UGA c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Friday bump...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@ANSohschm Haha!

The email said they were making decision this week and next, so I bet it will be Friday the 10th, or they'll break from tradition and do it Wed, Feb 15...but I would be thrilled to be wrong :).

What's everyone doing while they wait (i.e. for fun other than work/school/etc)?

@ANSohschm Haha!

The email said they were making decision this week and next, so I bet it will be Friday the 10th, or they'll break from tradition and do it Wed, Feb 15...but I would be thrilled to be wrong :).

What's everyone doing while they wait (i.e. for fun other than work/school/etc)?
Mostly checking this site haha. In all seriousness it's all I think about.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@ANSohschm Haha!

I mean my mind is flip-flopping between school work, stress, this admissions process, or this
1485895178-winnie.gif

It's like I'm so incomprehensibly fried that I'm not sure how to have fun anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, that GIF @Great Butts

Someone gifted me a DNA test for my dog, so I am waiting on those results as well. (It's just for fun, but I'm very interested as everyone seems to have very different opinions and are surprisingly passionate about their thoughts). I attached a picture of him if anyone here has unbiased guesses? He's about 45 lbs.

I'm not usually a huge football person, but I'm in Atlanta so it's been fun to see all the team pride with the Superbowl on Sunday. I'm also super jazzed that there is a three legged puppy in the Puppybowl.

TSR_7458_print.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Someone gifted me a DNA test for my dog, so I am waiting on those results as well. (It's just for fun, but I'm very interested as everyone seems to have very different opinions and are surprisingly passionate about their thoughts). I attached a picture of him if anyone here has unbiased guesses? He's about 45 lbs.

I'm not usually a huge football person, but I'm in Atlanta so it's been fun to see all the team pride with the Superbowl on Sunday. I'm also super jazzed that there is a three legged puppy in the Puppybowl.

View attachment 214234
leo-the-australian-shepherd-1_47941_2010-07-27_w450.jpg

He looks like a shepherd mix to me!

Two interviews this week and 3 exams.... lord help me :dead:

View attachment 214234
Shepherd/Bernese mountain dog? Maybe w some border collie?
I did DNA tests on ran of my dogs and it was a lot of fun! One of their results didn't surprise me at all, but the other one definitely did!

These are my babies:
IMG_3898.JPG

Any guess what their DNA results came back as?

I am SO tired of being in limbo. I want to know!! At this point I've come to terms with the fact that I'm most likely not getting in anywhere this year, and I'm ok with that, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Either way I just want to know so my husband and I can make some decisions!

Reactions: 4 users
The top doggo is a unique looking one!! I would guess...corgi mix? And the bottom one would def be lab mix to me.
Yes bottom one is mostly lab. He also has chunks of rottie, pit, and boxer. He's 70#.

Top one is about 50#. I'll find her pie chart thing and post it so you can see her percentages of each breed

Members don't see this ad :)
@lhmhtd Bernese is a big guess from people! His head is actually more boxy in person than in that photo. So I was thinking maybe some rottie in there. I love your doggos, they look unamused, lol. I agree with @Great Butts on doggo 1 - corgie and maybe pomeranian? The front doggo looks lab to me too.

@Great Butts I like it, I have also agreed that Aussie is super likely for the coloring and fur - I used my Microsoft Word "photoshop" (not really photoshop since it's literally in Word) skills to put my dog's bow tie on your picture. I think it's uncanny :)

Aussie_bowtie.PNG

Last edited:
IMG_2013.JPG

@lhmhtd Bernese is a big guess from people! His head is actually more boxy in person than in that photo. So I was thinking maybe some rottie in there. I love your doggos, they look unamused, lol. I agree with @Great Butts on doggo 1 - corgie and maybe pomeranian? The front doggo looks lab to me too.

@Great Butts I like it, I have also agreed that Aussie is super likely for the coloring and fur - I used my Microsoft Word photoshop skills to put my dog's bow tie on your picture. I think it's uncanny :)

View attachment 214236
Well he's a cutie either way! Keep us posted- I'm super curious now as to what he is lol

@lhmhtd Ah! I missed the part about 50# - that rules out pom, haha, but Chow Chow covers that thought :). Really interesting - both of yours are super cute! I'll let you know what mine ends up coming out as.

I'm also married - I know it's tough to go through this process with a spouse (asking someone else to be in limbo for your dream). Sending good vibes!

@Awapi Your MS photoshop skills are quite impressive!! Your dog is a qt tho, can't wait to see what his results say.

@lhmhtd I can see the chow chow from the tongue and lab from the head shape now - the first picture made your dog look much smaller. :)

@lhmhtd Ah! I missed the part about 50# - that rules out pom, haha, but Chow Chow covers that thought :). Really interesting - both of yours are super cute! I'll let you know what mine up being :).

I'm also married - I know it's tough to go through this process with a spouse (asking someone else to be in limbo for your dream). Sending good vibes!
Thanks! We are actually currently in Athens while my SO finishes up his masters at UGA. He will be defending in a couple months and he's been looking for jobs so that he's got something lined up after he graduates. The problem is that there's no reason we NEED to stay here unless I get into Georgia. With the job market for ecologists being what it is right now (and the federal hiring freeze), we will probably end up going wherever he does get a job. I would love for him to find something local, though there's not much in Athens. Our lease runs out this summer as well, so we don't know if we need to renew it, or look for different houses in the area, or in a different state entirely. Fingers crossed it's today that we hear back. I'm getting so impatient!

Haha, thanks @Great Butts I literally do these terrible photoshops using Word where I remove the background on one photo and then just bring it to the front of another photo. It's a running joke at my office/in my friend group because they are usually so terrible. The most recent one was when my college friend group went to the lake and one couple couldn't make it so I super-imposed a photo of them in ski gear (like snow skiing) on a photo of the rest of us in a boat at the lake.

This one wasn't a good example of how horrendous they are because it was simple.

@Awapi Your MS photoshop skills are quite impressive!! Your dog is a qt tho, can't wait to see what his results say.

@lhmhtd I can see the chow chow from the tongue and lab from the head shape now - the first picture made your dog look much smaller. :)
Yes Logan is kind of a jerk and frequently sits/lays on her. She's so docile. She's my dog soul mate. Love this baby. I don't see lab in her though! I see chow and Australian shepherd. I always was convinced she had border collie and/or golden retriever in her.

View attachment 214234
Your dog is adorable! I love tripawds. I recently did the DNA test on my dog too and was surprised by the results. He's my profile picture. I ran a contest for a rescue and only one person was able to guess correctly.

View attachment 214234

That three-legged puppy news is the best thing I've heard all week! Been distracting myself by cross-stitching...that's about it. But these puppy photos are giving me life on a slow day!!

Your dog is adorable! I love tripawds. I recently did the DNA test on my dog too and was surprised by the results. He's my profile picture. I ran a contest for a rescue and only one person was able to guess correctly.

(From the photo) he looks like he has long-haired chi in him, but hard to tell without size reference. I've been eyeing your profile photo and several others for some time because of their adorable furry occupants. Sounds like an awesome contest!

@finneganfox Stop it - I am also a serious cross-stitcher. I don't know many others with that hobby!

Last edited:
One of my references just emailed me and said they spoke to someone from the college yesterday, so they are still calling people it sounds like!

Reactions: 6 users
(From the photo) he looks like he has long-haired chi in him, but hard to tell without size reference. I've been eyeing your profile photo and several others for some time because of their adorable furry occupants. Sounds like an awesome contest!

@finneganfox Stop it - I am also a serious cross-stitcher.
He's 12 pounds. Yes he's 87.5% chihuahua and 12.5% Pomeranian. I had a feeling he had chihuahua in him but I didn't think it would be that much due to his size. I also assumed he had papillon due to his ears.

@Awapi Yay! Me neither, only one other person. The rest are people I've met via Instagram! But yeah, stabbing things repeatedly is helping me survive this wait :cat:

Just to join in the fun... I have a mini beagle (mixed with chihuahua?) and a maxi beagle (mixed with hound? people have guessed blue tick) but I haven't had DNA run for either!

Last edited:
Just to join in the fun... I have a mini beagle (mixed with chihuahua?) and a maxi beagle (mixed with hound? people have guessed blue tick) but I haven't had DNA run for either!

Can't see the pic :(

Has anyone taking VPHY 3100 at the vet school or working as an orderly at the hospital today seen the committee meeting or heard whispers about decisions being released?

My goofy doggo
ImageUploadedBySDN1486143725.259942.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
@RedLauren my heart just grew 3 sizes. That. Face. Also, nice teeth, very pearly white.

@finneganfox repost! I want to see doggos! Also, I love the cross stitch, I mostly do traditional borders that I can use patterns for from my mom's old books and then replace the text with funny R&B or other song lyrics. I have done people/house ones for my friends for gifts as well (in their likeness). It's a fun hobby!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here are a few of my doggos! The white male and brown roan female on top are both pure bred spinone italiano! The yellow lab on the left is the father to the black lab on the right! We have 6 dogs, 2 kittens, fish, and a turtle!
b5.jpg
breda.jpg
10462674_927732680576572_6092502566795555353_n.jpg

Has anyone taking VPHY 3100 at the vet school or working as an orderly at the hospital today seen the committee meeting or heard whispers about decisions being released?

I work at the hospital and nothing as far as I know! But all I really hear about nowadays is the Dean search...

I work at the hospital and nothing as far as I know! But all I really hear about nowadays is the Dean search...
that's why I thought decisions would be more likely to come out today! they start ambassador interviews next week on top of the dean search!

Two of my references said that they spoke to UGA today!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! Just found this thread. This Is my 5th time applying. Got waitlisted last year and ended up #3 on the list. Hoping this is my year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! Just found this thread. This Is my 5th time applying. Got waitlisted last year and ended up #3 on the list. Hoping this is my year

Good luck! Do you know if any of your references have been called yet?

As much as I hate to say it, if someone's references were called today, it looks like we won't be hearing until next Friday

Reactions: 3 users
Reference was called today at 3:45. IS

I can confirm an OOS applicant had her reference called yesterday. Sadly it wasn't me but a fellow co-worker. We both are applying...I feel great :(

Here's to another week (or so) of distracting ourselves! o_O

Let's hope that falcons super bowl loss isn't an indication of more bad news to come on Friday

Reactions: 4 users
I'm curious - what did everyone put as your track/concentration of interest? (i.e. small animal, large animal, etc).

I'm public/corporate and that's where the bulk of my experience lies as well (public health and research). Statistically, I know it skews heavily toward small/companion animal overall, just curious if SDN is the same. (And it's another distraction if you want to get technical about it ;) ).