UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diva09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying to the UMDNJ-MBS program at the Newark Campus. I didn't see a thread for any Fall 2010 applicants so I thought I should create one. If anyone have any comments about the program on what they like or don't like I would greatly appreciate it. I am applying to a total of 8 grad school programs with a mix of Masters and post-bacc programs that only grant a certificate.

UMDNJ is the most cost effictive but I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

If anyone is in the combined MBS/MPH I am also interested in that program at UMDNJ as well I just didnt see any threads about it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I will be attending this program barring any unforeseen circumstances, starting fall 2010. Apparently they will look at applications in the middle of Feb (if not at any point sooner as well). Good luck with all your apps!

Hello,

Thank you for responding to me. I was just curious have they already accepted people into the program? Since you said you will be attending in the fall of 2010 I wanted to know have they already started accepting people and what program did you apply to?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello again,

How competitive is the program?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they've started accepting people, I talked with people on the adcom before applying because i was not sure whether or not i was competitive for admission and i've worked with them throughout the application process, apparently my mcat score has me set... they told me they are going to look at people mid feb... i applied in late december and knew that they would not be looking at anyone until the new year, however i sent an update ~dec. 25 showing fall grades, and asking them to wait until they get new transcript before deciding. my application was complete with them around jan 15th to 18th. my application has not yet been officially looked at.

in conclusion, mid-feb may or may not be the first time they look at applications. by "how competitive is the program" do you mean how does the program compare to other SMP's? or do you mean "how ruthless/cutthroat/competitive are the students in the program against each other"? To answer the first of those two questions, certainly BU and Gtown have the most recognized programs, but this one seems to have a good track record, and of course NJMS and RWJMS tend to look favorably towards the people who have completed this program (according to the information I have gathered). The second question I do not have an answer to, and I am interested in finding out

Just to clarify, and any of the current UMDNJ SMPers can correct but last cycle when I applied - we specifically asked them on their success rates, and they said they didnt keep track of them.

So wubear - not sure if they told you otherwise but as far as i know, there is no track record, due to lack of record keeping.

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me. I did call and spoke with Dr. Wagner and she did mention they will not be reviewing in mid-february. I sent my info in on Januray 4th because I wanted to include my fall semester grades but I didnt take my GREs till January 16th so I am waiting for those to come in so my application can be complete.

When I asked how competitive I was referring to how competitive was it to get into the program? I am applying to about 7 or 8 programs but since i am a jersey resident and I want both an MBS and an MPH it makes more sense to do this program.

I just wanted too know is it super competitive to get in. But I feel confident that I will get in to both the MBS and MPOH because the lady from the MPH office said if you are good enough to get into the MBS program than you are good enough to get into the MPH program.

Thanks again guys for your responses.

Just to clarify, and any of the current UMDNJ SMPers can correct but last cycle when I applied - we specifically asked them on their success rates, and they said they didnt keep track of them.

So wubear - not sure if they told you otherwise but as far as i know, there is no track record, due to lack of record keeping.

Robflanker, glad you said that. I suppose I am guilty of a hasty generalization based on a couple success stories i've heard, and from looking up a few of the 'recent graduates' from their webpage on facebook

No problem Wu - like I said, the current folks may know more but it ended up being a factor in me not going to UMDNJ.

And diva09 - i hate to rain on your parade. but it is not super competitive. It isnt in the top few on the east coast let alone period. It appears to be a decent program with a lot of good pluses and everyone seems to like it. But its no Georgetown, BU or even Tufts.

No problem Wu - like I said, the current folks may know more but it ended up being a factor in me not going to UMDNJ.

And diva09 - i hate to rain on your parade. but it is not super competitive. It isnt in the top few on the east coast let alone period. It appears to be a decent program with a lot of good pluses and everyone seems to like it. But its no Georgetown, BU or even Tufts.

Hello,

Thanks for your input...So I am just trying to understand your comment...Since its not super competitive its not worth attending because 1. the program has not been around for a long time or 2. its not a "big name school" or I am just trying to figure out what you meant by your comment.

I am applying to all the other programs that you mentioned above I just want you to elaborate on your comment.

Thanks

It is worth attending if you can't get in to other places and it has some pluses that others dont (cost for example, if you are a NJ resident)

Plus not everyone gets to take med school classes and they dont tell you till pretty late on in the process.

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me. I did call and spoke with Dr. Wagner and she did mention they will not be reviewing in mid-february. I sent my info in on Januray 4th because I wanted to include my fall semester grades but I didnt take my GREs till January 16th so I am waiting for those to come in so my application can be complete.

When I asked how competitive I was referring to how competitive was it to get into the program? I am applying to about 7 or 8 programs but since i am a jersey resident and I want both an MBS and an MPH it makes more sense to do this program.

I just wanted too know is it super competitive to get in. But I feel confident that I will get in to both the MBS and MPOH because the lady from the MPH office said if you are good enough to get into the MBS program than you are good enough to get into the MPH program.

Thanks again guys for your responses.

Hey!So they're definitely NOT reviewing in February then I assume, based on what Dr. Wagner told you. I would assume that they would start reviewing apps in March then, correct? Thanks :)

Last year they reviewed in February and i got my acceptance around Feb 20th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am sorry to confuse anyone. I meant to say that they will not be reading applications till the beginning or mid-February. So hopefully people should be hearing back starting late February or early march if you submitted your stuff early.

Sorry for the confusion.

Good Luck applying!!

Hey everyone. I really want to get into this program but haven't taken my GRE yet. I'm taking it in the end of March and hoping to get the scores back and submit everything by the 3rd week of April.

I'm gonna study really hard and hopefully pull off around a 500 Verbal and 640 Math. I'm really scared about not getting into this program.

Anybody here know anyone who's in the program and what their undergrad gpa was and their GRE score? I have a 3.2 gpa and will get good LOR's from my science professors.

Any help, advice would be great :)

Hey little monster,

If you check out an old thread UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009 people posted their stats there I believe and also talked about how competitive the program is.

Hope this helps.

Pre-dental guys feel free to post, I will check this from time to time and help answer any questions you may have a pre-dental applicant during your time as a GSBS student.

hi guys, just wanted to let everyone know about the time table for UMDNJ-biomedical sciences program for the fall, i got accepted on friday and i had my application completed in early january.

I'm also in the process of applying for the UMDNJ program but just had a question about the degrees. Should I be applying to the MS/MPH or just the Master of Sciences with my choice of a thesis or non thesis? I'm looking to complete it in one year. I know RU is a 2 year program but I think a non thesis can be done in one year? Or maybe thats the certificate in stem cell biology.

Thanks

Hello,

congrats on getting in! I applied in January as well but I didn't take my GRE till the 16th so they just got my scores.

I am applying for an MBS/MPH but I'm not sure if it can be done in a year because it's a 2.5 year program but I'm not sure maybe you can.

Good luck applying

hi guys, just wanted to let everyone know about the time table for UMDNJ-biomedical sciences program for the fall, i got accepted on friday and i had my application completed in early january.

Congrats! Would you mind telling how you received your acceptance (email, mail, phone)?

I'm also in the process of applying for the UMDNJ program but just had a question about the degrees. Should I be applying to the MS/MPH or just the Master of Sciences with my choice of a thesis or non thesis? I'm looking to complete it in one year. I know RU is a 2 year program but I think a non thesis can be done in one year? Or maybe thats the certificate in stem cell biology.

Thanks

Masters of Biomedical Sciences is the most popular, it is the non thesis track (which I hope to be doing). It is three semesters or two if you decide to do it in two. I believe the semester length is the same if you do it with a thesis but I am not as sure about that.

Congrats again but I'm a bit confused. I was told that they are not reviewing applications until mid-February. So they are starting to accept people already for the MBS???

Congrats again but I'm a bit confused. I was told that they are not reviewing applications until mid-February. So they are starting to accept people already for the MBS???

I was also told that it would be Mid-Feb. Last year (according to a quick scanning of the 2009 thread) people started getting accepted 2nd week of March. I'm might give them a call tomorrow to ascertain the situation.

Last year, acceptances started coming out around now.

I got mine around Feb 17-18th.

And they come in the form a letter, at least they did last yr

Made the call, asked if the have began reviewing applications, was told "we won't be looking at applications until probably early next month".

Well I don't understand why there is a disconnect with information. hopefully the adcom did start reviewing apps. I congratulate you again and hope the rest of us who applied will hear back soon. there's no need to go back and forward because it's very confusing.

i'm sorry for any confusion. i didn't clarify that it was the stratford campus, not newark where I was accepted. Sorry again

i'm sorry for any confusion. i didn't clarify that it was the stratford campus, not newark where I was accepted. Sorry again

Hello there,

This makes more sense to me. From reading the old forums about this program people who applied to the Stratford campus heard back right away compared to those who applied to the Newark campus. I think the ones confused in this forum applied to the Newark campus. Everytime I call or speak to Dr. Wagner she says they will not be reviewing applications till mid-February or the beginning of March. So we were very surprised that you got in when they keep telling us they have not reviewed apps yet. I guess we are all just a bit nervous and patiently awaiting our letters as well. But thanks for clarifying things for us.

Well I wish you the best of luck in your program!

Congrats again!

Hey guys,

I posted on a different thread (started from the current class) but I figure I might as well post here also.

I graduated from undergrad in 09 with a 3.15 gpa. I am currently getting a masters in microbio at the same school which is hopefully ending in May of this year. It is a research based masters so I know it won't help me get into dental school. My decision to apply for dental school has been a really recent one and luckily I found these post bacc programs that will help strengthen my gpa.
I am really considering applying to this program and have started to fill out the application for both stratford and newark. I live in MA so i've also started the application to tufts. I haven't done anyyy shadowing and am planning on talking to my pre-med/pre-dent advisor tomorrow. I also plan on taking the GRE in early april. All that said, I have a few questions....

1. Is there anyone/do you know anyone who applied to this program with a different masters under their belt?
2. How much shadowing have ppl done prior to applying for this program (i know i technically have till June for Newark app, July for stratford and tufts)?
3. Those who are pre-dents in the program...have you continued shadowing? Have you applied to dental schools for Fall of 2010?

I am really nervous since I know i'm not a strong candidate for this program currently so any advice would be great

Hey guys,

I posted on a different thread (started from the current class) but I figure I might as well post here also.

I graduated from undergrad in 09 with a 3.15 gpa. I am currently getting a masters in microbio at the same school which is hopefully ending in May of this year. It is a research based masters so I know it won't help me get into dental school. My decision to apply for dental school has been a really recent one and luckily I found these post bacc programs that will help strengthen my gpa.
I am really considering applying to this program and have started to fill out the application for both stratford and newark. I live in MA so i've also started the application to tufts. I haven't done anyyy shadowing and am planning on talking to my pre-med/pre-dent advisor tomorrow. I also plan on taking the GRE in early april. All that said, I have a few questions....

1. Is there anyone/do you know anyone who applied to this program with a different masters under their belt?
2. How much shadowing have ppl done prior to applying for this program (i know i technically have till June for Newark app, July for stratford and tufts)?
3. Those who are pre-dents in the program...have you continued shadowing? Have you applied to dental schools for Fall of 2010?

I am really nervous since I know i'm not a strong candidate for this program currently so any advice would be great
Hey I will try to help you out here...

1. I know of one student in my class that has an MPH. Honestly, do not think it will hurt if you have already received a masters degree in something else. At the same time, yes your masters is research based probably requires you to do 1 yr of classes followed by 1 year of research for your thesis. What I am getting at is, if you have done well in your current microbiology masters (close to a 4.0 GPA) why not go ahead and apply for dental school if you can get your shadowing hours up to or at least gain some exposure to field and sign up and get a competitive DAT score? Graduate work is graduate work.

2.I'm not sure about the shadowing, but I had about 50 hours when I applied. There are opportunities to get involved by volunteering at the University Hospital in the dental clinic.

3. I did not continue my shadowing because honestly after 50-100hrs it's the same stuff and got pretty boring. I do recommend instead that you try to get a dental assistant position, this way you could instead of standing there you are become more active in your dental participation/learning. I applied to dental schools on June 1st 2009 and was lucky to have received acceptances at 2 places. I know of a few others in my class who have been accepted without completing a year of the program. Most though if you do well, increase their chances of an acceptance by a lot after 1 year of course work grades.

IF you have any more questions feel free to post.

Wow that is really helpful!

The masters program that I'm in right now is a 1 year program thats based on being in a lab your senior year of college and continuing for another year. I'm prayingg to be done by sometime mid summer and definitely will be applying to this program. I really hope I get into it!
Also 50 hours of shadowing is encouraging since I should be able to get that much done by the time my application is ready to be sent out.

Congrats on your acceptances! Thats so exciting :):)
Thank you for your response too!

Hello,

Has anyone who applied in December or January heard back yet?

Thank You

Hello,

Has anyone who applied in December or January heard back yet?

Thank You

I applied in early January and received a 'complete app' email on the 22nd. I'm hoping they make an admissions decision soon b/c I have to send in a deposit to Barry by the end of this month :/.

I applied in early January and received a 'complete app' email on the 22nd. I'm hoping they make an admissions decision soon b/c I have to send in a deposit to Barry by the end of this month :/.

Hey KaDa,

I hope for your sack they do send out admission decision soon. I received an application complete on February 1, 2010 though I sent in my stuff on January 4th. I did not take my GREs till the 16th of January so I was waiting for my scores to come in. I am just curious if they started sending out admission letters because from reading the old forums on UMDNJ MBS program, people received acceptances by now.

Good Luck!!

I received my application complete notice last December 9th. wrote an update letter december ~23rd, sent an updated transcript ~Jan 9th. I don't anticipate decisions coming in until early March. It should also be noted that last year they told applicants that they reserved the right to look at applicants out of order, which lead to some early applicants having to wait longer than the first couple reviews to hear back - this information coming from previous browsing of the '09 thread.

I'm a student at Newark and I thought this email might be of interest to you guys too in case you're trying to contact the school.

To GSBS Students and Faculty,

Due to the re-location of the GSBS Student Affairs and Admissions office, we will be closing at 4:00pm on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 and will re-open on Friday, February 26, 2010. If you need immediate assistance please contact the GSBS Registrars office at 973-972-8385.

Our voicemail system will be upgraded and unavailable on Wednesday, February 24th at 4:00pm until Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 8:00am. Please do not leave a message during this time period as it will be lost.

Hello all,

Thanks theWUbear for this information. I was just curious if anyone received any acceptance yet. I didn't want to bother the admissions committee because I know they are probably harrassed all day by students eager to hear back from them. Lol. I'm trying not to bother them.

And thanks cmcner for this information as well.

I will just wait patiently to hear back from them. I hope all my schools get back to me at the same time so I won't have to waste a deposit on a more expensive program.

Thanks everyone!!!

Hello all,

Just wanted to give people a heads up that they have started to review applications but have not sent out acceptance letters. I had to call the office for another reason today because I am applying for a dual degree there and needed to give them info. Since, I called the office I went ahead and just asked Dr. Wagner if they have started reveiwing applications and she confirmed that they did but letters of acceptance will probably not go out till March.

Good Luck to everyone!!! Unforuanetly I have not been reviewed because they review dual degree people seperately :(.. But I hope you all hear good news soon...

For the MBS program, is it better to apply to the Stratford campus, where they have the DO program, if I'm only interested in DO afterwards.
Thanks

For the MBS program, is it better to apply to the Stratford campus, where they have the DO program, if I'm only interested in DO afterwards.
Thanks

I would say absolutely. From my reading of the 2009 version of this thread, I understand that the Stratford program is smaller (which lead people do deduce that it is more selective). I also believe I read that the program has been successful in placing people in both MD and DO. And of course, doing a SMP at your state DO school would probably be looked upon favorably when applying to your state DO school. I would apply to both Stratford and Newark.

I would say absolutely. From my reading of the 2009 version of this thread, I understand that the Stratford program is smaller (which lead people do deduce that it is more selective). I also believe I read that the program has been successful in placing people in both MD and DO. And of course, doing a SMP at your state DO school would probably be looked upon favorably when applying to your state DO school. I would apply to both Stratford and Newark.

Only one problem, I'm from CA. I know that they do take out of state applicants for the MBS (at Stratford anyway). But realistically, what are the odds of OSS ppl getting in?

Only one problem, I'm from CA. I know that they do take out of state applicants for the MBS (at Stratford anyway). But realistically, what are the odds of OSS ppl getting in?

I seem to recall that at least two of the people on the 2009 thread were out of state, one from Canada, you might want to browse the 2009 thread closely to see if you can find any more information about that. I would imagine state affiliation for this kind of program means far less than it does for medical school, but for that statement I have no evidence, just a hunch.

In other news, I received my acceptance letter today =) hooray, hooray! Good luck to everyone :p

Congrats congrats congrats theWUbear!!! U knew u were going to get in so I know u r happy! I hope to hear from them soon as well!

Good Luck everyone!

I seem to recall that at least two of the people on the 2009 thread were out of state, one from Canada, you might want to browse the 2009 thread closely to see if you can find any more information about that. I would imagine state affiliation for this kind of program means far less than it does for medical school, but for that statement I have no evidence, just a hunch.

In other news, I received my acceptance letter today =) hooray, hooray! Good luck to everyone :p

Thanks, that's what I would assume.

hello everybody, i know everybody is waiting but has anyone heard back in regards to their acceptance or rejection??

Hello,

Nope I have not heard back from them yet on whether I was accepted or not.

If you read earlier posts in this forum you will see that someone did receive an acceptance letter last week so I do believe they have started sending out decision letters for the MBS program.

I hope this helps.

I called earlier today, they're still looking at applications. They aren't reviewing predents until later this week. pre-med ppl get first dibs I guess. I'd guess 1-2 weeks for us to receive notification.

ok thank you so much this does help, i guess i'll just sit and wait... good luck to you guys

Hey guys,

Do you think these spots fill up really quickly? I'm planning on applying towards the end of april because I plan on taking the GRE at the beginning so I was just wondering if I was even going to have a chance...I am pre-dental also.