UIC interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats, pharm2384! did you get the email recently, as in the past week? just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

To all the out of towners coming into the interview, i would highly suggest the Marriot on Ashland and Harrison.. it is the closest hotel to the school and you could always take a cab from there(without it costing you more than 6 or 7 bucks i would think). I am from Chicago but I have stayed at the place a couple weeks ago and it was nice and very close to UIC :)
by the way my interview is on March 29th at 1230

It is a one-on-one interview.
I will not be at the student interviews.
You will have to have more experential hours than currently required. The only thing I've heard is that by the time we are P-4s, we will have P-1s shadowing us.
From the Marriott, you might as well walk to UIC COP. Walk on Ashland to Polk to Wood, and there you are.
Also, there are not many regular taxis on the west campus of UIC. You rarely see them.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who RSVP'ed for the interview. did you receive a confirmation email? or call the office to confirm/check your interview appt? or is it okay to assume that they received our email and we're good to go?

for those of you who RSVP'ed for the interview. did you receive a confirmation email? or call the office to confirm/check your interview appt? or is it okay to assume that they received our email and we're good to go?

I sent an email confirming that I would be at my interview... I sent it with a return receipt so I would know it was received and opened at least. I didn't receive any email in return. I don't think they'll reply to the RSVP emails we send.
It can't hurt to call them if you want to make sure.

Same thing as above, and i'd take his advise and call them first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks everybody, see most of u at the interview

I believe they sent out 300 interview request but does anyone know what happens if someone turns the interview down. Do they have a set of people they dont send rejection letters to and they pull from that list to make the interview people 300. or what. If only 270 responded to their invitation is it just the 270 they'd interview.

Thanks for the reply and clarification in advance

I believe they sent out 300 interview request but does anyone know what happens if someone turns the interview down. Do they have a set of people they dont send rejection letters to and they pull from that list to make the interview people 300. or what. If only 270 responded to their invitation is it just the 270 they'd interview.

Thanks for the reply and clarification in advance

There's a wait list for interviews. If someone doesn't accept, they'll pull someone from the list.

so, i guess no one has really officially been rejected at UIC yet - maybe they wait until after the interview?

i visited UIC this past week - because a friend of mine goes to school there. i couldn't help but picture myself being a student there. here's to hope! =)

by rejection i mean, rejection without an interview.

On the sign in sheet, it will have your name and the name of your undergrad school on it.
So it will say
Joe Schmo Western Illinois University

I believe there is going to be a interview workshop at UIC COP through the prepharm club on march 15 at 4:30pm.
On a side note, your class is going to have a completely different early experential curriculum than us.

Hi
Is it true that UIC admissions don't like community college students? Just qurious because I am one and planning to apply there since I live in IL.

genesis, that interview workshop - is that open only to current UIC students? or can other non-UIC students attend?

I'm kicking myself because I didn't apply to UIC...it's my undergrad school and I think I had a good chance of getting in...I was too afraid to apply because my gpa is low, even though my pcat was good :(
If God forbid i don't get into any other school, I'll reapply for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think UIC would actually reply to each RSVP.
anyway, I have my interivew on the 29th around 1pm.
Good luck to everyone! I hope we all see each other coming year.

Does anybody heard or know what kind of writing assessment UIC does?

Yes, UIC COP absolutely abhors community college only students. They have been burned by them on several occasions. Maybe 2 or 3 will be admitted per year.
I don't know that much about the interview workshop. It's just I have a class in the same room as where the prePharm club meets.
UIC does not directly give preference to its own students. Although, UIC is either the most popular or second most popular undergrad school.
The writing assessment is more or less to see if you can put together a coherent argument quickly. They want to see if you can truly write.

Thanks for the info Genesis!!!:) This is what I've heard so far

Do you guys have any other recommendations for cheaper places to stay close to UIC?

Thanks!

I found some on S. Michigan Ave. u could look into best western or gcongress plaza hotel. (Congress has a deal of $99 a night) tho i'm not sure u'd find that now tho.

Yes, UIC COP absolutely abhors community college only students. They have been burned by them on several occasions. Maybe 2 or 3 will be admitted per year.
Ouch! I did not have to hear that. I've got good stats but I was always afraid the community college thing would hurt me.
Do you know if that is their actual policy, 2 or 3 a year, or if it just ends up that way?

I don't know if it is policy or it just ends up that way. One of the assistant deans told me they do not like pure community college students. Some of them say a class is organic chem 1 and organic chem 2, but in reality those two organic chems equal one regular, college organic chem semester.

I don't know if it is policy or it just ends up that way. One of the assistant deans told me they do not like pure community college students. Some of them say a class is organic chem 1 and organic chem 2, but in reality those two organic chems equal one regular, college organic chem semester.

Policy or not, I think its bad to lead the community college applicants on if you dont want to admitt them and it should have been stated on their requirements too. If it is true, I see it a form of discrimination. As long as you can get your stuffs together, it should not matter if you went to community college or not.:(

the interview starts next week guys, could u please post your expereince in the interview feedback so it could help the remainder of us who are going to interview later on in the week.

I was looking over the interview section for UIC and noticed that there were going to be student ambassadors there for help and may even sit in on interviews. But I also heard that interviews are one on one with a faculty member only. Could somebody confirm which, if either, is the case. Thank you!

I go to UIC for undergrad. I was in their GPPA program for pharmacy but got kicked out because my gpa went below 3.5. If i apply to their COP, you think they will frown upon that?

Also, I have gotten C's in both Orgo 1 and 2. Will that hurt me when applying to schools... not just UIC but in general?!

You might have a P4 sitting in, but not a student ambassador.
Getting C's in both organic chemistrys is not good.
GPPA status will not help nor hinder you if you try to reapply.
The Student Ambassadors are P1-3s. You can ask them whatever you want. You can also get a campus tour from them, if desired.
It appears that some of the interviews are going to be in the examination rooms. The examination rooms are what we use for counseling practice, P-2 year. There is a video camera in the room, and they can, if they want, tape you. If you are in there, get this cleared up.

Videotaping us? I hope not!!! Um, if they plan on taping our interview I'm thinking they should tell us at the outset of the interview.

Genesis - are the interviews mostly behavior-based... like the example questions they send out?

Has anyone gone through the example questions and thought of responses to use? I'm working on that right now. My interview is on Wednesday.

Anyone out there interviewing tomorrow? Let us know how it goes!!!

I'm nervous........:eek:

A few of my friends that interviewed last year told me that the interviews were conversional (tell me about yourself, why pharmacy, etc) and their interviewers only asked them one or two behavioral questions. Their interviews were with one faculty member (they had no students sitting in) and after the interview the interviewer gave them a tour of the school.
But I'm still stressed about the behavior-based questions, some of them are tough.
Well, good luck to everybody!!!

you are right, they are tough. There is also a problem of whether they would like the instances one would give to the behaviour-based questions. I hope it goes well. Just like MPBenJ asked, if those interviewing tommorow could post some feedback after, it would be really appreciated.

They are behavior based questions. Give an example of a time you were stressed and how did you deal with it.
The camera in those rooms is not apparent unless you are staring at it you won't even notice it. It is in the wall, in the corner.

Much thanks to the person that put the feedback on the feedback portion. It settled my worrying mind. The rest of the people can also help by sharing their views as well. I hope the interview went well for everyone. All the best.

So what did everyone think of their interview experience? I was very stressed and nervous, but I think I did OK. I know I did fine on the essay portion (but the questions threw me a little I have to admit). My interviewer was very very nice and I had a good conversation with him - so all in all I feel pretty good about it.... keeping my fingers crossed! ;)

You should find out within 2-3 weeks, if you made it.
Remember, with the essay, it doesn't matter what you write, but how you write.

My interview went fairly well. =) I was so nervous. I was worried about the "Tell me about yourself...", but never got asked it. The essay was okay. I hope my writing was okay. I had a good interview last time at SIU, but got wait-listed.

Anyone else? Feeback? By the way, the student ambassadors rock! They really helped ease the nervousness beforehand. =) Thanks to those who came out to host us!

Sometimes, It felt like it was too good to be true. I left there feeling like we just went so that we could be seen. My interviewer was not a member of faculty but a clinical pharmacist who graduated years ago from UIC. It was awesome the way we hit it off. The student ambassadors were teriffic.

The problem now is how to get the whole thing off my head till i get notified about my fate. Its really hard and everybody around me are getting sick of it. Its more intense than waiting for my PCAT. Anybody feel the same way?

breeze2baby - i feel exactly the same way! i keep thinking of the 'what ifs'... are you from the chgo area too? i think i'm driving my friends nuts too. so that's why i appreciate SDN forums all the more. it's my outlet. =)

Sometimes, It felt like it was too good to be true. I left there feeling like we just went so that we could be seen. My interviewer was not a member of faculty but a clinical pharmacist who graduated years ago from UIC. It was awesome the way we hit it off. The student ambassadors were teriffic.

The problem now is how to get the whole thing off my head till i get notified about my fate. Its really hard and everybody around me are getting sick of it. Its more intense than waiting for my PCAT. Anybody feel the same way?

I totally feel the same way.... I will be obsessively checking my email - at least 50 times a day I would say - until they send out their acceptance letters.:eek:

No am not from chicago area. Am from the state of maryland, which makes everything more tougher because i heard the in-state students get more attention than out-of-staters. But hey, we'll see in less than 2 weeks. Goodluck everybody.

anyone else checking their email every 5 minutes??

Gosh I hate waiting..2 weeks seem so far away

anyone else checking their email every 5 minutes??

Even though they said 2weeks, i still check my mail every time i ge the chance. The packet said by April 16th we would be hearing something.

Genesis09 were u there on the interview date March 30th the morning session

if the same timeline is followed from last year, i think the results should come out this saturday - if you've been accepted. otherwise later on. but that's just me looking for a pattern. =) whenever i check my email, my heart skips a beat. =)

i was at the mar 28th interview - anyone else?

I noticed the same thing about the timeline from last year... Maybe we will hear this weekend.
I hope we hear soon because I am so tired of waiting at each step through this whole process!!!
I was interviewed March 28.

On March 30th, I was relaxing at home, and not at UIC. I did not want to be a student ambassador because it would destroy your spring break.
OOSer make up about 10% of the student population, and you are going to be slamed with tuition if you come here.
Remember, last year, interviews were a week earlier than this year because the UofI decided to have all the campuses on the same schedule.

The GPPA acceptances just came up, and so, now, the adcom will be exclusively looking at regular applications.

The GPPA acceptances just came up, and so, now, the adcom will be exclusively looking at regular applications.

Genesis - Are those the acceptances for incoming college freshman who are applying for guaranteed acceptance to the pharmacy school once they graduate? ....just curious.

Genesis - Are those the acceptances for incoming college freshman who are applying for guaranteed acceptance to the pharmacy school once they graduate? ....just curious.

Yeah..GPPA program is for college freshmen who enroll in pharmacy school once they are done with the pre-pharm and if they have maintained the required GPA. although i heard UIC is changing the pre-pharm pre-reqs for GPPA students to four years instead of two..im not sure though..

I guess this means we won't find out this weekend if they just started looking at their apps?

also, the number accepted into GPPA won't affect us because they do not go to Pharmacy school until 2 years later, right? Those that will be in pharm school next year are those that are currently college sophomores?

GPPA requires a bachelors, now. People admitted are currently high school students.
I haven't heard any rumor from the EPC (Educational Planning Committee) to require a bachelors in the 2007-09 catalog.

i got my rejection letter abt a week ago.. but i expected this. since i am out-of-state applicant (florida), pcat score sucks (68), no B.S., only A.A. degree from community college, my gpa is strong, i have almost 2 yrs of pharmacy experience, no leadership, little volunteer work experience, strong letters of recommendations. I have been accepted to NOVA and LECOM, i have interview w/ UF next friday..and i am on waiting list for WINGATE, NC

Good luck to you all!!