UMDNJ/Rutgers vs DUKE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuscleAndBones4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looking for any Rutgers/UMDNJ-Newark students or Duke students to give me any pro's and con's of their school and its program. Also a class schedule would be fantastic. I am applying to both of these next cycle and they are my top two programs. UMDNJ because I could get in state tuition and Duke well.... because is Duke! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted by Duke a few years ago but declined after a cold hard look at the tuition numbers. I chose to attend UNC instead. A DPT degree is like a driver's license, and school pedigree is irrelevant, unlike in medicine, law and business (MBAs). I don't know about your personal circumstances, but for me a choice between in-state tuition and Duke's would be a very easy one.

Saying you went to Duke is not worth the amount of debt you will incur to attend these costly programs. This is something I have realized during the application process and wish I had not applied to a few programs that I will would not attend (Duke and Drexel for example). Jblil is on point, this is not a MBA or MD degree. From what I can tell, where you went to school is not the end all be all. Yes, it could open up a connection or two due to alumni and networking, but it doesn't seem to affect you in the hiring process. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but overall this seems to be the trend. If money is not an issue, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

Looking for any Rutgers/UMDNJ-Newark students or Duke students to give me any pro's and con's of their school and its program. Also a class schedule would be fantastic. I am applying to both of these next cycle and they are my top two programs. UMDNJ because I could get in state tuition and Duke well.... because is Duke! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello! I have been accepted into Duke through early admission already this cycle. I think it is all a matter of opinion because, to me, the debt is worth going to Duke and working with top notch facility. During my interview day they mentioned that we are pretty much in class our first year from 8-5 with an hour for lunch. I am sure all programs have a similar number of classroom hours, but how they set it up may be a littler different. Here is the link to Duke's curriculum (http://dpt.duhs.duke.edu/Academics/Curriculum/).

Going to duke just because it's "duke" is pointless and a complete waste of $$. Listen to everyone here and thank us later when your loans are cut in half.

keep in mind that NJ in-state tuition is ridiculously high, i believe Rutgers clocks in just around 30K, while duke is 34 K a year. at that point, plus cost of living in NJ- id say it becomes a negligible difference- I'd go duke over rutgers everytime. plus you won't have to deal with Newark.

to the points of the other posters, it'd be much harder to justify a 50K difference in total, but thats not what we're talking about with NJ

to the points of the other posters, it'd be much harder to justify a 50K difference in total, but thats not what we're talking about with NJ

The OP lives in jersey so not too sure what your referring to with "cost of living in jersey". Also, I go to Rutgers and instate tuition is 24k so that was off as well. If you would rather move to North Carolina and pay rent for 3 years to brag to your peers that you go to duke then by all means go for it. To each their own, but don't just rattle off random numbers to justify your point.

The OP lives in jersey so not too sure what your referring to with "cost of living in jersey". Also, I go to Rutgers and instate tuition is 24k so that was off as well. If you would rather move to North Carolina and pay rent for 3 years to brag to your peers that you go to duke then by all means go for it. To each their own, but don't just rattle off random numbers to justify your point.

I mentioned cost of living because he didn't say anything about being able to live at home with parents and commute in. if that's the case that would be cheaper than having to pay rent in any state obviously. if he lives too far away or wants to live out then rent is pretty steep in NJ compared to NC.

I couldn't find exact numbers for Rutgers but here is for stockton, another state school which i was assuming was comparable to rutgers. http://intraweb.stockton.edu/eyos/page.cfm?siteID=91&pageID=7#Doc_torate_Students

tuition and fees comes out to 28 and change a year. considering tuition goes up 3-5 percent every year your looking at tuition being above 30K a year while he's in-state in NJ.

compare this with say, Western Carolina where the entire DPT's instate tuition is under 40K, and I think my point about NJ state tuition being high is justified.

but my bad didn't mean to give false info, obviously the OP gotta go to his interview and figure out which is the right path for himself. theres a lot to weigh into it. my general point was at the end of the day, I didn't see a LARGE disparity of total cost of attendance (unless he is actually living at home and doesn't have to do room and board).