UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2010

Started by diva09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was going to try to get into Dental Seminar, Fundamentals I, the two Dental Biomaterials classes, Structural Bio, and Toxicology.

Basically, my goal is to fit in as many dental courses as I can without sacrificing my GPA along the way. Is anyone else aiming to finish their 30 credit hours by the end of June?
 
would you happen to know anything about the class metallic systems dental biomaterials?

From the UMDNJ website:
http://njms.umdnj.edu/gsbs/current_students/descriptions.htm#8

DENT5150 Metallic Systems in Dental Biomaterials Sciences. 2 cr. Fall and Spring
This course will focus on the general structural configuration of metallic materials as opposed to nonmetallic materials. Emphasis will be on the types of bonds, crystallography of metallic materials and their unique properties. Mechanical behavior and microscopic and microstructural characteristics of metallic materials will be discussed in terms of phase diagrams and phase transition. Typical dental alloy systems will be discussed.

😀
 
Anyone figure out what classes they want to take, I'm looking at Fund 1, Pharm, Dental Seminar, Metalic systems dental biomaterials, and maybe the lab rotation, not really 100% on that yet.

yep, im taking both fundamentals , lab rotation and seminar and then im adding on a lab rotation also. Im taking CIHA med school coarse in the summer. ANd spring im still working out but i wanna be finished in a year
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i am accepted for the gsbs, but I am so sure i could be done in a year, is it possible to switch to a certificate program so I'll only need 15 credits and be for sure done in a year? Hhas anyone tried this route?
 
so i am accepted for the gsbs, but I am so sure i could be done in a year, is it possible to switch to a certificate program so I'll only need 15 credits and be for sure done in a year? Hhas anyone tried this route?

There isn't much value in a certificate program from a medical school perspective. You can totally do the program in one year. GSBS even posted a suggested curriculum here. Good luck!
 
Is there anyone still looking for a roomate? im in desperate need of housing🙁
 
hi guys, i got in but im jw about financial aid. i received a package but it was about 30k less than my cost of attendance (all i received were the stafford loans). this wasnt even enough to cover my tuition and leaves me totally screwed for food/rent/their required health insurance. can i request more financial aid or does everyone just get the stafford loans? is this package final or was it just a preliminary package?
 
hi guys, i got in but im jw about financial aid. i received a package but it was about 30k less than my cost of attendance (all i received were the stafford loans). this wasnt even enough to cover my tuition and leaves me totally screwed for food/rent/their required health insurance. can i request more financial aid or does everyone just get the stafford loans? is this package final or was it just a preliminary package?

You need to apply for a grad plus loan. You are eligible for up to the maximum cost of education (tuition and room and board, etc) minus what you have already received; provided that your credit is decent. I don't know what the minimum credit score is.
 
You need to apply for a grad plus loan. You are eligible for up to the maximum cost of education (tuition and room and board, etc) minus what you have already received; provided that your credit is decent. I don't know what the minimum credit score is.

theres no perkins loan or any other need base loan other than the two stafford loans? I'd think i'd get a work study award at least. (i received a pell grant in undergrand just to give you a sense of my parent's income)
 
Hey guys need some insight on how I should study for this class, I have been reading the book and going over his lectures. I am wondering if there is anything else I can add on to my study program.

Thanks
 
Any success stories from those who went through the program? I cannot seem to find any information regarding how this program actually helped people get into med school. If any of you are still out there, please do share the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks. Peace.
 
Any success stories from those who went through the program? I cannot seem to find any information regarding how this program actually helped people get into med school. If any of you are still out there, please do share the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks. Peace.

I'm currently a first year in the MBS program. I know a few people who've been successful, mostly New Jersey residents getting into NJMS and are also getting interviews at outside schools. From my own inquiries, the percentage of acceptances are rising every year, especially to NJMS. Seems like if you do well, the opportunities will open up for you. It seems that the program is poorly publicized because there is a lack of communication or break between the administration and matriculating medical and dental students.
 
I'm currently a first year in the MBS program. I know a few people who've been successful, mostly New Jersey residents getting into NJMS and are also getting interviews at outside schools. From my own inquiries, the percentage of acceptances are rising every year, especially to NJMS. Seems like if you do well, the opportunities will open up for you. It seems that the program is poorly publicized because there is a lack of communication or break between the administration and matriculating medical and dental students.

That's great news! I'm curious if this is only for the students who have taken and done well in the medical school courses (very few). I'm wondering if the program helps for those students who have done well in the program but were not selected to take medical school courses. Do you have any idea about whether these students are successful into NJMS, or other schools for that matter?
 
I know that this thread isn't for the class of 2012 (entering Fall 2011) but since I didn't find it, I figure I'd ask anyways.

I'm a pre-dent and because of my GPA, I will need to apply for a SMP. The program that is offered at the Newark campus is a top choice of mine but I sort of have a dilemma on my hands: I am not taking my DAT until May-ish. I know that the school has rolling admissions so I am worried that I won't have a chance because of how late I will be applying. Has anyone else had experience with applying late and gaining acceptance? Also, do they have some sort of cut off when it comes to grades? My overall GPA is a 3.1 and my science is a 2.70 (ish).

Thanks for your help!
 
That's great news! I'm curious if this is only for the students who have taken and done well in the medical school courses (very few). I'm wondering if the program helps for those students who have done well in the program but were not selected to take medical school courses. Do you have any idea about whether these students are successful into NJMS, or other schools for that matter?

Everyone I know that got into NJMS from the program took MGM. Dental students have a lot more opportunities to take dental classes. UNfortunately there are time constraints to taking most Med classes and because of that MGM has most value, but it's difficult to get into as a first year unless you apply real early and are a solid candidate. But don't be scared of med classes - You come here to not only improve your apps but to grow as a student - this means to expect to do work and get positive results.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that this thread isn't for the class of 2012 (entering Fall 2011) but since I didn't find it, I figure I'd ask anyways.

I'm a pre-dent and because of my GPA, I will need to apply for a SMP. The program that is offered at the Newark campus is a top choice of mine but I sort of have a dilemma on my hands: I am not taking my DAT until May-ish. I know that the school has rolling admissions so I am worried that I won't have a chance because of how late I will be applying. Has anyone else had experience with applying late and gaining acceptance? Also, do they have some sort of cut off when it comes to grades? My overall GPA is a 3.1 and my science is a 2.70 (ish).

Thanks for your help!

I applied early may and got in around June. I don't know if you necessarily need to take DATs, i think some people here haven't taken it yet, or maybe have only taken it once. My advice to to call the school and find out, because you don't want to miss out. UMDNJ is a great school with a wealth of opportunities. Despite the area its in, it's a gem and I think a lot of pre-dents are having success after coming here from what I have heard.
 
Thanks. I ask because I was planning on taking the test around the begining of May. If the deadline is June 1st, chances are my scores won't make it to the school in time (according to them when I called). This means that I will be late and will have to wait a whole year before I can enter the program. Then I start wondering what I will even do in this extra year [or what will happen if I don't even get in (worst case scenario)].
 
Thanks. I ask because I was planning on taking the test around the begining of May. If the deadline is June 1st, chances are my scores won't make it to the school in time (according to them when I called). This means that I will be late and will have to wait a whole year before I can enter the program. Then I start wondering what I will even do in this extra year [or what will happen if I don't even get in (worst case scenario)].
I think you should try to contact the administrators here, and see what your options. You may not have to wait, A lot of people here have to retake their exams anyways.
 
Got into the SMP? sure. I mean people don't exactly volunteer their past grades, but I think i'm pretty certain there are ppl here with sub 3.0 cGPAs in undergrad and definitely sub 3.0 sGPAs.

Did anyone or you know someone who got in with GPA less than 3.0?

Thanks!
 
criteria? have a bachelors degree and a pulse.

but seriously, it is pretty easy to get into...i mean it's designed to boost your credentials, so I'm assuming that if you have decent stats and you're in state you're pretty much a shoe in.
 
Hey! I'm new to the forum but im attending the July 27th orientation at Stratford. I have been trying to figure out who's attending that orientation from North Jersey but so far I haven't had any luck in doing so. Is there anyone attending from North Jersey?

I am attending...from New Brunswick