UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an OOS, I haven't received an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Not everyone who has been interviewed post here, please keep that in mind. But to answer your question, yes people from OOS have been interviewed.

Of course people from OOS have interviewed.......I was just interested in the most recent invites......hence, my nicely placed "lately"?

I know a lot of schools interview predominantly IS early on and move towards a 50/50 mix or even swing towards OOS later in the season.
Just wondering where we were on the spectrum....
I have pretty good stats for this school and am just trying to gauge how many more 2ndaries I am really going to finish. I have serious 2ndary burnout, financially and otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course people from OOS have interviewed.......I was just interested in the most recent invites......hence, my nicely placed "lately"?

I know a lot of schools interview predominantly IS early on and move towards a 50/50 mix or even swing towards OOS later in the season.
Just wondering where we were on the spectrum....
I have pretty good stats for this school and am just trying to gauge how many more 2ndaries I am really going to finish. I have serious 2ndary burnout, financially and otherwise.

then call them.

good luck

I interviewed on oct 21 and i'm in state and I didn't get a call. Been in tears for 3 days now. I may be overreacting but I really wanted to know on friday that I got into my dream school. we'll see what happens.

I interviewed on oct 21 and i'm in state and I didn't get a call. Been in tears for 3 days now. I may be overreacting but I really wanted to know on friday that I got into my dream school. we'll see what happens.

don't lose hope!!!
they didn't necessarily call in order of interview dates so your call can still be coming! if you think you can't stand to wait any longer give them a call and inquire when you might be hearing from them.....also, if you get waitlisted remember that doesn't mean it's game over, i know a bunch of people who were taken off the waitlist last year, and some of them didn't even have a few months on the list before being taken off and accepted! good luck!

Same here!! I interviewed October 22 and I'm in state. I've been really scared too. I really was not expecting to be put on a waitlist or anything, but hopefully they will still call today...or email...or ANYTHING.

Same here!! I interviewed October 22 and I'm in state. I've been really scared too. I really was not expecting to be put on a waitlist or anything, but hopefully they will still call today...or email...or ANYTHING.

ugh. falling in love with a place 5 minutes into an interview sucks. im a mess right now, I can't even concentrate on work. i feel like an idiot calling them because she said "we will contact you." if i get an update I will let you know.

ugh. falling in love with a place 5 minutes into an interview sucks. im a mess right now, I can't even concentrate on work. i feel like an idiot calling them because she said "we will contact you." if i get an update I will let you know.

I know...I love this school too. (I'd really rather not go on any more interviews. Getting in here would officially end my med school search.) Did you mean you called today? There was really no more information available? :scared:

I know...I love this school too. (I'd really rather not go on any more interviews. Getting in here would officially end my med school search.) Did you mean you called today? There was really no more information available? :scared:

yeah I don't want to call today and say did i get in? whats up? because she said they will contact us.

They told us that if we didn't hear from them on the 20th that we shouldn't worry yet and to call them. Perhaps you could word it, "I was told that the committee would meet on Friday and if I didn't hear from them that I should call to find the status of my application." I don't know, but I would definitely call.

Good luck NilamPatel and staicuia!

thanks :) im gonna call tomorrow afternoon. i wont be able to enjoy my mashed potaotes on thursday unless i know something.

i feel like this place is my part time therapist!! i should be paying someone $300/post

thanks :) im gonna call tomorrow afternoon. i wont be able to enjoy my mashed potaotes on thursday unless i know something.

i feel like this place is my part time therapist!! i should be paying someone $300/post

LOL. I completely agree.

maybe there are some future psychiatrists in here lol ;)

let us know what happens when you call, we are all routing for you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey so i just got an interview invite and i was wondering where OOS ppl stay... any hotel recommendations?

hey so i just got an interview invite and i was wondering where OOS ppl stay... any hotel recommendations?

There are no really good hotels around here. You might mostly be left with motels like Howard Johnson and Holiday Inn. This is NJ, so don't expect a royal treatment or anything. Aside from that, they are mostly equivalent. I would personally choose the closest one to the school, the HoJo in Blackwood maybe. There are other nicer places in Voorhees, though, which, depending on the time of day, may be a shorter drive to the school. Good luck!

I called and April knew exactly who I was and was waiting for my call lol. she was like you were put on the alternate list and it wont move until january. So now I'm gonna send in an extra LOR from my new boss of 4 months and write a letter of intent. its a long process and like my signature says - nothing worth having comes easy so, this is where I am. I won't give up hope and will do anything short of something illegal to get in.

so with that - how do I write a letter of intent? what does it have to say and how do I go about structuring it? I know that I should send it soon, but I also what it to be perfect.

If flying in, it is probably best to stay in Philly. There is a PATCO stop close to the school that I believe is walkable. PATCO goes from center city Philly in to Camden County, NJ (where the school is). Any hotel in center city (north of South St., south of Vine St., and between the Schuylkill and the Delaware rivers) or by the airport should be decent.

Ok sounds great...thanks!

I'm coming from upstate jersey actually but since I have to be there at 9, and a 2 hour drive that early sounds torturous with the turnpike, I fig I'd come the night before and crash at a motel or something...

Hahaha no worries I don't need anything fancy, I just wanted to know what the areas are around there...and if there were any suggestions on a hotel/motel...I did actually also hear that voorhees is a good place to look.

I'm coming from upstate jersey actually but since I have to be there at 9, and a 2 hour drive that early sounds torturous with the turnpike, I fig I'd come the night before and crash at a motel or something...

Hahaha no worries I don't need anything fancy, I just wanted to know what the areas are around there...and if there were any suggestions on a hotel/motel...I did actually also hear that voorhees is a good place to look.

i came from central jersey (i think it took about 1.5 hours, maybe a little less) and i hit zero traffic....going south on the turnpike is waaaay better than going north at that time, just wanted to let you know the drive wasn't too bad!

I called and April knew exactly who I was and was waiting for my call lol. she was like you were put on the alternate list and it wont move until january. So now I'm gonna send in an extra LOR from my new boss of 4 months and write a letter of intent. its a long process and like my signature says - nothing worth having comes easy so, this is where I am. I won't give up hope and will do anything short of something illegal to get in.

so with that - how do I write a letter of intent? what does it have to say and how do I go about structuring it? I know that I should send it soon, but I also what it to be perfect.

i am sorry you didn't get the news you wanted but i think you have the perfect plan of action set up, and imo i think how important this is to you is really going to show through and make a difference....i have written a letter of interest before (pretty similar obviously) and i'll send you a message about what i wrote but for now i have to go to bed since i have to be at work early tomorrow :thumbdown:

I don't live in NJ, but I work in the area of the school. Mount Laurel, Voorhees, and Cherry Hill definitely have hotels. Most towns have motels (some are sketchy - beware).

wait but if i get a place in voorhees i should be ok right?
i dont want anything sketchy!!

wait but if i get a place in voorhees i should be ok right?
i dont want anything sketchy!!

Nothing sketchy about hotels in Mt Laurel or Cherry Hill...
Best bets and easy freeway access are off of 295 in Cherry Hill/Moorestown. There is a Marriot Courtyard and what used to be Clarion at the 295/70 intersection and also an Extended stay america( I think it is called). It is just about 1/4 mile east of those to the Springdale road that goes right up to Stratford and UMDNJ. In Voorhees there is a Hampton inn right off Springdale road. Closer to Philadelphia in Cherry Hill is the Hyatt and the Holiday inn.
In Mount Laurel at the 295/73 intersection,there are a bunch of dumpy motels but avoid those and go for the Hyatt Place, Double tree guest Suites, Fairfield Inn, homewood suites and marriot.

PS I have stayed at the Marriot Courtyard when transitioning out of NJ and they had not only wonderful accomodations but also a huge breakfast( not a dumpy roll and coffee as well as a mini dinner/snack in evening)

Last edited:
Nothing sketchy about hotels in Mt Laurel or Cherry Hill...
Best bets and easy freeway access are off of 295 in Cherry Hill/Moorestown. There is a Marriot Courtyard and what used to be Clarion at the 295/70 intersection and also an Extended stay america( I think it is called). It is just about 1/4 mile east of those to the Springdale road that goes right up to Stratford and UMDNJ. In Voorhees there is a Hampton inn right off Springdale road. Closer to Philadelphia in Cherry Hill is the Hyatt and the Holiday inn.
In Mount Laurel at the 295/73 intersection,there are a bunch of dumpy motels but avoid those and go for the Hyatt Place, Double tree guest Suites, Fairfield Inn, homewood suites and marriot.

PS I have stayed at the Marriot Courtyard when transitioning out of NJ and they had not only wonderful accomodations but also a huge breakfast( not a dumpy roll and coffee as well as a mini dinner/snack in evening)
ooooo thanks!!! good to know!

Any out of staters who interviewed late Oct. hear anything yet?

Hi Everyone!
I just got accepted to UMDNJ-SOM last friday. When she told me, I was smiling so big and I was so excited I forgot to say anything back to her so she thought I hung up the phone!!

I hope everyone still waiting gets good news. They told us people on wait lists got accepted as late as the day before fall term started.... so if it is your top choice don't lose hope.

I was actually wondering about housing too. I am interested in getting a townhouse and finding one or two roommates. I have done some research and timber ridge, stonington, the village at voorhees, and the pines keep coming up as good ones.I guess we will meet newly accepted students in April at the housing fair... or I thought I heard something about a "new student day"... anyone know anything about it??

Hi Everyone!
I just got accepted to UMDNJ-SOM last friday. When she told me, I was smiling so big and I was so excited I forgot to say anything back to her so she thought I hung up the phone!!

I hope everyone still waiting gets good news. They told us people on wait lists got accepted as late as the day before fall term started.... so if it is your top choice don't lose hope.

I was actually wondering about housing too. I am interested in getting a townhouse and finding one or two roommates. I have done some research and timber ridge, stonington, the village at voorhees, and the pines keep coming up as good ones.I guess we will meet newly accepted students in April at the housing fair... or I thought I heard something about a "new student day"... anyone know anything about it??

Are you talking about Stonington Court? I've actually lived about 4-5 minutes from the school for the part 13 years. Please trust me when I tell you, you DO NOT want to live in Stonington Court. Of course, if crackheads screaming and fighting in the middle of the night is your thing.... lol cross that one off your list. You will regret it.
(You can never go wrong with Voorhees. If you can swing it financially, that can definitely be a fantastic place to live.)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody is familiar with the admissions process at UMDNJ for out-of-state candidates...

I have been complete at the school for some time, and have competitive numbers (cum - 3.5/ science - 3.5/ MCAT- 29S) and the requisite extracurricular activities but have yet to receive any information regarding whether or not I will be receiving an interview...

If someone would be willing to comment, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, best of luck to all

Hi guys, I was accepted to UMDNJ-SOM 2014! I got the call on Friday the 20th and was super excited. I still haven't received the admissions packet in the mail though...still anxiously waiting for it.

Does anyone have suggestions of good places to live near campus...also, what is rent like?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody is familiar with the admissions process at UMDNJ for out-of-state candidates...

I have been complete at the school for some time, and have competitive numbers (cum - 3.5/ science - 3.5/ MCAT- 29S) and the requisite extracurricular activities but have yet to receive any information regarding whether or not I will be receiving an interview...

Been waiting for months, haven't heard a peep.

Hi all,

Don't give up hope! I have been accepted and I am an Ohio resident, stats not too different from yours! Good luck!

Congrats, pineapple85!

Jag, call them again! I'd love to have ya as a classmate :D I almost asked you today if you've heard from them yet but figured it wasn't appropriate in whatever thread it was.

Yeah, I need to chase a few leads soon before I need to start putting deposits down etc.

has anyone who was accepted on 11/20 received the acceptance packet yet?
...i thought it would only be a few days but perhaps the holiday slowed things down

has anyone who was accepted on 11/20 received the acceptance packet yet?
...i thought it would only be a few days but perhaps the holiday slowed things down

It took them a few weeks to mail the packet to me, so I wouldn't worry. This was back in September.

Oh...and congratulations!

Are you talking about Stonington Court? I've actually lived about 4-5 minutes from the school for the part 13 years. Please trust me when I tell you, you DO NOT want to live in Stonington Court. Of course, if crackheads screaming and fighting in the middle of the night is your thing.... lol cross that one off your list. You will regret it.
(You can never go wrong with Voorhees. If you can swing it financially, that can definitely be a fantastic place to live.)
thanks so much for the advice about stonington. i won't even waste my time looking there if that is the case. i know voorhees is really nice- hopefully i can find a few affordable options there.
congratulations to everyone accepted again!!!!! can't wait to meet you all...!

p.s. i am anxiously awaiting my packet as well. hope it comes soon! :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I am in the same boat with you.....similar stats.....out of state.......still wondering.

Thanks elftown!

Accepted 11/20 and still haven't received the acceptance packet... Anybody know how long we have before we need to turn in a deposit? How much is the deposit...?

does anyone know if the class is filled up by now, or when it does? Also, when do the interview up to?

does anyone know if the class is filled up by now, or when it does? Also, when do the interview up to?
I doubt it is filled up. I don't know for sure, but I think they continue interviewing over the next few months. I interviewed the first week in November, and some students said that was really early, and they didn't get interviewed until December and January. I assume it depends on how many spots are left, and how many accepted students actually accept UMDNJ over other schools... but I know they told us people have been accepted up to the day of the white coat ceremony! Granted they were people on the waitlist, but the point is... if you want to get in, you still have time.

Thanks elftown!

Accepted 11/20 and still haven't received the acceptance packet... Anybody know how long we have before we need to turn in a deposit? How much is the deposit...?
I think the deposit is around $185. That is what it was for last years class. Maybe it went up a bit though. We have two weeks to get it to them once the packet arrives.

I think the deposit is around $185. That is what it was for last years class. Maybe it went up a bit though. We have two weeks to get it to them once the packet arrives.

speaking of that packet.....

dear packet,

please make your way to my mailbox safely, preferably soon.

thanks,
x

It's still $185. $100 to hold your seat, and $85 for the background check.

anyone else interviewing Dec. 9th? I can't wait!!

Anyone know an easy way to get there from NYC?

Anyone know an easy way to get there from NYC?

Depending where in the city you are in, you can either take the GWB or the Lincoln Tunnel to the NJ Turnpike going south. From there you get off at exit 4 and take 295 south to exit 29, Rt 30. Take Rt 30 east and make a right onto Laurel Rd.

speaking of that packet.....

dear packet,

please make your way to my mailbox safely, preferably soon.

thanks,
x

Hey not really sure if i got the post formating rite but I got in like all you guys its a great feeling for all those interview good luck like you have read its laid back and def try to go on the tour.

I just got the UMDNJ SOM packet from UPS, long awaited for a while there I thought I dreamt the Friday phone call...

Congrats.. and Good Luck

has anyone had any interview invites lately?

Yesss! The packet arrived today! The wait is finally completely over. Got the call on the 20th so everyone who is still waiting it should be a matter or minutes or a day or two!