UMDNJ GSBS MBS Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I have a friend who goes to the DO school and she told me to look at Echelon Glen, The Village, and The Landings. She said these are where most students live. :)

since GSBS -stratford has no housing, could previous/current students talk about thier housing experience around the area. Where can one get a safe apartment and how did you get your roomates.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my acceptance! Looks like i will be coming to newark, and withdrawing my spot from Stratford. Good luck to all!

Hi I'm a newly accepted student in the program at newark. So if our stats are low we have no hope of taking the med classes? Won't that do more harm than good as adcom's know that it is an option? I am not 100% on the program yet and the question of med classes is rather important. Thanks guys!

Hi I'm a newly accepted student in the program at newark. So if our stats are low we have no hope of taking the med classes? Won't that do more harm than good as adcom's know that it is an option? I am not 100% on the program yet and the question of med classes is rather important. Thanks guys!

Stats (MCAT mostly) are important for taking Molecular and Genetic Medicine with the first year medical students in the fall. Many people (possibly everyone) who didn't get into that class and wanted to take a class with med students was allowed to take Physiology with the med students in the spring. I know of a student who didn't do either and was accepted to RWJMS (n=1, but i don't know a lot of the students in the program who didn't do the med school classes, since those are the classes I took).

Accepted at stratford...
looking forward to orientation!!! anyone know when classes start anyway?

Accepted at stratford...
looking forward to orientation!!! anyone know when classes start anyway?

If you want to take medical school courses, they start August 9th I believe... If you aren't taking them in your first semester, then I believe class starts September 1st.

See you at orientation!

If you want to take medical school courses, they start August 9th I believe... If you aren't taking them in your first semester, then I believe class starts September 1st.

See you at orientation!

Oh good, I won't be able to do the medical courses this summer anyway..but Sept 1 sounds pretty good!

yep, see you there!!!!

Thanks!

I'm a little confused. If classes start in the beginning of September, when do we finish the MBS program? I'm looking at the schedule they gave us and it says that although there is a Commencement Ceremony in May 23, the official end of the Spring 2012 semester isn't until August 31!

I'm a little confused. If classes start in the beginning of September, when do we finish the MBS program? I'm looking at the schedule they gave us and it says that although there is a Commencement Ceremony in May 23, the official end of the Spring 2012 semester isn't until August 31!

The latest 'spring' classes (that are really summer classes that are just designated under the spring class schedule, starting in May) ended yesterday, 7/1

What are the best classes to take 1st semester? How many credits?

Members don't see this ad :)
wondering the same thing. Sent my deposit in but haven't heard anything back yet.

in reference to your deposit, you should get an e-mail soon after they receive your deposit with information about setting up your ID along with a few forms like immunization and student health forms.

I hand delivered my deposit, and i heard back before i reached home. So you should be hearing back from them soon.

I also want to hand deliver it. Which office did you take it to? (Room, Building etc)

I also want to hand deliver it. Which office did you take it to? (Room, Building etc)

I brought it to MSB C696? If you look at the bottom of the letter that you have to sign, the room number is written right there. I think it was the same room that you mailed your application to.

I just got approval for dental histology but I'm not sure whether I should take this course or not. It is 5 credit course so if I get A on this it will help a lot but if I get B or B+.. it will hurt my GPA a lot.. Does anyone have information about this course in terms of difficulties and course materials?
Thanks!

I just got approval for dental histology but I'm not sure whether I should take this course or not. It is 5 credit course so if I get A on this it will help a lot but if I get B or B+.. it will hurt my GPA a lot.. Does anyone have information about this course in terms of difficulties and course materials?
Thanks!

hey skglaso, i have a few friends who graduated this program, so i will ask them for you. Did you sign up for all of your classes? or did u just e-mail the professor to get approval for the special courses like dental/med school courses?

If not, does anyone know when you sign up for courses? does that happen during orientation?

hey skglaso, i have a few friends who graduated this program, so i will ask them for you. Did you sign up for all of your classes? or did u just e-mail the professor to get approval for the special courses like dental/med school courses?

If not, does anyone know when you sign up for courses? does that happen during orientation?

Thanks!
I think course registration is during or after the orientation. And for the dental/med school courses, I was told that we are automatically selected based on our GPA, DAT/MCAT. I just received an email saying that I was selected for dental histology.. hope this helps!

Yea I believe its at orientation however some courses require prior approval (even if they are not the ones we are selected for). For example I believe basic histology has a cap thus in order to register at orientation you need to be approved by the professor first.

Just received my acceptance in Stratford:

NJ Resident
MCAT: 23Q
UG GPA + UNC-Greensboro postbacc: 3.0

Going to keep working while in the program as a medical rep to surgeons for human tissue and Platelet Rich Plasma.

Currently living in new Brunswick and considering moving down to Stratford instead. Any thoughts on working while in program and living close to campus?

Hey guys,

Has anyone transferred into the M.S. program from a Certificate Program?

Hey guys,

Has anyone transferred into the M.S. program from a Certificate Program?

That can be done. Keep in touch with your adviser to let him/her know your intentions and see how to go about doing it. I don't know the details surrounding your scenario, but if, for instance, someone was only accepted into the certificate program because of poor incoming stats, getting A's in the classes would merit being able to matriculate into the full masters program.

Hey guys,
I just got accepted into the MBS program a week ago. I sent in my deposit in mail, hope they respond back soon. I'm an international student from Toronto, so I need to find a place to live close to campus which is cheap. I ll probably be coming directly from Toronto for the orientation week, so it would be amazing if I had a place to come to LOL. Don't wanna end up staying in a motel or anything. Does anyone know any cheap student housing places around campus?? any information would be helpful.. If any of you guys are interested in a house mate or room mate, we could discuss that too... I cudn't find a thread only for housing at umdnj, does anyone know any?? Thanks everyone..

Hey guys,
I just got accepted into the MBS program a week ago. I sent in my deposit in mail, hope they respond back soon. I'm an international student from Toronto, so I need to find a place to live close to campus which is cheap. I ll probably be coming directly from Toronto for the orientation week, so it would be amazing if I had a place to come to LOL. Don't wanna end up staying in a motel or anything. Does anyone know any cheap student housing places around campus?? any information would be helpful.. If any of you guys are interested in a house mate or room mate, we could discuss that too... I cudn't find a thread only for housing at umdnj, does anyone know any?? Thanks everyone..

Hi,

As for housing, I'm not sure if 180 West Market still have spaces, but I would definitely give them a call asap to find out. It's not the cheapest housing but it's the closest to campus and its already furnished. University Centre is also furnished. If you want cheaper housing, you can try society hill as well. There is a facebook group for those who are attending this fall and you can try to find some roommates there as well!

Hope this helps and Congrats! :)

What are the best classes to take 1st semester? How many credits?

Credits really depends on you personally and what you can handle. I know someone who was taking 6 classes this past spring, trying to finish in 1 year. I know some others who only took 2 classes..so it depends.

As to classes... the schedule is posted on the website. You can pick what interests you or discuss with your adviser, but 2 classes you have to take are Fundamentals I and the Seminar class. Fund is 3 credits, and if I remember correctly Seminar is 1, but it's super easy so you have to put like no effort into that one.
If you do MGM(med course), or the Dental course(forgot it's name b/c I didn't care), you don't take Fundamentals. But either Fundamentals or MGM/Dental course is required.

And then typically 2-3 other classes with Fundamentals and the Seminar.

wanted to bump this thread...

what are you guys doing for housing? we schedule during orientation, right?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone is currently or knows someone well that is living at university centre at the moment and what their thoughts are on living there? I heard a lot of mixed views online and kinda wanted a personnel view if possible.

Thanks!

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone is currently or knows someone well that is living at university centre at the moment and what their thoughts are on living there? I heard a lot of mixed views online and kinda wanted a personnel view if possible.

Thanks!

i know a few ppl living there.

dorms are pretty nice. definitely would be a fun place to live at, also very convenient since your classes are only a parking garages walk away.

Ack lots of stuff. Let's see what I can answer.

Ahh thanks for the tips. The only way I got As in my undergrad science classes is by typing up everything the lecturer said on my laptop. That made studying so much easier.

robflanker's advice regarding this is important to consider and will ring true for much of medical school. I should probably heed it as well and try to condense my study methods, but for MGM I did the following:
-went to every lecture
-re-watched every lecture with the slides in front of me
-re-wrote every slide in a notebook and added additional information from the lecturers.

So, I ended up with a notebook with every fact from the slides and every added fact added by the professors orally. This was extremely time consuming - you must not let yourself get behind if you are going to do something like this. I would finish my master notebook a couple days before the exam and go over it and make lots of flashcards to drill knowledge into my head i would forget immediately post-exam :p mnemonics come in handy

I know the Genetics book is not recommended, but what about the Biochemistry book? They're using Principles of Medical Biochemistry by Meisenberg and Simmons this year. Also, if you do well in the course and are exempt from it when you start NJMS the following year, what do you take in place of MGM? I plan on finishing the Masters program regardless if I get in or not.
The biochem book you stated was never the recommended text in past years. It used to be Lippencotts Biochemistry which people recommend for shelf/step studying anyway, it's a great book. I guess I can't comment on the new book.

Hey WUBear, congrats on your acceptance to NJMS!

I was thinking about applying to the MBS program next year and was curious if you could explain something to me. You can take two med schools courses right? I know these are contingent on the MCAT and everything though. It seems like though from your last post, that NJMS really weights these highly if you get interviewed. Would honoring the courses def increase your chances by a bit at getting accepted? Thanks!

Absolutely, they like to see you get honors in the med classes, and as I said earlier, if you have an application open this cycle and they see you're taking MGM, they're not going to decide until they see your MGM grade. You can take physiology in the Spring as well, in which honors would also look favorable. Now, I should catch myself - there is no longer honors, but honors just used to be >90%, and on your GSBS transcript >90% would show up as an A, so get A's. Same thing as 'honors' used to be.

Oh really? That's pretty good for the MS-Is! Congrats on your acceptance to NJMS too robflanker!

Also, does anyone know if there is certificate program for the MBS rather than the full Masters? I saw some certificates on the GSBS site, but none for the MBS so I though I might as well ask to see if anyone has heard of this haha. Thanks again!
There are certificates but I believe the vast majority of the people that do them are people who were not accepted to do the masters program that were recommended to do the certificate while proving they had the capabilities to handle the academics --> later matriculating into the masters program.
What the hell is GMM?
GMM is a 5-credit Medical Biochem course that attempts to mirror MGM for students in GSBS that were not accepted to MGM that want to take a similar course. They also take the Biochem shelf exam at the end, apparently.

anyone hear of this program called "medical scholars?" (specifically theWUbear). its says that if you get a 28+ and a 3.5 in the masters after taking 20 creds you get a guarenteed interview @ njms. obviously your chances of getting in are slim if you have only a 28, but i was just wondering, has anyone ever heard of someone getting in from the masters program via this program?
I have heard of this recently. It is new. Previously, getting "honors" in MGM tacitly gave you an auto-interview. Now they have this deal (the person who told me about it said you have to take MGM and Physio - but maybe that's not the case? She was my year and this program was not available to us). Because it hasn't existed until now I can't comment on it really, but it doesn't seem like something you have to enroll in, right? So you can just keep on doin your thang and get straight A's and know you have an auto-invite coming...right?

i'm hoping to have 20 credits by the end of the spring semester. although i haven't taken MGM i was wondering how much would this hurt my chances of getting in next cycle especially since i won't be taking MGM in the fall of 2011 and would be taking it in fall 2012 (assuming i get a decent enough score on my mcat).

thewubear - i know you said that some people were given acceptances based off them receiving honors in MGM in october, so i was just wondering that since i won't be taking it until after i begin to apply how much do you think it would affect me. (i would be apply next cycle for class of 2017). thanks again man.
I imagine they will not rule on you until they get your MGM grade. I don't think this will effect you in a bad way (timing-wise) unless you are doing early decision. You should schedule a meeting with Dr. Heinrich to discuss your application, by the way. He will give you individualized recommendations - and it will help you a lot to follow his advice.

I think someone also asked about placing out of classes as a med student if you take them as a grad student. This is a frequent practice with regards to MGM and Physio. Instead of taking MGM, you are free to do whatever you want at the beginning of the year (as a few members of the class of 2015 are doing starting tomorrow). Many will get a head start in the anatomy labs, some will research, many will put in extra hours in the student-run clinic that is very popular, some will do extra work-study hours to keep loans down.

Hi All,

I was just accepted into the program for this fall, yes very late application submission, I mean last week... I have so many questions, hopefully those of you with some experience can help.

What classes and course load is suggested for the first semester?
Fyi, I am applying to dental school.

Specifically, what are your thoughts on oral microbiology?

Lastly, ne one still looking for a roomate, and what r ur suggestions on housing?

Hey everyone, I just have a few questions and would appreciate any help from WuBear, people who did the program, or anyone else.

I'm really interested in the program. Does anyone know what the admissions % are for people who did the program and successfully were admitted to medical schools?

The two med school classes are awesome, but that's really the main reason why I want to apply to the program. What MCAT/GPA do you need to get into MGM/Human Physiology?

The price is decent so that's a plus but do you know how this program compares to IMS/Cincy/EVMS? I'm prob gonna apply to these four in the fall and decide then.

Hey everyone, I just have a few questions and would appreciate any help from WuBear, people who did the program, or anyone else.

I'm really interested in the program. Does anyone know what the admissions % are for people who did the program and successfully were admitted to medical schools?

The two med school classes are awesome, but that's really the main reason why I want to apply to the program. What MCAT/GPA do you need to get into MGM/Human Physiology?

The price is decent so that's a plus but do you know how this program compares to IMS/Cincy/EVMS? I'm prob gonna apply to these four in the fall and decide then.

Well, from a current student from the MBS program at Stratford, you can take two medical school courses without MCAT/GPA requirements. They offer Med Physiology, Anatomy, and Neuroscience. Not sure how it compares to those programs, but if you do well, like 3.8+, as long as your MCAT is acceptable, you can get into NJMS or SOM, if that is where you want to go.

Hopefully that helps.

The GSBS office does not release statistics regarding % successful type things. Their reasoning is because some students enter this program looking to go into research, some looking to transfer into the PhD program, and many looking to go to Dental school - all in addition to the premeds. If everyone was premed it would be easy to make a percentage. Of course, this could also be spin by the office to not release statistics that would not impress students.

I got into MGM with a 33 MCAT and a 2.8 GPA. I had a year of straight A's in bio classes in a post-bacc (moving my GPA from 2.6 to 2.8), so they looked a bit at my upward trend and mostly at my MCAT. They want a 30 I believe to allow you to take the class. If you don't get MGM in the fall semester, do well in the fall and spring and you will be able to take MGM the following fall (if you go the 3 semester route) if you have performed well in the program GPA-wise.

Price is indeed a plus with regards to this program. I can't compare this program to others, but I would say that if I am going to pay private school money (a lot more) for my SMP the program better be that much better.

hey WUbear, do you have any recommendations for elective courses to take?do you know how fundamentals of pharmacology is?

Awesome, thanks for all the help WUBear! I'm thinking about applying to UMDNJ, and the other SMPs I listed to see if I get in and go there or just continue my post-bacc. Ahh, so many choices but at least I got some time to decide.

Last edited:
hey WUbear, do you have any recommendations for elective courses to take?do you know how fundamentals of pharmacology is?

I took MGM the first semester only, and my second semester I took off and went back to my post-bacc for reasons I won't get into. Because of this, I've only taken MGM and summer Virology, which many (most?) people got an A in. It is of note that one of the heads of Virology is the head prof for the second year immuno course for med students - so content and exam questions are recycled between the two courses.

Pharm is supposed to be on the easier side. So is Clinical and translational onc. MMH was supposed to be great; it has a new prof. this year who hopes to keep it interesting. Histo is really popular but filled.

How difficult is it to get Honors in MGM? I'm in the class right now and the first quiz was actually pretty okay and if it's anything like the exams then that's good. However I'm just concerned with the shelf since we only have 3 days to study for it :/.

How difficult is it to get Honors in MGM? I'm in the class right now and the first quiz was actually pretty okay and if it's anything like the exams then that's good. However I'm just concerned with the shelf since we only have 3 days to study for it :/.

NJMS traditionally does very well in the biochem shelf - I think I got an 86% post-shelf-curve (which I think means beating 86% of med students taking the test), then they curve it a second time for your class and I ended up with over 100%. So a lot of people demolish it as it seems I did.

One can't honors the class anymore - so its going to be impossible...

Anyone have advice on studying for Dr. Rameshwar's Stem Cell class?? There's a lotttt of material...

He means get >90% you nickpicker :p

Lol.. well I got a 93 on the first exam so hopefully the other two exams won't be too hard.. I'm just worried about the shelf.

Lol.. well I got a 93 on the first exam so hopefully the other two exams won't be too hard.. I'm just worried about the shelf.

You're set. I think I got an 85 on the first one and started to think about changing the expectations on how I could perform on a med school exam. Got around 95 on the next two and over 100% after the double curve on the shelf. NJMS historically does very well on the biochem shelf. Don't worry about it too much, the class itself prepares you very well

You're set. I think I got an 85 on the first one and started to think about changing the expectations on how I could perform on a med school exam. Got around 95 on the next two and over 100% after the double curve on the shelf. NJMS historically does very well on the biochem shelf. Don't worry about it too much, the class itself prepares you very well

Yeah I heard about the double curve that's crazy lol. The content doesn't seem challenging at all it's just a lot of it thrown at you in a relatively short period of time. Once you have everything organized in your mind though it's relatively straightforward memorization, at least for me. Do you know how much your chances are increased for getting accepted into NJMS if you get honors in MGM? I'm applying this cycle but I'm told they won't review the application till they see your grade.

Does this program have a bridge with medical school and offer conditional acceptance to a school?

Does this program have a bridge with medical school and offer conditional acceptance to a school?

I don't know about a conditional acceptance. but it does offer you a chance for one. If you have a 3.5 and a 28+ on your MCAT you get a guaranteed interview @ NJMS. not to say however that it is a conditional acceptance, but i think it would certainly help your chances out significantly.