UIC - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Genesis,

On average, how many hours per week do you have to study in the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember. Most people tend to study a lot during the exams, and not so much before and after.

Is anyone going to the UHP welcome seminar June 8th?

Members don't see this ad :)
no... don't know anything about it.... what is it??????????????????

has anyone gotten anything from them yet (mail, email, anything?????).... ugh.. I know I'm like a broken record, but i'm so sick of waiting to hear ANYTHING.

I mean, I guess it hasn't been that long since we had to send in our acceptance deposits, but come on.... I thought we'd hear SOMETHING by now.

I am attending the seminar.
quote=nextgenpharm;5144203]Is anyone going to the UHP welcome seminar June 8th?[/quote]

quote=nextgenpharm;5144203]Is anyone going to the UHP welcome seminar June 8th?
[/QUOTE]

Can you tell us what it is, for those who haven't been contacted?

thanks

quote=nextgenpharm;5144203]Is anyone going to the UHP welcome seminar June 8th?
[/QUOTE]

yes pls..what seminar is this??

and i havent heard anything in the mail either!

I received an email this afternoon stating that there would be a 2 hour open session for students to meet and greet the faculty with any questions you may have etc......

it's probably coming in the mail guys.... don't worry

UHP (Urban Health Program) is for blacks/hispanics.

I haven't received anything in the mail yet. And they haven't cashed my deposit check yet, either. I did get the email (from a non-UIC email, though) to confirm that they received my deposit - but I think the fact that it came from a non-UIC email doesn't matter too much.

I have decided to live in the city, instead of doing the commute from the northern suburbs. Am I making the right choice? I just keep thinking about the extra $10K I'll be spending. =( I guess it's worth it in the end - the convenience of living in the city.

Thoughts?

I haven't received anything in the mail yet. And they haven't cashed my deposit check yet, either. I did get the email (from a non-UIC email, though) to confirm that they received my deposit - but I think the fact that it came from a non-UIC email doesn't matter too much.

I have decided to live in the city, instead of doing the commute from the northern suburbs. Am I making the right choice? I just keep thinking about the extra $10K I'll be spending. =( I guess it's worth it in the end - the convenience of living in the city.

Thoughts?

I decided to live in the city also.. i think it will be a better experience..and I know I wont be in the rush of getting home everyday..rather I can stay in the city and enjoy school and the other perks of the city ;)
I also havent heard anything and did receive that non-uic email also.

well, i haven't received anything regarding the orientation yet either... but did get an email for the UHP question forum....

since we're allready discussing the topic a bit, I'm curious... how "segregated" is Chicago in terms of ethnicities?

I will be moving from Miami, where Hispanics make up 99.9% of the population, lol..... just curious as to all you native's insights on the matter....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - I also received just that one email about the deposit (non-UIC address)... My check hasn't been cashed yet either.

As far as how segregated the city is - some neighborhoods are very very diverse, others not so much. Where I live now - Ukrainian Village/West Town, is very diverse actually. White, Hispanic, African-American, of course Ukrainian... Uptown, Albany Park and Rogers Park on the north side and Hyde Park on the South Side are other examples of very diverse neighborhoods. Some, like Lincoln Park are more known for being "yuppie" neighborhoods. They tend to be less diverse. Humboldt Park is a neighborhood that is primarily Puerto Rican. Pilsen and Little Village have large Mexican populations. Some neighborhoods on the South and West side are primarily African American. Chicago is very very diverse as a whole. Some neighborhoods do seem segregated, but there are many parts of the city that have astoundingly diverse populations.

For the commuting issue - I think living in the city would be preferable. Just speaking from my experience, having commuted from the city to the suburbs for years at my current job, the commute gets old really fast and cuts into valuable time. That's about two hours a day (or more) that are kind of wasted. If you take the train you can read or study, but it still wears on you.
Just my opinion.

Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country. Very few neighborhoods are diverse. There are white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, Asian neighboorhoods, and Hispanic. You don't see mixing. So-called diverse neighboorhoods have clear divisions on where each ethnicity should live.

Chicago is considered by many to be pretty segregated....
but it's not so cut and dry in more "diverse" neighborhoods. It isn't always so divided in all of these areas. I've lived in some of them.

My point is - you don't have to live in an area that is completely segregated. If you want to live in a segregated neighborhood- there's obviously plenty of options for that.

I get frustrated when people say that Chicago is segregated - period, as if there are no exceptions. It's just not true. There's a range of neighborhoods with differing levels of segregation.... granted some are absolutely "black neighborhoods" or "white neighborhoods".... as in any major city.

interesting to see that there is debate about this.... hmmm

miami is segregated too... but in the more elite parts of town we have both white and many hispanic elites (mostly cubans). There are black parts of town where segregation has been the norm since the civil rights era....

I think its time we stop blaming race for our personal bitterness. Whether you are white, black, green or yellow, tolerance is the key to live with another person. Its the same tolerance that couples cannot have that results in divorces. Some of us are just bitter and fail to admitt it. I have seen white that cannot live with other whites, blacks that discriminate against africans. So, as long as there is little or less acceptance of a person by another person, there would always be segregation in our society.

I called UIC admissions today and was told that the packages have been mailed on may 15, so look out guys.

I think its time we stop blaming race for our personal bitterness. Whether you are white, black, green or yellow, tolerance is the key to live with another person. Its the same tolerance that couples cannot have that results in divorces. Some of us are just bitter and fail to admitt it. I have seen white that cannot live with other whites, blacks that discriminate against africans. So, as long as there is little or less acceptance of a person by another person, there would always be segregation in our society.

I called UIC admissions today and was told that the packages have been mailed on may 15, so look out guys.

I completely agree. One of the reasons I love Chicago is its diversity. This is a great city.
Anyway - thanks for calling them and updating us!

I sent my intent to enroll form to UIC. Now what? Do I have to send in my transcripts? Is there some sort of orientation? Should I just wait for an e-mail? I live out-of-state, and I have not filed my FAFSA. I have not done anything. I am not sure if they will tell me what to do or if I am already behind.

Sorry about the semi-off topic post. I have only been to Chicago once so I cannot contribute to this intriguing conversation on diversity. = ]

I think we're pretty much all in the dark..... they haven't really told us anything yet. All I've done so far is submitted my FAFSA (not that they've said anything about that to us yet) and started getting my immunizations done. I know at the interview we were given a form stating the requirements for immunizations and something about having to send our transcripts for spring semester directly to the UIC pharmacy office.

I think June 21 is orientation. ?

I am curious if there will be financial aid instructions or info in the mailing we get from the office of admissions....???

Financial aid will send its own mailings out. It is rather late to apply. You should not expect any Perkins money. The problem is the administrators have not set next year's tuition and so, they can't do anything.

I sent my intent to enroll form to UIC. Now what? Do I have to send in my transcripts? Is there some sort of orientation? Should I just wait for an e-mail? I live out-of-state, and I have not filed my FAFSA. I have not done anything. I am not sure if they will tell me what to do or if I am already behind.

Sorry about the semi-off topic post. I have only been to Chicago once so I cannot contribute to this intriguing conversation on diversity. = ]

If you've sent in your form, with the $300 deposit, that's all that needed to be done for the most part. I would start on FAFSA, and getting your immunizations done (as MPBenJ mentioned. Also, since you're out of state, you should apply for the IL Pharm Tech License as soon as possible. And yes, you would need to send your Spring transcripts directly to UIC. Are you going to dorm, gambit?

The orientation is on June 21st.

Other than that, let's enjoy the summer before we start our P1 year. :)

The last email I received from anything related to UIC was the fact that my deposit and form were received. My check actually cleared a couple of days ago, too. I guess I'm now "official". =)

The June 21st orientation was mentioned when we were doing our writing assessments. Paula Fleming went over some of the things we need to take care of (immunizations, licenses, etc.) and she mentioned to mark our calendars for June 21st (Thursday), because that is when the P1 orientation is. During the orientation my friends have told me we will be taking our ID pictures, etc.

My check just cleared too... :)

I just got an email from UIC COP. They mention the Orientation date - June 21st from 10:30am-2:30pm (approx, I forgot the exact times). We get assigned to a peer advisor, someone that is a P2, probably? They also announced the day and time of our White Coat Ceremony. Which is August 23rd (Thursday) at 7:00pm. =)

I teared a little. I guess I'm still ecstatic. =)

I just got an email from UIC COP. They mention the Orientation date - June 21st from 10:30am-2:30pm (approx, I forgot the exact times). We get assigned to a peer advisor, someone that is a P2, probably? They also announced the day and time of our White Coat Ceremony. Which is August 23rd (Thursday) at 7:00pm. =)

I teared a little. I guess I'm still ecstatic. =)

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring friend to the orientation. I am planning to bring friends for the orientation, i do know that we could bring people for the white coat ceremony but i am not sure about the orientation

Do not bring friends to the orientation, they are not welcomed. However, they will be welcomed at the White Coat Ceremony. Last year's class had their White Coat Ceremony, I believe, the first Thursday of class during lunch. My class's ceremony was larger and it is the Thursday before class started, and during the evening because we're the 150th anniversary class.
Peer advisors can be P2s or P-3s.

Just received the admission package! anyone else? Does anyone know if we need to get the polio vaccination done even if it wasn't required in the form given to us during the interview? I know I have had it done but that was a long while ago when I was a child and I can't find the friggin' records. Also, once we have positive titer reports we don't need to show proof of immunization too, right?

I received the packet, too. I already had my vaccinations and titers done, but I did not know there was a form that a physician had to sign. I guess I have to go back and get that filled out and signed.

Did you guys notice in the letter it said to pay $300 for a deposit, etc.? Is this just a repeat of our initial email?

Hey - I got my letter yesterday too. It finally feels totally official. I'm so excited. :D

The package includes

A letter of admission with steps we need to take (most of which we already know, like submitting our final transcript) - at the bottom it says whether or not we are considered Illinois residents for tuition purposes.

A letter from the Director of Admissions which includes phone numbers for housing and financial aid.

A Fall Semester Registration Information letter, which includes steps to take to get our NetID and EnterpriseID (not sure what they are but we have two ID's to set up).

An immunization newsletter and then an immunization form for our doctor to fill out and sign - includes an envelope for us to send it back in.

I'm a little confused about the immunization stuff too.... the polio vaccination wasn't listed on the form we were given at the interview, and the form for our doctor to fill out says nothing about hepatitis B vaccination. Oh well. I think we just have to do both, but where does the hep B get recorded (?).

Also, on the one had it seems as if we have to show dates of immunization (per the immunization newsletter), but the form for the doctor to fill out gives the option of just showing you have a positive titer. I think just having the titer done showing immunity is OK.

The $300 deposit they mention in the admission letter must be the deposit we've already paid.

It also says we have to send in transcripts from every college we've attended but I know we only have to send in Spring Semester transcripts from this past year. All the other transcripts were taken care of through PharmCAS.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

I just spoke to the Medical Records & Immunization office at UIC. The woman I spoke with confirmed that we do need the POLIO vaccine. Did we need this in the public school system? I do not remember if we ever got vaccinated for it. In any case, I just made my appt with my PCP. Yea, another shot. =)

I also just set up my netid and enterprise id. The netid is for things like email. You just need your UIN (University Identification Number) which is on your acceptance letter as "Applicant ID". It was cool to see they "recycle", because I was at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, they used the same UIN as before. Sorry just a side note. =)

The netid password took a little bit of time for me. It can only be 8 characters long. One letter must be capitalized, and one of the characters must be a punctuation mark.

I'm all set up now, and I looked myself up in the UIC Phonebook. Yes, we are all becoming more official. =) Next up is Orientation. =)

At the University of Illinois, once you have an UIN, it is yours for life. The reason why you need a separate Enterprise ID is because the system is not integrated into the ACCC system.

Is anyone planning on joining any student organizations?

I am looking to. I'm thinking at least 2. It really nice to be involved plus we get to make friends and connections.

There are professional organizations like ICHP and APhA-ASP. There are Greek frats like Kappa Psi and Phi Delta Chi.
There will be an organization day during the 2nd week of class.

Is anyone still waiting for their housing, financial aid award letter, or registration packet too?

Hey-
I haven't gotten any information about financial aid, and I'm not applying for housing.... but I have gotten the first mailing that includes instructions on setting up your NetID and EnterpriseID for email and their online system for registering for classes and things like that.

I noticed in the Student Self Service section we are able to look at our Financial Aid status and our tuition acct. There's not even an option for the 2007 - 2008 school year yet.....

There isn't an option for next year yet because the UIC administrators haven't decided upon all the tuitions yet. Financial aid can't do anything until that's resolved.

Just wondering if anybody might be looking for a roommate? I found a 2 bedroom right by the school for $ 900/month.. Not bad I thought....

Any out of staters?

Just wondering if anybody might be looking for a roommate? I found a 2 bedroom right by the school for $ 900/month.. Not bad I thought....

Any out of staters?

Hey guys, looks like everybody has been quiet for a while now. i just got my polio vaccine done today. I was gonna do the titer for the varicella but the doctor discouraged, saying it was too expensive. It goes for 300 dollars. She suggested instead that i should get the booster. I dont know much about how the school would feel about getting the booster. I will call tommorow to find out but in the meantime, is there anyone in a similar situation? I have completed all my shots except for polio since 2004 at my county hospital center in maryland.

Also, how are you guys doing about housing. Am still narrowing down my search. Plan on staying 2-3 days after orientation to check some few houses i have seen online.

Hey guys, looks like everybody has been quiet for a while now. i just got my polio vaccine done today. I was gonna do the titer for the varicella but the doctor discouraged, saying it was too expensive. It goes for 300 dollars. She suggested instead that i should get the booster. I dont know much about how the school would feel about getting the booster. I will call tommorow to find out but in the meantime, is there anyone in a similar situation? I have completed all my shots except for polio since 2004 at my county hospital center in maryland.

Also, how are you guys doing about housing. Am still narrowing down my search. Plan on staying 2-3 days after orientation to check some few houses i have seen online.

Are you finding housing off campus? Is this the best option in your opinion?

Hey - From the sheet they gave us at our interviews (Requirements for Experiential Program I think it is), I was under the impression that we have to have titers to prove immunity - including for varicella.

I had chicken pox as a baby - I did have the titer done and it showed immunity. (my insurance paid for it).

For housing - I'm lucky I don't have to think about it. I'm staying where I live right now. It's not very difficult to find an apt. in Chicago relatively quickly (versus some other cities) - so I think you guys will be fine.

Just curious - why not student housing?

Hey - From the sheet they gave us at our interviews (Requirements for Experiential Program I think it is), I was under the impression that we have to have titers to prove immunity - including for varicella.

I had chicken pox as a baby - I did have the titer done and it showed immunity. (my insurance paid for it).

For housing - I'm lucky I don't have to think about it. I'm staying where I live right now. It's not very difficult to find an apt. in Chicago relatively quickly (versus some other cities) - so I think you guys will be fine.

Just curious - why not student housing?

It was nice that your insurance paid for it. My insurance wouldn't. I would have to do it one by one now that i know its required. The first on my priority list is MMR which we have to send to the school soon.
About the housing, i just dont want to live on campus. Never done it and never will.

anyone received e-mail from their peer advisor? I have, his name is salvador Guitierrez. Is he anybody else's here?

i have not yet.... have not received the registration packet either.....