UMDNJSOM scandal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, UMDNJSOM is my first choice for this cycle. However, my mother (RN) was talking to some doctors at work who said to stay away form UNJ because of some scandal that they had recently that will affect future grads. He said to go to Philly or UNE instead. I am sceptical since I haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this? Can Nate weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

DRKUBA said:
As some of you may know, UMDNJSOM is my first choice for this cycle. However, my mother (RN) was talking to some doctors at work who said to stay away form UNJ because of some scandal that they had recently that will affect future grads. He said to go to Philly or UNE instead. I am sceptical since I haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this? Can Nate weigh in?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=273173

Members don't see this ad :)
It never hurts to apply....Hopefully by next year they will be cleared of everything and all will be well...But IMO..it is a gamble...to attend if there is a chance they will lose accreditation.

who said we're going to lose accreditation, someone who's on the wait list?

could this affect their residency programs as well?

DOctorJay said:
who said we're going to lose accreditation, someone who's on the wait list?

There have been no threats of revoking accreditation and this is a money issue. Nothing with the students at UMDNJ-SOM (except for the president). I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope residency placement won't be affected. The school has a great reputation and their grads match into competitive residencies. I pray this incident won't change things somehow.

What about if you did not attend UMDNJ but want to do a UMDNJ residency? Could this be affected (i.e. residency programs lose funding)? Or are you just referring to negative views on placement having graduated from the SOM?

B-

brodaiga said:
I hope residency placement won't be affected. The school has a great reputation and their grads match into competitive residencies. I pray this incident won't change things somehow.

BMW19 said:
What about if you did not attend UMDNJ but want to do a UMDNJ residency? Could this be affected (i.e. residency programs lose funding)? Or are you just referring to negative views on placement having graduated from the SOM?

B-

negative views

I'm sorry to keep this thread going (the title is so Star Magazine!), but I would think that any residency program would give a SOM graduate the benefit of the doubt regarding scandals concerning a few individuals in the SOM administration. I realize that sometimes a bad reputation can rub off on innocent bystanders, but in this case, I doubt that anyone will look down upon SOM students or graduates for simply attending what is otherwise a fantastic school.

When I visited, the students, faculty, and staff struck me again and again as some of the nicest, most helpful individuals I have encountered. I have heard only good things about the medical training students receive at SOM. What's more, the students I met seemed happy with their SOM education and experience. The recently exposed financial missteps on the part of a few administrators haven't changed any of this.

I do agree it would be helpful if the administration could offer some kind of statement to allay the fears of new and prospective students, but it sounds like the problems are being corrected and that student life will proceed as usual.

I am only going into my second year at SOM, but I sincerely doubt any of us SOM students will be adversely affected by this at any point in the process, including residency placement. As mentioned earlier, we do have a strong reputation as an educational institution and an impressive match most every year. And you're absolutely correct about our students showing the true colors of the school, by and large being some of the most generous, compassionate people I have ever known. Dean Cavalieri is an excellent interim dean, in my opinion, and it sounds as thought Dr. Vladeck will truly clean up the entire University. However, I believe it is the students who will truly carry the University through this and restore its good name.

It sounds odd, but in a way this does have a significant upside. Had there never been problems up north and we were never monitored as a University, the corruption of a few powerful individuals at SOM may never have been discovered. The publicity hurts badly right now, no doubt about it. But in the long run, I'm glad that we're "clean" going forward.

I'll be interested to see what kind of effect this has on applications next year. As for newly admitted students to the Class of 2010, I'm sure the administration will calm your fears during Orientation. The students and faculty at this school are too talented and diligent to let this hinder our academic mission.

Actually my post was about NON- UMDNJ students attending a UMDNJ residency. I just meant could the residency programs be affected (i.e. funding). I was not implying that it makes the UMDNJ students any less quality

ornis4 said:
I am only going into my second year at SOM, but I sincerely doubt any of us SOM students will be adversely affected by this at any point in the process, including residency placement. As mentioned earlier, we do have a strong reputation as an educational institution and an impressive match most every year. And you're absolutely correct about our students showing the true colors of the school, by and large being some of the most generous, compassionate people I have ever known. Dean Cavalieri is an excellent interim dean, in my opinion, and it sounds as thought Dr. Vladeck will truly clean up the entire University. However, I believe it is the students who will truly carry the University through this and restore its good name.

It sounds odd, but in a way this does have a significant upside. Had there never been problems up north and we were never monitored as a University, the corruption of a few powerful individuals at SOM may never have been discovered. The publicity hurts badly right now, no doubt about it. But in the long run, I'm glad that we're "clean" going forward.

I'll be interested to see what kind of effect this has on applications next year. As for newly admitted students to the Class of 2010, I'm sure the administration will calm your fears during Orientation. The students and faculty at this school are too talented and diligent to let this hinder our academic mission.

A scandal isn't going to shut down the entire UMDNJ system and they are not going to lose their accreditation and their residencies are going to be unaffected. All the drama is bad PR for the school, but in the long run it isn't going to have any affect on students...UMDNJ is going to be fine. And I don't even go there.

UMDNJ reports: a leaf fell on the roof of the academic center signaling the start of Fall.

Press: OH NO a tree and all it’s leaves fell on the roof and it has collapsed! UMDNJ is bankrupt and all of NJ's residents will have to seek medical care in other states, the students have been sent back to kindergarten all the professors have suffered immediate brain damage.

SDN Poster 1: I heard UMDNJ imploded and left a crater in the earth that will destroy the whole state

SDN poster 2: I told you Osteopaths are worthless!

SDN poster 3: I heard all of UMDNJ's hospitals, schools, and the state medical care facilities have been a conspiracy all along and they were really training circus performers.

Nate said:
UMDNJ reports: a leaf fell on the roof of the academic center signaling the start of Fall.

Press: OH NO a tree and all it’s leaves fell on the roof and it has collapsed! UMDNJ is bankrupt and all of NJ's residents will have to seek medical care in other states, the students have been sent back to kindergarten all the professors have suffered immediate brain damage.

SDN Poster 1: I heard UMDNJ imploded and left a crater in the earth that will destroy the whole state

SDN poster 2: I told you Osteopaths are worthless!

SDN poster 3: I heard all of UMDNJ's hospitals, schools, and the state medical care facilities have been a conspiracy all along and they were really training circus performers.

ahhhh....alas! the Fallacy of the Slippery Slope. I love it!

newyorkcougar said:
A scandal isn't going to shut down the entire UMDNJ system and they are not going to lose their accreditation and their residencies are going to be unaffected. All the drama is bad PR for the school, but in the long run it isn't going to have any affect on students...UMDNJ is going to be fine. And I don't even go there.

Yeah, I know that alot of this has been blown up by the press, but when an institution is accused of 70 mil of Medicaid fraud the effect on residencies is not such a non-issue. Where do you think funding for the programs comes from. I don't think there will be a prob, at least I hope not, but you cont deny the possibility.

EastCoaster78 said:
Yeah, I know that alot of this has been blown up by the press, but when an institution is accused of 70 mil of Medicaid fraud the effect on residencies is not such a non-issue. Where do you think funding for the programs comes from. I don't think there will be a prob, at least I hope not, but you cont deny the possibility.

The institution was not accused, just University Hospital. From that point, the entire system cam under federal monitoring.

Someone stirred the pot and now all the **** is coming out.

DRKUBA said:

I thought this was about the UMDNJ Dental School scandal. Is that affecting the medical school at all?

CuttinEmUp said:
ahhhh....alas! the Fallacy of the Slippery Slope. I love it!
OKAY, now is the time for a faculty member to weigh in here....
Nate is correct...The press is having a field day. But let's be relaistic here...UMDNJ is not the only school that has been caught by the Medicare billing scandals(University fo Washington, U penn, U pitt and the list is growing..)..and a lot of hospitals have been caught also( st Barnabas just got a big settlement for thier doublebilling) UMDNJ-SOM just had some adminsitrators caught with thier fingers in the pie, who pretty much figured they were better than the average Joe. The majority of the faculty here at SOM is appalled that these adminstrators have done this and continue to provide a quality academic experience. Most of us genuinely care four students and residents.
I would hope that when our AOA institional inspection occurs this fall we will have our usual stellar evalution.

Oculus Sinistra said:
I thought this was about the UMDNJ Dental School scandal. Is that affecting the medical school at all?
Oh the dental school scandal???hmmph...Frankly SOM has always had a bit where students are informed of ethics and cheating at the beginning of the year. Cheating is "supposed" to be an instant expulsion deal.
The students at hte Dental school did have a similar ethics statement, but it seems that what they were doing was something which had been going on for years and years..and was only recently "brought to light" after complaints of students who were not going to granduate because they "refused to play the game".
It's a double standard issue and will not go away quickly. I understand that a group of the students who did not get thier degrees are going to sue....citing that double standard

DermpathDO said:
OKAY, now is the time for a faculty member to weigh in here....
Nate is correct...The press is having a field day. But let's be relaistic here...UMDNJ is not the only school that has been caught by the Medicare billing scandals(University fo Washington, U penn, U pitt and the list is growing..)..and a lot of hospitals have been caught also( st Barnabas just got a big settlement for thier doublebilling) UMDNJ-SOM just had some adminsitrators caught with thier fingers in the pie, who pretty much figured they were better than the average Joe. The majority of the faculty here at SOM is appalled that these adminstrators have done this and continue to provide a quality academic experience. Most of us genuinely care four students and residents.
I would hope that when our AOA institional inspection occurs this fall we will have our usual stellar evalution.

Bravo :clap: Well said! I hope now my situation is rectified by the pesident's office. Funny how the universe unfolds