UMDNJ-SOM Adcom meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think pineapple is hoping to get off the waitlist, though sadly I think waitlisted people will not hear until june unless you have like an 84.something

Anyone know what's the range of composite scores on the waitlist? Like which score would be a rejection post interview?

i thought you were on the waitlist..:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I don't know about the expanding stuff (though that would be awesome!)... the Class of 2010 was their biggest class thus far with 100 people (Fall newsletter)

As far the adcom goes...when you go for your interview and they take your picture, they'll hand you a paper that says who you're interviewing with and when the adcom meets next. Since they last met on 1/19/07 i assume the next meeting with be like 2/16 since that's about a month away from the last date.

Hi everyone I am new to SDN, I did read through all the previous messages, and I have to say this is an interesting bunch. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and best of luck to those on the waiting list. I have a few questions, like most of you UMDNJ is my first choice, I just got notified on my interview this week, and I am in the process of scheduling it.

My first question is does anyone know what number they are expanding the class size to, and if it is going to take effect for this upcomming class?

Is anyone out there scheduled for an interview at UMDNJ?

Does anyone know when the Adcom will be meeting next?

Hi everyone I am new to SDN, I did read through all the previous messages, and I have to say this is an interesting bunch. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and best of luck to those on the waiting list. I have a few questions, like most of you UMDNJ is my first choice, I just got notified on my interview this week, and I am in the process of scheduling it.

My first question is does anyone know what number they are expanding the class size to, and if it is going to take effect for this upcomming class?

Is anyone out there scheduled for an interview at UMDNJ?

Does anyone know when the Adcom will be meeting next?

Congrats on your interview and good luck :luck:

If I remember correctly, I was told after my interview that the class size for 2011 will be 125 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). To accommodate this, the wall between the 1st and 2nd year classrooms was torn down to make one big classroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow!!!

Man I hope that's true. 25 more seats =)

Congrats on your interview and good luck :luck:

If I remember correctly, I was told after my interview that the class size for 2011 will be 125 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). To accommodate this, the wall between the 1st and 2nd year classrooms was torn down to make one big classroom.

oh wow!!!

Man I hope that's true. 25 more seats =)

well, that's maybe 40-50 accepted for those extra 25 seats, right?? you always want to overestimate for those that will turn down a spot :p

Thanks susaan, and tengerluvcare, your responses were very helpfull. :)

So only one person heard from the adcom this time? Strange. Maybe they didn't interview as much between December and Jan?

Anybody out there with interviews to UMDNJ-SOM?

For those that have interviewed at SOM any advise?

Anyone want to tell me how this point system works? What factors in? (everything?) How much the raw scores are worth, etc. ?

Seems like an interesting system, and I would assume lots of other schools use it also, but are not as forthcoming with the info...

Good luck everyone :luck: :thumbup:

its a system out of 100 with 20 points definitely coming from the interview. Specifically 4 categories scored out of 5 points each. Some poitns come from undergrad prestige. No mention has been made about research or clinical experience although I'd be doubtful if that wasn't at least 10 points. The rest is probably academic record and MCAT.

85/100=acceptance

its a system out of 100 with 20 points definitely coming from the interview. Specifically 4 categories scored out of 5 points each. Some poitns come from undergrad prestige. No mention has been made about research or clinical experience although I'd be doubtful if that wasn't at least 10 points. The rest is probably academic record and MCAT.

85/100=acceptance

a little less straight forward than I thought... ;) it's nice to know where you are on the waitlist, though

I understand that being a ventriloquist while simultaneously twirling a baton lands you a bag of Doritos.

Members don't see this ad :)

85/100=acceptance

That means to get an interview invite, u need at least 65 /70 points pre- interview?

..or frustrating when you're so close you can taste it but you can't bank on it.

Kuba, if you were accepted to NJ, would you definitely drop your NSU acceptance?

Could somebody give me an educated guess as to what I should expect from SOM based on my horrific stats? I interviewed on 2/5/07 and the AdCom meets on the 16th

Cum GPA: <3.0
Science GPA: <3.0
MCAT: 35R
2 years of research in psychology/sociology
Seemingly great interview

Also, should I send out a thank you letter for the interview? I don't wanna seem like I'm manipulating them, I'm actually thankful that I would get an opportunity to interview with these stats.

Thanks, people.

Could somebody give me an educated guess as to what I should expect from SOM based on my horrific stats? I interviewed on 2/5/07 and the AdCom meets on the 16th

Also, should I send out a thank you letter for the interview? I don't wanna seem like I'm manipulating them, I'm actually thankful that I would get an opportunity to interview with these stats.

Thanks, people.

Your MCAT score is pretty awesome. Did you get recommendations from any MD or DO?

You should definitely send a thank you letter.

Thanks, people.

Congrats on the good MCAT!

Your MCAT score is pretty awesome. Did you get recommendations from any MD or DO?

You should definitely send a thank you letter.

Oh, forgot to mention...no MD/DO LOR, either :scared:

I did send 6 LORs, though. I had waaay too much stuff going on at home to be able to do anything outside of school and work. I wish I'd shadowed a doctor but I did deal with a lot of them on a daily basis at work for research. It was a professional relationship, nothing where I could get an LOR.

Congrats on the good MCAT!

Thanks, I worked hard to get that. As you can see, it was probably my only chance to be considered for med school. "Extenuating Circumstances" is my middle name.

Thanks, I worked hard to get that. As you can see, it was probably my only chance to be considered for med school. "Extenuating Circumstances" is my middle name.

Hey, but you did, and that is awesome!! Good luck!

Oh, forgot to mention...no MD/DO LOR, either :scared:

I did send 6 LORs, though. I had waaay too much stuff going on at home to be able to do anything outside of school and work. I wish I'd shadowed a doctor but I did deal with a lot of them on a daily basis at work for research. It was a professional relationship, nothing where I could get an LOR.

If you do research with someone who is a MD or and DO you can still get a recommendation from them. Since they have gone through medical school they are aware of what it takes to succeed in medical school. Therefore, you can ask them to write a recommendation that would say how your work ethics and how well you learn and perform at work shows that you have what it takes to complete medical school and become a successful doctor. Or something along those lines.

If you do research with someone who is a MD or and DO you can still get a recommendation from them. Since they have gone through medical school they are aware of what it takes to succeed in medical school. Therefore, you can ask them to write a recommendation that would say how your work ethics and how well you learn and perform at work shows that you have what it takes to complete medical school and become a successful doctor. Or something along those lines.

Thanks for the tip. However, I wasn't really working "with" them in that sense. I had to visit a lot of hospitals and clinics to recruit and interview patients. I talked to the physicians and counselors briefly to discuss the patient and the treatment, then I would interview the patient.

There wasn't very intimate interaction but I definitely had a good idea about what they were doing. I didn't know any of these people well enough to ask for something like that. 26 different sites and 3-5 people to talk to at each site made that very difficult.

Thanks for the tip. However, I wasn't really working "with" them in that sense. I had to visit a lot of hospitals and clinics to recruit and interview patients. I talked to the physicians and counselors briefly to discuss the patient and the treatment, then I would interview the patient.

There wasn't very intimate interaction but I definitely had a good idea about what they were doing. I didn't know any of these people well enough to ask for something like that. 26 different sites and 3-5 people to talk to at each site made that very difficult.

I'd still ask. Can't hurt, explain your situation, and ask for the letter anyway. I think it's very important for UMDNJ.

unless you know something specific about your situation, anyone who is on the waitlist (and who's score has not been bumped over the edge by GPA re-calculations, etc.), we won't know at least until before may. i don't think at the new adcom meetings that they consider many on the waitlist, since they are discussing students who just interviewed and are on hold.

unless you know something specific about your situation, anyone who is on the waitlist (and who's score has not been bumped over the edge by GPA re-calculations, etc.), we won't know at least until before may. i don't think at the new adcom meetings that they consider many on the waitlist, since they are discussing students who just interviewed and are on hold.

I think I might be getting re-reviewed because part of my application changed, so I'm excited for this week's meeting :)

I don't think that's true. I talked with someone in admin last week or so on the phone and they said that if your GPA or something even as little as that changes, it may be looked at again sooner.

Where did you get this info?

from a very, very reliable source. though - it might have been information for my case specifically. paula also said that in the past, the majority of the waitlist movement hasn't been until may. pineapple - you do have a good point - that changes could bring attention to your file and that it gets re-reviewed. i am definitely hoping for the best, but i also want to be realistic. good luck to all on the waitlist :oops:)

how do you know that people heard already?

When was the adcom meeting? I noticed that a few people posted on the board saying that they got accepted. One guy(or girl) posted on the SOM Osteopathic Class Thread, saying that he(or she) got the call on Feb 16th.

Funny aside: 30 seconds after I posted that message my cell phone started ringing and the phone number had an 865 area code. I FREAKED until I realized that SOM is in an 856 area code. I was getting a call from Knoxville, TN about a rental car. :mad:

Funny aside: 30 seconds after I posted that message my cell phone started ringing and the phone number had an 865 area code. I FREAKED until I realized that SOM is in an 856 area code. I was getting a call from Knoxville, TN about a rental car. :mad:

Aw!

I have the admissions phone number programmed in so I'll know if it's them (everyone on my phone is either 856/609).

I was on the waitlist. I recently sent in a letter of intent, 3 more LORs and another one of my recommenders called Paula personally.

I heard from a source that they want to look at the waitlist in March.

I was on the waitlist. I recently sent in 3 more LORs and another one of my recommenders called Paula personally.

Wow, congratulations!

Now my own thoughts: UGH! They called somebody on the waitlist and I haven't been called yet?? I give up :(

Does the adcom usually meet only once a month during the second or third week or are the meetings more often than that?

I was on the waitlist. I recently sent in a letter of intent, 3 more LORs and another one of my recommenders called Paula personally.

Congrats, DOC! Congratulations!