparedness. In response to this need, the Colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Public Health and Health Professions partnered to create a joint Doctor of Veterinary Medicine/Master of Public Health (DVM/MPH) degree program. The Joint DVM/MPH Program enables qualified students to complete both degrees in four years, and adds approximately $22,000-$25,000 (in-state) or $48,000-$53,000 (out-of-state) to the tuition cost of the DVM alone.
The first joint DVM/MPH students at the University of Florida were admitted in 2007 and graduated in May 2011. There are currently 14 students enrolled in the program. Admission to the Joint DVM/MPH Program will continue this spring, with classes beginning in the summer semester of 2015. A brochure describing the program is attached for your review, and you may also visit our website for more information: http://mph.ufl.edu/programs/oncampusprograms/collaborative-degree-programs/dvm_mph/.
If you are interested in pursuing the Joint DVM/MPH Program please refer to the attached checklist for detailed application instructions. Please note that items on the checklist are in addition to the application materials you have already submitted to the UF College of Veterinary Medicine for the DVM program. The deadline for submission of all MPH program application materials is March 1, 2015.
Dear Applicant,
As you consider your academic training, we would like to bring an exciting opportunity at the University of Florida to your attention. There is a nationally recognized need for veterinarians trained to address issues of public health significance such as food safety and security, emerging infectious diseases, and disaster preparedness. In response to this need, the Colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Public Health and Health Professions partnered to create a joint Doctor of Veterinary Medicine/Master of Public Health (DVM/MPH) degree program. The Joint DVM/MPH Program enables qualified students to complete both degrees in four years, and adds approximately $22,000-$25,000 (in-state) or $48,000-$53,000 (out-of-state) to the tuition cost of the DVM alone.
The first joint DVM/MPH students at the University of Florida were admitted in 2007 and graduated in May 2011. There are currently 14 students enrolled in the program. Admission to the Joint DVM/MPH Program will continue this spring, with classes beginning in the summer semester of 2015. A brochure describing the program is attached for your review, and you may also visit our website for more information: http://mph.ufl.edu/programs/oncampusprograms/collaborative-degree-programs/dvm_mph/.
If you are interested in pursuing the Joint DVM/MPH Program please refer to the attached checklist for detailed application instructions. Please note that items on the checklist are in addition to the application materials you have already submitted to the UF College of Veterinary Medicine for the DVM program. The deadline for submission of all MPH program application materials is March 1, 2015.
"As you consider your academic training"?! What does that mean? It sounds like a good thing though!
"As you consider your academic training"?! What does that mean? It sounds like a good thing though!
I have no idea what that means. I kind of assumed they just sent it to everyone since no one has gotten decisions yet. So it's weird that only some of us are getting it.
By any chance, do those of you who got the email mind sharing what your major is? I'm just wondering because I did not get the email and I am an Animal Science major, but I do have a friend who also applied and is a Health Science major and she received the email. I was just hoping that the reason they sent it to some is because their majors applied to the program and they thought they would be interested, versus it meaning something about our admissions status.