UHS Class 2006 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I go to class...I just don't hang out in the teacher's lounge with you DREWDO, so you don't see me around!

Members don't see this ad.

Once again, our discussion has drifted too far down the list, so I'll try to raise us up to the top again. Question: is anyone out there of the class of 2006 considering Bennington Ridge to live?

I'm not a third year anymore, but my comments on where to do your clinical years have stayed the same...it is very important that one spends the clinical years at institutions with both interns and residents! ABSOLUTELY.
Large hospitals with established programs seem to be well prepared for students and their needs. Didactics ALWAYS seem to be better and far more organized. And I find daily didactics with staff physicians to be highlights of my daily experience at these institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to once again bump our thread up. I just got back from a week in Seattle for spring break. I enjoyed reading all of the responses from my time away.

A little about myself. My name is Anna and I'll be in the Class of 2006. I'm from the Kansas City area. I'm 22 years old and will be graduating this May from Central Missouri State University (we're the Mules). Hmm, don't know what else you all would like to know.

I'm excited to spend the next few months conversing on SDN. I think it's great we can go to each other and current UHS students with our questions and concerns.

HOLY CRAP!!!
You guys should've seen the hospital 3-4 years ago! I (with one other fella) kinda got in good with a security guard over there and did a very safe tour of the grounds and of the main level...it was spooky.
That place was once a thriving hospital, and then was abandoned. It had bums all over, people throwing and breaking windows, beer bottles...it was trashed.

They have done a wonderful job with that place (at least from the pictures). You guys are lucky.
Personally I lived in Westport and then 61st and Ward Parkway (Brookside Area). Loved it.

Any current students able to comment on pros and cons on the sites for the 3rd year rotations?

Can any current UHS students offer some comments on the integrated curriculum?

I think the cirriculum is still to new to give any definitive answer on it's ability to prepare us for the boards. This summer the 2nd years will be the first class in the new cirriculum to test out the new structure. Personally I think that no matter how the cirriculum is presented to you you will still have to prepare yourself for the boards. Some 2nd yrs took the kaplan course, others bought review books, others will go over notes. The nice thing the cirriculum does have is and "Integrated Medicine" section at the very end before thewy take the boards. The thought is that it will be a review of the last 2 years to help prepare for the boards. Personally i like the genesis program. It has its down side like all programs, but it is generally a step in the right direction. Of course we will see about that after boards.

HI future classmates. Congrats on your acceptance. I'm looking forward to meeting each of you.

I think I will be heading to KC in early to middle July. I am personally thinking on living in the city of Independence b/c it is a nice city, not too far from the school, and for those of you who have kids the school system is great! As for Overland Park the commute would probably be terrible so I would steer clear of that.

I am currently looking for a roomate so if anyone is a non-smoker who loves cats we should talk.

Bye for now
Ronda

This is my first time checking out the SDN and i just need to use it to vent a little frustration.

The other day i went to my doctor to have him fill out the health forms i need to enter UHS. he's always been someone who has discouraged me from entering the medical profession. he doesn't like his job, and in my opinion, therefore doesn't think anyone else would enjoy it. he's been this way for as long as i can remember-that's not what bugs me.

when he found out i was going to an osteopathic school he asked me why. i simply told him that it was what i felt in my heart. i interviewed at two MD schools and two DOs and found my home-i hope-at UHS. i was raised in a family that believed in reflexology and rolfing. he seemed to think i was just filling him with bs. he of course asked me how my grades were. typical. isn't is possible to choose an osteopathic school purely based on one's beliefs? i truely believe that osteopathic medicine is what i want to practice.

anyway, enough venting. just wondering if anyone else has come across situations like this one where you have to defend your choice to go to DO school. I know that many students do apply to DO schools because they don't have the mcat scores for MD-but i'm sure there are plenty of you out there who feel the way i do.

remember it's not the degree that makes the doctor!!

i look forward to meeting the class of 2006. see you in august!

Hi Gretchen,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your doctor. It seems to me, though, that he would have also made some unkind remarks had you decided to attend an MD school instead. I've run into quite a few doctors as well who really don't like what they do and discouraged me from entering the profession. I realized, though, that all of them had been in medicine a long, LONG time (i.e. were really OLD) and were used to the way (and the $$$) medicine was when they started out. It's a different system today, and just because they wouldn't necessarily "do it all over again" today, doesn't mean they should discourage others from doing it.

If he really was just opposed to you becomming a DO...well, I doubt there would be much you could do to change his opinion--he seems very set in his ways. The good thing is that there are fewer and fewer of these "anti-DO" MDs around as time goes on and as people become more educated. I'm glad you've decided to go to the school that "fits" you, and haven't heeded to the pressures of those who know nothing about our future profession. :)

One good thing about there being very few DOs in Canada is that instead of "Why a DO?" I get "What's a DO?" which is far less confrontational to answer. :)

To respond to the why/what is a DO topic, I get that all the time and I am from Kansas, where there are lots of DOs. I work in a rural hospital as a respiratory therapist, and alot of people I treat are "frequent flyers". They have known about my quest for medical school. When I got accepted at UHS, I told them I was going to become a DO. Almost no one knows what a DO is. Some say, "Isn't that like a chiropracter?" and others, "Oh, that is a step under an MD right?" or even "I have never heard of a DO". So I have been not only defending my decision about going to the osteopathy route, but also education people in North Central Kansas about what osteopathy is all about.

Just thought I would throw that in!!

Chris

Once again, we're drifting too far down. There's another similar thread on the pre-ostepathic forum page, for those that are not a part of that one.

I'm not hearing too many takers for roomates at Bennington Ridge, so I'll have to expand. Is anyone considering, or already has secured, one of the larger suites at Century Towers?

-Tom

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious how many of you are still in college to be graduating this spring. I go to Central Missouri State University presently. I'm so excited for graduation, but it seems like there is just so much to do in my classes right now. Is anyone sick of doing this work now that you know what is to come?

Also--what is everyone planning on doing during the summer. I unfortunately have to take biochemistry to fulfill the requirement. Of course, I'll be working to try to make some money. I work as a pharmacy technician.

I'm hoping to get some relaxation in this summer too though. Does anyone get to take the whole summer off?

I'm posting this in the pre-osteopathic forum also. Sorry for the repeat.

Hey Chris,
I understand what you mean about defending your choice to become a DO. I'm getting a lot of that too. uugghhh! I'm thinking of carrying a VCR in my pocket so that I can play the promotional video for anyone who is not familiar with DOs. :wink:

Hang in there. You'll be the boss of those people someday. :D

Talk to you later. Good luck this weekend finding an apartment. If you find a good one, reserve two apartments! ha! ha!

It is very likely you will have to explain your choice to become a DO for many years to come...I had to explain my choice in residency interviews (I am going to an allopathic residency). But you get used to it. Most people are POORLY educated regarding the topic of Osteopathic Medicine (especially older MD's and nurses of all varieties)...so it is up to you to show that DO's are not only AS GOOD as MD's but in many ways, far superior.

Dear Gretchen,

As others have also posted, answering the question of "Why DO?" is part of the education we as potential DOs are called on to spread. Being from the Boston area & surrounded by MDs (& potential MDs) everywhere from BU, 'Hahvahd', Tufts, etc... I find once I clearly define and support my decision, they are often taken aback, unaware that there (a) are other options and/or (b) people still exist who want to practice medicine and TOUCH their patients. Good luck to all in our quest to educate ourselves & others! I look forward to meeting all of you in August!

~Hillary :cool:

"I didn't go through 4 years of evil medical school to be called 'Mr. Evil'."

Hi AnnaMags--

I can totally sympathize with you--I'm taking the genetics credit right now. :(
I'm also looking for work to make a little bit of money before school starts, too. I'd LOOOOOOVE to have the summer off to just do a whole bunch of nothing before school starts, though! I've been reading on other threads about how people are already getting a jump on studying anatomy and stuff, and I think they are out of their minds! :wink:

It seems strange to be talking about the Summer--it just started snowing again here...

Hi everyone-

Well I hope everything is well with each of you. This summer seems so far away and yet so close at the same time. Anna I'm doing biochem. right now. Today our lab lasted a wonderful 6hrs. Good luck in that this summer. I'm very fortunate and won't be finishing anything up. I will be working 2 jobs though which is almost worst in someways.

Take care everyone and good luck to those still in school with projects, test, etc.

Ronda

I thought that I would take the time to introduce myself to some of my future classmates. My name is Leigh Ann and I recently found out about my acceptance to UHS. I graduated from Henderson State University in Arkansas last December with a B.S. in biology. Since that time I have been working as a pharmacy tech. I am thinking of moving to Kansas City the first week in August...it doesn't take me long to get situated. I am pretty sure that I want to live in Century Towers...so if anyone is looking for a roomate...let me know...maybe we can work something out. Well...I guess that's about it for now...see you guys in the fall!!

Hey there, I am also fulfilling the Genetics requirement right now! Is UHS the only school that has Genetics as a pre-req?
Good luck with biochem, it's not as hard as I though it would be. I am hoping the same holds true for genetics.
I am working up until I go to school as a clinical trials assistant for a major pharm. company, and I have seen how many DO's are out there! Tons of internal med. and endocrinologists! The very specialties I would love to be myself! I get more exicted about becoming a DO everyday.
Is anyone elso out there a medical TV show junkie? Discovery Health Network, TLC, and Doctor's Diaries, just to name a few?

Euro--
I too am fulfilling my Genetics pre-req right now. I am not doing as well as I should be. Ever since I received my acceptance letter, I haven't hardly studied a bit. Genetics is not that interesting of a course to me.
As far as a medical TV junkie.....guilty!!! I don't get TLC, I wish I did so bad. I watch every medical show that I can. I have to admit, I am an ER freak, although I do know it isnt always accurate. I have every episode on tape.
Anyway, good luck with genetics and see ya this fall!!

Chris :clap:

Hey everyone!

I'm taking biochem right now...online! Chris told me how much he loved it, but I can't figure it out. I so wish I had a live instructor to teach this to me face-to-face.

Did anyone else take it online?

And as far as the med shows...I love 'em. Especially ER and TLC's Trauma: Life in the ER.

Talk to you later!

What, TV? Who has time to watch TV? I have been so busy at work lately that the very idea of spending much time in front of the tube is unthinkable. Sleep is too valuable!

This summer, I'm taking the advice of many before me and I plan to do absolutely nothing resembling work or studying. My mind and body need a refresher. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more: starting school at long last or the month and a half of spare time I'll have to lounge around like a bum.

Anna:

Hi, I go to CMSU too. I was accepted in early March and am really excited about attending UHS. I think their may be another CMSU alumni there (Sherry Tate), she interviewed the same day I did. Well have a great summer and I look forward to meeting everyone in August.
Karen.

The hour of TLC's Trauma: Life in the ER is too good to miss! Also, last week the show that followed was "Maternity Ward", filmed in St. Lukes (I think that was the name) in Shawnee Mission! I really don't watch that much TV, but when I do it's medical shows!
Is anyone else applying for the HPSP? I am wondering how long it is before we know if we have it?
As for distance education classes, I will take my Epidemiology final this Tuesday. I started this class overseas and it was way easier than I thought. I am taking Genetics through distance ed, too. I think biochem would be really hard, though the internet, though.

To Karen:

I had heard that you were interviewing in late February from Steven G. Congratulations on your acceptance. I know it has been a long time coming for you.

UHS must really like CMSU students. Go Mules! haha.

What are you planning on doing this summer? And where do you plan on living?

Eurodocmom,

It took about 3 weeks after the selection board met before I learned that I got the scholarship. This was back in October, and I heard it takes longer later in the year. Good luck to you though!

Hi Everyone-
I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend. I know I enjoyed the time off.

Is anyone still looking for a roommate for next year? If you're a non-smoker we should talk.

As for the Medical shows I must admit I'm a junkie too. Lately though it's been tough to have time to see them.

Take Care everyone
Ronda

Hello future classmates--
Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. My family and I journeyed up to St. Joe Missouri for Easter (sister in-laws). Anyway, another sister-in-law of mine got me some newspapers, advertising places to live. I was so incredibly depressed on how expensive it is to live up there. I am going to go up next month some time, and just take about three days, exploring all the towns surrounding UHS, like Gladstone, Raytown, Liberty, etc. If I get any helpful or meaningful info, I will be sure to share it with you all!!

Have a great week!!

Chris

I say we collectively rent a huge building and start our own commune! ha! ha!

I'm with you Chris...I don't know how I am going to afford to live since I will have to get a 2 BR apartment or house for my son and me. I will either have to take extra loans or get a job. uugghh!!!

My vote is for extra loans......I am not planning on working at all, at least at first.
Hopefully I can be job free for a year or so!!!!!!

:clap:

Let me just tell you that your not gonna want to get a job. Whatever free time you do have you will want to cherish.

Hi Everyone,
I recently got my acceptance to UHS, and then I discovered this site - it is absolutely awesome! I already feel like I am a part of the medical school community, and I literally spent all day yesterday just reading through various threads on here.
Now, I am not sure if I will end up at UHS, since I still have a few other schools to hear from which are higher on my priority list, but as days pass UHS is becoming more and more real. Having read through some of the comments made by several current UHS students, I must say that I am feeling pretty good about the school; I think it will be wonderful to meet you all in August and finally set upon this journey that my wife and I have so eagerly been awaiting. What an absolutely fabulous feeling!!!
To all of you who have already been accepted, at UHS or elsewhere, I would just like to say congratulations......I know how you feel. And to those who are still waiting, I know how you feel, too. Just keep the hope up and keep working hard.
God bless everyone!

To be honest, I have nothing to add, but I don't want our thread to get pushed down too far.

For the 10th million time I'll try again. Is anyone who's thinking of living at Bennington Ridge looking for a roomate?

There are better places out there than Bennington Ridge. Avoid it if you can. Its not quiet and the ladies in the office have got major attitude if you every have a problem.

My aunt from KC just sent me a newspaper clipping of some of the local DO's practicing in the KC area that are UHS grads (one DO who works with stem cells). It was pretty impressive. I have also found quite a few DO oncologists, endocrinologists and surgeons on the AMA doctor search website. Just a little factiod for those worried that DO's are only found in the FP, IM, and Pediatric world.
Personally, I think OMM & ostoe principles would be a great benefit when working with long term illnesses like cancer, diabetes, etc.
Anyone else with any thoughts or interest in these fields?

I interviewed at UHS on jan 23 (I was the one from St.Louis w/ my dad). I was acceepted on Feb. 1 and very excited about attending. I graduated from Truman State University in 1999 with Honors in Biology. I will be living in Century Towers. I just wanted to touch base with some of my future colleagues and wish the UHS Class of 2006 congratulations on their acceptance.

dje4927--
I too interviewed on Jan 23rd (I was the one who talked with you the end of the day about interviewing at DMU). Congrats on acceptance and going to UHS! I am very eager to get going. I will probably be living in a surrounding town, since I am married and have kids. Welcome to the class and we will see you in August!!

Chris :D

Some questions: Has anyone out there who plans to live in Century Towers and needs a roomate secured one of the large suites? Or,
Is there anyone who wants to live in Century Towers that has almost no furniture?
I'm asking because I want to live around my fellow UHS students but the rooms at Century Towers are too small for the stuff I have unless I can get one of the large suites or unless my roomate has pracically no furniture of their own (bedroom furniture exempted, of course). Bennington Ridge seemed the perfect fit, size-wise, but nobody seems interested in living there this year. If you fit into one of those two categories, send me a private message, please! :wink:

Hello future classmates--
I was just wondering what kind of scholarships, if any, you all are applying for/receiving? There really isn't that much out there besides the armed forces and the health corp. I applied for the Kansas Osteopathy scholarship as well as the Arthur Miller Fund, both included in a UHS packet I received.
I was just wondering how you all were financing our tiny price of school :)

Chris :confused:

quick question for any 1st or 2nd year UHS student out there...

I graduate from UHS on June 2nd, and arrive the last week in may. In true nerd fashion, I may want to catch a path lecture...what is the schedule like?

I have not seen too much in the way of schlorships, in fact for Chris to have found two was a lot. I found little if anything in the packet the school sent me. It looks like I will be using a lot of loans. As far as living at Century Towers, I will be living in a one bedroom apartment.

I should of checked my spelling on my last post.I meant scholarships not sclorships.

Hey all--
I am just curious if any of you are interested in weight lifting/bodybuilding? I am trying to get back in the routine of working out, and was curious if anyone will be in search of a workout partner? I usually work out alone but it is better to lift with a buddy! Just let me know if you are!!

Chris :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Freeeedom!:
•quick question for any 1st or 2nd year UHS student out there...

I graduate from UHS on June 2nd, and arrive the last week in may. In true nerd fashion, I may want to catch a path lecture...what is the schedule like?•••••First years are done with classes May 7. Not sure about the second years. Two weeks ago Erf gave his "Dead Rock Stars" lecture. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's pretty awesome! I walked in front of his projector at the beginning, and the whole class turned around and heckled me as Erf called me to the front of the auditorium. I was a deer in the headlights until I realized what was going on then I scurried out the door and watched the lecture from the projection booth. Don't ever obstruct Erf's projector!!

YYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! I just found out I got the HPSP scholarship (speaking of scholarship programs). I am sssoooo happy!
Also on the scholarship note...
I got a package from UHS with a pile of scholarships to investigate a few weeks ago. Did you get this?
Hey, did anyone get the UHS Communicator? HPSPers did you see the articles on the aerospace medicine dudes? That was pretty interesting.
Also, medical TV nerds, another new show on TLC called Code Blue. It was on Monday nights @ 8 I think.

thanks drewdo, yep I have seen the lecture. Good luck in your second year...it'll be fun.

Hi Everyone,
I just got alt-listed by WesterU/COMP. And, so, I have fallen in love with UHS all over again! :p While a part of me still wants to go to COMP (since california is home), I think I am ready to face the reality that this is the thread where I belong, and not "COMP class of 2006." As such, here I am, hoping to make the acquaintance of my classmates. Please feel free to get in touch, either right here on SDN or through email. I am looking forward to making some solid, life-long friends while in med school.
with regards

Status
Not open for further replies.