Uiuc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyreaper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be attending University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign starting this fall and I was wondering if anyone out there did undergrad there and went to med school. I really don't know the how good the pre-med program is ...but I got full ride, so I thought it would help a lot if I took the offer since I'm "planning" on going to med school. I was looking at the mdapplicants.com and I didn't see a good turnout rate for the students that attended UIUC. Any feedback would be greatly appeciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi- I am currently a junior at uiuc. I have looked at mdapplicants as well and agree that the results are a little depressing. However, I have many friends who have gotten into top programs from here. This year there there have been students accepted to cornell, mayo, stanford, northwestern, chicago, etc etc. So I think the mdapplicants is a misrepresentation. Basically, do well and although uiuc may not serve as a giant plus on your app, it certainly wont bring you down at all. Best of luck

I definitely am not putting down UIUC...it isn't a Harvard by far but its still in the top tier....accounting and engineering at like one of the top in the nations...I was just looking off mdapplicants and it was like really scary..especially the one with a 40 on MCAT and another that had 4.0 gpa...and didn't get into their choice schools. But then again they must of have a serious personality problem :p

Members don't see this ad :)
UIUC is a fantastic school. #3 in engineering, #5 in CS, #1 in microbio, #3 in ECE, #2 in chemistry, etc, etc... UIUC is hardly a crappy school. It's one of the top in the nation.

Here's a little tip: there is no such thing as a "pre-med program". Pre-med is just a set of classes you take in preparation for med school. The chemistry program is incredible at UIUC. So is the molecular and cellular bio (and microbio...). If you have heard anything about UIUC being a bad school for pre-med, the person who told you would be wrong.

I go to UIUC and I will be attending med school this fall. UIUC is definitely a school where you will get out only what you put in. Its easy to do the bare minimum here just to get by, but if you want more of a challenge there are so many opportunities and programs available that can really allow you to rise to your full potential. This year at an honors convocation there were several students matriculating at schools such as Johns Hopkins, University of Chicago, and Northwestern Med School. If you put the effort in, it is certainly possible to achieve everything here at UIUC that you would at other more prestigious schools. And at least this way you'll save a few bucks along the way!

I attended UIUC for undergrad and if I could go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I had 12 med school interviews (NWU, UofC, Vanderbilt, etc.) and the name of my school was never a deterrent. However, regardless of the school you go to, you must work hard if you want to do well, and UIUC provides excellent preparation in all areas, provided that you take the initiative. Good Luck :luck: