UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They only select 15 people for dental physiology, and 10 people for dental histology. (These numbers are out of all GSBS pre-dental students, not just first year incoming pre-dents)

They say that they select people based on their GPA and DAT score.

If you are selected, you will get an e-mail notification to accept the offer.

I got mine through gmail.

Good luck~

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I would like to apply to the mbs program in stratford. I know its late in the app season and the deadline is july first but do u think I wud have a chance? Mcat is a 23 gpa is a 3.18. Shud I even bother applying. I only have lors for med school, wud they take those? Thanks in advance

Congratulations on getting into dent phys... I hope I get selected :xf: I just want to confirm, all incoming students have to wait until august to receive their registration pin #s to register for classes right... and what classes are you planning on taking?

Members don't see this ad :)
jkimu... I believe planned courses are the classes you plan on taking during the summer or fall semester

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I would like to apply to the mbs program in stratford. I know its late in the app season and the deadline is july first but do u think I wud have a chance? Mcat is a 23 gpa is a 3.18. Shud I even bother applying. I only have lors for med school, wud they take those? Thanks in advance

Dr Yiot I think you should still apply... they will accept your lors for med sch. good luck

I had some questions if anyone could help me. First off, i just joined the fb group, so now its official, im Newark bound :) Second, so dental students want dental physiology, im a pre med student, what courses are offered with medical students and have they sent notifications yet. Also, whats the general criteria used for determining this?
whats the closest airport to the newark campus? i know theres an airport in newark but i dont know how far it is from the school.
finally, hows on campus housing? is it advisable or overpriced? would i be allowed to move off after a semester to find off campus housing?

Hey Dr Yiot, definitely apply! I just got accepted into the MBS program at Newark.

I applied very late in the game to all schools and have gotten a few acceptances thus far. You never know what's gonna happen until you try :p

Here's my timeline for UMDNJ:
Sent online app 5/15
Complete 6/1
Accepted 6/8
Received letter 6/11

Btw, the acceptance letter is a regular sized envelope. Looked like a rejection to me but it wasn't!
I also wrote a cover letter describing my background and what I liked about their program. A light introduction. If you are positive that you will attend if offered acceptance, you can make that known in the cover letter as well. The person I stayed in contact with throughout the application process was Ms. Leslie Lucy, she's very helpful and nice.

Almost forgot my stats:
3.31 cgpa
3.13 sci gpa
26Q MCAT (9 P, 6 V, 11 B)
working on that verbal.....! I was very worried that the verbal score would prevent me from getting in anywhere, but I guess I was wrong. Def need to retake though!

Hey guys,

I found out i got into the MBS program in Newark. I was wondering what classes people were taking and if anyone is doing it in one year. I have been reading this thread and others and im seeing that a lot of people are doing it in 1.5 years.

If you are doing it in a year (Are u taking classes over the summer?) and what classes have you heard are good to take. I want to go to med school next fall and so i was hoping to get the masters done in a year.

also im still trying to figure out housing i feel if i wait any longer im going to need to get off campus housing. Is anyone living in the UC? or at the campus housing?!

Sorry for all the questions im just really nervous

Hey guys,
I just got my letter of admission and will definitely be attending in the fall! Looking forward to this fall and I will keep checking this thread (and of course the facebook group) for updates/info about the program!
:D

just got my acceptance today :) i applied super late cuz i was planning on doing masters in florida which would be much cheaper.

im a predental student and reapplying to dental schools this summer. my dat is ok but my undergrad gpa was the problem when i applied last year.
my concern is that my new gpa in masters program wont be included in the application so im still debating if i should go to umdnj starting this fall, thinking about all the tuition, living expenses, moving and etc...

should i just stay in my home state and do master or go to umdnj?
please let me know how likely students in the program at umdnj gets into dschools while they are in the program.

any comments about the program at umdnj would be appreciated.
thank you in advance!!!

Hey guys,

for those who just got accepted...when did you submit your app by? Up till now, Newark didn't have my transcripts (altho i sent those in march) and they emailed me yesterday and told me that they found it....so now I don't know how long its going to take but maybe I can get a rough idea from you guys....also was the acceptance via post or email or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

for those who just got accepted...when did you submit your app by? Up till now, Newark didn't have my transcripts (altho i sent those in march) and they emailed me yesterday and told me that they found it....so now I don't know how long its going to take but maybe I can get a rough idea from you guys....also was the acceptance via post or email or both?

sent mine back in the winter, and got accepteance around march. many people send around may and got an acceptance like 3 days later. really, i think everyone gets in, i havnt heard of many people who has gotten denied (although its becuase no one wants to say they got denied). my stats werent too good and i got in, but i got denied for nova's program.

so...unless you have like a 2.0 and a 15 on the MCAT/DAT, you'll more than likely get in.

sent mine back in the winter, and got accepteance around march. many people send around may and got an acceptance like 3 days later. really, i think everyone gets in, i havnt heard of many people who has gotten denied (although its becuase no one wants to say they got denied). my stats werent too good and i got in, but i got denied for nova's program.

so...unless you have like a 2.0 and a 15 on the MCAT/DAT, you'll more than likely get in.

ya i really hope i get in...i sent mine in to have it arrive by June 1st and then i got a post saying that i had to send in my transcript which was finally dealt with yesterday so i'm hoping in the next week or so i'll know. I have a 3.18 undergrad and 3.31 grad...i didn't take the dats...took the GREs instead and got an 1100 the second time...i'm crossing my fingers! congrats to you!

Hey guys!

If anyone is interested in a 3 bedroom/3bathroom apartment at the University Centre (in Newark, NJ) please let me know! I need somebody to replace my spot, or I can't get out of my lease, so if you're interested or know anyone else that is, please message me.

Rent is $979/month. You don't pay for utilities, except your electric bill. You get your own private bedroom (comes with a full-size bed) and bathroom, so you don't need to share with anyone, and they have 24 hour security. Apartments are also fully furnished, and the rooms have personal locks on it so no one can get to your personal stuff.

The university centre is also next to Rutgers, NJIT, UMDNJ-Newark, and really close to Montclair State.

Thanks guys!

What made you guys decide to choose UMDNJ?

In case I don't get in anywhere else...I'm choosing among UMDNJ, VCU, and NYMC (2 year track) and I'm not sure what to do...

What made you guys decide to choose UMDNJ?

In case I don't get in anywhere else...I'm choosing among UMDNJ, VCU, and NYMC (2 year track) and I'm not sure what to do...

This program could be completed in one year. You could also take classes with real dental/medical students (although for some classes, you have to be selected based on ur gpa/dat or mcat score). If you decided to stay and go to dental/medical school at UMDNJ, it's even better.

hmm...thanks! Do you know if UMDNJ favors instate students for their med school? Also...do they do the whole guarantee-an-interview-thing if you do well in their program? I know VCU guarantees you an interview if you maintain a 3.5 gpa or above...Thanks a lot :)

oh...I guess what I'm trying to say is...is the UMDNJ program a good linkage program? (to their own med school or to any others?)

Last edited:
It was encouraging to hear some of you recently got accepted in the beginning of June - however I STILL do not have an acceptance or rejection for UMDNJ GSBS Newark...am I the only one?!?!?!

By the way, UMDNJ does have all of the required documents, and I spoke to Mrs. Lucy a few times, she just kept saying my application is under review, she hinted that I was on some sort of waiting list.

Is ANYONE else in the same boat?? :scared:

It was encouraging to hear some of you recently got accepted in the beginning of June - however I STILL do not have an acceptance or rejection for UMDNJ GSBS Newark...am I the only one?!?!?!

By the way, UMDNJ does have all of the required documents, and I spoke to Mrs. Lucy a few times, she just kept saying my application is under review, she hinted that I was on some sort of waiting list.

Is ANYONE else in the same boat?? :scared:

I'm still waiting for a letter too. I think I got accepted because I got an email from Ms. Lucy congratulating me and telling me that I need to send in my master's transcript once the degree is awarded (for my current masters)...I'll be pretty upset if they lied...but just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one waiting! good luck!

I'm still waiting for a letter too. I think I got accepted because I got an email from Ms. Lucy congratulating me and telling me that I need to send in my master's transcript once the degree is awarded (for my current masters)...I'll be pretty upset if they lied...but just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one waiting! good luck!

you are getting your master's degree and getting another one at the UMDNJ? o_O?

Last edited:
Got my acceptance letter today =)

Is anyone doing the 180 W Market on-campus housing? I assumed we would have gotten contact information for our roommates by now.

I am, I got my apt number but no info on roomates yet.

Is anyone doing the 180 W Market on-campus housing? I assumed we would have gotten contact information for our roommates by now.

I'm trying - I was only just recently accepted though and just sent in my housing app 2 days ago so I haven't heard anything, hope they're not booked!

I don't know, it seems like they have a lot of demand. I applied back in May for a 1BR/1BA but ended up getting my last choice, a 3BR/1BA apartment. Good luck, though!

i think im super behind on applying for housing. im a predent and coming from florida. i dont know anything about nj and was wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate.

Hello everyone, I have been accepted into the GSBS in Newark program and will start this fall. I hope to see some of you in classes.

Hey everyone. I've been accepted to UMDNJ Newark for the fall. I saw the posts about the classes with Pre-meds not being gauranteed - could someone please clarify? Also, what is the grading like- are we graded against the med-curve or as a part of the med class? Does anyone have any insight on the success rates, or have any of you spoken to any current MBS students? Thanks

hmm...thanks! Do you know if UMDNJ favors instate students for their med school? Also...do they do the whole guarantee-an-interview-thing if you do well in their program? I know VCU guarantees you an interview if you maintain a 3.5 gpa or above...Thanks a lot :)

oh...I guess what I'm trying to say is...is the UMDNJ program a good linkage program? (to their own med school or to any others?)

As a state school, UMDNJ heavily favors in-state students for all of their programs.

i think im super behind on applying for housing. im a predent and coming from florida. i dont know anything about nj and was wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate.

Have you heard anything from housing yet?

Hey guys for the UMDNJ fedaid form how much money are you guys requesting? I'm an independent and I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much money i'll actually need for the school year.

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could tell me more about what the GSBS Stratford campus has to offer. I am interested in attending Dental School later on and I'm concerned that I will not be able to take courses that will help boost my dental school application at this campus

Just arrived in stratford....

God what a dump.....

anyone know if the piscataway program is good. I got into the newark program but i hear the piscataway program which started this year grants an interview in the spring for the masters students to matriculate into the next incoming class. But it's so new that I have no clue if I should take that over newark's.

Anyone have any insight into the UMDNJ Stratford program?

anyone still trying to figure out housing?

anyone still trying to figure out housing?

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out housing too. I'm from out of state, and I was wondering if anyone knew about good housing options that are in a safe area near the campus that doesn't require driving? I tried looking at on-campus housing, but it's pretty much full.

Anybody attending the July 27th orientation for the Stratford MBS program?

Anybody attending the July 27th orientation for the Stratford MBS program?

Hey! I'm new to the forum but im attending the July 27th orientation at Stratford. I have been trying to figure out who's attending that orientation from North Jersey but so far I haven't had any luck in doing so. Is there anyone attending from North Jersey?

Anybody doing Stratford's orientation on August 12th?

hey guys i'm thinking about applying this program this year (my senior year) do any of you know about the general success rate of this program at all three campuses.

Just a heads up: If you want to take med school class in the fall its mandatory that you attend the orientation on July 27.....

Anyone figure out what classes they want to take, I'm looking at Fund 1, Pharm, Dental Seminar, Metalic systems dental biomaterials, and maybe the lab rotation, not really 100% on that yet.

would you happen to know anything about the class metallic systems dental biomaterials?