UK citizen abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
pardon if my general questions have already been answered. i did search the forums but didn't find close matches.

i'm a uk citizen but live in the us. i was thinking about maybe going to london for medical school... interested in UCL. i don't really fully understand how it works for a US college graduate though. as far as i can tell UCL has a 6 yr and 4 yr program, much like a lot of the international programs. how difficult is 4yr admissions for local applicants (gpa)?
also, what's the average age of the students at the start of a program like this?
last, what's the approx cost for locals?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

pardon if my general questions have already been answered. i did search the forums but didn't find close matches.

i'm a uk citizen but live in the us. i was thinking about maybe going to london for medical school... interested in UCL. i don't really fully understand how it works for a US college graduate though. as far as i can tell UCL has a 6 yr and 4 yr program, much like a lot of the international programs. how difficult is 4yr admissions for local applicants (gpa)?
also, what's the average age of the students at the start of a program like this?
last, what's the approx cost for locals?

Thanks in advance
Four-year programs will be a stretch (more competitive) but several internationals have been accepted. Keep in mind that you will likely be paying 5-10x more tuition in the U.K. vs. a local applicant, so that makes you a little more attractive.

As for GPA: I have seen people accepted with GPAs as low as 3.2 in the U.K., though not to the schools you mention. If you are around 3.5, you should be fine. The six year programs have a lot of very basic science in the first year and they're not appropriate for an applicant with an undergraduate degree from the U.S. unless you are desperate (quite appropriate for a U.S. high school graduate, though, and I know a few who have taken this route). Shoot for five-year programs.

Check their website for cost of tuition. They usually spell it out clearly.

The locals (from high school) will be 18-19 on average (right out of high school).

UCL used to, and probably still do allow those that already have a degree to miss the extra BSc year and do 5 yrs instead.

Generally, a GPA that is acceptable in your home country is acceptable to schools in the UK. I get the impression from this site though that this varies at US schools. Anyway, in the last few years UK schools have taken to asking for specific GPAs so check the websites. Also, not all 4yr courses accept foreign students so check carefully before you apply.

About 10% (30-40) of those on the 6yr course at UCL will be non-traditional- i.e. not straight from school, so anything from about 21-30, the rest will be 18-20.

In fact I just checked and UCL doesn't recognise degrees from outside the UK anymore so you would have to check whether you could get in based on your high school stuff and if you could I expect you would have to do the full 6 yrs. Or, they have the UPCSE which is suitable for foreign applicants and fulfills the entry requirements. It is a very long way round though, I think it is a year long, they advise you to apply after completing the course rather than during it, so you would have a year off basically then, if you get in 6 years of med school, so 8 yrs.