UIW to Build New DO School in San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah it's been on the books for a while now. Not a big deal the place has quite a long history to it. It's definitely no brand new school that just decided to open up and start a DO school. It's no LUCOM. But COCA needs to stop opening up schools like they're going out of style cuz there are getting to be too many chefs in the kitchen at this point

So in 2015 we get VCOM-Auburn and in 2016 we get UIW and Larkin if it all goes as planned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a tad out of hand. Haven't heard anything about Larkin in awhile -- maybe the project died?
I doubt it. It is getting out of hand with how many schools are out there, but don't expect it to stop any time soon. COCA makes it easy for anyone with a checkbook to get a medical school and it's a cash cow. With the new merger I think the goal is displacing IMG/FMG and forcing the DO degree acceptance by sheer numbers. Besides, whatever makes more primary care doctors with huge debts to the government is something that the government will support.

Hopefully they follow aacomas and not tmdsas.

I was just thinking that. I wonder if they will have a huge bias towards texas residents like Tcom.

QUOTE="GreyF0X, post: 15338003, member: 544979"]Hopefully they follow aacomas and not tmdsas.[/QUOTE]

TMDSAS is only for state schools, so UIW wouldn't be a member of TMDSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Going to end up being like law schools soon.... Pay 250k education, can't find a job when you graduate

Wasnt there word that they were building it attached to a high school or a nursing school or something? Maybe I am thinking of another school...
It was going to be in the football field of a High School, but that fell through.

Going to end up being like law schools soon.... Pay 250k education, can't find a job when you graduate
The limitation is in residencies. I can totally see our government restricting IMG/FMG before we see a real squeeze to our people. After all, the government just forced united GME. The problems will arise when the number of US MD + DO = number of residency spots. I have a feeling that day is far away, but what is not far away is that most people will be forced into primary care.

My prediction for this new school is positive. It is attached to a real university that has a non-profit status, unlike Larkin. This school is also in Texas where they have a massive amount of undergraduate schools, so I feel they'll be similar to Marian in that they'll get a good chunk of in-area students. I think it is in our best interest to support schools that come from reputable sources, so while I agree we are getting saturated, I vastly support this school over Larkin or LUCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that they even forced (obviously under the table) a united GME actually gives me hope. I think the situation now is currently troubled because they simply "do not have the funds" to make more residencies. But the fact is that they are at least discussing the issue and working on things. It could be worse... they could just ignore the problem entirely and then people would be screwed. Surprisingly this is one area where I actually have faith in the government to pull through. I think there are enough docs (both MD and DO) and there is a big enough need for medical care, that they will work on it when the squeeze starts to really be felt. There are equally large entities out there that the government pretty much ignores or suggests that they deal with their problems themselves.

Admittedly, id apply just because the climate seems nice and San Antonio seems like a relatively friendly city.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly the bottle neck is residencies. I took a look at the ACGME match stats no too long ago, and of the 12,457 US-IMG and IMG applicants, ~50% matched this year. So if they are gonna get squeezed out they have a long way to go.

And if they are not increasing the number of residency slots, can somebody pleas explain to me how match percentages improve for every type of applicant every year? Look at page 23 table 4 of this pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf

Honestly the bottle neck is residencies. I took a look at the ACGME match stats no too long ago, and of the 12,457 US-IMG and IMG applicants, ~50% matched this year. So if they are gonna get squeezed out they have a long way to go.

And if they are not increasing the number of residency slots, can somebody pleas explain to me how match percentages improve for every type of applicant every year? Look at page 23 table 4 of this pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf
When people talk about the residency squeeze they don't mean they are completely frozen. It means that the growth of residencies is far below the rate of medical student growth. In addition, many programs have opened more spots within their residency.

When people talk about the residency squeeze they don't mean they are completely frozen. It means that the growth of residencies is far below the rate of medical student growth. In addition, many programs have opened more spots within their residency.
There is already enough funding overall for residency spots. They just need to be mixed differently. They could cut spots from saturated fields like pathology and radiology and use the funding for more FM or GS spots.

Honestly, in most of the specialty forums people seem genuinely concerned about job markets. Not just pathology, but radiology, anesthesiology, opthalmology, cardiology, and even rad onc.

Jeez, COCA is more recklessly expansionist than 19th Century 'Manifest Destiny' Americans.

There is already enough funding overall for residency spots. They just need to be mixed differently. They could cut spots from saturated fields like pathology and radiology and use the funding for more FM or GS spots.

Honestly, in most of the specialty forums people seem genuinely concerned about job markets. Not just pathology, but radiology, anesthesiology, opthalmology, cardiology, and even rad onc.

FM has plenty of spots, they just have trouble filling them. I always wondered if you can practice medicine after doing only an internship? Does anybody know?

Last edited:
Destroy your boards people. I predict the average for all specialties will be going up.

I support this new expansion-especially knowing that there is only one DO school in the whole state of Texas! Brooks city base use to be a former air-force medical school - so I guess they don't have to start from scratch-from what I've heard...

FM has plenty of spots, they just have trouble filling them. I always wondered if you can practice medicine after doing only an internship? Does anybody know?
Some states will give you an unrestricted license after 1 year internship other states require 2 year, but these physicians might have a hard time getting malpractice insurance coverage. I worked with a few of these physicians at a county department of health and a jail in FL....

I support this new expansion-especially knowing that there is only one DO school in the whole state of Texas! Brooks city base use to be a former air-force medical school - so I guess they don't have to start from scratch-from what I've heard...
It's too bad the MD's are getting their new schools at UTexas and UT-RGV while the DO's get stuck with no name places like this. this might seem minor but, sorry, this is one thing that makes us look like a second class of medical schools.

It's too bad the MD's are getting their new schools at UTexas and UT-RGV while the DO's get stuck with no name places like this. this might seem minor but, sorry, this is one thing that makes us look like a second class of medical schools.

As I said before, no one is going to open up a DO school at a large and reputable school over a MD school. Our main goal at this point should be to simply avoid allowing for-profit schools or stand alone schools with no reason to exist other than to print money.

The limitation is in residencies. I can totally see our government restricting IMG/FMG before we see a real squeeze to our people. After all, the government just forced united GME. The problems will arise when the number of US MD + DO = number of residency spots. I have a feeling that day is far away, but what is not far away is that most people will be forced into primary care.

100% this.

I too feel this is what is going to happen. Aren't there thousands of Primary Care spots that go unfilled each year on the MD side, and I know in the DO world there are lots of unfilled positions as well.

Personally, I think this is the plan. We do not have a shortage of doctors, we have a maldistribution of them. I think there should be spots reserved for people who want to go primary care, if you maintain a certain GPA and MCAT in undergrad and pledge to go primary care in underserved area, you are guaranteed a spot in medical school.

Actually, it'll be "pay 250k for education, can't find a residency when you graduate." Residencies are the limiting factor in physician numbers, not medical school seats.

So in 2015 we get VCOM-Auburn and in 2016 we get UIW and Larkin if it all goes as planned.
My bet is Larkin will not go through with the changes to residency accreditation. There is a good chance they will not be able to meet ACGME standards without becoming a burden in the hospital's profit margins. No OPTI, no COCA accreditation per the way things ate set up right now. I doubt they want to gamble that much of their profit, but only time will tell.

My bet is Larkin will not go through with the changes to residency accreditation. There is a good chance they will not be able to meet ACGME standards without becoming a burden in the hospital's profit margins. No OPTI, no COCA accreditation per the way things ate set up right now. I doubt they want to gamble that much of their profit, but only time will tell.
Maybe, but can they sustain their model without residencies? Serious question. I have no idea how that works from an economic perspective.

Maybe, but can they sustain their model without residencies? Serious question. I have no idea how that works from an economic perspective.
There's a lot of things at Larkin that are going to go south without ACGME accreditation. I can't wait to see what chaos ensues. :D

It is apparently very easy to get accreditation

other schools in the pipeline include RVU-SUCOM (RVU branch campus in Cedar City, Utah), NMCOM (for profit school on NMSU campus, not sure of name), and NYITCOM at ASU (Arkansas). So in 2016, we may have UIW, NYITCOM at ASU, RVU-SUCOM, NMCOM, and/or LarkinCOM.

Yeah it's been on the books for a while now. Not a big deal the place has quite a long history to it. It's definitely no brand new school that just decided to open up and start a DO school. It's no LUCOM. But COCA needs to stop opening up schools like they're going out of style cuz there are getting to be too many chefs in the kitchen at this point
There's actually a need for doctors within the next 20 years so opening new medical schools is imperative

Residency spots aren't growing, though.

Wouldn't mind new schools opening if residencies increased by another 3-5 thousand but that will cost a lot of money.

other schools in the pipeline include RVU-SUCOM (RVU branch campus in Cedar City, Utah), NMCOM (for profit school on NMSU campus, not sure of name), and NYITCOM at ASU (Arkansas). So in 2016, we may have UIW, NYITCOM at ASU, RVU-SUCOM, NMCOM, and/or LarkinCOM.

Eh, RVU has proved that it's not going to crap entirely and Colorado is at least unlike Virginia relatively deficient in medical schools.

NMCOM at least is in a state with little medical schools. For profit status honestly could be worked around.

NYITCOM needs to fix its huge drop out rates in NYCOM. But eh, it's better than Auburn.

UIW could be another Marian or CUSOM tbh.

There's actually a need for doctors within the next 20 years so opening new medical schools is imperative
Wouldn't mind new schools opening if residencies increased by another 3-5 thousand but that will cost a lot of money.

Hate to inherently be a jackass, but the one thing medicine has going for it is the fact that residency limits the production of doctors. I don't want when I graduate there to be 1.2 or 1.5 doctors applying per position in the country.

During the merger talks they hinted at a new 2 tier system where American graduates (MD or DO) match first then after the FMG/IMG get whatever is leftover in an after match. NMSU comes with 300 new residency spots too, so not all schools are expansion without residency.

Hate to inherently be a jackass, but the one thing medicine has going for it is the fact that residency limits the production of doctors. I don't want when I graduate there to be 1.2 or 1.5 doctors applying per position in the country.
That's never going to happen -- especially with the new merger.

UIW is a faith-based school right? Does that mean if you aren't religious, you would have a lower chance of being admitted to the school? I'm not sure how that kind of thing works when it comes to schools, but it would suck that being an atheist would lower my chances when newer schools seem to be easier to get into. Then again, maybe it would be weird going to a school with an emphasis on Catholicism when I don't share those beliefs...?

UIW is a faith-based school right? Does that mean if you aren't religious, you would have a lower chance of being admitted to the school? I'm not sure how that kind of thing works when it comes to schools, but it would suck that being an atheist would lower my chances when newer schools seem to be easier to get into. Then again, maybe it would be weird going to a school with an emphasis on Catholicism when I don't share those beliefs...?
There are like 5 faith based schools and like 130+ secular schools... you are fine.

There are like 5 faith based schools and like 130+ secular schools... you are fine.

Oh I know it's not career-ending or anything, I just figured that it wasn't too far from home compared to some other options, so a new medical school opening up nearby would be great for my chances and my personal preferences. I was moreso wondering whether or not they discriminate based on your religious preferences, which I am assuming they would.

lol catholics are only pretend christians. it's all about that money.

100% this.

I too feel this is what is going to happen. Aren't there thousands of Primary Care spots that go unfilled each year on the MD side, and I know in the DO world there are lots of unfilled positions as well.

Personally, I think this is the plan. We do not have a shortage of doctors, we have a maldistribution of them. I think there should be spots reserved for people who want to go primary care, if you maintain a certain GPA and MCAT in undergrad and pledge to go primary care in underserved area, you are guaranteed a spot in medical school.

In 2014, there were 132 family med, 59 IM, 31 psych, 13 peds, and 8 ob/gyn. These numbers are pre-soap. Nearly all filled post soap.

In 2014, there were 132 family med, 59 IM, 31 psych, 13 peds, and 8 ob/gyn. These numbers are pre-soap. Nearly all filled post soap.

Uh oh.

Is this including AOA as well?

The medical profession might have a problem

Last edited:
Eh, RVU has proved that it's not going to crap entirely and Colorado is at least unlike Virginia relatively deficient in medical schools.

NMCOM at least is in a state with little medical schools. For profit status honestly could be worked around.

NYITCOM needs to fix its huge drop out rates in NYCOM. But eh, it's better than Auburn.

UIW could be another Marian or CUSOM tbh.

I have spoken with a bunch of nycom grads and they all say that isn't a problem. Nycom is a top notch do program.

Uh oh.

Is this including AOA as well?

The medical profession might have a problem

No it is not. After scrambling (and the numbers did shrink a bit also after the NRMP match), AOA GME still had 100-200 unfilled spots.

Immediately after the match, there was something like 1000 spots open, 1/3 were TRIs, 588 were full residencies.

Last edited:
That's never going to happen -- especially with the new merger.
Why not? There are some specialties already experiencing saturation with several more concerned they will soon be as well

No it is not. After scrambling (and the numbers did shrink a bit also after the NRMP match), AOA GME still had 100-200 unfilled spots.

Immediately after the match, there was something like 1000 spots open, 1/3 were TRIs, 588 were full residencies.

This.

679 DOs failed to match in the 2014 AOA match, which is greater than the number of unfilled AOA residency spots (588), so if 100% of the unmatched applicants scrambled for an AOA position (which isn't true) some would be forced to do a one year AOA internship with no guarantee of a full residency.

Last edited: