optsuker

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
Optometrist
Anyone else notice the increase in inquiries about the new schools as we get to the end of the admission season?

DawgOD

SCO C/o 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Status
Optometry Student
lol.. people want to get into optometry school NOW. not later.

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
I don't see how this is a troll post :confused:. It just seems like an observational statement.

And yes, I could have sworn I saw at least 5 threads about UIWSO on this subforum within the last few days. Can't blame those who wanna be informed about the program as much as they can be.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
I don't see how this is a troll post :confused:. It just seems like an observational statement.

And yes, I could have sworn I saw at least 5 threads about UIWSO on this subforum within the last few days. Can't blame those who wanna be informed about the program as much as they can be.
I feel it's a troll-post in that all it's meant to do is incite ire against the three colleges of optometry established in the 2000s — that's the only thing it can do. Haven't we had enough of that crap in this forum? Have we, or are we all revved up to go at it again?

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Eh. One thing I noticed about AZCOPT is that their website doesn't tell you **** about their program. I mean...i found it REALLY hard to write an essay about why I supposedly wanted to go there when I barely had anything to go off of. If i had known SDN was around when I was writing my essays, it would have been so much easier.

But now that it's near the end of the admissions cycle, maybe people are just trying find out more about their possible schools because the websites etc don't provide much info. Because quite frankly, AZCOPT doesn't tell you much about themselves. Last time I checked, their curriculum isn't posted and I have no idea if they have a clinic. And there is exactly one entry for interview feedback. :-\

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Sure, some schools' Web sites are great (e.g., I.C.O.'s) and others' appear to be straight out of the mid-1990s (e.g., P.C.O.'s).

iiii

7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
It seems obvious that the new schools will fill up last.

If you got rejected everywhere else, you're probably scrambling to find a spot somewhere.

Also with no alumni or current students, how else can you find out anything about these programs. The promotional info the schools themselves provide seems like a lot of "fluff."

optsuker

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
Optometrist
My point is:

For those who dispute that these schools are the fall-back choice for most, this is just more evidence.

I still personally feel that UIW, MidWestern, & Western were not necessary and that their development wasn't initiated by optometrists, but instead by profit seekers. Their existence weakens the profession and when they start to graduate OD's, it will really harm the grads of the other schools who have to compete for jobs with them.

That being said, they're here now, and can't be stopped.
But choosing one of them if you're accepted anywhere else (unless there's a huge fincancial or geographic reason) is a mistake. Way more risks and unknowns and a large percentage of your classmates will be there as a last choice.
You're going to be viewed by many as the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

caliopt23

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status
My point is:

For those who dispute that these schools are the fall-back choice for most, this is just more evidence.

I still personally feel that UIW, MidWestern, & Western were not necessary and that their development wasn't initiated by optometrists, but instead by profit seekers. Their existence weakens the profession and when they start to graduate OD's, it will really harm the grads of the other schools who have to compete for jobs with them.

That being said, their here now, and can't be stopped.
But choosing one of them if you're accepted anywhere else (unless there's a huge fincancial or geographic reason) is a mistake. Way more risks and unknowns and a large percentage of your classmates will be there as a last choice.
You're going to be viewed by many as the bottom of the barrel.
Opening a third OD program in CA is absolutly unnecessary, we all know. But AZCOPT is the first OD program in AZ and I would imagine job prospects for new grads wanting to practice in AZ should be promising.

lilxkgrli

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
Last edited: