UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my acceptance letter today! Stratford here i come!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance to Stratford today too!!!! I thought it was from newark at first. I had compose myself to read which school it came from after anxiously tearing apart the envelope. I'm surprised the letter is still in one piece - literally.

Hey WUBear:

· What are the good AND bad areas within 30 minutes of UMDNJ?

· What are good AND bad apartment complexes within 30 minutes of UMDNJ?

Northern NJ/the NYC metropolitan area is about the densest location on earth; within half an hour you have almost all of the northern half new jersey, manhattan, brooklyn, queens. That introduction was meant to be educational but is definitely not practical - lots of traffic getting into NYC, etc. Hoboken is a hip area with young people and bars, Jersey City is another place people get apts in during mid 20's...I am assuming you are looking for the wider picture because you have a car and don't mind a 15 minute commute. People without cars usually do 180 market street, and there's another place called society hill I believe. A lot of NJIT, Rutgers-Newark, and UMDNJ students live in "University Center" which is walking distance. It seems to have a website: http://univcentre.com/. I would give that place the thumbs up, as the only place I've ever seen the inside of - its pretty new and looked safe/nice.

Since I graduated college in the midwest I've moved back in with the parents in the Short Hills area so I am not otherwise too knowledgeable about apartments in the UMDNJ area. I You might want to hop on the NJMS 2010 thread and see what people are saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I just took my GREs and I did pretty terrible on them. Got 580 in math and 390 in verbal :( Anyone know how much weight the GRE has on getting accepted and if anyone has gotten accepted with a score less than 1000??

Thanks

Hello to all I just received my acceptance letter today to Newark. But I am in a debate with myself, what are the pro's and what are the con's for this program. I know there are people that know more about this program then I do and I hope you guys can shine some light on this for me.

I got my acceptance from Newark today!!! I was debating between the Newark and Stratford program, but I think I will eventually go to Newark because of the variety of courses offered, even though I like that Stratford is a small program and I'm probably going to go to a DO school anyway.

Hey Guys,

I just took my GREs and I did pretty terrible on them. Got 580 in math and 390 in verbal :( Anyone know how much weight the GRE has on getting accepted and if anyone has gotten accepted with a score less than 1000??

Thanks

I think there were people who got in with less than 1000 GRE. I know someone who got in to Stratford with less than 900, but he also had a MCAT in the mid 20's.

Thanks WUbear.
It’s good to know not to live on the northern parts. So you think it’s reasonable to drive to class every day of you live east or west? I was thinking of living in either somewhere in Jersey City or in the South Orange area. I will have 2 cars (My wife and I) so I’m trying to find a condo or townhouse for rent rather than an apartment if possible, in those areas. But basically I just want to make sure it’s a reasonable amount of time to drive from either of those places and park and UMDNJ. Which reminds me, do you know about the parking at UMDNJ, are the garages always full?

I got my acceptance from Newark today!!! I was debating between the Newark and Stratford program, but I think I will eventually go to Newark because of the variety of courses offered, even though I like that Stratford is a small program and I'm probably going to go to a DO school anyway.

Can't hurt. Plus, doesn't Stratford have to do a thesis?

Last edited:
Hello to all I just received my acceptance letter today to Newark. But I am in a debate with myself, what are the pro's and what are the con's for this program. I know there are people that know more about this program then I do and I hope you guys can shine some light on this for me.

Biggest drawback is that of the 100ish students accepted only about 15 can take the Medical School course.

Biggest drawback is that of the 100ish students accepted only about 15 can take the Medical School course.

True. Even if DO is not your cup of tea, there are no strings attached at stratford. All MBS students get to take up to two medical courses.

I think it's a good opportunity to take core medical courses...just my two cents. Can't imagine the core medical courses like medical biochemistry being all that different between an allopathic and osteopathic school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really... That sucks the big one, if that is the case what does the left over 85 students take??

I think there were people who got in with less than 1000 GRE. I know someone who got in to Stratford with less than 900, but he also had a MCAT in the mid 20's.

Someone on the tufts forum said i was screwed. I'm really considering retaking it...but thats gonna be cutting it close to deadline. It's so frustrating how this may just be the reason I can't get into any of these programs...

For those who hold acceptances to Stratford and Newark, which one are you attending?!?! :confused:

I've only had experience with the one garage I have access to, but I don't believe I've ever seen a garage completely filled at UMDNJ. South Orange is a good area, and closer than I am to Newark; you would'nt find any problems with that commute. I also know people who commute from Jersey City so that would also work out fine.

Hey Everybody,

I just got accepted into the UMDNJ-GSBS Program at Newark as well!

congratulations to all of you who got accepted!! I have someuestions. I sent in my application materials and got an email saying I was complete. Do they offer interviews or just evaluate you based on your materials? Also for those accepted, how soon after being complete did you hear back?

thanks
but how soon should i be expecting a response? i got complete on the 20th but may be going out of the country soon once the semester ends, should i call to ask?

I think early each month they send out letters, but I could be wrong since they're probably getting more applicants this time of the year. Yea, can't hurt to call and ask.

thanks
but how soon should i be expecting a response? i got complete on the 20th but may be going out of the country soon once the semester ends, should i call to ask?

It was very fast. I was completed on the 12th and got my acceptance letter on the 16th (letter was dated 4/14/10). So within 4 days from being complete... I was suprise how fast it was cuz I submitted my other SMP applications and was completed way before than this and I still haven't heard from them.

You either? I applied to 5 SMP programs and have still only heard back from UMDNJ. It's not a big deal since this one was my top choice, but it's still a little strange.

ACCEPTED!! WOOT!!
Man i ve been wanting to write that on a thread lol I know its not med school but its something...
And yeah, if I were to send the deposit of $100 and decide to go another program before June 1st, I get the refund right?

Congrats! Yeah I think it says the $100 is refundable until June 1st on the acceptance letter.

Does anyone know anything about the traffic driving from jersey city to newark?

I was informed my application was also completed 4/20, when I call today, I was informed my application is on hold. Does anyone know what that means? :confused:

I know the deadline is june 1st but I was wondering if I just applied if I could find out if I got in before june 1?
Also what were some MCAT scores submitted? Thanks

Congrats to all to accepted and good luck to those waiting.

Do you know how often the committee meets to decide?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I was just accepted for the certificate program @ stratford... do you know if you can change that to a masters or would I have to reapply? Does just a certificate look bad to dental schools?

Thanks

anyone from California going to the Newark campus?

Well guys, I will be withdrawing my acceptance to UMDNJ-Newark. Hopefully this will open up a seat for those of you still waiting for an acceptance.

I got accepted to Drexel's MSP program.

how long does this program take to complete? I am applying for Fall 2011 medical school admission and wondering if I would be able to complete this porgram in 1 year? Also, would you guys recommend this program? Is it good?

is there a facebook group for Stratford?

does anyone know how i can get my deposit back? I know they return till June 1st, but there is no instruction on how to get it back.
Thanks

does anyone know how i can get my deposit back? I know they return till June 1st, but there is no instruction on how to get it back.
Thanks

Simple:

I sent an e-mail to Mayra Marallano at [email protected] and told her I wanted to withdrawal my acceptance.

I then called the next day to verify (since I never got a reply) and they said my refund was on its way. :thumbup:

Hi any pre-dents here?

I am pre-dent (re)applying for the next cycle, and I am not sure what to put for the planned courses. anyone?

hey does anyone know about off campus housing, and if it is cheaper than on campus? Also, is the newark area safe? do you need a car in that area?

If anybody is looking for a male roommate at the Stratford campus let me know!

Hey so what do ppl wear to class? Is it like professional? Or can I wear sweats n stuff?

Just got an email saying I am selected for the dental physio class =)

Just got an email saying I am selected for the dental physio class =)

woww congratulations. are you a first or third semester student? I was told MGM decisions would not be until at least July - of course its possible that these two decisions are made by different people on different schedules. Congrats again

woww congratulations. are you a first or third semester student? I was told MGM decisions would not be until at least July - of course its possible that these two decisions are made by different people on different schedules. Congrats again

Hey thanks, what do you mean by first or third semester student?
This fall will be my first semester if this is what you are asking =)

first year incoming pre-dental student. got into dental physio class as well.

for those of you who are receiving emails about getting into dental physio are they coming to your UMDNJ email?

I just applied two weeks ago and I wanted to know if anyone just sent in their application, and if so do you know how long before UMDNJ GSBS tell you if you are accepted?

How can we request to be in the dental physio classes?

A major reason why I applied to this program was because we could take these classes with dental students, and I'm flying across the country to live in Newark!

I think it's really selective, khentoog. Reading last year's thread, it looks like they only take a few students every year, based on GPA and DAT scores. I feel your pain, though -- I'm also flying in from across the country, and it was definitely annoying to hear after making my decision how restricted the dental portion actually is.