UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I just created a facebook group for our program, here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57818004454#/group.php?gid=57818004454&ref=mfhttp://www.facebook.com/groups/edit...ze&gid=57818004454#/group.php?gid=57818004454

Feel free to join or make suggestions about the group!

Members don't see this ad.

id much rather go for the newark program than the stratford one. Main reason being that stratford doesn't offer an non-thesis program whereas newark does, unless im mistaken. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally do not wanna be writing a thesis statement haha. I just wanna take my classes, do well and move on to dental school. I don't wanna deal with having to write a thesis. That's my opinion anyway. And besides Stratford is like waaaay down south, practically in the middle of nowhere. Granted Newark isn't the greatest place in Jersey, but at least it's close to the city =/

Yeah I think Stratford has a non-thesis option..but I hear ya about it being in the middle of nowhere..pretty lonely out there..maybe like 20-30 minutes to Philly..

Members don't see this ad :)
are you sure it offers a non-thesis program? when i was doing the application, there was no option for non-thesis. Just thesis masters... Well let's hope you're right just in case i don't get into newark =/

haha now I'm not too sure..I'm going to double check the website. I just have a good friend who was accepted for Spring 09 admission through the non thesis option.

But that all shouldn't matter userah..u are definitely going to get into Newark!! Keep faith..you will definitely hear good news soon :)

I'm pretty sure stratford has a non-thesis option..otherwise i wouldnt have applied there haha

does anyone know how many students they accept for each year???
the size of class??

does anyone know how many students they accept for each year???
the size of class??

newark is about 100-120. they accept about 15 for MMG med school course

That's a lot more than what I expected..
btw, what is MMG??

Molecular and Genetic Medicine – 7 credits, Fall semester w/ limited enrollment. (for those contemplating application to the Medical or Osteopathic School)

It's 1 of the 2 core classes 1st year NJMS students take.

How do they determine which students are allowed to take the Molecular and genetic medicine courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey titan, since you're already accepted, when does the semester start? I need to plan my work schedule for Kaplan accordingly

Molecular and Genetic Medicine – 7 credits, Fall semester w/ limited enrollment. (for those contemplating application to the Medical or Osteopathic School)

It's 1 of the 2 core classes 1st year NJMS students take.

So I guess this doesn't apply to pre-dent??

pre-dents can choose between dental physio and biochem ..not sure which is in the fall. I'm sure the criteria is probably high GPA /DAT.

how bout a high DAT/low GPA lol

haha damn. my chances are slim then. anyone know about the start date of the semester though? i gotta figure out my list of classes

The letter I got said that orientation is on August 19th, so I think that classes start around then.

Btw, does anyone know the average MCAT/gpa for this particular program?

july 1st for MD/PHD students but Sept 2nd for us? unless im reading wrong. that seems weird.

I'm guessing because they are both doctoral and MD students their program starts earlier in the year than ours.

I think if u get selected to take Medical/Dental you start earlier than the rest of the gsbs students.

Do they let you know if you are eligible for the med school courses or do you have to see if you can take them at registration? Maybe I should just email the program and get us all some concrete answers, lol.:laugh:

Do they let you know if you are eligible for the med school courses or do you have to see if you can take them at registration? Maybe I should just email the program and get us all some concrete answers, lol.:laugh:

they let you know by email. they wait until a lot of ppl are in the program then make decisions. u cant take them at registration, they do it for u

Oh, I see. So if they think you are competitive enough for those courses they will inform you via email and let you make the decision on whether you want to take those core course or the other ones.

is there anyone who attended UMDNJ SMP and accepted into dental school NOT in NJ??

man i'm like for and against taking the biochem and physio classes. On one hand it gives me an upper hand, but on the other, its added pressure haha.

man i'm like for and against taking the biochem and physio classes. On one hand it gives me an upper hand, but on the other, its added pressure haha.

i just had my physio midterm (5 credit class!) and it was horrible. i do not wanna take that next year!

i agree man...while it gives u an upper hand in that its actual dental school courses that added pressure is crazy! I honestly, dont think its that big of a deal seeing how only 10 students out of such a large class size take the dental school courses. Plus from other threads in the pre-dent forum people are getting masters in any hard sciences and getting into dental school. I'm sure u know this but the only point should be to do well, dental courses or not.

Called Stratford today to see if my application was complete...and Krystal said a decision has been made and they couldn't tell me over the phone but I should be receiving it this week! I'm pretty nervous, hopefully I get in!!

Called Stratford today to see if my application was complete...and Krystal said a decision has been made and they couldn't tell me over the phone but I should be receiving it this week! I'm pretty nervous, hopefully I get in!!

good luck! does anyone know any updated info on Newark?

Hey guys, does anyone know Dr. Wagner's correct email? the one on the website ([email protected]) does not work since I am getting one of those demon return emails.

I had posted this on the general SMP thread but it would be better suited here. Any responses would be great.

Hello guys,

Would anyone have the admissions rate to MD schools for graduates of UMDNJ MBS newark program?

For example, Drexel's IMS has like a 85% success rate which is off zee hook.

Just got accepted into the MBS but am weighing my options.

My stats for those who are interested in profiles of accepted students:
GPA=~3.0
MCAT=30
Rutgers NB 2005, Bio Sci.
big pharma scientist since I graduated
have been shadowing docs since i graduated
grew up in Camden, NJ

Good luck :thumbup:

I had posted this on the general SMP thread but it would be better suited here. Any responses would be great.

Hello guys,

Would anyone have the admissions rate to MD schools for graduates of UMDNJ MBS newark program?

For example, Drexel's IMS has like a 85% success rate which is off zee hook.

Just got accepted into the MBS but am weighing my options.

My stats for those who are interested in profiles of accepted students:
GPA=~3.0
MCAT=30
Rutgers NB 2005, Bio Sci.
big pharma scientist since I graduated
have been shadowing docs since i graduated
grew up in Camden, NJ

Hoenstly, I have never seen that information on their website (maybe someone else can chime in) about the percentage of success rate. I would call the school or email [email protected] and ask there..there reply quickly so that might work..

which campus did you get accepted to??

Hoenstly, I have never seen that information on their website (maybe someone else can chime in) about the percentage of success rate. I would call the school or email [email protected] and ask there..there reply quickly so that might work..

which campus did you get accepted to??

Hi Dr.Chuck, I got into the Newark MBS.

As for that email that doesnt work, check out this page at the bottom:
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/prospective_students/index.htm
Dr. WAgner is the person who will sign off on your acceptance letter for Newark, btw. That's why Im trying to ask her questions.

Good Luck, man. My fingers are crossed!!

I am also curious as to the acceptance rate into NJMS after completion of the master program. I am hoping its high, lol.

Maxim, if you have a facebook you should join the group I created for people accepted into the GSBS in Newark,

here's the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=57818004454&ref=mf

Hey guys, got into stratford today!! But I'm still waiting word on Newark my #1 choice...anyone else in the same situation? Any advice on what to do?

Hey guys, got into stratford today!! But I'm still waiting word on Newark my #1 choice...anyone else in the same situation? Any advice on what to do?

congrats! :) yup just waiting on the mail. i live in FL so it may take a lil bit longer

Congrats, Albuterol!

And don't worry you guys, I'm sure you will be getting your acceptances to Newark soon! I know how much waiting sucks!

yay congratulations!!! i hope that you are accepted into the Newark program so that way your Stratford (my #1 choice) spot opens up, for moi lol :D..

but how did you hear about your acceptance, email or phone call??

I also got an acceptance letter from Newark campus!

It is one of my top choices and pretty sure I will be attending here.

I'd also like to know what % of students at UMDNJ GSBS get into med/dental schools the following year..

I really wanna get into dental schools next year.
Hope the next year at GBSB helps me!!