UGA c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we can email our transcript? Or does it have to be regular mail? I've tried calling to ask but they haven't answered. I'm sure they're swamped with everyone's questions during this crazy time.
I've called them before. They told me it must be an official transcript. normally that means it is in a sealed envelope from your institution. But, all schools are different.

Members don't see this ad.

In one place it says the 1st and in another it says the 20th so I'm getting it in by the 20th to be safe. Does anyone know when they were due previous years? It seems odd that they would potentially send out acceptances before transcripts were due.
They will send an email asking for an updated transcript and tell you when they want them by.

I concur, depending on the program. If you take it the first summer session you should be good,
UGA will not allow you to take the course in the summer. However, some veterinary schools do allow this. UGA does NOT. All coursework must be completed by the end of the spring semester prior to the entry into veterinary school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think UGA has called any of my references...which can mean essentially ANYTHING.

Also, does anyone know how many OOS students UGA accepts each year? (I know based on prior thread it depends on a few factors..but is there a general number?)

Last edited:
I don't think UGA has called any of my references...which can mean essentially ANYTHING.

Also, does anyone know how many OOS students UGA accepts each year? (I know based on prior thread it depends on a few factors..but is there a general number?)

The latest data (class of 2018) shows 15 at large seats. That year, there were 637 at large applicants. Years before that it was even less.

link

@BishopFaust @ANSohschm

There were fewer OOS in the past, but the class size was also smaller. C/o 2018 had 15 OOS with a total enrollment of 114, in previous years there were fewer OOS but the class size was only 102. Sustaining (or increasing) the 114 is probably good for both OOS and IS (all it takes is 1 seat!).

http://vet.uga.edu/vmc/fastfacts.php
  • Can accommodate class size of up to 160 students (our current enrollment is 114; future adjustment of class sizes will be based on region's need for veterinarians and enrollment demand)

Last edited:

From looking at last years thread, it doesn't seem like they called many OOS references, but overall they don't accept many OOS as it is.

@BishopFaust @ANSohschm

There were fewer OOS in the past, but the class size was also smaller. C/o 2018 had 15 OOS with a total enrollment of 114, in previous years there were fewer OOS but the class size was only 102. Sustaining (or increasing) the 114 is probably good for both OOS and IS chances (all it takes is 1 seat!).

http://vet.uga.edu/vmc/fastfacts.php
  • Can accommodate class size of up to 160 students (our current enrollment is 114; future adjustment of class sizes will be based on region's need for veterinarians and enrollment demand)
There were many more applicants than usual this year. I think I was told 1700-ish range. I guess we will see if that translates into a larger class size this year.

From looking at last years thread, it doesn't seem like they called many OOS references, but overall they don't accept many OOS as it is.

There were many more applicants than usual this year. I think I was told 1700-ish range. I guess we will see if that translates into a larger class size this year.

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. UGA is the last school this cycle that hasn't rejected me yet, but historically it looks like they take very few 'at large' students. It seems as though this year is exceptionally competitive...

@Awapi - thanks for the stats. I hope they increase the class size this year!

Reactions: 1 users

Did they give you any indication as to the breakdown of IS versus OOS in the 1,700 applications? That is a huge jump from the last reported class of 2018 of 976 applications.

Has anyone heard anything regarding stats for the past 2 classes?

Did they give you any indication as to the breakdown of IS versus OOS in the 1,700 applications? That is a huge jump from the last reported class of 2018 of 976 applications.

Has anyone heard anything regarding stats for the past 2 classes?

I found these numbers on the teaching hospital archived facts page for class of 2019, but it doesn't break it down any further. I couldn't find the most recent stats for last years class either

Total applicants, class of 2019:
  • 223 from Georgia
  • 87 from South Carolina
  • 9 from Delaware
  • 788 from other states and international
Enrolled students, class of 2019: 114

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1,700 seems like a huge number to me. That means basically 1 in 5 vet school applicants applied to Georgia.

In my decision letter last year they said there were 1400 applicants. So it's possible that there are 1700 this year.

1,700 seems like a huge number to me. That means basically 1 in 5 vet school applicants applied to Georgia.
Colorado State had about 2000 applicants this year. Which seems crazy, I thought the average number of applicants for each school was about 1000.

Hello everyone! I am a UGA class of 2021 hopeful! Just read through this entire thread to get caught up :) Good luck to all!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone else received news of their references being called?

Nothing here - all three would tell me :).

Last edited:
Looking back at last year's thread references started getting called about January 20th...and I think their timeline is later this year :p Also, it looks like they had decisions like 9 days after references started getting called.
I hope they start calling references soon though. Waiting is driving me crazy! Haha

Hello everyone,

Good luck to all you waiting on that email! I'm a current class of 2020 student at UGA and wanted to pass on some good luck vibes to y'all. I got my letter on 1/29/16 so it shouldn't be too much longer. Hang in there and I hope to welcome all of you next fall!

-Matt

Reactions: 7 users
Nothin here ether

From what I've heard, they won't call references until they get all the transcripts in, and then they'll probably release decisions pretty soon after that.

It looks like they send out everything on fridays and it was approximately this upcoming friday that people found out.

It looks like they send out everything on fridays and it was approximately this upcoming friday that people found out.
I am really hoping we find out this Friday!

I doubt we will be hearing this week since it seems they haven't started calling references yet

I mean two years ago the same thing happened. It seems pretty consistent

So I just got an email titled 'UGA CVM Admissions' (I almost died) and it was Parker Moore asking for an updated picture of my driver's license since the one I provided at the time is now expired. The email stated that they are currently reviewing my application for admission to their program (yay!). He requested the picture be sent by Feb 3rd.

So maybe it will be that Friday??

Reactions: 3 users
I heard someone called last year with a legitimate question and then also asked if they had a date scheduled to release decisions and got an actual accurate answer back. Has anyone tried that yet?

Has anyone gotten email confirmation that they received your transcripts?

So I just got an email titled 'UGA CVM Admissions' (I almost died) and it was Parker Moore asking for an updated picture of my driver's license since the one I provided at the time is now expired. The email stated that they are currently reviewing my application for admission to their program (yay!). He requested the picture be sent by Feb 3rd.

So maybe it will be that Friday??
I never was asked to send in my drivers license. Are you OOS or IS?

I haven't gotten an email but I was wondering the same thing.
I emailed Parker and he told me they had. I know other people have called or emailed and not gotten a response. Considering how busy they are, I would not expect a quick answer at this point.

Has anyone heard from their references yet?

Last year (on SDN) the bulk of reference calls started Wed-Fri the week prior to decisions - so Jan 20-22 for the Jan 29 release last year. We're past Wednesday and with a larger pool of applicants, I think even next Friday will be a stretch unless they start calling in earnest tomorrow. I do think that references being called will be a good indicator that it's getting close though!

They did tell us we would hear mid-late Feb, so even Feb 10 or 17 is on the early end of what they indicated, though I know that's not fun to hear. I do hope that it's earlier, but I bet they are beat with such a large applicant pool and being down an admissions staff member (I'm sure they are working hard and probably about as ready as we are to have it over, lol).

Regardless, we shouldn't have more than a few weeks more to wait!

(PS for the question asked: my references have not been called and would most definitely let me know)

Reactions: 4 users
Last year (on SDN) the bulk of reference calls started Wed-Fri the week prior to decisions - so Jan 20-22 for the Jan 29 release last year. We're past Wednesday and with a larger pool of applicants, I think even next Friday will be a stretch unless they start calling in earnest tomorrow. I do think that references being called will be a good indicator that it's getting close though!

They did tell us we would hear mid-late Feb, so even Feb 10 or 17 is on the early end of what they indicated, though I know that's not fun to hear. I do hope that it's earlier, but I bet they are beat with such a large applicant pool and being down an admissions staff member (I'm sure they are working hard and probably about as ready as we are to have it over, lol).

Regardless, we shouldn't have more than a few weeks more to wait!

(PS for the question asked: my references have not been called and would most definitely let me know)

How do we know that there is a large applicant pool this year?

How do we know that there is a large applicant pool this year?

A person mentioned last year that the decision letters said there were 1400 applicants for c/o 2020, a couple of people on here (including myself) heard that there were 1600-1700 applicants this year (I heard 1600 another person heard 1700). Looking at past years, there's been about an 18% increase per year in applicants since 2016 - which is just a trend, but would also be consistent with 1600-1700 this year. Obviously no one knows for sure, but even a static 1400 would be a large pool when they are building a class of 114 - I don't envy their job right now!

Is there any way to see your GPAs?
If you saved a copy of your VMCAS application, they calculate a lot of gpa options. I'm not totally sure how UGA calculates the science gpa. I recall reading on this forum that it's only their science pre-req's and not all science/math classes. Maybe someone else could answer that part?

The wait is brutal... I went to undergrad at UGA and yesterday I randomly received a message from my undergraduate research professor and had a mild panic attack. Hopefully we hear back soon!

The wait is brutal... I went to undergrad at UGA and yesterday I randomly received a message from my undergraduate research professor and had a mild panic attack. Hopefully we hear back soon!
I agree! Hopefully we will hear back next Friday I know they take like 15 OOS, does anyone know how many people they wait list for OOS and how fast the list moves?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile