UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

I was wondering what was your undergrad gpa and MCAT or GRE score? if you don't mind sharing

Also what courses are you taking there?

I didn't take the MCAT or GRE but my undergrad was about a 3.2. I'm a pre-dent but the pre-meds here do have some competitive MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad.

hey triumph i see that ur a pre-dental student..was wondering how many students got to take the 2 dental school courses? does it look bad if u aren't allowed to take them and what do those students do who can't take them? how many get into umdnj-njds or other dental schools? faculty support/guidance? anything else that would be help would be appreciated. thanks for taking time and answering!!

I believe a very small number take the two dental school classes. I actually does not look bad at all if you do not take it. The students that don't take them end up taking fundamentals 1 and 2 which is biochem and cell bio (definitely not easy classes).

As far as the number getting into NJDS, I don't have an actual number but I believe a far amount do and many more will get into other dental schools. You are required to see a faculty advisor when you register for classes each semester so that is helpful to steer you in the right direction for your future endeavors. All the faculty here are extremely nice and definitely will go out of their way to help you out, which is a big reason why I choose to come here.

In terms of living arrangements, most students live in the 180 W. Market St. apartments which is connected to the med school. It is convinient on days that it is raining or snowing in which you can walk in the tunnel that is connected and never deal with the outside.

hey triumph thanks for answering my questions. Make the umdnj program seem a lot better. I was really worried about the classes and support system but they seem great. Have you gotten in anywhere or had interviews? Also do most people apply before they start the program or wait to finish and then apply? thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied like 2 weeks ago. Waiting for them to receive my transcripts from my schools.

Hopefully with a 6-8 week turn around - I should know by May 1st.

I picked Newark as I have a brother that goes to school at NJIT and I don't particularly wanna leave in Stratford. Not that Newark is all that glamorous...

hey guys..i know its a little late in the game to be asking this now that BOTH of my applications are in and almost complete (pending GRE)..but does anyone know if either campus has a minimum GPA requirement??

Hey guys,

I just thought I'd drop in and let you know that I got my acceptance to the GSBS at Stratford over the weekend! Newark is my frist choice due to the proximity to my house and due to the fact that I will be saving money by not having to move. They said that I need to give them my answer no later thank March 4th, so I am hoping Newark gets back to me before then. I hope all is going well with you guys!

Hey guys,

I just thought I'd drop in and let you know that I got my acceptance to the GSBS at Stratford over the weekend! Newark is my frist choice due to the proximity to my house and due to the fact that I will be saving money by not having to move. They said that I need to give them my answer no later thank March 4th, so I am hoping Newark gets back to me before then. I hope all is going well with you guys!

congrats on ur acceptance! :love: i just got my acceptance today from Rutgers/UMDNJ-RWJ. im waiting on newark mbs. should know within 2 weeks!

congrats on ur acceptance! :love: i just got my acceptance today from Rutgers/UMDNJ-RWJ. im waiting on newark mbs. should know within 2 weeks!

Congrats on that...just so i understand, you got accepted to the post-bac program at Rutgers or is it some other program?

Hey guys,

Congratulations Titan...hopefully Newark lets you know ASAP...

Congrats on that...just so i understand, you got accepted to the post-bac program at Rutgers or is it some other program?

No its the regular masters program. Newark is my first choice cuz its geared towards med school.

Good luck to everyone! We will find out soon! :)

No its the regular masters program. Newark is my first choice cuz its geared towards med school.

Good luck to everyone! We will find out soon! :)

Ooooo ok...thats cool, but yeah GOOD LUCK, hope you get in!!

Yeah, I'm hoping to hear back soon,I'm not sure what will happen if I accept the spot at stratford and then tell them I wont be going because I was accepted to another program. I wish they would give me a little bit more time!

And congrats JXC, hopefully we will be seeing each other in Newark.

hey guys, new to the thread. I am also applying to the program. I didn't get into dental schools after first shot so I figured the masters at UMDNJ was best shot. I am sending out my application this afternoon. Do you guys suggest I apply to both stratford and newark to increase my chances of getting in. Hopefully I get into at least one of them haha.

hey guys, new to the thread. I am also applying to the program. I didn't get into dental schools after first shot so I figured the masters at UMDNJ was best shot. I am sending out my application this afternoon. Do you guys suggest I apply to both stratford and newark to increase my chances of getting in. Hopefully I get into at least one of them haha.

I would apply to both (i think mostly everyone on here did, though they have a preference). Especially if location/traveling is not a problem from you. Not sure if you are familiar with the area, but Newark and Stratford and like 1 hour and 45 minutes away from each other...

Members don't see this ad :)
and to respond to dr. chuck, i don't believe they have a min gpa. When I called and asked they said that the avg gpa of people accepted was around the 3.0 range. This was for the school in newark.

EDIT: haha thanks man. good to know. Yea i know they're quite far from each other. I just figured applying to two is better than applying to one, just in case.

yeah definitely agree with you..i applied to both..

thnx for the min. GPA information..

and to respond to dr. chuck, i don't believe they have a min gpa. When I called and asked they said that the avg gpa of people accepted was around the 3.0 range. This was for the school in newark.

EDIT: haha thanks man. good to know. Yea i know they're quite far from each other. I just figured applying to two is better than applying to one, just in case.

yeah definitely apply to both if you want to increase ur chances of getting into the biomed program. I did not apply to Stratford bc I know for a fact I don't wanna live there. I got accepted to my backup (RU/UMDNJ-RWJ) but it's not the MBS program. Still waiting anxiously on my 1st choice Newark...

hey man...whats the ru/umdnj-rwj program? i never heard of this ...could u post a link?

Cool, thanks I will take a look. Though 2 years turns me off a little.

Hey guys,

Yeah, I applied to both the Stratford and Newark programs just because I was paranoid of not getting in after getting all my med school rejection letters, haha.

I called Newark this past Friday and asked about accepting my invite to Stratford as a backup while waiting for their decision and they said to accept because they were not reviewing masters applicants until March any way. The only thing I would have to do is to tell Stratford that I am going to Newark if they accept me, so that situation is a little clearer now.

I also wanted to run something by you guys. I am planning on retaking my MCATs this June because I feel that my 28 is really low for med school; however as I am preparing for the exam I am becoming more and more worried that I will not be able to raise my score. I am even more paranoid that I will get a lower score than last time. Since I applied last summer my gpa went up from a 3.60 to a 3.66, and if all goes well this semester it will go up to 3.7. And now with this acceptance to a grad school I was wondering if retaking the MCAT is absolutely necessary to get into med school next round. I have just been freaking out lately about doing worse on my MCATs this summer and not getting into med school despite the increase in gpa and acceptance into grad school

my advice is to talk to a few colleges and see if they'll give you a reason to why you were rejected. with a 3.77, it seems your gpa isn't really the problem for you not getting accepted. so it's either your MCAT score or the rest of your application. extra cirriculars, personal statement, etc. you're better off knowing why you got rejected and working on that aspect. i know that for me, i talked to the dean of admissions at umdnj and he flat out told me that it would be my gpa that would most affect my chances. that's why i applied to the masters. you might just be wasting time and money by doing the masters if that isn't really what is holding you back from being accepted. better off figuring that out first. good luck =)

Quick question guys,

So can I be submitted into the program before I send them my final transcript? I mean I sent them a transcript of everything except obviously my final semester...I am sure it's a ******ed question lol..but I wonder if they just wait to see the final FINAL transcript before they can accept..or do they just wait? And to those that have applied to more than one program, does that answer apply across the board??

I think it works like this: you send them your current transcript right now, along with lors, essay, app form, etc. They decide to reject or accept you and if accepted, then once you graduate you need to send them a final transcript to show you have a received a bachelors degree.

I think it works like this: you send them your current transcript right now, along with lors, essay, app form, etc. They decide to reject or accept you and if accepted, then once you graduate you need to send them a final transcript to show you have a received a bachelors degree.

makes sense 2 me :thumbup:

Anyone know what the turn around time on the applications is? I think I saw on here it was 6-8 weeks.

Anyone know anything more?
Thanks

Anyone know what the turn around time on the applications is? I think I saw on here it was 6-8 weeks.

Anyone know anything more?
Thanks

If you applied to stratford, it's rolling admissions so get all ur stuff in ASAP and they will look at it. i applied in the beginning of Dec to Newark but they don't look at any of the apps until this month. After this month, its probably gonna be rolling admissions until the class fills up

Hello All!

If anyone has questions about the UMDNJ-Stratford program, feel free to shoot me a PM (I was enrolled from 2007-08). I can answer a few questions about the UMDNJ-Newark program since I am at New Jersey Medical School, but I am more familiar with the Stratford program. Good luck to all of you!

P.S. Don't be discouraged if I take a while to get back to you, but I will respond as soon as I can!

Just got the completed letter which was mailed on March 10th. Anyone know when they start reviewing applications? Hope to get some news soon!

I got my letter a while back and was dated Feb 20th - I heard they start reviewing in Feb and go from there. I am assuming a 6-8 week turn around time. So, April 3rd earliest for me, and April 21st for you.

Waiting is always the hardest part!

i just called to ask when the committee is meeting up and the lady said that they have one scheduled soon. they basically meet once a month and review complete apps. i cant wait any longer!!

good luck to all those applying! im sure we're all nervous and anxious. Personally, I don't know what options i have if i don't get in haha. So let's all hope for the best and hope we all get in! =)

btw. did you get the completed letter thing from stratford or from newark. or both? cuz i only got one from stratford.

EDIT: okay i called newark. I didn't get the letter but it seems my application is complete. They said the next review date is in 3 weeks. And after review, a week until I find out whether I got in or not. So tentatively speaking, I should find out about april 14th. =/ i hate waiting! haha

EDIT 2: haha i should just find out everything first before i make multiple edits. I just called stratford and the application there was already sent to the committee and I should be hearing back in 2 weeks. So 2 weeks for stratford and 4 weeks for newark =/

Last edited:
All right so I have another question..lol
I just took my GRE and I was in the process of sending my scores but didn't see a choice for UMDNJ in Stratford..did see one for UMDNJ biomed nwk and UMDNJ grad school..choose both of those..so now what? Wait for official scores and then forward them or should I assume that Stratford will receive the scores?? Not sure if both campuses have the same GRE code..

EDIT 2: haha i should just find out everything first before i make multiple edits. I just called stratford and the application there was already sent to the committee and I should be hearing back in 2 weeks. So 2 weeks for stratford and 4 weeks for newark =/

are you serious?! 4 weeks for newark? they told me that they were gonna review completed apps end of feb/early march for those already completed. i had no clue that the next review date will be in 3 weeks. i thought it was gonna be sooner than that for the first review... or are u talking about the 2nd review?

All right so I have another question..lol
I just took my GRE and I was in the process of sending my scores but didn't see a choice for UMDNJ in Stratford..did see one for UMDNJ biomed nwk and UMDNJ grad school..choose both of those..so now what? Wait for official scores and then forward them or should I assume that Stratford will receive the scores?? Not sure if both campuses have the same GRE code..

I chose both too although I only applied to Newark. They received them. As for Stratford, just call them because it didn't say Stratford on the GRE score page. GRE will most likely forward the scores to them but just to make sure definitely call them

how many reviews are there? there's more than one? the lady didn't specify. she just said that the next review date is in three weeks. I took that to assume the first and only review. Where did you hear that there is/are more than one review for your application?

how many reviews are there? there's more than one? the lady didn't specify. she just said that the next review date is in three weeks. I took that to assume the first and only review. Where did you hear that there is/are more than one review for your application?

no they review ur app once but they meet every so often to check for other completed applications. ie: i sent mine in december and its complete so it will be in the first review. if another person just sent their application then it will prob not make it to the 1st so it will be in the 2nd review. i guess ill be waiting a little bit longer for the first round of completed apps. this sucks. i cant wait any longerrr

oooooo i see what you're saying. if you finished in december im sure yours had to have been reviewed by now. and she said the "next" review date is in 3 weeks. Since i recently finished and submitted my app, i'm sure I didn't make the first review date. im sure you'll find out before me. Good luck! let us know when you find out so we congratulate you =)

jxc and userah thanks for finding out the review date info. I hope we are able to hear some good news soon...its my #1 and I really want to go here bad.

you and me both haha. let's hope we all see each other next year =)
we'll have a leg up over the other incoming first years mwahahaaa =P

I sent mine in December too, so I am hoping to hear back really soon! I really want to get into this program!

:::Edit::: I just got my acceptance in the mail 5 minutes ago!!! So if you sent in your app early keep an eye out!! Good luck everyone, hope to see you all next year!

Last edited:
I sent mine in December too, so I am hoping to hear back really soon! I really want to get into this program!

:::Edit::: I just got my acceptance in the mail 5 minutes ago!!! So if you sent in your app early keep an eye out!! Good luck everyone, hope to see you all next year!

congrats!!!! is that for Newark? I can't check my mailbox until I get home from class at around 3 :(

Congrats Titan!!!! I'm probably in the 2nd review batch since I was complete on March 10th. The waiting part sucks.

congrats titan =) albuterol, you and me are in the same batch. we'll find out in like 4 weeks unfortunately. booooooo

I am really excited. And the waiting part sucks hardcore, but don't worry too much! I'm sure I'll be seeing you all in the fall:)

I am really excited. And the waiting part sucks hardcore, but don't worry too much! I'm sure I'll be seeing you all in the fall:)

I'm in a different state now so I'm just waiting for the mail to come. Prob in the next few days hopefully! You should start a fb group since ur the 1st to get in!

yeah i just took the GRE so that means I have a longer time to wait and I am already feeling the pain lol. Oh man, I have to wait for the complete letters/emails AND THEN for the review AND THEN for the decision letters. And now I am wondering should I stay in Newark for the program or go to Stratford..decisions decisions decisions. Any advice?? I think a FB group should def be started because soon people might be looking for roommates and whatnot..BUT GOOD LUCK GUYS..and as soon as someone knows..LET US KNOW :)

If I were you I would put down your deposit at Stratford and then wait out for the Newark program if its your #1 choice. Seems like from the thread that Newark is most peoples #1. Maybe going to Newark might give u a better chance at getting into NJMS since you would be closer and get a chance to form a good impression on the Deans and vice versa for UMDNJ-SOM. I agree someone should start a FB thread! Then we can all join once we get our acceptances.