UMDNJ GSBS MBS Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, anyone from Newark received their financial aid packet or info yet? I turned in all the necessary things several weeks ago and I'm not sure how long it take for them to process it. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone looking into living for next year at the Stratford campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone looking into living for next year at the Stratford campus?

Yeah, I went down there a few weeks ago to see about some apartments. I think rent is between 700 and 900. If you're looking for a roomate, let me know!

Could someone comment on the program in the Piscataway campus..
what is/are the best place/s the live? How was the program as a whole?
Also, do the programs differ greatly between campuses or are they more or less the same?

anyone know whens the latest we would hear back by? i applied early may. also, do they usually send you a confirmation email when your application is complete?

anyone know whens the latest we would hear back by? i applied early may. also, do they usually send you a confirmation email when your application is complete?

I applied to Newark and my acceptance letter came via snail mail in about 3-4 weeks after I turned it in. I actually didn't receive any notification from them in regards to my application completion. After I turned in my application, the next correspondence I got from them was my acceptance letter. I hope that helps! :)

Hey guys, anyone heard back from the Piscataway campus already? When did you hear back from them?

I applied to Newark and my acceptance letter came via snail mail in about 3-4 weeks after I turned it in. I actually didn't receive any notification from them in regards to my application completion. After I turned in my application, the next correspondence I got from them was my acceptance letter. I hope that helps! :)

:thumbup: congrats on your acceptance!

Yes this helps alot! i am going to be applying in a few days, so hopefully i hear back within that time frame. I also noticed that they pushed back the deadline from june 1st to june 15th. anyone else notice that?

oh wow i did notice that! maybe they need more people for the program?? lol

Hey guys, anyone heard back from the Piscataway campus already? When did you hear back from them?

I heard back from the Piscataway campus on 5/20 and I was complete on 5/1.

And if anyone can share their experiences with this program, it would be very, very much appreciated :)

Hi everyone,
I'll be attending UMDNJ-MBS in the fall. I've never been to New Jersey and am moving from California. Do I need a car, and is it best to do on campus housing? As of now, I've applied for housing at 180 West Market. Is anyone living at University Centre or checked out any of the other housing options? If anyone could let me know some more details, that'd be awesome. Just trying to figure out the nitty-gritty. Look forward to meeting you all. :)

I live about 20 mins from the area, so i am a bit familiar (i am assume 180 west market is the newark campus --> not that familiar as to know all the street names haha)

but anyways, it's a pretty safe bet that you won't be needing your car on campus. I think almost everything you need is right around you, although the area is not very safe and even during the day time you might want to watch out for muggers. Newark is known for not being very safe. It is also known for it's carjackings. So to save yourself a lot of headaches, you might want to think about not having a car. That being said, the campus does offer a parking lot that can only be accessed via ID card, although i am not sure how safe the lot is.

I hope this helps, but hopefully i will be meeting you! Also, pack lots of warm clothes! because the groundhog was definitely wrong this year :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I live about 20 mins from the area, so i am a bit familiar (i am assume 180 west market is the newark campus --> not that familiar as to know all the street names haha)

but anyways, it's a pretty safe bet that you won't be needing your car on campus. I think almost everything you need is right around you, although the area is not very safe and even during the day time you might want to watch out for muggers. Newark is known for not being very safe. It is also known for it's carjackings. So to save yourself a lot of headaches, you might want to think about not having a car. That being said, the campus does offer a parking lot that can only be accessed via ID card, although i am not sure how safe the lot is.

I hope this helps, but hopefully i will be meeting you! Also, pack lots of warm clothes! because the groundhog was definitely wrong this year :laugh:

Thanks for your insight! I really appreciated this as well since I'm also coming from CA. I was actually looking for slightly cheaper housing than the Grad housing they provided at 180 Market, so I was just browsing at areas near Newark, such as the city of Orange, East Orange, Harrison and even maybe Bloomfield. Therefore, I was planning on taking my car. How to you perceive these cities? Is it worth it to pay a bit cheaper and commute from these areas? Are these cities slightly safer in comparison to Newark?

I apologize for all these questions, I just thought I'd ask someone who is from around that area since you are responding in this thread.

Thanks a lot! :)

Thanks for your insight! I really appreciated this as well since I'm also coming from CA. I was actually looking for slightly cheaper housing than the Grad housing they provided at 180 Market, so I was just browsing at areas near Newark, such as the city of Orange, East Orange, Harrison and even maybe Bloomfield. Therefore, I was planning on taking my car. How to you perceive these cities? Is it worth it to pay a bit cheaper and commute from these areas? Are these cities slightly safer in comparison to Newark?

I apologize for all these questions, I just thought I'd ask someone who is from around that area since you are responding in this thread.

Thanks a lot! :)

No problem. I am responding cuz i want you to know what it's like around the area especially since your coming from the other side of the country. That being said, I used to live in West Orange for a few years and it is a much safer area, (may also be a bit personal bias cuz it wasn't a bad experience and i actually liked living there). Definitely the most safe Orange lol. West Orange is about like 10 minutes MAX from UMDNJ. It might be hard to find a cheaply priced area since the neighborhood is nice, but no harm in trying. I had a few friends who lived in harrison. The places are nice, but if you step outside of the housing developments, especially at night, it may not be the safest choice although i've heard it is litte more safer than newark (not saying much).

I want to throw this out there. On campus housing is SAFE! Its just the area outside of campus, you really only have to cross the street to get into a dangerous neighborhood. It is also convenient since you may want to go into lab or what not, you can just roll out of bed and head to class. But that being said, if you are looking for something cheaper, then West Orange would be a safe bet. It is right around UMDNJ, really close by, just gotta hop on the highway for about 5 minutes and you'll reach there. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :thumbup:

IF anyone else has had other experiences about these places, please contribute. I only offer 1 viewpoint, and it'd be great to hear from others and see what experiences you've had.

EDIT: ALSO, everything is interconnected. So you don't even have to go outside to get to class. I believe you can stay indoors at all times and still make it to class which is also a good thing! So essentially you could "live" indoors at all time haha, unless if you feel the urge to hit up KFC or IHOP across the street lol.

Oh.... :eek: Haha...I'm honestly a little afraid now. Thanks for your input anyhow! It's nice to get an insider's perspective...prepare myself a bit.

MrCharlie, what part of CA are you coming from? I'm in San Diego.

Oh.... :eek: Haha...I'm honestly a little afraid now. Thanks for your input anyhow! It's nice to get an insider's perspective...prepare myself a bit.

MrCharlie, what part of CA are you coming from? I'm in San Diego.

Hi! I'm currently living in LA, but I went to UCSD for my undergrad!

I heard back from the Piscataway campus on 5/20 and I was complete on 5/1.

And if anyone can share their experiences with this program, it would be very, very much appreciated :)

Yay! Glad to hear! :] Congrats!

I would also deeply appreciate hearing about others' experiences with this program.

is there a facebook group for those attending the program this fall? someone should start one!

Has anyone had to choose between PCOM's program and UMDNJ's program? I am torn because they are both so great and the pros and cons basically balance out :confused:

Has anyone had to choose between PCOM's program and UMDNJ's program? I am torn because they are both so great and the pros and cons basically balance out :confused:

Yes, I did. I was torn too, but I chose UMDNJ just because it's the cheapest (for instater like myself), and after one year, you leave with a Masters, whereas PCOM you get a Cert and can get the Masters for double the money (although that isn't the goal obviously, but financially IMO, more bang for your buck).

I also talked to a few people from Stratford, and they said about 1/3 matriculate into SOM, and 70% get into somewhere else (they included other medical schools, vet, etc) This was also from the GSBS admissions... so I figured that UMDNJ-SOM was the most logical decision.

Good luck with the decision! It's definitely tough!

Hey guys,
I will also be attending the program this fall as a pre-med. Prettyyyyy excited!
Do any of you guys know if registering for classes is a first come first serve basis? I've read through the course excel spreadsheet and it says to email professors for certain classes. Do we have to do that now? or is it too early? I know course registration happens after orientation but the time between orientation and the first day of class for most courses isn't a lot of time. Is everyone going to be scrambling and emailing professors then? Am I worrying too much already? haha.

Thanks so much! I really really appreciate your input :)
I am in-state as well and if I go to UMDNJ, I will be doing the 3 semester master's program or maybe even that awesome looking dual degree program. UMDNJ is definitely more bang for your buck. I just want to pick the school that is right for me, you know? Also, the possible linkage at GSBS to SOM looks tempting, and I have heard people get in other places like you said! It just sounds like a better situation, especially since in-state tuition is so nice vs PCOM's $30,000 (as I was told by the adcom at PCOM :eek:) I'll let you know what I come up with via PM! Thanks so much!

Yes, I did. I was torn too, but I chose UMDNJ just because it's the cheapest (for instater like myself), and after one year, you leave with a Masters, whereas PCOM you get a Cert and can get the Masters for double the money (although that isn't the goal obviously, but financially IMO, more bang for your buck).

I also talked to a few people from Stratford, and they said about 1/3 matriculate into SOM, and 70% get into somewhere else (they included other medical schools, vet, etc) This was also from the GSBS admissions... so I figured that UMDNJ-SOM was the most logical decision.

Good luck with the decision! It's definitely tough!

Hey guys,
I will also be attending the program this fall as a pre-med. Prettyyyyy excited!
Do any of you guys know if registering for classes is a first come first serve basis? I've read through the course excel spreadsheet and it says to email professors for certain classes. Do we have to do that now? or is it too early? I know course registration happens after orientation but the time between orientation and the first day of class for most courses isn't a lot of time. Is everyone going to be scrambling and emailing professors then? Am I worrying too much already? haha.

I emailed Dr. Tsiagbe about one of the classes and he responded:

"Incomings students do not need to make a request for Dental Physiology. The strongest candidates are screened for the limited slots available. The process is still ongoing, since the deadline for new applications has been extended to June 15.
You will hear in due course."

Hey guys,

[Speaking with regards to the Newark program as I believe you are] Students starting their second year (who are, obviously, doing the 3 semester method) have emailed professors and registered (for the courses that require professor's permission), so it is not too early to email profs. They will most likely email you back a one sentence "ok" that you will have to forward to the registrar (Barbara Coleman-Lee) to be registered by her for the course. I don't remember how registration worked for first semester, I guess you are saying that you can't register until after orientation. If I were you, I guess I'd email profs for the courses I'm interested in that need the professor "ok" ahead of time so you're good to go when registration opens for you

Anyone started to look for housing other than 180 Market in Newark? If so, where are the best places closest to the school as I am from the west coast and have never been to NJ before.

Anyone know people who are moving out that needs someone to take over a least, etc? I probably won't get a lot of chances to go over there before August so I've been looking up places online near the school...

I heard Society Hill is directly across the street from 180 West Market is very popular among UMDNJ students. Society Hill is about half the cost, yet the rooms are bigger. The downside of it is that you need to find your own roommates, and the rooms aren't furnished (no couches, mattresses, tv, desk). Society Hill and 180 both have 24/7 security. In the end, you have to weigh your options. I personally prefer paying less and living in a bigger apartment if I could find some people from MBS program to room with.

I emailed Dr. Tsiagbe about one of the classes and he responded:

"Incomings students do not need to make a request for Dental Physiology. The strongest candidates are screened for the limited slots available. The process is still ongoing, since the deadline for new applications has been extended to June 15.
You will hear in due course."

did you get into dental school already after the program? :)

Decided on UMDNJ Stratford after a visit there this Thursday and talking to students there and getting to know the school :) I'm so excited!! I can't wait to meet everyone at orientation! Has anyone gotten their binder?

did you get into dental school already after the program? :)

Nope, I'm an incoming MBS student. I emailed Dr. Tsiagbe about the dental courses that they offer in the program. They only have about 10-15 spots for Master's students and they offer them to the most qualified students.

Decided on UMDNJ Stratford after a visit there this Thursday and talking to students there and getting to know the school :) I'm so excited!! I can't wait to meet everyone at orientation! Has anyone gotten their binder?

I haven't gotten mine yet... although they said May of 2011 in the acceptance letter... Guess we'll keep waiting!

Hey guys. Just got accepted into UMDNJ GSBS Newark for the Masters of Biomedical Sciences. Gonna go concentrate on Biodefense.

I was un-matriculated last year and just completed 18 credits. If you have any general questions I would be happy to answer them.

Hi everyone!

I just got accepted to umdnj gsbs newark few weeks ago and just sent in my acceptance deposit this week. Deciding between 180 market ans society hill as well. Im guessing ill run into a few of you at society hill when looking for apartments maybe? hope so!

For those of you who got in, my friend is still waiting to hear about her admissions decision as her stats are a little low (3.0ish overall?) but apparently great GRE scores. Anyone know what the stats are for non-matriculated? She definitely wants to go and we want to look for housing together but trying to see if her stats are ok for non-matriculated. Any help would be great! thanks! See u all very soon =)

Hey guys. Just got accepted into UMDNJ GSBS Newark for the Masters of Biomedical Sciences. Gonna go concentrate on Biodefense.

I was un-matriculated last year and just completed 18 credits. If you have any general questions I would be happy to answer them.

do u mind sharing what ur stats were last year when u joined as non matriculated?

When I applied as a non-matric I didn't need my MCAT scores (thank god), I graduated from Rutgers with a Bachelor of Science. GPA was a 2.777 overall (it sucks I know). However, I have 6 years of experience as a volly EMT, paid EMT, and 2 years of ER paid experience. Tons of recommendations from Doctors, awards for leadership and etc.

Entering as a non-matric was a better idea to be honest. The deadline for everything was in August. However if you do enter as non-matric, I recommend contacting Dr. Wagner or Dr. Garrett for figuring out what classes to take.

For ppl still looking around for housing near umdnj, I went to see society hill today. They have alot of good places open there for really reasonable prices. some places have 1 roommate already and looking for ppl to fill and some places are completely open. most of the ones i saw had 3 bedrooms and all the rooms were pretty big and the living rooms were giant! overall they were all in excellent condition and really spacious. theres 24 hr security cars patrolling all the time. theres 4 divisions of society hill and theyre all pretty close to campus but 3 and 4 are a bit further. all the houses are not furnished so you would have to buy ur own furniture and its not like a dorm, its ur own house so u have to maintain it and take care of it etc.! hope this helps someone

Hey guys,
This is for the pre-meds out there or if there is anyone that can help.
I'm planning to take my MCAT (re-take) this August but I've been contemplating about taking it after I took some master's courses. I wanted to take it before school started bc I know I'll be busy studying for school but now that I think about it, some of the courses may help also... I know the whole app cycle starts some time in June so I wouldn't really have time to take my MCAT if I wanted to have everything done and sent in early. So should I just take my MCAT in August?? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys,
This is for the pre-meds out there or if there is anyone that can help.
I'm planning to take my MCAT (re-take) this August but I've been contemplating about taking it after I took some master's courses. I wanted to take it before school started bc I know I'll be busy studying for school but now that I think about it, some of the courses may help also... I know the whole app cycle starts some time in June so I wouldn't really have time to take my MCAT if I wanted to have everything done and sent in early. So should I just take my MCAT in August?? Thanks!

To be honest, Fundamentals helped a lot. I have been reviewing notes for the MCAT and Fundamentals covered all of the biology. However my suggestion would be to see how you feel. Only you would know if you are ready. if you feel you can get ready now and be fit to take it in August, then do it. Otherwise I would suggest maybe sometime at the end of Jan or whenever.

To be honest, Fundamentals helped a lot. I have been reviewing notes for the MCAT and Fundamentals covered all of the biology. However my suggestion would be to see how you feel. Only you would know if you are ready. if you feel you can get ready now and be fit to take it in August, then do it. Otherwise I would suggest maybe sometime at the end of Jan or whenever.

Hey!
Thanks for the feedback :) Yea, I figured Fund I would help with the bio section but I'm afraid I'll forget all the orgo/physics and gen chem stuff...unless I have time to study for the MCAT while going to school...say I do the three semester track, take 10 credits a semester, do you think I'll have time....? and take the exam later? This is such a dilemma bc its a retake and I really can't mess it up again. In regards to the August date, I feel a little rushed...but I do know I can prepare myself by then if I have to.....oh boy, do you know of an advisor I can speak with? Thanks a lot!

Hey!
Thanks for the feedback :) Yea, I figured Fund I would help with the bio section but I'm afraid I'll forget all the orgo/physics and gen chem stuff...unless I have time to study for the MCAT while going to school...say I do the three semester track, take 10 credits a semester, do you think I'll have time....? and take the exam later? This is such a dilemma bc its a retake and I really can't mess it up again. In regards to the August date, I feel a little rushed...but I do know I can prepare myself by then if I have to.....oh boy, do you know of an advisor I can speak with? Thanks a lot!

Hmm, I would say that Fundamentals I wouldn't really help you that much as it's mainly biochem and random pathways. I think Fundamentals II helped much more.

As for that plan you have, I took 10 credits my first semester there and I did feel like I was doing a lot. A week before my exams I would be hardcore studying every night. I was trying to do papers and presentations on top of some studying. Not to mention the part time job and volunteering. The last semester I took 8 credits and studied using examkrackers. It was do-able. However my finals mashed up right next to my MCATs due to a lot of snow days so I had to push it back. Ok i'm just telling my life story now, sorry. Do I think its possible to take 10 credits and study MCATs? Yes. Would I do it or just decide to take it in August. I would probably decide to take it in August IF I KNEW I WAS READY. If you start studying right now, I mean right after reading this, I think 2 months of hardcore studying would be better then 6 months of half ass studying.

Just my thoughts though. If you feel more comfortable with postponing it and think you can keep that discipline to study a little bit every day after your classes, then sure. If you are basing this decision on "The summer time" and all the crazy fun you will miss, then I have to remind you that your going to have to sacrifice one way or another. As they say in my culture loosely translated "You either suffer now or you suffer later". All in all, i'd say whichever you are more comfortable with.

I would try to track Stephen Garrett from UMDNJ. He's a professor and in charge of my concentration. Very smart man. If you can't, just call UMDNJ GSBS office and ask to speak to someone. They are all very nice there and would be willing to give you some advice. Hope this helps!

Hmm, I would say that Fundamentals I wouldn't really help you that much as it's mainly biochem and random pathways. I think Fundamentals II helped much more.

As for that plan you have, I took 10 credits my first semester there and I did feel like I was doing a lot. A week before my exams I would be hardcore studying every night. I was trying to do papers and presentations on top of some studying. Not to mention the part time job and volunteering. The last semester I took 8 credits and studied using examkrackers. It was do-able. However my finals mashed up right next to my MCATs due to a lot of snow days so I had to push it back. Ok i'm just telling my life story now, sorry. Do I think its possible to take 10 credits and study MCATs? Yes. Would I do it or just decide to take it in August. I would probably decide to take it in August IF I KNEW I WAS READY. If you start studying right now, I mean right after reading this, I think 2 months of hardcore studying would be better then 6 months of half ass studying.

Just my thoughts though. If you feel more comfortable with postponing it and think you can keep that discipline to study a little bit every day after your classes, then sure. If you are basing this decision on "The summer time" and all the crazy fun you will miss, then I have to remind you that your going to have to sacrifice one way or another. As they say in my culture loosely translated "You either suffer now or you suffer later". All in all, i'd say whichever you are more comfortable with.

I would try to track Stephen Garrett from UMDNJ. He's a professor and in charge of my concentration. Very smart man. If you can't, just call UMDNJ GSBS office and ask to speak to someone. They are all very nice there and would be willing to give you some advice. Hope this helps!

Wow, that was exactly why I was contemplating...I didn't know if I wanted to sacrifice now or later but the more I think about it, I think I'm just going to take the August one and forget about all my summer plans....haha. I also think its better to take it now and give my all during the Master's program instead of trying to focus on two things at once. Thanks for all your insight. It really really helped bc I was 50:50 on this stupid yet crucial issue. Thanks!
Oh and you're right about Dr. Garrett. I emailed him once about the MGM course and he emailed me right back with a very long and detailed response. Awesome professor.

Thank you once again!!

Wow, that was exactly why I was contemplating...I didn't know if I wanted to sacrifice now or later but the more I think about it, I think I'm just going to take the August one and forget about all my summer plans....haha. I also think its better to take it now and give my all during the Master's program instead of trying to focus on two things at once. Thanks for all your insight. It really really helped bc I was 50:50 on this stupid yet crucial issue. Thanks!
Oh and you're right about Dr. Garrett. I emailed him once about the MGM course and he emailed me right back with a very long and detailed response. Awesome professor.

Thank you once again!!

Anytime. Well I wouldn't say cancel all your plans. You could go out but you have to make sure you do your studying before hand. Good luck with the MCATs and I good luck with GSBS.

Hey Everyone,
I received my acceptance letter from Stratford via email yesterday. I’m so excited.:D

hello
im giving up my spot
good luck to people who are on the waitlist.

I am actually in the same boat as you! I applied to PCOM-GA Biomed Program & UMDNJ-Stratford GSBS and recently got accepted into both. Now, I am so confused on which program to attend.

Both are great programs, but don't know which one will ultimately be better?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Congrats to all the applicants that got into the UMDNJ masters program.

I got in the MBS program on the Newark campus. i am from Chicago and applied late and got in late compared to many. I am looking for a place right now and never really been to NJ. What is my best bet? I heard society hill is cheap and a great place to live but the apts are probably all full by now. Also, I hear that only 10-15 MBS students can take dental courses if you want to finish in 1 year. Is this true? Any help will be much appreciated!!

since GSBS -stratford has no housing, could previous/current students talk about thier housing experience around the area. Where can one get a safe apartment and how did you get your roomates.

Thank You.