UMDNJ-GSBS- Robert Wood Johnson

Started by djv5025
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

djv5025

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey!

I'm looking for information on this program. I've been around the forums for a while and have read all the threads about the UMDNJ Master's Programs at both Newark and Stratford. There is very little about this program, probably because it's newer, but I was wondering if anyone attending the program could shed some light about the differences/similarities between this and the other two programs. The curriculum looks like you are taking more medical school type courses than the other two programs, so I'd also like to know if that is the case. I've applied to all three and more information would definitely help narrowing down my decision (assuming I get in all of them).

Thanks!
 
Hey!

I'm looking for information on this program. I've been around the forums for a while and have read all the threads about the UMDNJ Master's Programs at both Newark and Stratford. There is very little about this program, probably because it's newer, but I was wondering if anyone attending the program could shed some light about the differences/similarities between this and the other two programs. The curriculum looks like you are taking more medical school type courses than the other two programs, so I'd also like to know if that is the case. I've applied to all three and more information would definitely help narrowing down my decision (assuming I get in all of them).

Thanks!

yeah, it's not just newer - it has existed for all of 1 month now. I'm not sure you'll find people here who have attended/are attending it
 
Thanks. I thought it was a longshot to find some people who have some information about the program, but there is no better place to try than SDN!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a student in this program. It is VERY new and kinks are still being worked out. Also, there is NO guaranteed admission/interview despite what the application says. I'm not sure how highly I would recommend this program, especially if you are banking on using it as an in to medical school-explore other programs first. I probably will end up having to do another smp after this.
 
I am a student in this program. It is VERY new and kinks are still being worked out. Also, there is NO guaranteed admission/interview despite what the application says..

what does the application say exactly (even if it's not true)

guaranteed admission or interview? the latter doesn't mean much to me.
 
I am a student in this program. It is VERY new and kinks are still being worked out. Also, there is NO guaranteed admission/interview despite what the application says. I'm not sure how highly I would recommend this program, especially if you are banking on using it as an in to medical school-explore other programs first. I probably will end up having to do another smp after this.


Thanks for the reply! So what specifically about the program has issues? Are the classes any good? Any idea on the class size?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a good feel about the program.
 
I also just received acceptance to the new MBS program at RWJ and was wondering the same thing. I can't decide if it would benefit me in the long run or not....

cGPA=3.7
MCAT1= BS12 PS10 VR04
MCAT2= find out end of feb expect my VR to go up but am not sure about the sciences.

good ECs


does anyone have any insight for me as far as the quality of the program and if it would be a good idea for my situation?
 
I also just received acceptance to the new MBS program at RWJ and was wondering the same thing. I can't decide if it would benefit me in the long run or not....

cGPA=3.7
MCAT1= BS12 PS10 VR04
MCAT2= find out end of feb expect my VR to go up but am not sure about the sciences.

good ECs


does anyone have any insight for me as far as the quality of the program and if it would be a good idea for my situation?

I wouldn't do anything until you get your MCAT. A 4 in verbal?

UMDNJ GSBS will cost you about $20k IIRC; an MCAT class costs $1500.

Your issue is your MCAT; not your cGPA which is what the GSBS and other SMPs are aimed at.

If you get your verbal up to like 8 or 9, and the others stay about the same; then skip the SMP and apply to med schools this summer (provided you have all the other ECs, shadowing and things)
 
any feedback about this program?

I didn't realize how new the program is when I sent my application materials in..
I am currently in the program. This is just the second year that the program has been around, however they made HUGE changes from last year. For the most part, they were all for the better comparing stories with some of the students who were in the program last year. The professors are also the same ones who teach the medical students, and most of the lectures are verbatim the same. The rigor of the courses are definitely well above the courses you find in undergrad. Me and my group of friends, on average, study about 3-4 hours a day, and then near exam time study about 10-13 hours a day.

I personally think this is a great program, even though it is still very young in its development. I applied to about 15 medical schools in the 2010-2011 cycle, both DO and MD. I had only 1 interview, and it was from my home state. I was not accepted. I applied again this cycle 2011-2012 to 30 schools, once again both DO and MD and I got 6 interviews. I was accepted this time around. The biggest change in my application was the fact that I had gone through a semester of the program.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
 
I have a question. I'm planning to complete my master's degree at NJMS for one year (starting Fall 2012) and my current hopeful plan is to enter medical school in the following year (Fall 2013).

If I were to enter the GSBS program at NJMS starting in Fall 2012 , when do I apply to medical school? Would I have to wait until I am done with the master's program to apply to medical school so the admissions could see my post-bacc GPA or can I apply while I am in the master's program?

I was thinking of applying to NJMS after my first Master's semester, so that the admissions could see my grades from the program rather than my poor grades from undergraduate. I'm not sure how the timing of this works

Also another question: I know there are only a limited number of master's students who can take the medical school courses at NJMS. Does anybody know the stats of those students? I have a 3.33 GPA/28 MCAT. I wanted to get some insight on that. Thanks!
 
I have a question. I'm planning to complete my master's degree at NJMS for one year (starting Fall 2012) and my current hopeful plan is to enter medical school in the following year (Fall 2013).

If I were to enter the GSBS program at NJMS starting in Fall 2012 , when do I apply to medical school? Would I have to wait until I am done with the master's program to apply to medical school so the admissions could see my post-bacc GPA or can I apply while I am in the master's program?

I was thinking of applying to NJMS after my first Master's semester, so that the admissions could see my grades from the program rather than my poor grades from undergraduate. I'm not sure how the timing of this works

Also another question: I know there are only a limited number of master's students who can take the medical school courses at NJMS. Does anybody know the stats of those students? I have a 3.33 GPA/28 MCAT. I wanted to get some insight on that. Thanks!
Well first off, to answer your question about when to apply. I will give you two examples to show you what you could do. There were students in my program that applied in the summer before classes had started (I was in this batch) and then I had classmates that are going to apply this summer for the next cycle of admissions. If you really think you will do very well, i'm talking basically 3.7-3.9 GPA, in the master's program, then you should apply during the summer. This was my reason of thought when I applied, I had an upward trend in my last year of undergrad and I thought I would continue this trend in the masters program. I ended up doing just that and the school's noticed that as well. If you want to see how you will do in the masters program and apply after a full years worth of classes under your belt and let your grades speak for themselves, you could also do that. Either way, you want to apply early as possible (june- august), the schools are less strict (in terms of MCAT scores and GPA) on the students who apply early because they have more seats available.

For your second question about the NJMS program. I'm assuming you mean the Newark-MBS program? I am not sure how they do their scheduling, however I do know they have another thread, try checking that out and see what they have said previously.
 
is the accelerated program link with the med school true? is there any stats on how many apply/get in?
There is the Accelerated Application Program :

http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/AAP.html

However, just as a heads up, there is no guarantee that you get in just because you go to this program and meet the requirements. I do not have any other statistic for you other than 7 people applied in the first year of the program and 3 decided to join the freshman medical school class. My class is still in the process of applying and those stats will not be released most likely until june when the decisions come out.
 
There is the Accelerated Application Program :

http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/AAP.html

However, just as a heads up, there is no guarantee that you get in just because you go to this program and meet the requirements. I do not have any other statistic for you other than 7 people applied in the first year of the program and 3 decided to join the freshman medical school class. My class is still in the process of applying and those stats will not be released most likely until june when the decisions come out.

i see, for the people who got in the first year, do you know if the other 4 were accepted and chose to go somewhere else? when you guys find out for your class can you post the numbers for us?

thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i see, for the people who got in the first year, do you know if the other 4 were accepted and chose to go somewhere else? when you guys find out for your class can you post the numbers for us?

thanks!
I am not sure if they did get into any schools or not. This is all the information that the MBS students who were accepted into the med school told us during a short meeting we had. I will ask the secretary for the MBS-GSBS at RWJ program and see if they are allowed to release that information. If I get any info, i'll update you with the final ratio of accepted/rejected . I will try to remember to post if I do get any word from the admin or any friends that are currently applying for the summer.
 
I am not sure if they did get into any schools or not. This is all the information that the MBS students who were accepted into the med school told us during a short meeting we had. I will ask the secretary for the MBS-GSBS at RWJ program and see if they are allowed to release that information. If I get any info, i'll update you with the final ratio of accepted/rejected . I will try to remember to post if I do get any word from the admin or any friends that are currently applying for the summer.

awesome thanks!
 
undergrad: top 15 private university, just graduated may 2012
major: biomedical engineering
MCAT: 32M (11PS,10V,11BS)
NJ resident

applied early May, realize this is late.

chances on getting in? when should i hear back by?
 
Last edited:
undergrad: top 15 private university, just graduated may 2012
major: biomedical engineering
cGPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.25
MCAT: 32M (11PS,10V,11BS)
NJ resident

applied early May, realize this is late.

chances on getting in? when should i hear back by?
Hi! I applied to this program early May, right after I found out the program existed. I go to a top 30 liberal arts school. I have a lower MCAT, and a lower GPA than you....but I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! I am also definitely not a state resident, so as long as your statement of purpose and rec letters are awesome I think its looking good for you! I will knock on wood, best of luck! Maybe meet you in the fall!
 
undergrad: top 15 private university, just graduated may 2012
major: biomedical engineering
cGPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.25
MCAT: 32M (11PS,10V,11BS)
NJ resident

applied early May, realize this is late.

chances on getting in? when should i hear back by?
The applicants from my year also had a wide range of scores and backgrounds. As Arizona2012 said, all those other factors will also play into their decision making. Keep a lookout for something though, your stats seem fine for the program. But this is only speculation, but this going to be the third year of this program, so they may become more selective with their applicants.

I set up the facebook group for my year and I also made one for the incoming class for you guys. So once you find out you have gotten accepted go ahead and add yourself to the group to start to meet your classmates over the summer.
 
Hey everyone. Just got accepted into the program with significantly lower stats than some of you that posted, so keep your hopes up!

Did anyone attend that Luncheon? Did I miss anything important?
 
Hey everyone, I kept losing track of the RWJMS SMP thread since there was no specific year for it. Anyone attending this SMP for 2012-2013? Anyone who has attended want to share some info/experiences about the program? Any help would be appreciated 🙂
 
Hey everyone, I kept losing track of the RWJMS SMP thread since there was no specific year for it. Anyone attending this SMP for 2012-2013? Anyone who has attended want to share some info/experiences about the program? Any help would be appreciated 🙂
What specifics would you like to know?

Some of the things I liked about the program was that a large majority of the lectures you will have are almost verbatim the same lectures that the medical school students receive. So you will get a rough idea of the breadth of information that will be thrown at you and the amount of retention they will expect during medical school. If you did not learn how to study efficiently in undergrad, this program will definitely whip you into shape, you will learn your own method of studying. Whether that means studying by yourself after each lecture, studying with a group, or whatever it is.

If you have not had research experience during undergrad, and would like to beef up your application with some experience, you can choose to do a wet-bench research project (but be reminded that it will be a pretty big time consumer).

If you have others questions in specific, about curriculum, research, or anything else feel free to ask.
 
I was accepted to this program last week, but I am still waiting on Ros Franklin, Cincinnati, UMDNJ Newark and Drexel.

I applied to all of these programs pretty late though, so I am probably going to send in my deposit for RWJ today.

Does this program offer anything advantageous over the NJMS program? While I haven't been accepted into that program, I can't stop thinking about a 20 minute commute to Newark vs. an hour to Piscataway/New Brunswick.

My deposit is due the 15th, and it is doubtful I will hear from the other schools by then. If I send in the deposit, then renege by choosing another school, will that have any adverse effects on my application to RWJ medical school?
 
I was accepted to this program last week, but I am still waiting on Ros Franklin, Cincinnati, UMDNJ Newark and Drexel.

I applied to all of these programs pretty late though, so I am probably going to send in my deposit for RWJ today.

Does this program offer anything advantageous over the NJMS program? While I haven't been accepted into that program, I can't stop thinking about a 20 minute commute to Newark vs. an hour to Piscataway/New Brunswick.

My deposit is due the 15th, and it is doubtful I will hear from the other schools by then. If I send in the deposit, then renege by choosing another school, will that have any adverse effects on my application to RWJ medical school?
Congrats on being accepted. To answer your question, as far as I know there would be only a handful of big things. 1. classes and professors will be different, 2. there is a research component I believe the NB program has that the NJMS doesn't (but you would have to double check that), and 3. the AAP program to apply to RWJ. That being said, you do have to choose what is best for you, so if a closer commute is better for you, than that would be something to consider. I doubt that it will affect your application to RWJ, they have way to many applications to sort through and I don't think they are cross-referencing any thing else you do.
 
research component

don't mean to step on anyone's toes, just to clarify the information: GSBS-Newark requires a two credit research rotation. you email whoever you want at NJMS/GSBS and work on their/your own bench or clinical research projects with them
 
don't mean to step on anyone's toes, just to clarify the information: GSBS-Newark requires a two credit research rotation. you email whoever you want at NJMS/GSBS and work on their/your own bench or clinical research projects with them
Thanks for the correction theWUbear, I wasn't sure on that component of the program. Is there anything else that you think would add to help differentiate the two programs?
 
Thanks for the correction theWUbear, I wasn't sure on that component of the program. Is there anything else that you think would add to help differentiate the two programs?

I'll have to pass on that q because I don't have much knowledge on NB's GSBS 😛 If anyone has Newark GSBS q's, i'm happy to answer them on the newark thread.
What's most important wherever you go is devoting your life to your classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WhaddupDoc,

you mentioned that the lectures for med students and grad students are pretty much verbatim, did you take the same exams as them? Were you graded against their average/curve?

Also based on the curriculum found here: http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/Curriculum2.html

Is the 4 credit Gross Anatomy class lab based?

Which fall elective do you recommend: Behavioral Science or Humanism in Medicine?


Thanks for your time!
 
WhaddupDoc,

you mentioned that the lectures for med students and grad students are pretty much verbatim, did you take the same exams as them? Were you graded against their average/curve?

Also based on the curriculum found here: http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/Curriculum2.html

Is the 4 credit Gross Anatomy class lab based?

Which fall elective do you recommend: Behavioral Science or Humanism in Medicine?


Thanks for your time!
MarshallW, the tests are not the same as the medical students (as far as I know). You are graded against only other MBS students, even if there are classes with the other medical students, other grad programs, and etc.

The anatomy class is lab based, so you will be in lecture once a week followed by the lab right after.

I took Humanism in Medicine, I enjoyed it a lot. The professor is great and you could get something out of it if you take it seriously. The class is more essay based. Behavioral science is more exam based.
 
I believe this question was asked before, but do you have an idea of how many people from your class were accepted to any medical school during the year that they were in the MBS program.

Since you apply before starting the program, did the medical school you get into request first semester grades before giving you an interview? Was this the case with other people as well?

My school's health advisors recommended me to not apply to MD schools before starting the program because they claim that the schools wont consider you a serious applicant until you finish the program. I dont know how true this is, so I have prepared my amcas anyway.

Do you think just being in the program itself helps you get interviews? Once you get accepted, are they conditional acceptances (saying you must finish the program)?
 
I believe this question was asked before, but do you have an idea of how many people from your class were accepted to any medical school during the year that they were in the MBS program.

Since you apply before starting the program, did the medical school you get into request first semester grades before giving you an interview? Was this the case with other people as well?

My school's health advisors recommended me to not apply to MD schools before starting the program because they claim that the schools wont consider you a serious applicant until you finish the program. I dont know how true this is, so I have prepared my amcas anyway.

Do you think just being in the program itself helps you get interviews? Once you get accepted, are they conditional acceptances (saying you must finish the program)?
do you have an idea of how many people from your class were accepted to any medical school during the year that they were in the MBS program.

I do not have a percentage of people that got into a school vs people that did not get into a school. I can try to estimate for you though. There were probably 10 or so that applied in the normal MD/DO cycle, and out of those 10 I believe 5 got into a school.

Since you apply before starting the program, did the medical school you get into request first semester grades before giving you an interview? Was this the case with other people as well?

My school that I ended up picking was a blind interview (meaning they did not look at my file during interviewing), so they didn't require the first semester transcripts for the interview, but they eventually did need it to make their final decision. As far as I know, all of the people that got into a school had their interviews done during the first semester. So I guess their situation about not needing the transcript at first was the same, but eventually the schools did need the transcript.

The advisors have a point, your application (if you had previously applied) would not be much different from before (if you applied back to back), and applying before the program starts with no grades to show does not offer the schools much to work on. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me to apply back to back. I might have had enough going for me that when my first semester grades came through it was enough evidence for them to make their final decision based on that.

It is a risky thing to do, because if you don't make it, you are out another year and are out a lot of money in terms of application fees and so on. So, if you really think that you can get in this time, then its worth the shot to apply early and get your AMCAS in and see where it goes from there. But like your advisors said earlier, most schools don't seriously look at you if you don't have your grades from the first semester, which means you are really late during the cycle then.

Do you think just being in the program itself helps you get interviews? Once you get accepted, are they conditional acceptances (saying you must finish the program)?

I can't say it won't help you, but I don't know exactly how much it will help you. A few of the schools I applied to, and the one I chose, did make me sign a form saying I would finish the program if I were accepted. On the flip side, other schools did not require that and as long as you had your pre-requisites done from undergrad they would still accept you if you did not finish.
 
I do not have a percentage of people that got into a school vs people that did not get into a school. I can try to estimate for you though. There were probably 10 or so that applied in the normal MD/DO cycle, and out of those 10 I believe 5 got into a school.



My school that I ended up picking was a blind interview (meaning they did not look at my file during interviewing), so they didn't require the first semester transcripts for the interview, but they eventually did need it to make their final decision. As far as I know, all of the people that got into a school had their interviews done during the first semester. So I guess their situation about not needing the transcript at first was the same, but eventually the schools did need the transcript.

The advisors have a point, your application (if you had previously applied) would not be much different from before (if you applied back to back), and applying before the program starts with no grades to show does not offer the schools much to work on. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me to apply back to back. I might have had enough going for me that when my first semester grades came through it was enough evidence for them to make their final decision based on that.

It is a risky thing to do, because if you don't make it, you are out another year and are out a lot of money in terms of application fees and so on. So, if you really think that you can get in this time, then its worth the shot to apply early and get your AMCAS in and see where it goes from there. But like your advisors said earlier, most schools don't seriously look at you if you don't have your grades from the first semester, which means you are really late during the cycle then.



I can't say it won't help you, but I don't know exactly how much it will help you. A few of the schools I applied to, and the one I chose, did make me sign a form saying I would finish the program if I were accepted. On the flip side, other schools did not require that and as long as you had your pre-requisites done from undergrad they would still accept you if you did not finish.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I have not applied to medical school before. I am going to apply now so that I have a chance of starting medical school as soon as I finish the program instead of waiting one year after finishing the program.

So based on what you said, if your previous stats are good enough, you may even have may interviews even before you finish your first semester. I really did not want to wait two years before I start medical school, so hopefully just attending the program gives them enough incentive to interview me at the least,

Did you qualify for the RWJMS interview or what were the reasons why you did not choose RWJMS?

I was really going back and forth between doing this program or taking my acceptance at a caribbean medical school. I do not mind an MD from there so thats not an issue. Just the possibility spending two years from now before even starting medical school is the part that bothers me.
 
I did qualify to enter into the AAP program. I was out of state for undergrad and this masters program- and I kept my residency in my home state because I knew it would be easier to get into than in NJ or anywhere else (and it would be a lot cheaper for me as well). Once I found out that I had been accepted, I withdrew my applications from everywhere else. There was no point in me applying through the AAP because my home state school was my top choice.

It's a tough question about whether to do the program or go to the Caribbean. You would have to really look at the pros and cons of both and see which is the best for you ($$$ wise, time wise, other career goals, and etc).
 
I did qualify to enter into the AAP program. I was out of state for undergrad and this masters program- and I kept my residency in my home state because I knew it would be easier to get into than in NJ or anywhere else (and it would be a lot cheaper for me as well). Once I found out that I had been accepted, I withdrew my applications from everywhere else. There was no point in me applying through the AAP because my home state school was my top choice.

It's a tough question about whether to do the program or go to the Caribbean. You would have to really look at the pros and cons of both and see which is the best for you ($$$ wise, time wise, other career goals, and etc).

Thanks for all your help and, congratulations on the medical school acceptance!
 
What is the avg class size here?

Well, although this link http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/MSMBS/MSMBS_FAQ.html says otherwise, we only had about 30 people in our year.

I am assuming it is way to late for the AAP program.

I'm not sure what you completely mean by that. I put a link to the AAP program below, just read through that. If you feel like that didn't do the trick, feel free to ask again. But in short, you apply to it AFTER the first semester, so it isn't "too late" for you or anyone else in your year to apply.

http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/AAP.html

Was it your experience that most of the kids in your class got an interview at RWJ?

Yes, I would say a majority of people did meet the pre-reqs required. But that doesn't mean everyone applied, everyone having different reasons of course.

I am also curious about how you updated schools, mid semester or after first semester?

I just sent all my updated information at the end of the first semester. The schools won't really make any decisions based on your grades you send them throughout the semester, nor will they trust it, they tend to only look at official documents from the school.
 
Hey is anyone applying for this for the 2013-2014 year? Any current students willing to answer questions?

I've looked around quite a bit but it is hard to find any specific info on this program. Is it competitive to get into? Good linkage?
 
I've been trying to send my application in for the past four days but every time I try to log onto the portal it won't ever load? I can type my acct and password but it just never loads after that. Anyone else having this issue?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey is anyone applying for this for the 2013-2014 year? Any current students willing to answer questions?

I've looked around quite a bit but it is hard to find any specific info on this program. Is it competitive to get into? Good linkage?
I would love to answer questions about the program. I am a current student in the program and I'll be the first to tell you all that the website and program description is vastly different from what the program actually is like. Feel free to message me with any questions!
 
Hi everyone. I am going to apply here for entrance in the 2013-2014 year. I am hoping that I am not too late. I just took my GRE today and will soon have my LORs in hand.

My stats
In State
3.65 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA (these should both be about .1 higher by the end of this semester)
GRE- 165Q/165V/7W
I have almost no ECs other than the fact that I am a personal trainer and a biochem/orgo tutor

Should I be okay?

Also, I am curious about the AAP program. Why is it that so few students take advantage of it? Are they applying to other schools? Would it be in my best interest? RWJ is my number one choice for medical school as well.
 
Also, I am curious about the AAP program. Why is it that so few students take advantage of it? Are they applying to other schools?

AAP sounds like an opportunity to earn an interview in March with no promises of acceptances.

They even emphasize: "The number of RWJMS slots available through this program is limited since these interviews are held in late spring.

This deal does not interest me. I'll try my luck at some other SMP.
 
AAP sounds like an opportunity to earn an interview in March with no promises of acceptances.

They even emphasize: "The number of RWJMS slots available through this program is limited since these interviews are held in late spring.

This deal does not interest me. I'll try my luck at some other SMP.
As a current student, I wish I had done the same. Only about 2-3 students will gain acceptance this class.
 
Hi everybody!

I've been accepted to this program as well as another program and im trying to decide which one to go with. Problem is, i have not heard much at all about how students in this program rate it/review it after they leave. I was wondering if current and past students of this program can share their opinions? Your likes/dislikes, if you felt you got a boost from this program, if you struggled in the program or if you thought it was fairly easy. Any info about it would be highly appreciated!
Also, if anyone can throw in how much time they spent working on the research portion of this program? Really if you could just describe your typical week and if you felt u had time to work etc. or were really tied down to studying that would help me out a lot! Thanks! Please share!