UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a postbac program offered at UMDNJ. You need to have fulfilled your pre-requisite requirements for the Biomedical Sciences programs. If you have completed the pre-reqs...go ahead apply to both UMDNJ Biomedical Science programs. You can find more information at the links below:

http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/academic_programs/masters_programs.htm
http://www3.umdnj.edu/gsbstrat/mbs/mbs-prg.htm

On another note..userah or drstyller you know of anyone who's gone through the pre-dental track at umdnj-newark? Any success stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I believe there is also a post-bacc, but it is at Rutgers New Brunswick (http://ucc.rutgers.edu/postbac.shtml).

Yeah and thats why this is the UMDNJ thread and Albuterol was right when he said there isn't a post-bacc at UMDNJ. Rutgers, however, is a different story

And New Brunswick is a little way away from Newark or Stratford....

Just realized how pissed I sound, haha, i don't mean to be but there isnt a umdnj post-bac

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah and thats why this is the UMDNJ thread and Albuterol was right when he said there isn't a post-bacc at UMDNJ. Rutgers, however, is a different story

And New Brunswick is a little way away from Newark....

yup thats true. this is for the SMPs. The post bacc is for those whose science grades of about a 2.0... they wont accept anyone with above a 3.0. also its for those who already have bachelors degrees but decided to apply to med school and need prerequisites. basically for those of u who went to rutgers, its like taking those first 2 awful years all over again.

btw drchuck, im still waiting :)

jxc you're still waiting?! what the...man from what I remember I think you were complete months before me! I hope you hear good news soon man.

jxc,

that is so crazy how they have you waiting for this long...maybe they sent you a letter but it went to the wrong address or something :shrug:
but keep hanging in there..

jxc you're still waiting?! what the...man from what I remember I think you were complete months before me! I hope you hear good news soon man.

jxc,

that is so crazy how they have you waiting for this long...maybe they sent you a letter but it went to the wrong address or something :shrug:
but keep hanging in there..

i sent in mine so early but newark chose to review completed applications at random which is such BS!! :mad: anyways I just mailed out my "admission acknowledgment" letter to RU/UMDNJ-RWJ today bc it's due. I still haven't sent the $200 Housing deposit for that yet. I don't know what im gonna do... if i get in Newark too. Gotta weigh the pros and cons... ill tell u guys if i get that letter. prob soon.

try calling them? that might speed up the process if they know you're concerned and actually care. Doubtful I know haha, but it's worth a shot. I called them 3 or 4 times after I sent in my application. Now whether or not that actually did anything in speeding up the process is unknown but it made me feel better =P

got some great news guys!! I just received an acceptance letter to the Newark campus!!! :soexcited::highfive:I am excited..its funny how those letters came a day apart. I was complete 3/31 and received the letter today (dated April 9, 2009) for those wondering...definitely will be seeing you all this Fall. Going to join the facebook right now!! :love:

and jxc..im really hoping that something will be heading your way..would love for you to join us this Fall :D gonna keep praying for you

Last edited:
heey nice man! :D congrats :thumbup: :claps:

we got a nice group goin in next year haha. Now I won't be so worried about going in and not knowing anyone. Good stuff. congrats again :thumbup:

EDIT: you're a girl?! haha i just went over to the facebook group to see how many people joined. Did not expect that at all haha. Your username made it sound like a guy haha. my apologies. :rofl:

jxc man. I think you're the only other one who's on this thread as much as the rest of us and still waiting on a response. wish you the best of luck. Let us know when you get in :)

Last edited:
try calling them? that might speed up the process if they know you're concerned and actually care. Doubtful I know haha, but it's worth a shot. I called them 3 or 4 times after I sent in my application. Now whether or not that actually did anything in speeding up the process is unknown but it made me feel better =P

lol i called them the last time they did the review and they said that mine wasnt reviewed yet and that she was gonna write something on the app so that they can review mine next. idk. i really dont know what im gonna do but i'll be checking the mail :)

Congrats everyone on their recent acceptances! I wanted to know if the Financial Aid application is necessary? I received a letter but I have no idea if its required. Can someone let me know?

heey nice man! :D congrats :thumbup: :claps:

EDIT: you're a girl?! haha i just went over to the Facebook group to see how many people joined. Did not expect that at all haha. Your username made it sound like a guy haha. my apologies. :rofl:

haha its okay...you are not the first and you wont be the last...my name is pretty confusing :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS DrChuck!!!!!! I knew you would hear good news soon! Now we just need JXC to get her acceptance haha Are most of you going to live near UMDNJ or commute from home? I'm thinking of commuting from home since it's pretty close but we'll see...

Last edited:
CONGRATS DrChuck!!!!!! I knew you would hear good news soon! Now we just need JXC to get his acceptance haha Are most of you going to live near UMDNJ or commute from home? I'm thinking of commuting from home since it's pretty close but we'll see...

im a girl!!

CONGRATS DrChuck!!!!!! I knew you would hear good news soon! Now we just need JXC to get her acceptance haha Are most of you going to live near UMDNJ or commute from home? I'm thinking of commuting from home since it's pretty close but we'll see...

I am going to get an apt in Montclair which is like 15 min away from the school. I am going to be sharing it with a friend of mine who got into NJMS.
I went to UMDNJ yesterday just to look around, sort of an impromptu tour. It was a really nice facility. The people there were really friendly and helpful. I was stopped twice by security and had to show them my ID, but that actually made me feel good that the school itself is so well protected. There was an air of dreariness though, but that was just because it was pouring out and 37 degrees. All in all I was pretty impressed and looking forward to going there.

im planning on checking out the school some time this week as well. Just look around and get a feel for the place. I will likely be renting an apartment in Harrison with a friend and commuting from there. From what i've been told, it's quite safe, comparatively speaking so i figure that's the best bet.

I got my newark acceptance just now! :love:

However, I'm not sure where I'm gonna go. Today I just spoke to the 2 medical school professors at RU/UMDNJ-RWJ and I got into the first year anatomy 7 credit core class :oops:. I'll see what I'll do but I'll join the group!

Last edited:
nice job!!! hope you are able to join us but ultimately gotta do what's best for you.

However, I'm not sure where I'm gonna go. Today I just spoke to the 2 medical school professors at RU/UMDNJ-RWJ and I got into the first year anatomy 7 credit core class :oops:. I'll see what I'll do but I'll join the group!

You just sent me on an up and down so quick..lol..but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :love: YAY YOU!!! I have heard about the 7 credit med school course. Is it over the summer?? That is really good that you have that opportunity. But I was wondering, cant those credits transfer over to Newark..come on!! lol...no seriously, congrats!! :soexcited: I know that you are going to make the decision that works best in your favor..

nice job!!! hope you are able to join us but ultimately gotta do what's best for you.

yup. lol thats what my dad said verbatim. i'm gonna send the deposit anyways because its refundable. i have some thinking to do. i will know by the end of May

You just sent me on an up and down so quick..lol..but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :love: YAY YOU!!! I have heard about the 7 credit med school course. Is it over the summer?? That is really good that you have that opportunity. But I was wondering, cant those credits transfer over to Newark..come on!! lol...no seriously, congrats!! :soexcited: I know that you are going to make the decision that works best in your favor..

lol its in the fall. it starts in the middle of august and i take it with the first years, which is cool bc my friend growing up from home is going to be there!! this is so stressful!!!

congrats! =) good luck with whichever decision you make!

If anyone is looking for housing. There is an apartment below my brothers for $1800 for 3 bedroom plus utilities and walking distance to UMDNJ. Safe area, ive been there a bunch and off-the street parking

He also has 2 open rooms in his. PM if your interested

That's great news, JXC! I wish you the best of luck in your decision making process! Congrats again!

Hey guys,

I just got my acceptance letter to UMDNJ Newark dated April 6, 2009. Since I live in Canada it took forever to arrive. I dunno what to do now, gotta look about housing, courses, etc. I kinda need to know the breakdown of the courses that I will be taking in both semesters as I need to fill it out on my dental application. If anyone who has already taken this program or is a current student could post the breakdown, that would be great!

Albuterol - you shamelessly plug the facebook group whenever possible, huh? hahah

hahah I try man...learned it from Titan2600 haha

Hey guys,

I just got my acceptance letter to UMDNJ Newark dated April 6, 2009. Since I live in Canada it took forever to arrive. I dunno what to do now, gotta look about housing, courses, etc. I kinda need to know the breakdown of the courses that I will be taking in both semesters as I need to fill it out on my dental application. If anyone who has already taken this program or is a current student could post the breakdown, that would be great!

Congratulations :D This must be an exciting thing for you :love: Cant wait to see you in the Fall!!

Albuterol - you shamelessly plug the facebook group whenever possible, huh? hahah

hahaha thats funny...

Congrats Artanis!!!
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/current_students/degreeReq.htm

you can check out the degree requirements on this page and the course electives you are able to take. good luck and hope u will be joining us!
ps -join the facebook page!

Definitely gonna join the facebook page. Will do that on April 30th when im done with my final exam!

So im hearing 180 W market st is a great place to live for student housing. So far im looking into that but I am also down if anyone else wants to link up who is completely new to the area.

so am I the only one to set up the UMDNJ email account and Financial Aid application?? Lol...really exciting stuff :love:

ooo you were able to set it up?? i should check..i thought they said 1 week.

ooo you were able to set it up?? i should check..i thought they said 1 week.

Since I go to Rutgers in Newark, I went straight to the office and dropped off my deposit and letter..and then she coded me into the system right then and there. She was actually happy that I did that because she said they have been getting their mail "delayed". So heads up to anyone sending anything to them..might be an extra day or two before they receive everything...and I did all of that on Monday and set up my account today...

guess they got my check ...i just set up my umdnj account...question about the financial aid? is there a tab on the umdnj or are u just talking about fafsa? thanks!

edit: nvmd found the tab...i feel stupid for asking haha

guess they got my check ...i just set up my umdnj account...question about the financial aid? is there a tab on the umdnj or are u just talking about fafsa? thanks!

edit: nvmd found the tab...i feel stupid for asking haha

no dont...thats what this forum is here for lol..TO ASK STUFF!! :thumbup:
But yeah, for anyone else who is curious.. I did the online financial aid application two nights ago, which was very short and self-explanatory..they just want you to send in supporting documents (W2 Forms, etc) AND the authorization form (available after you complete the app on line)..

Last edited:
Hey all I have a quick question about stats. I graduated undergrad with a bs in biochemistry. My Gpa was just above a 3.0 and gre sxor of 987. I was just wondering what my chances are to get in either stratford or Newark programs.

Thanks
Biochem06

i don't know about the GRE score cuz I used my DAT score but your gpa seems about average. I'd say the sooner the better. From the looks of things i'd say the chances are higher for newark then stratford as stratford has fewer seats. Beyond that, hopefully someone else can give you some better information. Good luck =)

For the predents out here, I spoke to Dr. Wagner about these courses. He told me that getting into these is based on your "credentials" whether that means GPA and DAT and experience or whatever due to space limitations. Just letting the pre-dents know.

I do have a question about courses tho. I plan to finish the program in one year, but I dunno how that is possible. People i saw choosing courses ended up doing 12 credits per semester. Anyone know a typical time-table for someone that finished the program?

Hey all I have a quick question about stats. I graduated undergrad with a bs in biochemistry. My Gpa was just above a 3.0 and gre sxor of 987. I was just wondering what my chances are to get in either stratford or Newark programs.

Thanks
Biochem06

I think like they said above Newark is easier to get into than Stratford especially since you only have GRE scores. My GRE scores were 1080 so you are not far off..I think you have a great shot so I would just apply.

Last edited:
I talked to a friend who's a pre-dent in the program. He said NJDS really weighs how your performance is in Dental Physio and Biochem (especially physio). He told me that its pretty difficult but not impossible to complete the program in a year especially if u want all A's in your courses. He also said a lot of his friends did it in a year and gained admission to a dental school starting the next fall.

I talked to a friend who's a pre-dent in the program. He said NJDS really weighs how your performance is in Dental Physio and Biochem (especially physio). He told me that its pretty difficult but not impossible to complete the program in a year especially if u want all A's in your courses. He also said a lot of his friends did it in a year and gained admission to a dental school starting the next fall.

Cool, looks like we'll be classmates in whatever classes we choose since we have similar goals. :)

Even if we are not accepted into the Dental Physio and Dental Biochem, you are still allowed to take MAX 2 "dental" courses. Someone I spoke to took Oral Microbiology, and I dunno about in the spring term.

When you are decided on your courses please let me know. I am hoping right now to get into Dental Physio and Dental Biochem, however I will suffice with the Fundamental 1 and 2.

I inquired about taking courses this summer, i.e. from May-August, to get a head start, but it is not looking too good so far since I will be a part-time student.

Remember we need to fill out our planned/inprogress on our AADSAS!! So we need this information by June 1!

Thanks for the replies.
One more question do either school have an online application or do you have to mail in a paper copy?

Thanks

Online app for both schools!
https://banweb.umdnj.edu:8090/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

Artanis...what did your friend say about Oral Microbio? I heard that its pretty hard in the way that they teach it since its all research based.

Hey there Albuterol,

This is the response I got from my friend.

"microbio is one of the most interesting classes at jersey dental. i think that we are allowed to take only two dental courses in order to graduate. i took it last semester, but it was kinda challenging only cuz we had two professors rotating on different topics. you will enjoy the course no matter what. I took fundamental I, oral micro, toxicology, and dental seminar last semester. classes here aren't too hard but they require endurance and consistency."

However, my friend is completing it over 1.5 years and working part time in the morning. Our goal in the end is to 4.0 first semester, and finish in one year to matriculate into next years class. I am a little afraid that if i do in fact do the dental physio and biochem, in a sense I will be graded with the other dental students so expectations are the same. So its basically a make our break for dental school. Let me know what you think.

Hey there Albuterol,

This is the response I got from my friend.

"microbio is one of the most interesting classes at jersey dental. i think that we are allowed to take only two dental courses in order to graduate. i took it last semester, but it was kinda challenging only cuz we had two professors rotating on different topics. you will enjoy the course no matter what. I took fundamental I, oral micro, toxicology, and dental seminar last semester. classes here aren't too hard but they require endurance and consistency."

However, my friend is completing it over 1.5 years and working part time in the morning. Our goal in the end is to 4.0 first semester, and finish in one year to matriculate into next years class. I am a little afraid that if i do in fact do the dental physio and biochem, in a sense I will be graded with the other dental students so expectations are the same. So its basically a make our break for dental school. Let me know what you think.

heyy..from what i've understood umdnj really stresses the 1.5yrs but its not impossible to finish in a year, just harder since we need to take an extra course. If you want to get into NJDS its probably best to take physio and biochem if you are offered the chance. Nothing will look better imo than getting A's in ACTUAL dental school courses. This is a crazy gamble imo cause if you don't do well in the physio, biochem courses you probably won't get into NJDS. Not taking them if you were offered to might also look bad. So far I'm going to take Fund I (required) unless I get into Physio..and then I have heard toxicology, neurobio are good 1st semester courses too along with a lab rotation if possible.

heyy..from what i've understood umdnj really stresses the 1.5yrs but its not impossible to finish in a year, just harder since we need to take an extra course. If you want to get into NJDS its probably best to take physio and biochem if you are offered the chance. Nothing will look better imo than getting A's in ACTUAL dental school courses. This is a crazy gamble imo cause if you don't do well in the physio, biochem courses you probably won't get into NJDS. Not taking them if you were offered to might also look bad. So far I'm going to take Fund I (required) unless I get into Physio..and then I have heard toxicology, neurobio are good 1st semester courses too along with a lab rotation if possible.

Cool, well sounds good. No matter what though Albuterol, I can't attend UMDNJ Dental School (I am an international Applicant). But definitely, whether I am in Fund 1 or Dental Physio, I am gonna aim for the best mark I can get! I mean the marks we are sending in for our academic update are the ones from first sem. I am right now trying to see if I can get into one to two courses during May-Aug, but I haven't a clue what to take. Any ideas? Btw, this complicates matters because I enroll as a non-mastriculated student, also a "part-time".

Also, what do you mean by lab rotation?

So your idea thus far is (assuming no dent physio),

Fund 1, Principles of Toxicology, Foundations of Neuroscience (neurobio?), and a Lab Rotation (?).

albuterol, did you already pick your classes or do we do that during orientation? I'm still waiting on my check to go through so I can register. I think if anything I can handle Biochem. Not too sure about physio though. From everyone I've talked to, physio generally is one of the harder if not hardest course, so im not too keen on tackling that just yet haha.