Uiuc = #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBR727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not the best premed program in the country, but we wish them the best of luck today and throughout the tourney.

Members don't see this ad.

Well not only do they have the #1 basketball team in the country, they have the #1 ranked microbiology department, and have great cell/structural biology departments. Molecular/integrative physiology is very high up there. Carl Woese and Paul Lauterbur recently won nobel prizes (woese won the crafoord prize which is the same as the nobel).

Not the best, but definitely up there.

And yeah, they're gonna win the NCAA tourney. :thumbup:

g3pro said:
Well not only do they have the #1 basketball team in the country, they have the #1 ranked microbiology department, and have great cell/structural biology departments. Molecular/integrative physiology is very high up there.
What/Where is your source on the micro department? I don't doubt is, but I'm MCB...I was just wondering where its ranked...

And, is that the graduate Micro or undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
PBR727 said:
Not the best premed program in the country, but we wish them the best of luck today and throughout the tourney.

If not the best, definitely one of the biggest premed factories in the country.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/race.htm

In addition, one of the top 5 engineering schools in the country. Its up there behind MIT, Stanford and Berkeley. Their psychology program is also ranked very high. The school has lot to offer!

Go Illini!

NEATOMD said:
What/Where is your source on the micro department? I don't doubt is, but I'm MCB...I was just wondering where its ranked...

And, is that the graduate Micro or undergrad

US News rankings.

Microbiology is a department of the school of MCB. If you look at the professors' webpages (Farrand, Slauch, etc), you'll see that many of them are affiliated directory with the microbiology department. The overall program would of course be more highly ranked if it were not for their weak biomedical research in cell biology. The highest ranked schools in cell biology are obviously MIT, Stanford, UCSF.

I think the rankings is for the overall discipline of microbiology, combining graduate, professors, research funding, peer ranking, etc.