UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just accepted to the MBS program in Stratford!

Members don't see this ad.

sjs: Somewhere on the 2009 page I believe I remember seeing someone getting in the middle of June...so it is possible. I imagine the earlier the better, though.

penguin: grats, too bad stratford doesn't have a good pre-dental option like Newark :/.

Hey guys,

Do you think these spots fill up really quickly? I'm planning on applying towards the end of april because I plan on taking the GRE at the beginning so I was just wondering if I was even going to have a chance...I am pre-dental also.

Hey,

The application deadline is June 15th. So its never to late to apply but I would apply as early as possible to increase your chances to get in.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone is planning a trip to the admissions office, they have moved from the administration complex to the medical science building (MSB) room 696. I'm not sure if the move is permanent or not.

Thanks kaDa! yeah which is why i'm waiting to hear back from newark...i guess we'll see

hey guys ..i applied to both newark and stratford programs 3weeks ago . I got accepted at stratford today! still waiting to hear back from newark..soo if anyone has any questions feel free to ask .

Is it still okay for me to apply for FALL 2010 just now? Or is it late?

Is it still okay for me to apply for FALL 2010 just now? Or is it late?

In my opinion, it is definitely not late. I believe this based on the size of the program (~120 students) and the fact that one of the target populations for matriculants is people who didn't get in to MD this round and need a backup plan for a year - these people may be starting to work on backup plans now.

The "application acknowledged but incomplete" email I got when I submitted my app but hadn't sent in transcript said "All supporting documents must be received by the application deadline, June 1, 2010 in order for your application to be reviewed."

Hello all,

I was just notified that I got into the combined MBS/MPH program!! I didn't receive my acceptance letter yet from them but I got an email from the Public Health School but I then called the GSBS to confirm. Dr. Wagner said that their acceptance is not through email but regular mail but I guess the Public Health school got to me before they did. :)

Now I have a tough decision to make because I received appectance at Tufts MBS program and realized that I can do a combined MBS/MPH there as well in a shorter time frame... I will be happy either way because I atleast have choices which is great!! I just wish Tufts wasn't so expensive. Being a Jersey resident doing this program would economically make sense but I think I may like the Tufts program better. If anyone have any advise that would be great!!

I wish everyone else the best of luck!!!

Congrats! You have a difficult cost-analysis decision to make - since time saved working on the masters may lead to earlier acceptance to medical school, which would lead to income in an earlier year. While on the other side UMDNJ is cheaper up front. Good luck with your decision, keep us informed :)

I'm also applying to UMDNJ Newark. Just got my applicatin complete letter by snail mail today (dated 3/16). I sent transcripts and LORs in January. Sent my application on 2/24. Took my GRE on 3/3. Now it's time to sit back and wait - hopefully for a big envelope. :xf:

Hey everyone!! To everyone who got accepted to UMD Newark, what scores did you get on the GRE? Also, to everyone that applied to UMD Newark and are still waiting for a decision, what GRE scores did you submit? I hear the average is a 480 verbal and 640 math. I mean, are they really gonna deny you if you don't get around a 600 math?

Just got the acceptance letter to Newark. Now I need to start deciding between new jersey or the barry program in florida...hmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if those who applied to both stratford and newark...did you do two completely separate essays about how the program was going to help you or did you just change it around a little bit?

well I would take UMDNJ over Barry any day but I guess it depends on what you want...the former is an SMP, the later is a master's built around classes with their podiatry program. Miami Shores is much better location than Newark most any day of the year however...

well I would take UMDNJ over Barry any day but I guess it depends on what you want...the former is an SMP, the later is a master's built around classes with their podiatry program. Miami Shores is much better location than Newark most any day of the year however...

Yea, I'm not thinking too hard about it since I still need to hear back from BUMAMS and Tulane (which won't decide until the middle of June :mad:). The Barry program isn't as good, but I'm kind of thinking if it will get me into D-school and doesn't stress me out too much then it might not be a bad option. However, having a heads up after taking actual D-school classes would help more with my future class ranking...There's a few more things to consider too, but these are probably the heaviest to weigh...

Accepted to newark! Now I just need to decide between newark & stratford :/.

sjs887- when i wrote my ps for both schools I just changed it around a little bit.

So...for anybody who is looking into stratford...

I found out about taking the medical courses. It's not like newark where they base it upon gpa and mcat scores.

You can take medical courses as long as you're matriculated; medical courses do start about a month earlier than the mbs courses though. Only two medical courses can be counted towards the mbs degree however.

I'm predental, but will probably end up taking medical biochemistry and maybe medical physiology. This route is a bit more appealing than the Newark predental program because dental biochemistry/physio at newark are hard to get into and there are no guarantees that you'll get to take them.

Besides, I can't imagine dental biochemistry being any less or more difficult then medical biochemistry. I think medical biochemistry will equally demonstrate one's ability to handle the rigors of first year biochemistry....same goes for physio.

Hey everyone, I was accepted to UMDNJ and I'll most likely be attending in the fall. I'm predental from FL so I'll be new to the Newark area but I've heard positive things from this program and look forward to attending. Thinking about staying at the 180 West Market housing, anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Hey everyone, I was accepted to UMDNJ and I'll most likely be attending in the fall. I'm predental from FL so I'll be new to the Newark area but I've heard positive things from this program and look forward to attending. Thinking about staying at the 180 West Market housing, anyone else thinking of doing the same?

180 West Market is a great call - its right next to the med school library where you may be spending most of your time, and its right on campus. I would live there, but I'm 15 minutes away so I'll be at home.

Thanks -- that was my question as well. I just got accepted to the Newark BMS program for the fall. I'm also waiting to hear back from RFU's program, but I'm trying to check out housing and everything in the mean time. From what I can tell the on-campus housing seems best.

I'm a little nervous, just because I'm from Austin and this will be my first time in the area. Do you guys think I should be bringing my car up with me, or is it more practical just to use mass transit?

any females here attending stratford? I am looking for a roommate! PM me if interested!

Hello,

I just found out about this program and submitted application today and I was wondering what "release form" is:confused:

MS Applicants:
- Completed application, non-refundable $40 application fee. :thumbup:
- All academic transcripts :thumbup:
- GRE, MCAT or DAT score report :thumbup:
- Two Letters of recommendation :thumbup:
- Release Form :confused::confused:

oops, i found release form.. sorry~
would like to erase previous post but don't know how:(

Does anyone know if there is a deadline to apply for housing?

Hey I've been on this forum for a while now but this is my first post. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far I just received my acceptance too!

p.s. someone should make a facebook group for this years newark class (since I don't know how to) :)

Does anyone know if there is a deadline to apply for housing?
I don't think there's a deadline at least until June or so, but I would guess that the on-campus housing is in pretty high demand considering the area. I was planning on getting my vaccination Wednesday and then sending out the housing forms that day.

Is anyone applying to dental school for Fall 2011 matriculation? I'm a little concerned that the MBS courseload will be too much to do in just a year... I've heard that UMDNJ really pushes for a 1.5-year program.

Thanks TsunamiWave7! Yeah I was thinking the same thing the sooner the better. I'm a pre-dent but im prob going to do the program in 1.5yr

Last edited:
hey do you guys have any idea how many seats have been filled at the stratford campus?

Thanks TsunamiWave7! Yeah I was thinking the same thing the sooner the better. I'm a pre-dent but im prob going to do the program in 1.5yr

I think only newark pushes the 1.5 year program.

FWIW, this person says 1 year is doable at stratford
http://som.umdnj.edu/gsbstrat/adm/msb-message.htm

Plus there is always the option of summer. I think someone said that newark didn't offer summer class.

I don't think there's a deadline at least until June or so, but I would guess that the on-campus housing is in pretty high demand considering the area. I was planning on getting my vaccination Wednesday and then sending out the housing forms that day.

Is anyone applying to dental school for Fall 2011 matriculation? I'm a little concerned that the MBS courseload will be too much to do in just a year... I've heard that UMDNJ really pushes for a 1.5-year program.

I'm considering applying for the Fall 2011 matriculation for dental school...It definitely doesn't look like its going to be easy but i think you can do it since the deadlines are usually Feb of 2011...I'll take the DATs in September (and if i don't do so well i could still take it in December) and if i get into this program...i'll just send out my fall semester grades and hope for the best?

Also how did people send out their LORs? Just had the professors mail it? Or can you do it electronically? I can't seem to get in touch with the program people so i figured i'd ask here...

Last edited:
That's sort of what I'm doing. I took the DAT once and just did okay (AA 19); I'm taking it again in May and then applying in June. Hopefully it works out for both of us!

I had my professors mail their letters, just because I've had problems with electronic LORs in the past. But I applied to so many grad schools that I can't really remember whether or not UMDNJ was one that allowed electronic submission anyways.

ETA: Someone from the 2009 GSBS thread had talked to the Newark program director and had worked out a plan to take 10 hrs in the Fall, 11 in the Spring, a 3 hour summer class, and then have 6 hours transferred over from whichever dental school they attended to count for the rest of the 30 hours. That would allow them to do it in a year without taking too many hours per term.

Does anyone know if there are any employment opportunities after completion of the program? I would ideally like to complete the program in 1 year and have a paid research position during the following year while I'm applying to D-school. Do many students do this? This would be through the Newark program, too...

Hello All,

I just got accepted into the UMDNJ-GSBS Program as well!

Does anyone know if there are any employment opportunities after completion of the program? I would ideally like to complete the program in 1 year and have a paid research position during the following year while I'm applying to D-school. Do many students do this? This would be through the Newark program, too...

I haven't heard of anyone in the school doing that. In the lab I'm in they have to pay for all of their staff with the grants they got for their research, needless to say most labs don't have any employees. Actually, work study isn't even available for research and all master's students must pay for 2 credits and spend 60 hours researching so there is lots of free labor around. So while I haven't done any digging on the subject it seems like internal paid research options are minimal. If you're talking about external employment at least NJ is full of pharmaceutical companies. And while this isn't what you want there is a PhD program there that pays a stipend for its students, but that's a whole different ball game.

Correction to above, some work study is available but not in all labs. It's capped at 20 hours per week like all work study jobs.

Last edited:
Congrats to all of you who have been accepted and good luck to all who are currently playing the wait game. Question for those who have been accepted:

1. How did you receive an acceptance notification through email?
2. How long did it take you to receive your acceptance after completing your application/sending it in?

I got an e-mail from the Newark campus acknowledging that my application was complete on 2/17, and then my acceptance letter came in around 3/19. When did you submit your application?

I got an e-mail from the Newark campus acknowledging that my application was complete on 2/17, and then my acceptance letter came in around 3/19. When did you submit your application?

I sent all my material in on March 30th via priority mail.

I sent all my material in on March 30th via priority mail.

I think they have reviews towards the end of each month. So my guess is you'll be hearing something early in May. Can't hurt to call and ask, though.

Also, do many (or can) master's students take an anatomy course? I've seen one class offered in the spring (Thorax and Abdomen), but I was hoping for something that isnt so focused on just one section of the body...unless it's a head & neck course, since I'm pre-dental :).

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted and good luck to all who are currently playing the wait game. Question for those who have been accepted:

1. How did you receive an acceptance notification through email?
2. How long did it take you to receive your acceptance after completing your application/sending it in?

1. I got my acceptance via snail mail on March 28th.

2. Got my "app complete" email on 3/23/10 and I got my acceptance on 3/28/10 (mailed on 3/25/10).

Edit: I also want to add that I was accepted to the Newark campus

Last edited:
1. I got my acceptance via snail mail on March 28th.

2. Got my "app complete" email on 3/23/10 and I got my acceptance on 3/28/10 (mailed on 3/25/10).

Edit: I also want to add that I was accepted to the Newark campus

That's interesting that you got your app complete via email. I got mine from Newark by snail mail dated March 16th and I'm still waiting to hear back. I got an app complete email from Stratford on 4/5 and they told me 2-4 weeks. I submitted my app to them like 3 weeks before.

I got my app complete 12/9 via email, sent an update letter (fall 2009 grades) ~12/20, sent updated transcript ~early jan, received acceptance ~2/23 (all newark)

That's interesting that you got your app complete via email. I got mine from Newark by snail mail dated March 16th and I'm still waiting to hear back. I got an app complete email from Stratford on 4/5 and they told me 2-4 weeks. I submitted my app to them like 3 weeks before.

lol, to be honest, I think it’s strange that you got a notice of completion via snail mail and not by e-mail. I applied to a bunch of SMP's and not one of them sent a notice of completion through the regular mail (except Drexel IMS). Speaking of Drexel, when are they going to get with the 21st century and have an online application? really? But I digress…

Anywho, it’ll work out. If I got in with my scores, you can get in. Plus, us pre-meds gotta stick together so these pre-dents don’t run us out :p

I think they have reviews towards the end of each month. So my guess is you'll be hearing something early in May. Can't hurt to call and ask, though.

oh man im in the same boat

Sooo.. where are people going to live? I'm from Florida so I don't know the area at all. I saw a few places from the 09 UMDNJ thread, any other locations people know of? My wife is probably going to attend Rutgers, so I was thinking half way in between but i have no idea what traffic is like in Newark.

Sooo.. where are people going to live? I'm from Florida so I don't know the area at all. I saw a few places from the 09 UMDNJ thread, any other locations people know of? My wife is probably going to attend Rutgers, so I was thinking half way in between but i have no idea what traffic is like in Newark.

Traffic is near nonexistent in Newark. I believe there might be traffic at 8AM on irving turner blvd and springfield ave (i would say the biggest intersection in the immediate vicinity of the med school) just because its morning rush hour - leading to a ten minute delay. otherwise i've never seen traffic. Btw, I should be able to answer other Newark/UMDNJ specific questions if anyone has any, just post away.

Hey WUBear:

· What are the good AND bad areas within 30 minutes of UMDNJ?

· What are good AND bad apartment complexes within 30 minutes of UMDNJ?

Basically, I'm trying to find out where I need to start looking for apartments and where I can single them down so when I go up there in a few weeks I don't have to spend too much time looking and I can just sign a lease before I have to come back down.