UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

Started by jxc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey rob,
someone mentioned this earlier but from what i understand its the same for both med/dent...they will base it on your gpa/mcat score. Off the top of my head I think 10-15 students are allowed to take a med/dent course..they have the specific # on the fall/spring course schedule which can be found on the umdnj gsbs-newark website. Why not just call UMDNJ and get a word from a official person there? It will make your decision a lot easier.
 
thanks for the response albuterol.

I might actual go to UMDNJ today. I might go see my brother in Newark and when I am there I may as well pop in and ask the question.

I didnt know they had numbers in the specific fall/spring course schedule. Thanks.

Anyone else have anything they want me to ask while I am down there?

*edit - MGM says it has a max enrollment of 30; anyone know how many of us are in the program? If there is say 100, i know i won't be competing for the pre-dent class, and i know albuterol and the other dents wont be going for MGM class*
 
thanks for the response albuterol.

I might actual go to UMDNJ today. I might go see my brother in Newark and when I am there I may as well pop in and ask the question.

I didnt know they had numbers in the specific fall/spring course schedule. Thanks.

Anyone else have anything they want me to ask while I am down there?

*edit - MGM says it has a max enrollment of 30; anyone know how many of us are in the program? If there is say 100, i know i won't be competing for the pre-dent class, and i know albuterol and the other dents wont be going for MGM class*

call newark up just to make sure and ask how many they accept for MGM. when I called back in February they told me that they accept in the "low teens." definitely not gonna reach the 30 number. they also told me it was based on mcat scores so thats one of the reasons why i didnt choose this program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm ok thanks JXC - i'll give them a buzz on Monday. I didnt manage to make to Newark in time yesterday so i'll call them on Monday
 
Has anyone heard of the MBS program at Barry University in Miami, Fl? I've been accepted to the UMDNJ GSBS Newark. My goal is to get into allopathic med. Which is better..Barry, UMDNJ or Boston??? If anyone has any insight for me I would DEEPLY appreciate it. Thanks.
 
I had posted this on the general SMP thread but it would be better suited here. Any responses would be great.

Hello guys,

Would anyone have the admissions rate to MD schools for graduates of UMDNJ MBS newark program?

For example, Drexel's IMS has like a 85% success rate which is off zee hook.

Just got accepted into the MBS but am weighing my options.

My stats for those who are interested in profiles of accepted students:
GPA=~3.0
MCAT=30
Rutgers NB 2005, Bio Sci.
big pharma scientist since I graduated
have been shadowing docs since i graduated
grew up in Camden, NJ

I am going to the Stratford campus in the fall and I spoke with the program director and she said at the Stratford campus 65% go onto medical school and 11% of them go MD.
 
Hey guys,

Has anyone been experiencing any trouble with their UMDNJ email accounts. I can log into the main page, but when I click on the email tab I get an error message saying that my password is incorrect. I figured I'd ask you guys before I call tech support.

Thanks!
 
Titan - i had troubles too, so i just gave up. I figured i didnt have access to it yet. let me know what you dig up
 
When have you all started experiencing these issues?? I have been able to access my email account and received emails.. I go through my.umdnj.edu log in..and then hit the email tab. Sometimes the window will pop up and other times it hasn't..but I just make sure that I am on the main page when I hit email tab.
 
To Roxy,
Don't go to Barry. I'm from Miami and I'm actually leaving South Florida. I applied to Bary and withdrew my application after seeing the cost of the school. $30K goes along way here, plus the school is not in the safest part of town. Also, it is a pod program, so it does not have any affiliations what so ever. Not to say the program won't work, heck there are plenty of people who have gone to Barry and post all the time here and have actually gotten into allopathic schools. But if you are seriously considering the cost of living plus the school (private), in my opinion they are not worth it. If anybody would like to debate me in this issue please feel free to do so...besides the only good thing about Miami is the beach ( Atlantic Ocean, no waves, very calm ocean)
 
Last edited:
Hey...i was wondering how everyone is planning to financing the masters program? Are you getting loans or fafsa? I'm thinking of doing a combo of FAFSA and and covering the rest with a sallie mae loan. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
 
I'm not sure what I am going to do regarding paying for the program. I will probably do FAFSA as the little money I can get from the government should be enough to cover the program once I added to some of my severance check money.

Don't really have any tips unfortunately. You could also do work-study, if you end up in a research setting or some kind of resume-enhancing setting - it could be a win-win (money for school, beef up resume).
 
hey, i just joined this forum, and i'm new to posting, so if this comes up as a respones to someone's question sorry ahead of time! ... just wanted to ask.. how long did the people who got accepted hear from GSBS that they wre acceptd after all their materials were sent ? I will be sending my final grades from this semester on May 21 really late, but they said it was fine. I'm just curious to know when i'll find out by in case i get rejecteed, i need to get a real job before applying again if that's the case. I would really appreciate any input regarding this.
 
hey, i just joined this forum, and i'm new to posting, so if this comes up as a respones to someone's question sorry ahead of time! ... just wanted to ask.. how long did the people who got accepted hear from GSBS that they wre acceptd after all their materials were sent ? I will be sending my final grades from this semester on May 21 really late, but they said it was fine. I'm just curious to know when i'll find out by in case i get rejecteed, i need to get a real job before applying again if that's the case. I would really appreciate any input regarding this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey, i apologize ahead of time this will come up as a response to a thread, but it's a question. i just joined so I don't know how to post new questions. CAn anyone tell me when how long after they sent their applicaion materials they heard back from the program if they were rejected/accepted? ( i'll be applying late, since my final grades aren't submittable til mid to late may. gsbs said it was fine. ) any feedback will be appreciated 😀
 
I submitted in mid-february and got a decision in early april. about 6 weeks turn around
 
wow six weeks, they really keep you hanging on a thread i guess. has anyone withdrawn from a class, if you dont mind me asking ? I'm jus worried about getting in because I have a couple withdrawals.

i explained it in my application why I withdrew, but i go nuts over it. 😕
 
Hey...i was wondering how everyone is planning to financing the masters program? Are you getting loans or fafsa? I'm thinking of doing a combo of FAFSA and and covering the rest with a sallie mae loan. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

im kinda clueless about all this stuff...filled out my FAFSA, dont know what that will do :shrug:
and then an outside lender...we shall see
 
wow six weeks, they really keep you hanging on a thread i guess. has anyone withdrawn from a class, if you dont mind me asking ? I'm jus worried about getting in because I have a couple withdrawals.

i explained it in my application why I withdrew, but i go nuts over it. 😕

I have the worst transcript out there..and I made it in. I have a semester with a few withdrawals so I do not think that will be a big deal..especially since you explained it...
I was complete 03/31 and got my acceptance letter 04/09...but i sent in everything way before that..they were just waiting for my GRE scores..is there any particular reason why you are waiting for the end of this semester grades...
 
I applied to Newark and am trying to apply to Stratford but the online app. keeps having errors. Can some post a link to the online app. that they were able to submitt for stratford.

Thanks and good luck to all applying and congrads to those excepted.
 
I applied to Newark and am trying to apply to Stratford but the online app. keeps having errors. Can some post a link to the online app. that they were able to submitt for stratford.

Thanks and good luck to all applying and congrads to those excepted.

Hey Biochem06,

I had the same problems, albeit it was three months ago. I freaked out, called in and they told me to send everything in writing. Well, I did just that and three months after I was accepted. They deposit the check and within two weeks I was in.


In another note, I have a question for a few of you who are willing to go the extra mile for a fellow pre-med.
I have been accepted to both programs in Newark and Stratford. Also I was accepted to Ga-PCOM's biomedical certificate program. I received an invite to drexel's DPMS and had to decline due to the summer program constriction<-- sucks bc I would have love to go there but need to support the family.
I would love to go to my hometown's school which is UCF. It is an allo school and they told me I need it to improve my GPA. science is 3.03 overall 3.31. The thing is, I've been admitted to DO programs as well as the one in Newark (in an allo school). What are my chances of increasing my application to enter UCF. Albeit the class size is very small - 40 seats - what would be the school that would maximize my chances are getting in? I have no problems going to a DO school but my family and my wife's family live in Orlando, and it would be great to have them there while they look after my son and I just focus in school. My choice is not really which school but how to stay in Orlando. I know USF is about 1.5 hours away and so is LECOM but the commute would KILL ME. Thanks guys for all the help.
 
Last edited:
All,

Does anyone know how often the applications are reviewed for the Newark program? Is the admission committee meeting once per week? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
KirbyGal,
When I called back in Mid-March they said that they review apps once a month. Hope this helps. Good luck!
 
I have the worst transcript out there..and I made it in. I have a semester with a few withdrawals so I do not think that will be a big deal..especially since you explained it...
I was complete 03/31 and got my acceptance letter 04/09...but i sent in everything way before that..they were just waiting for my GRE scores..is there any particular reason why you are waiting for the end of this semester grades...


--Dr. Chuck-- I'm an undergrad, and they want to see my grades for all years I guess. I withdrew froma whole semester to work two weeks into the semster, and then transferred back to the first college I was at since i wasn't comfortable at the second one. I sent my GRE scores, and my recommendation letters went in with eerything else. They didn't ask for htis semester's grades, but i called, and they said send them to us. Perhaps it isn't nessacary, but since i offered them, they said send them. do you mind my asking, are you a post back or undergrad?
 
i wonder if they really have many seats open. last i called they said there were many seats like over 100 left. but i don't know if i should belive that because, why would there be so many seats left late april????? i mean, do that many people submit their stuff late may.....and if so, i hope my chances of getting in aren't reduced because of the high volume of applications... im so worried. any one else know?
 
--Dr. Chuck-- I'm an undergrad, and they want to see my grades for all years I guess. I withdrew froma whole semester to work two weeks into the semster, and then transferred back to the first college I was at since i wasn't comfortable at the second one. I sent my GRE scores, and my recommendation letters went in with eerything else. They didn't ask for htis semester's grades, but i called, and they said send them to us. Perhaps it isn't nessacary, but since i offered them, they said send them. do you mind my asking, are you a post back or undergrad?

im an undergrad...
 
Hey guys. So I'm a pre-dental student and was accepted (as a matriculated student) to newark and as a non-matriculated student to stratford. I was just wondering for those who already made their decisions- why did you pick newark over stratford (or vice versa)??
 
I'm premed but I picked Newark over Stratford as i'd rather live there, i wanted to classes at an allopathic institution and not a DO one.

Not sure about pre-dent, albuterol might help you there
 
hey cwalsh,
while both programs will help u get to where u want (dental school), I choose newark mainly because I would have the opportunity to take 2 dental school courses, NJDS is right next door and may allow me a chance to form a good relationship with them, and its 20-25min from my house and would save $ on housing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info. And another question- did the committee send your acceptance letters via email or snail mail?
 
apologies for the hundreds of posts - thing freaked out and now i can't delete them
 
send them what u have(app + lor + current transcript) and if u are admitted u have to send them a final transcript indicating u have completed your bachelors degree. waiting for ur final grades to be released is playing it risky since the deadline is june1st.
 
send them what u have(app + lor + current transcript) and if u are admitted u have to send them a final transcript indicating u have completed your bachelors degree. waiting for ur final grades to be released is playing it risky since the deadline is june1st.

ok good, because i did that... but i have a temporary grade for one of my summer classes that i never finsihed... :/.....i told them i'd give them an updated transcript later after the letter grade was changed on june 20, but i hope they dn't reject me for the temporary grade...
 
ok good, because i did that... but i have a temporary grade for one of my summer classes that i never finsihed... :/.....i told them i'd give them an updated transcript later after the letter grade was changed on june 20, but i hope they dn't reject me for the temporary grade...

this is really stupid im replying to my own post, but okay, so i'll find out three weeks from now at earliest. if i got in or not. keep a defribrilator around you guys that are premed. i might go under cardiac arrest during the next three weeks </3 ....uhhhhh
 
ok good, because i did that... but i have a temporary grade for one of my summer classes that i never finsihed... :/.....i told them i'd give them an updated transcript later after the letter grade was changed on june 20, but i hope they dn't reject me for the temporary grade...

no thats the surprising part..they didnt ask for the grades..they are just waiting for the diploma..thats all..
 
this is really stupid im replying to my own post, but okay, so i'll find out three weeks from now at earliest. if i got in or not. keep a defribrilator around you guys that are premed. i might go under cardiac arrest during the next three weeks </3 ....uhhhhh

praying for you..hopefully good news soon 🙂
 
To Roxy,
Don't go to Barry. I'm from Miami and I'm actually leaving South Florida. I applied to Bary and withdrew my application after seeing the cost of the school. $30K goes along way here, plus the school is not in the safest part of town. Also, it is a pod program, so it does not have any affiliations what so ever. Not to say the program won't work, heck there are plenty of people who have gone to Barry and post all the time here and have actually gotten into allopathic schools. But if you are seriously considering the cost of living plus the school (private), in my opinion they are not worth it. If anybody would like to debate me in this issue please feel free to do so...besides the only good thing about Miami is the beach ( Atlantic Ocean, no waves, very calm ocean)


Thanks a lot🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have made a final decision to attend UMDNJ. I'm dreading moving up north! eeeek! lol. Quick question though, I am contemplating doing my med apps this summer. Do any of you know anyone that did it this way. Completing the program in one year and starting med or dental right after? Are any of you doing this?


Thanks in advance for any insight!
 
UMDNJ recommends that one do the program in 3 semesters. Some on here are planning on doing it one year. I will be doing it in 3 semesters - i feel that this is my last chance to get the grades I need and there is no point rushing it to risk it.
 
I have made a final decision to attend UMDNJ. I'm dreading moving up north! eeeek! lol. Quick question though, I am contemplating doing my med apps this summer. Do any of you know anyone that did it this way. Completing the program in one year and starting med or dental right after? Are any of you doing this?


Thanks in advance for any insight!

i spoke to someone who did it in one year..it depends, you gotta remember, if you apply this summer and try to do the program in one year, they will not see your new grades from the program, just the ones you have PRIOR to this Fall...if your grades are above average then sure why not do it, just be prepared to finish all the classes within this next year..finishing it in three semesters just gives you more time to spread out the classes..and like Rob said I have to definitely do well so i am going to spread it out...


also quick question..does anyone know if its possible to take over 30 credits?? cause I am trying to plan out the courses and it seems in my third semester I will have a lot of room to take extra classes..::shrugs::
 
Yah I think you can take upto 6 extra credits - you're really going to have an empty 3rd semester? I did a quick mock up and didnt seem to have any troubles filling it up
 
Yah I think you can take upto 6 extra credits - you're really going to have an empty 3rd semester? I did a quick mock up and didnt seem to have any troubles filling it up

oh thats great...so wait i did a mock up too..how many classes a semester are you looking at?? are you trying to take MGM or any other med school class??
 
Last edited: