UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i haven't heard anything yet either!! AHHHH i interviewed the 28th...I'm IS too.

I interviewed on the 26th!! Its been a long wait for me. Plz update if you guys get a call!

Members don't see this ad.

OOS. Interviewed 1/28. 4:47 pm, no call.

Cheshyre- you interviewed the same day as me. you may have been in my interview group...which person were you?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS. Interviewed 1/21- so it has been an excruciating wait, but I received a call at 2:30pm. I've been accepted!!! :love: Good luck to everyone else! :luck: I hope to see more people posting their acceptances.

I don't think anyone is hearing anything today. Maybe they are behind cuz of all the snow?? We won't hear anything until Monday I guess since the office is now closed

Thanks for the reply man, that's a bit re-assuring

5:53 Eastern. No Call still interview 2/17. I hope they are behind and just call monday. Im near tears :(

5:53 Eastern. No Call still interview 2/17. I hope they are behind and just call monday. Im near tears :(

So if i understand correct only one person receved a call todai? I hope they are behind because of the snow...I will be looking forward to monday now

So if i understand correct only one person receved a call todai? I hope they are behind because of the snow...I will be looking forward to monday now

No kidding, because that was just about the worst cap to a week ever.

I'd been having an amazingly good week too.

Last edited:
I got the call today at 2:30. I was interviewed 1/19 and I'm IS.

I called on Thursday found out that they were reviewing about 86 people.

I got the call at 2:15pm today from the person who interviewed me. Interviewed on 2/3, and I'm in state. Congrats and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no Monday calls? I guess it's not looking good for me. :( On the positive side, at least I have other acceptances... just wish this one had worked out too.

But congrats to everyone accepted and best of luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

Hey everybody --

I just called the admissions office because I couldn't wait anymore. Unfortunately, I'm going to be doing more of that, now from the alternate list. They said that the people reviewed on Friday haven't been ranked yet into the waitlist but they should be by the end of this week if we want to find out. Formal letters detailing waitlist status should be coming this week.

Definitely not the result I was hoping for, but at least I'm still in the game (I hope?). Roll with the punches and such.

Good luck to all.

Cheshyre, my avatar is actually a "bumper sticker" from my girlfriend's facebook. (I'm no ma'am). I hope you all make it in a good spot on the list. Good luck with the rest of your applications. :)

... Oops.

Sigh. I want off the waitlist now.

Also placed on the alternate list :/ In state. Interviewd 2/18

wow i feel like i interviewed here forever ago! 9/30! they told me in about sixteen days you'll here back, and i did 10/15 lol got the call around 3:00pm

does anyone know if they are still interviewing

I was complete back in November, but havent heard anything from them (OOS-NY). My friend called them last week and they said that they were done with the application process and no longer scheduling interviews. I kind of gave up home with UMDNJ about a month ago

I was complete back in November, but havent heard anything from them (OOS-NY). My friend called them last week and they said that they were done with the application process and no longer scheduling interviews. I kind of gave up home with UMDNJ about a month ago

I talked to the admissions office on Friday (2/26). They told me that interviews would probably go on until mid-April. On the other hand, they also mentioned that the class was "full."

In any case, I would call them and check up on your application if I were you. It wouldn't cost you anything besides a moment of your time.

For those of you on the waitlist, there is hope.
I was on the waitlist starting dec of last year and got in during july 2009. About a month before school started. a lot of people got off the waitlist around that time. During March I believe they have an accepted students day and they usually take a picture, I can't regonize close to 40% of the students. They are not part class of 2013. So it shows that the waitlist does indeed move. make sure you guys show that you really want to go to UMDNJ. It is an amazing school, no doubt. If you guys have any questions just PM me.

Does anyone know the board scores/pass rates for UMDNJ-SOM?

Can't remember where I saw it, but one place quoted 98%-99%. I just have a bunch of school stats written down on a piece of paper with no context so I don't know if it's first-time takers or even which COMLEX it is. I also have a note next to it that says "USMLE is popular."

brownsoul, kinda new at the PM thing. I replied to your message...let me know if you got it :)

I interviewed last month and I found out I was waitlisted. I'm heart broken over this. Does anyone how many people usually make it off of the waitlist?

Alot of people were taken off the waitlist like a month before school started. a buddy of mine's brother and another buddy got off waitlist. one chose to go and the other decided to go somewhere else b/c he had already made alot of arrangements.

I interviewed last month and I found out I was waitlisted. I'm heart broken over this. Does anyone how many people usually make it off of the waitlist?

i'm pretty depressed right now. :-( do you know if half or more people on the waitlist get in?

Jersey --

I'm waitlisted as well.

I've been searching around on the forums and talking to people for a while now. I don't want to get your hopes up because things do change each year and may change dramatically (Western COMP had an issue last year with over-accepting candidates, resulting in little waitlist movement), but here's what I recall seeing/hearing. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

1. People get accepted as late as August. Apparently one person was accepted during the White Coat Ceremony or close to it last year?
  2. As of last year, people from the "top 50%" were accepted off the waitlist. Does this mean that half of the waitlist got in? Possibly not, but I don't know. Perhaps some people at the 50th percentile sent in updates that got their application boosted in ranking. NOTE: That's complete speculation by me.
  3. There was some blurb in a really old UMDNJ thread about how not all of the people on the top ten of the waitlist actually got accepted in 2004. Again, I don't know whether that's because people under them were taken instead for various reasons or because the waitlist didn't move very much.
In any case, the admissions office said that the waitlist likely won't begin to move until after mid-April. Just by reading through threads, it seems like people do get off the waitlist all through the cycle, but a lot of movement happens in June. I can't be certain though, since not all of the waitlisted candidates post on SDN (obviously).

Sit tight and stay positive. The application process is pretty harsh, but this is what we all signed up for. I've personally been trying to push forward, gathering info, preparing some contingency plans. I can't just do nothing - that'll lead me into depression for sure.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
best luck to you cheshyre. I am so impatient now. first I had to wait to get my mcat score, then waiting to get verified from aacomas, then waiting to get an interview, now waiting to get off of the waitlist.

ughhhhhh waiting is killing me

Jersey - I think life is going to be like this forever, haha. We'll always be waiting on something.

The worst part is that I need to start applying to post-bacc programs, just in case everything goes wrong this cycle. A lot of them have application due dates in May, and if the waitlist here really starts to move in June, well.. yeah.

Just had my interview with a student and a DO. Slightly stressful because they kept shooting question after question and took notes while I talked. Good, informal tour. Very impressed with the school. Can't wait until 3/19!

I'm so upset. I had an interview early January, and was placed on the waitlist that week. At that point I was in the top 10% of the waitlist, but by the next update I was in the top 33%. This is so frustrating because I love the school and am in state. Anyone else share these frustrations?!

I'm frustrated as well. Do you know if anyone has been taken off the waitlist yet or will it not move until April or May??

I'm so upset. I had an interview early January, and was placed on the waitlist that week. At that point I was in the top 10% of the waitlist, but by the next update I was in the top 33%. This is so frustrating because I love the school and am in state. Anyone else share these frustrations?!

Reading last year thread, alot of people got in off the waitlist. Looks like about 100 people were offered spots. I hope this holds true this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I meant to say 100 people on the waitlist and about 50 got accepted.

the class is full and there are already 162 people on the waitlist this year. :scared: lets hope the list starts to move soon.

how did you find out about this. when i called they told me they cant disclose this kind of information. do you know when the waitlist will start moving?

I think that a big part of the reason for so many people getting in off of the waitlist last year is because the class size grew by roughly 20 people from the 2012 to 2013 class, and the *completely unverified* rumor I heard is that the class size was increased a little more than they expected to because of some financial reasons. All in all, that probably amounts to 10 extra people being admitted, but if that determination was made in say, July, could be why so many people off of the waitlist were accepted - a lot of people have made decisions by that point, and they may have made 40 calls to people on the waitlist to fill those 10 spots. I have no idea what their plans are for next year, but I'm not sure if what happened last year will be of any value in predicting what will happen this year. Either way, keep your head up, and remember that if you really want to do this, a couple bumps in the road are worth it, and very often the experiences that you have when things don't go as you plan are some of the most enriching experiences that you'll have. Hopefully good news will come your way though.

I think that a big part of the reason for so many people getting in off of the waitlist last year is because the class size grew by roughly 20 people from the 2012 to 2013 class, and the *completely unverified* rumor I heard is that the class size was increased a little more than they expected to because of some financial reasons. All in all, that probably amounts to 10 extra people being admitted, but if that determination was made in say, July, could be why so many people off of the waitlist were accepted - a lot of people have made decisions by that point, and they may have made 40 calls to people on the waitlist to fill those 10 spots. I have no idea what their plans are for next year, but I'm not sure if what happened last year will be of any value in predicting what will happen this year. Either way, keep your head up, and remember that if you really want to do this, a couple bumps in the road are worth it, and very often the experiences that you have when things don't go as you plan are some of the most enriching experiences that you'll have. Hopefully good news will come your way though.

Thanks TheBlueBlazer for the very kind words! :)

waitlist should start moving next month.

what i do recommend, apply for the GSBS program as well. They take med school courses. so before your first year of medical school you would have taken a few courses and have advanced credit(would not have to take the course again). Also I feel most GSBS students finish in one year and get into medical school.

Do any current students know what the projected increase in tuition is for the upcoming year?

Do any current students know what the projected increase in tuition is for the upcoming year?

i'm not a current student but if you log into the umdnj portal under the financial aid tab it has the CoA for 2010-2011 listed as $80k :eek:

obviously this is a crazy overestimate (it has something like $25k allowance for living expenses i think) but it says that tuition/fees = $35k, which is probably not as over-estimated as the other aspects of the CoA

i'm not a current student but if you log into the umdnj portal under the financial aid tab it has the CoA for 2010-2011 listed as $80k :eek:

obviously this is a crazy overestimate (it has something like $25k allowance for living expenses i think) but it says that tuition/fees = $35k, which is probably not as over-estimated as the other aspects of the CoA

Where did you find that? I don't see a CoA estimate for 2010-2011.

Where did you find that? I don't see a CoA estimate for 2010-2011.

when you click on the financial aid tab on the right-hand side of the screen is a box labeled "additional resources" with the options to click on in that box being "your financial aid award," "your cost of attendance," and "your account summary by term period"

i could click on CoA and pick july 10-june 11 as an option which gave me the following breakdown:

Budget Detail
Budget Component Amount
Books & Supplies $10,000.00
Personal $5,000.00
Room & Board $25,000.00
Tuition & Fees $35,000.00
Transportation $5,000.00
Total: $80,000.00

Budget Detail
Budget Component Amount
Books & Supplies $10,000.00
Personal $5,000.00