Dec 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys. So far I have been accepted to UF and am waiting to hear back from Nova because I interviewed late. I know that UF is obviously the better school with the better reputation, but assuming I get into Nova, a strong part of me really wants to go there. I went to UF for undergrad and had a great experience but I am more than ready to get out of Gainesville. Four years is a long commitment and Nova is about 30 minutes from my house so I would be able to see my family and be near my support system, which is extremely important to me. I also plan to practice in South Florida, so I think it would be advantageous to make connections while I am in school.

The part that's holding me back is 1. Nova is more expensive (about $50k more by the end of the 4 years) and 2. I feel like an idiot giving up a #3 school for a #50 something school. Name brands have never been that important to me in general, and I want to go where I will be happiest, but I can't help but fear I will be making a mistake by going to Nova based on some negative aspects I have heard concerning the poor quality of professors and the difficulty in finishing graduation requirements on time. I am looking for opinions from actual Nova students if possible or anyone else who may have insight comparing the two schools. My philosophy is generally that you're going to get the degree no matter which school you go to but I want to make sure picking the lower ranked school won't come back to bite me later on when it comes time to start working. Thanks for the help!

Apr 13, 2011
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
Personally, I would pick UF because trust me, they'll have connections to anywhere in Florida.

It seems you have your heart set on Nova though so I wouldn't discount that gut feeling by any means. Just from my personal opinion will going to Nova over UF hurt you in any way? No, not really. Will you be happier with your choice of Nova over UF? Probably. To me, it really comes down to what will make sense for YOUR situation. Don't worry about what others may think because like you said, either way you'll ultimately come out a dentist. Anyone can excel at any dental school, it's if you want to make the most out of that school's opportunities. Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: tandem7
Jan 10, 2013
USA
Status
Dental Student
Definitely go to UF...no question about it. With the money you save going to UF, you can vacation in Fort Lauderdale during breaks :D

Reactions: tandem7