UKY ortho

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by KYbird, Dec 4, 2008.

1. KYbird

Dentist
    To new University KY ortho residents. UKY ortho program sucks. a very biased, racist, sexist and unfair program. beware of program director.

2. zoothslooth

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks for the info but could you tell me your honest opinion??

3. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I share your sentiments. Not for the residency program, but the feeling I got when I was interviewing there for dental school admissions.

4. KYbird

Dentist
    University of Kentucky ortho residents are worked like slaves The amount of mental games is like oral surgery residency. the program is ridiculous and very hard coreThere are tons of mind games. Once one professor does not like you-U are screwed. KY ortho likes to only accept applicants from its own state. They dont like people of color, women, or multicultural candidates. anybody else heard anything about this program??

5. KYbird

Dentist
    Can U share what U mean. Its good to share with SDN how bad University of KY dental really is

6. umc27

umc27 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is your connection to UK? Are you an ortho resident?

7. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Sure, I was specifically asked my religious views during my interview. When I said that I didn't see how that was of any importance I was told that "it was important for the school that they choose someone that would fit in with the other students and curriculum."

This came about after I was asked very specific personal questions about my relationship with my wife.

I would rather not go into specific details, but my interviewer made me feel so incredibly uncomfortable that I decided I wouldn't attend the school if I had a free ride for 4 years. Well...maybe a complete full, free ride.

I was called back by my interviewer late at night a few weeks after the primary interview asking me even more specific and VERY personal questions.

To be perfectly honest, that interview and that school in particular gives me the shivers. The students looked happy enough...but my interviewer gave a new definition to the lable "bible belt."

#7 KOM, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  8. Jone

Jone Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Kind of strange, considering (if I'm correct) that their Director is a woman of multicultural status.

9. charlestweed

Dentist Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    My asian female friend did her ortho there in 2000. She didn’t mention anything about the racist problem. I also know one asian ortho instructor at UK ….he also did his ortho at UK and he has a very successful practice in Louisville.

8 years ago when I was still an ortho resident, I went to UK for an Invalign lecture. I noticed a couple of the ortho residents there who were non-white. Maybe, things have changed.

10. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    They are a state schools so if they favor state applicants even for their ortho program, they are within reason to do that.

So? If they don't want these candidates, they won't interview or rank them. It's hard to prove anything since the program can just claim the other candidates were more qualified than the colored, female, or multicultural ones. When you have a program that only takes 3 residents a year, I'm sure it's not hard to find 3 very qualified candidates out of the 100+ applicants that fit whatever agenda they want to fill. I'm not saying it's right, but what's your point?

11. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I happen to know an out of state Asian matched there this very year so your claims are bogus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Guy Smiley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dr. Tran??

13. charlestweed

Dentist
    Yes, I think every dentist in Louisville knows who he is. Toward the end of our residency, he invited all the 2nd year residents to his beautiful ortho office and gave us a practice management lecture.

14. vorosvirag

2+ Year Member

Bird,

Not too cool to make statements like this unless you can back them up. This word comes to mind: libel.

Main Entry: 1li·bel
    Pronunciation: \ˈlī-bəl\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, written declaration, from Anglo-French, from Latin libellus, diminutive of liber book
    Date: 14th century
    1 a: a written statement in which a plaintiff in certain courts sets forth the cause of action or the relief sought barchaic : a handbill especially attacking or defaming someone
    2 a: a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression b (1): a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt (2): defamation of a person by written or representational means (3): the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures (4): the act, tort, or crime of publishing such a libel​

Someone I know went to KY a few years back. I wonder what his thoughts are on these claims. Don't remember hearing things quite to the level you've taken them. I remember he had his share of complaints, but so did I.

#14 vorosvirag, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  15. KYbird

Dentist
    didnt mean to cause so much commotion felt that i had to give future KY residents a heads up as to whats going on in the program. Dr Tran is a colleague of mine and I think everyone respects him and what he has done to help out the program.
    DrTacoelf, you can tell your out of state asian friend who matched this year, you know the one from MCG, that even state schools have to have diversity picks. so kudos to her on being this years splash of necessary color. i didnt say that the program would not accept out of staters or diverse applicants, they have to as a state school fulfill requirements that the dean puts out there but.... they dont have to like it and their views are quite antiquated. i was in the room when the other faculty were making the match rank list and they referred to certain applicants as just that diversity candidates that they had to rank. i dont agree with this but feel it is time that others know about the outdated going ons and opinions of this program. best of luck to all. i know when i was in residency i sure wish someone had shared more of the negatives with me.

16. oralsurgeryJI

2+ Year Member

:corny:

17. ukdmd09

zoothslooth cannot confirm 100percent the claims but im a uk dental student and went to uk for undergrad predent and heard these rumors off and on over the years. Can tell U that UK ortho residents handtrace all cephs and arent really taught to use dolphin. Faculty spend more time picking at power point presentations (spelling, graphics yadda yadda) rather than teaching ortho treatment concepts. Its a masters program but residents spend way too much time on powerpoint. Also heard through grapevine that new residents had to scrub the lab! Been surprised at how little the residents know about appliances. Had to play the game by applying there since the professors know me and I really want to do ortho, but gotz to say am so glad I matched somewhere else. O yeah, during the interview U had to take a test and they called it a survey- had to put our name on it so we could be easily identified-harsh!

18. charlestweed

Dentist
    Wow, we were really spoiled at Louisville….an easy 2 year program with a Master degree.

In dental school, I usually learned better from strict instructors...difficult tests made me study harder. I don't see anything wrong with hand-tracing all the cephs (I still do at my practice)…it is always good to learn to do things the hard way when you are in a residency program. When you get out you can do whatever you want. Again, there is nothing wrong with scrubbing the lab floor…if you let someone else clean your own mess, you will never learn to do the lab works neatly. At our program, we had to make all the appliances and clean our lab too.

19. Impacted Molar

Dental Student
    As an ACTUAL fourth year dental student at the University of Kentucky I can say--without a doubt--that 99% of what has been posted on this thread is a complete fabrication.

Sounds to me like KYBIRD is simply upset that their application was not given more serious consideration by the program. Based on the fact that UK Ortho has a very diverse resident pool and faculty, I would imagine that KYBIRD's character was most likely the causative factor in their denial from the program--I think that this thread alone is a testament to one of KYBIRD's obvious character flaws.

In addition, UKDMD09 is absolutely not a fourth year student that MATCHED in orthodontics. There were only two students that interviewed for orthodontics at UK and I know for a fact that BOTH students have nothing but good things to say in regards to the program.

So let me ask UKDMD09...where did you match??? Or are you simply trying to substantiate your false claims???

In the end, I am without doubt that the three year orthodontic curriculum at UK gives its students an OUTSTANDING foundation for a career in orthodontics. Obviously no program is perfect but I think it is sad that ppl have nothing better to do with their time than to sit around and make defamatory (not to mention libelous) comments about a great program--an institution in which many residents/faculty/alumni take a lot of pride.

ps - my favorite part was the sexist program director who is a FEMALE!! Uh, the current male:female is basically 1:1; and scrub the lab....c'mon.

20. UKdent

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    http://www.mc.uky.edu/Dentistry/students/ortho/facstaff.html

There is the website... Pls look at the current residents and tell me its not diverse.. Just thought i would let the others on here see who actually attends UK college of dentistry ortho program..

sorry you didn't match and are trying to scare people away so you can try again

21. runfast520

runfast520 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I completely disagree, I know one of the faculty members very well, she makes sure every AA applicant with average scores gets an interview(for ortho and predoc), she is extremely liberal, one of those liberals brought up with a ton of money

22. zoothslooth

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Whether these statements are true or untrue, what a crappy position to be in if you just found out a week ago that you matched with UKY ortho (already having a seed of doubt/negativity planted before the program has even begun). Hopefully the new residents have better things to do with their time than read all this garbage, let them decide for themselves. If all of this is true, why wasn't this brought up before or during interviews on SDN? Why a few days after match did this come about? Seems kind of strange to me. Disgruntled student? resident? I have no idea what goes on at UKY but I sure would feel a bit discouraged and maybe disappointed with my match based on some rumors that may or may not be true. Matching anywhere for ortho is exciting and a good attitude to begin the program goes a long way. For what it's worth.

23. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You are clearly an idiot, as evidenced by the fact that you would even think to make the above post.

Even if you weren't an idiot, you would be totally wrong about the program. I know the residents at UKY - they all seem happy to me. They have a really small program - only 2 or 3 residents per year - but they still manage to have women and minorities.

No program is perfect - but UKY is clearly not one of the "lesser" programs in the country.

And a piece of advice to anyone that would complain about "scrubbing the lab" as a first year - Please do us all a favor and go jump off a bridge. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #23 Jaybe, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008